Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E02: Dancing For Your Life

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

I have wondered why Kelli holds up the photo of each girl.  Why not have a rear projected screen at the open end of the U shape tables that has the photo of the girl in solo costume and then with the short and top. 

Yes I thought those vets that were cut did not do as well, I actually thought maybe Morgan would be one in which they would recommend not trying out again but then I guess she is someone who the girls love.  Veronica and Hannah did look larger than previously.  Loved some of the finals but Vivian's was not well suited for her.

I guess I will watch the show again tomorrow!!

• Love 1

Vivian is so annoying. I did not like her solo. I can't stand how she talks in that whining, sing-song voice. I'm sick of her already and I liked her last year.

Hannah and Veronica looked big. I'm surprised as last year I thought Hannah looked like she was too skinny. I'm glad Morgan is gone. I wasn't a fan of hers last year. At all. I did like Alex and am sad she is gone.

I wish there was a way to see the solos in their entirety, at least those who made it to TC. (BTW, why are they called "training camp candidate"? They are already IN training camp. DCC candidate would be more appropriate, in my mind.)

Already looking forward to next week!!

• Love 3

Vivian is so annoying. She felt certain she was going to win fan favorite gain. Surprise! That did not happen. I thought Melissa R's comment was interesting that Vivian could do sexy and sultry, but could she do cheerleading?

• Love 1

I also liked Vivien last year, but, holy cow,how annoying has she become. I think her every move is planned so that she will get screen time. I never believed that tin man crap was real, just a ploy for attention. Hope she is sent packing quickly.

I guess the mystery of Hannah h as been solved. Thought she was a naturally thin person.

Bulimia must be rampart, like every other girl. Maybe that is why they keep that dentist on call, gotta fix all those bulimia teeth, just kidding(sort of).

• Love 1

I seriously can't wait until the week she she gets sent packing
because she's
so annoying this season...and it's only 2 episodes.

Vivian...enough with trying to force tears when there aren't any. You aren't an actress and you clearly can't fake cry and turn on "tears" when you want to play the sympathy card. Fake crying, especially when you can't do it, is SO unattractive and pathetic.
I feel really bad for Alex and Courtni. No love loss over Morgan...she never should have been on the team last year. As far as being a locker room favorite, I think Kelli meant exactly that... Isn't the DCC locker room open to tours? Fans leave notes, gifts and take pictures with their favorite DCCs locker. Morgans locker must get a lot of attention. (I have my own guesses as to why, but I don't think I'll voice them, lol).

Everal of those rookies are amazing dancers, from what we were allowed to see. Melissa is incredible...as was Erica. I've already forgotten other names.

Edited by bigskygirl
spoiler-not shown in this episode
  • Love 1

I got so mad at Kitty for the way she was digging at Caila's leg and tearing into Erica about having straight hair and telling Christina that her dance moves conveyed "I'm a strip-per, I'm a slut!".

I know she's harsh and that's her 'thing', but she seemed more like a huge bully this time around.

Erica's hair seemed to be a big problem for some of the judges too. Why? It's obvious that her hair is naturally straight and it looked fine.

• Love 3

I think Kelli meant exactly that... Isn't the DCC locker room open to tours? Fans leave notes, gifts and take pictures with their favorite DCCs locker. Morgans locker must get a lot of attention. (I have my own guesses as to why, but I don't think I'll voice them, lol).

No i think she meant that the other girls like her , alot girls are kept on bec of that courtney cook and jordon c for example

• Love 1

Erica's hair seemed to be a big problem for some of the judges too. Why? It's obvious that her hair is naturally straight and it looked fine.

I thought her hair and custom were awful , remember in season 2 (i think) kelli yelled at that girl for wearing her hair in a pony tail and colin when she was cut judy said that she hated her hair and its not working for her and she was wearing it in a pony tail too ! 

Edited by mmm

I go to college with Vivian at UNT and I can guarantee she was always so nice to everyone, popular or nerdy. Everyone loves her! As much as it pains me to say this, I'm completely confused about how she acts on TV. Oddly on the show, she talks very slowly, and in an annoying, ditzy way. It takes her abnormally long to form a sentence. I think she is just trying to be careful wih her words, because in real life she talks normally. Also, she needs to stop trying to cry all the time. I wish she would just be herself.

