Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Generation Why

• Start Topic

I wasn't sure if I would be into this show but I watched it today with my kids and they liked it and it was actually pretty fun. I am curious to see where it goes and if it actually ends up being a Marvel show without a season long big bad type boss villain.

On 6/8/2022 at 5:21 AM, AnimeMania said:

Bruno way too smart.

Is he too smart? For our world sure, but the MCU is a place where the smartest guy in the world cracked time travel in about 5 minutes and where Peter Parker another high school kid just invented web fluid in his spare time and that is something that would be a way bigger game changer than a home made Alexa.

On 6/9/2022 at 6:43 PM, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Scott was absolutely not in the Battle Of New York, but you wouldn't know it if you attended a showing of Rogers: The Musical. 

Well he was there, it only took time travel to get him there though. And even after watching Loki it is not clear if that is something people in the main MCU might be aware of.

Also I am impressed that someone made the effort to rebuild Camp Lehigh after Hydra blew it up and then turned it into a convention space.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

This show seems like it's going to be fun. it has a strong, vibrant feel, and none of the drab, lifeless colours of other MCU shows (looking at you, Moon Knight). I liked the visualisation of their messenger chats a lot, and the graphics heavy montages.

Kamala is the right mix of precocious, funny and obnoxious that feels like a real teenager who wants to forge her own identity that differs from her family's ideas. I imagine she's someone a lot of people can identify with.

I like her brother more in this than I did in the comic, where he was very one-note. I can't say too much about the portrayal of faith in the show, as I'm no expert on it, but her dad being the easygoing, relaxed one is nice.

However, I must be getting old, because the kids were all talking way too fast for me to follow their conversations.

• Love 1

I enjoyed this episode once I accepted I'm An Old and not the target audience. Some of the problems Kamala was stressed over were ... not a big deal. But then again to a 16 year-old yeah they would be. The parents' compromise for AvengersCon seemed really reasonable to me.  My local ComicCon is an all-ages event, and quite a few families go in themed costumes.  No, she didn't want to go as Hulk but maybe she could have negotiated going as Captain Marvel if she showed her mom the costume she'd been making, or just brought it with her to change into during the cosplay contest.  And her dad was so excited to go!  Kamala's at an age where she's drifting away from her parents so he was likely looking forward to some father-daughter time. (Needless to say at the end of that scene *he* was the one I felt most sympathy for.)   

I haven't read the comics, so please feel free to laugh if I'm way off base, but I was getting "evil scientist in the making" vibes from Bruno. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Silver-hyren said:

I haven't read the comics, so please feel free to laugh if I'm way off base, but I was getting "evil scientist in the making" vibes from Bruno. 

He might be putting a listening device in the Khan Household.

11 hours ago, Silver-hyren said:

The actor has a bit of a young Neil Patrick Harris look to him, and I've always thought Harris should have taken more villainous roles (not including Dr. Horrible).

I had very strong vibes of Ramy meets Scott Pilgrim watching this, which is a very positive thing in my opinion!

Both the visual style and the tone of the story felt very organic and I really hope they manage to keep that the whole season. I especially liked the sequence when they are biking and their ideas of costumes appear as street art on the various buildings. And showing Kamala doodling all the time made it feel totally earned.

I personally can't wait for her to interact with Spider-man, as they are basically neighbours and giv off a kind of similar vibe: energetic and enthusiastic even if sometimes a bit out of their depth. Although a team-up with Kate Bishop would also be interesting, as @AimingforYoko pointed out!

• Like 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, twoods said:

I hope Bruno doesn’t become evil. I like his character so far.

I just hope he isn't secretly in love with Kamala. Or that she is secretly in love with him only to tell him and then find out he is actually gay.

40 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Plot twist: Kamala is in love with Zoe and that's one of the reasons she saved her at Avenger Con.

I was thinking that too. From the I like your jacket scene. 

I've read the comics, very casually, so I knew a rough idea of the character and her family. The mom was less strict than my own mother was when i was a teen...in fact, less so than today when I'm nearly 50, but that's probably a topic for my own therapist...

Enjoyable first ep. I liked the slight change to her brother's character, making him more of an ally, and Kamala's enthusiasm just leapt off the screen. 

• Love 1
On 6/10/2022 at 11:48 AM, wmdekooning said:

Admittedly, I’m not familiar with Pakistani immigrant culture, but I would have thought a more recent immigrant group would be more “modern” in outlook and behaviour. 