• Love 2

I thought her hair and custom were awful , remember in season 2 (i think) kelli yelled at that girl for wearing her hair in a pony tail and colin when she was cut judy said that she hated her hair and its not working for her and she was wearing it in a pony tail too !

Well I agree that the weird ponytail she had for her solo was awful but I just got really confused by Kitty pouncing (lol) on her and saying she must not care about making the team if she didn't curl her hair that day even though it looked healthy and shiny...and then the judges were talking about her hair on the field and they showed a picture and it was curled and styled like the other girls but they said they didn't like that either.

• Love 1

Thoughts on the ep i feel like we say this about every season we need more of the solos

i thought the girl who had the bad interview kelsey was beautiful and a great dancer i was bummed they didn't pick her .

I know Sydeny is not popluar on this board but if any one questions her dancing should watch this ep in her solo and the part they showed of her on field i thought she was a super star , she should have been given the number 1 over jen k , she was my fave of the night with a bullet like her tonight more than ever .

Edited by mmm

I already knew Melissa was a great dancer from her freestyle during the first round, but she looked amazing on the big screen. She is a great performer - just the right amount of sassiness and flirtatiousness without being over the top.

ITA that Kitty crossed the line from ballbuster to unnecessarily bitchy. When she asked one girl what her costume was supposed to be and the girl said military, then Kitty said, "Stripperish?" I was like dude, she's wearing a crop top and hot pants - how is that considered stripperish? She was wearing more fabric than the DCC uniform! And both the top and the shorts were plain solid colors so nothing overtly stripperish in my opinion. I wanted to laugh when Kitty told another girl that she was being disrespectful by not having her hair curled. I know they're in Texas so big hair is the law, but calm down there! This girl mistakenly thought you would be critiquing her dancing, not bitching about her hair.

I was not surprised or upset that Morgan was cut. I honestly didn't think she was going to make the team last season because she wasn't up to par. As competitive as the new girls were this year, I'm actually surprised that they only cut three vets.

I was more surprised that they took Ashley after they mentioned her kicks again. I don't understand why Vivian completely ignored Kitty's advice about her solo. Remember when she told you not to do that robot solo last year and she was right? Kitty might be a bitch but she also knows what Kelly and Judy are looking for. She was also right that VIvian would be outdone in the lyrical style because it's not her strong suit and there are other girls who are much better at it. When Vivian said she was going to rework it, I thought she would change her music to something more uptempo, keep most of the dance choreography, and change the angsty rolling around on the floor sections. But nope, she just did the exact same routine to the same music. She did not look comfortable in the short clips we saw. When she did it at the studio, her axel was pretty crappy but I thought maybe she slipped or tripped right before so I gave her the benefit of the doubt.

I wish we could have seen more of the solos because that's one of my favorite parts of the entire season. Kitty was right about Shannon's hair and costume. That weird flowered dress looked like a rejected prom dress in a thrift store. It would have looked better if she had just worn a bra top and booty shorts or a plain (solid colored) dance dress.

• Love 4

In reply to GBPackersfan, they are called training camp candidates as they are simply a candidate for the time at this time.  Once the team is announced they will be rookies such as last time when Kelli tried to announce the team she said "I see before me ____ number of veterans and ___ number of rookies working together."  The girls were too stunned to react to what she said so she tried it again!

Breelan seems like Chelsea 2.0.

Why does Breelan seem like Chelsea? Did she even say anything this episode?

I didn't get the whole thing withe Erica's hair especially when the two dudes said they didn't like her hair in the jumbotron.  That was ridiculous. The ponytail was whatever but if that seriously made people vote against her, I think they are insane.  She is gorgeous and an amazing dancer - they could just tell her to do her differently! I'm glad Melissa said something.

I actually like Melissa on the show. I think she is fun and nice. I like when she said she was still kind of scared of Kelli and Judy hah!

And I agree that I have no idea why that one girl's outfit was stripperish in the sea of other wee sized costumes. It looked like what everyone wears in the early stages of the tryouts - which is kind of strippery but it is what everyone wears!