I'm curious why that's your assumption. 

Think not just about the year of their migration, but also their culture/religion.  And in terms of modernity, remember that a culture can be modern in some ways, but super-tradtional in others.

Although with Pakistan, you've got extremes like the capital, Islamabad, with plenty of modern stuff, to rural villages with people who live largely the same as their ancestors.

• Love 1

Really late to the party, just now binging.

First 2 minutes: Anyone else notice Kamala’s drawing of Captain Marvel smoking? Weird that Disney would have this in a show aimed at high school kids, especially in light of this from 2015: “Disney bans smoking in all future films including Star Wars and Marvel Comics”

Not a freeze frame either, the shot lasted a couple seconds.

13461C19-995B-41FD-AF92-44CA4A931492.jpeg

(edited)
2 hours ago, kay1864 said:

First 2 minutes: Anyone else notice Kamala’s drawing of Captain Marvel smoking? Weird that Disney would have this in a show aimed at high school kids, especially in light of this from 2015: “Disney bans smoking in all future films including Star Wars and Marvel Comics”

Backwards lollipop.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Wink 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
6 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Backwards lollipop.

I briefly thought that might be the case, but that makes no sense. Nobody does that.

Edited by kay1864
  • Love 1
31 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

It doesn't make sense, but it also looks nothing like a cigarette and exactly like a lollipop.

🤷‍♂️ Maybe they are on their way to banning candy and sugary drink usage in all future films. Unless the company pays for a product placement of course.

33 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

It doesn't make sense, but it also looks nothing like a cigarette and exactly like a lollipop.

I was looking at it from a comic POV, with a glowing cigarette end, but YMMV

• Useful 1
13 hours ago, kay1864 said:

The framing makes me think of Fight Club with a lollipop as the PG stand in for a cigarette. It looks just like a lollipop.

5 hours ago, kay1864 said:

I was looking at it from a comic POV, with a glowing cigarette end, but YMMV

Comic book style would typically have a glowing tip, not a red circle, and there would be smoke coming off the end.

On 7/3/2022 at 3:58 PM, arc said:

Comic book style would typically have a glowing tip, not a red circle, and there would be smoke coming off the end.

Depends totally on the style of comic we’re talking about. 

To me it requires far less imagination for that to be a cigarette, than for someone to be holding a lollipop that way in their mouth, which absolutely no one does.

But like I said, YMMV.

• Love 1
On 6/11/2022 at 11:03 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

I am curious to see where it goes and if it actually ends up being a Marvel show without a season long big bad type boss villain.

I would love it if that's the case. I really get tired of seeing The Hero fight the same Big Bad endlessly. It's much more fun and interesting if they take on multiple worldly challenges instead of one Supernatural Target, in my opinion. 

On 6/13/2022 at 8:26 AM, Kel Varnsen said:

just hope he isn't secretly in love with Kamala. Or that she is secretly in love with him 

I thought they were going to kiss in the rooftop scene. I didn't think it was secretly anything, but maybe I'm off-base.

--

I know nothing of the comics and very little about MCU in general, and came to the show after seeing an interview with the lead actress, who was mind-bogglingly charming and likable in her interview. So I wanted to see what her show was like.

I liked this episode and plan to watch the rest of the series. I was sad to hear it had been cancelled after 1 season, but will watch it anyway.

I think Kamala needs to talk to her Nani right away! 

I also wonder why her parents trust Bruno so much. I get that he's charmed them with his good kid, helpful kid persona, but still... he's a teen, he's a boy, and you'd think they'd be more suspicious of him.

The school principal or counselor or whoever he was is a surprisingly reasonable guy. I was expecting the usual "trying too hard to be hip and just being a total doof" characterization but he wasn't actually wrong to be concerned about her, and he approached it in a fairly grounded way despite his trying-to-be-hip persona.

Did Kamala crash the car on purpose to try to get out of helping with the wedding tasks, or were they really saying she's that much of a space case?

I totally missed the maybe-she's-attracted-to-that girl implication from the scene where she doles out a compliment after bumping into her on the stairs. I usually catch that stuff, so if that's what they're doing, I will be happy but it was somehow too subtle for me. I thought they were definitely saying she and Bruno were attracted to each other, in the rooftop scene, and I thought it was one of those "we've been friends a long time and don't want to risk it" moments. But I could very well be wrong. It's notable that both the girl and Bruno have the same color hair, though. It kind of bums me out that her peer friendships are all outside the Pakistani culture. I don't want her to be a token among blondes.

12 hours ago, possibilities said:

I was sad to hear it had been cancelled after 1 season, but will watch it anyway.

I don’t think it’s been canceled. But Disney Plus doesn’t need its Marvel shows to get multiple seasons; the meta-show is the larger MCU, with the streaming shows as the hook to get subscribers. Marvel is using these shows as a way to introduce new characters or revisit old ones with more breathing room than a feature film typically allows.

and Ms Marvel will appear next in The Marvels (the second Captain Marvel movie). I personally hope Marvel will come back and make another season of this show, but nothing’s either promised or ruled out about that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
On 6/9/2022 at 2:45 AM, arc said:

of course, James Rhodes and Bruce Banner were recast, early on in the MCU, but phase 1 was a completely different world from now.

I always wonder if Terrance Howard regrets not coming back for Iron Man 2.

I saw the trailer for The Marvels before GotG3, and I wanted to catch this show. I’m loving Kamala’s infectious energy, and her devotion as a fan girl. I could tell how deeply her Mom was hurt by the rejection of the Hulk costume she designed.

On 6/10/2022 at 10:48 AM, wmdekooning said:

For me she was over the top annoying.

I will admit my family may have been unusual (I don’t think so), we’re an African American family, so traditional in that way, and while my 1970s-1980s youth had it’s restrictions, both my sister and I had way more leeway than Kamala Khan who was born sometime in the 2000s.

I wasn’t surprised by the mother’s behavior at all. I’m from an ADOS family and my turn of the millennium adolescence (I was born in 1985) had about as many restrictions as Kamala. I wasn’t allowed to ride bikes or take public transit. I would’ve been allowed to go to the comic convention, but at 16, my Mom probably would’ve make me go with an older cousin or a group of friends, and although the costume Kamala was wearing would’ve been fine, the ones the other Capt Marvels were wearing wouldn’t have been. (Legs out, thighs exposed etc)

What really got Kamala in trouble with her Mom was the lying and sneaking out. As someone mentioned up thread she would’ve been better off going with her brother who would’ve let her change outfits once they arrived and kept it on the DL. The disobedience would’ve had my Mom LIVID.

I know we are all raised in so many different ways, one of my friends loved visiting my house and doing mani/pedis because her Mom wouldn’t let her wear dark nail polish and my Mom didn’t give two hoots about nail polish or makeup, but wouldn’t let me take walks or public transit alone at all (I was allowed to get a license and drive alone at 16).

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
15 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I wasn’t surprised by the mother’s behavior at all. I’m from an ADOS family and my turn of the millennium adolescence (I was born in 1985) had about as many restrictions as Kamala.

So you’re a teenager during the mid/late ‘90s (Your parents may have been in my age range, a little older probably), and perhaps my being from outside of your community is making it difficult for me to reconcile the current day restraints on a Kamala Khan of 2022/23.

Going off the year of her comics introduction in 2013, maybe she’s born in ‘97ish (I’m not clear on her age).

All of that aside, Kamala would have been better off negotiating to have her brother take her to the convention, and been more forthright with her mother about her situations she’d might have been better off…

29 minutes ago, wmdekooning said:

So you’re a teenager during the mid/late ‘90s (Your parents may have been in my age range, a little older probably), and perhaps my being from outside of your community is making it difficult for me to reconcile the current day restraints on a Kamala Khan of 2022/23.

Going off the year of her comics introduction in 2013, maybe she’s born in ‘97ish (I’m not clear on her age).

All of that aside, Kamala would have been better off negotiating to have her brother take her to the convention, and been more forthright with her mother about her situations she’d might have been better off…

I was a teenager in the late 90s/early 2000s. My parents were born in 1945/48- they were older.

My point was that in my experience Muslim Pakistani parents are MORE strict on their kids than ADOS/AA parents are, (this is a stereotype, we are speaking in generalization), so if I couldn’t do something 20yrs ago, it vibes that Kamala wouldn’t be able to do it now. 

I was also responding to you as we are both from ADOS/AA families (you said you were African American rather an “specific country in Africa” American, so I assumed we were referencing similar communities, forgive me if I was wrong) and although I am much younger than you I had fewer freedoms, rather than more freedoms- like you assumed Kamala would have. Which vibes with “all families are different” regarding things like this. 

(Bolding mine) YUP we are in agreement. 

*ADOS= American Descendants of Slavery

*AA= African American 

• Like 1