Edited by iloveit
  • Love 2

Also, I can see why Jennifer (the 2 year one) is already 2nd leader. She's
well spoken and a great performer

As annoying as Vivian is, I can't help but notice that they keep calling her name last. CMT probably makes them do it for dramatical purposes though.
So far I love Melissa, the girl who kicks her nose, the girl who had the straight hair and ponytail, Ashley, and Alex.
Lastly, it's very telling that they saved Hannah and Veronica for being "chubby", but let Alex go. I think those two are well liked and were given an extra chance to get it together. I'm glad Morgan is gone because she never looked like a DCC to me. Kitty must have called in lots of favors for her to make it last year. Courtni is cute, but I guess that's it. She didn't stand out.

Edited by bigskygirl
Spoiler-not shown in episode
  • Love 1

I think anyone without 5 pounds of extensions in their hair, the judges don't like.  Erica's hair in the ponytail looked really thin and apparently thin hair is a deal breaker, despite a gorgeous face and great dancing.  And the girl who Kitty said looked like a "wet dog" had pretty thin hair too.  I love the part where they were discussing a girl who was a mediocre dancer, didn't have a great interview, but the judge said, "but she's hot….."  At least he was honest! 

I noticed the girl with the crazy eyes from last season who went from blonde to brown in a makeover didn't get ANY camera time, or make training camp again.  She got so much airtime last year, I wonder why they didn't spotlight her again.  There was just a quick shot of her in a chair waiting for results.  

What I don't understand is why they picked Vivian, again. She does look slimmer than she did last year but her short thighs haven't stretched in a year. Have they?

Her legs are still short.

Eh, I think Kitty is Kitty. She is going to be a bitch to a lot of them. If they can stand her criticism without breaking down, then Kelli and Judy should be a piece of cake. I honestly believe that she is trying to help them be successful.

The girls need to toughen up some for what is coming.

• Love 2

I would not be surprise when they cut Hannah at a later date to make an example out of her and for the drama factor.

Poor Alex. I can see why Morgan was cut for showing up late and a bad solo.

Miss Kitty calling out the one girl for tanning. Obviously, she has not seen the girls on game day with their over tanning, sticky, stringy hair, and too much makeup. Vivian and Melissa R. can leave my computer screen at anytime. I would rather see a girl with her straight hair in a pony tail instead of the usual same hair style the majority of the girls have. Speaking of Vivian, she had her I am the fans' favorite ego balloon deflated when Loren? won. I would not be surprise if she thought she could get away with a bad solo because the fan base would have voted into to TC. She does not seem to realize getting voted in does not mean a spot on the team.

I think anyone without 5 pounds of extensions in their hair, the judges don't like.  Erica's hair in the ponytail looked really thin and apparently thin hair is a deal breaker, despite a gorgeous face and great dancing.  And the girl who Kitty said looked like a "wet dog" had pretty thin hair too.  I love the part where they were discussing a girl who was a mediocre dancer, didn't have a great interview, but the judge said, "but she's hot….."  At least he was honest! 

I noticed the girl with the crazy eyes from last season who went from blonde to brown in a makeover didn't get ANY camera time, or make training camp again.  She got so much airtime last year, I wonder why they didn't spotlight her again.  There was just a quick shot of her in a chair waiting for results.  

I guess they blocked out how stringy and thin Cassie's hair looked her first year or two.

• Love 1

I agree with all! What is up with the obsession with hair?  Kitty was out of line.  Vivian is so pretty, really lovely BUT I am not loving how much camera time she is given. I  just don't like her this year.  :0[ It's sad that Shannon (Philadelphia) didn't make it. She would be a great DCC, she just needed a makeover. Maybe she will try out next year.  

I hate that Alex was cut.  I just love her but all the girls know that you have to super toned to look good on the big screen.  Some of the girls in the past, like Brooke Sorenson, possibly wouldn't have made the team today, sad that it is.

Was it me or was the audio off in the interviews?  I couldn't hear what Ashley M was saying in her interview.  I also couldn't hear Danielle's question.  I'm obsessed with this show so I want to hear it all!

I like Vivian too. I think it takes a lot of guts to try out and try out again after being cut. I think she is a great dance and fun to watch. I think something is up with the personality not matching DCC standards

I agree that it is Vivian's personality that is holding her back. I don't think she has a bad personality--I just think she doesn't have a "DCC" personality.

I liked when Melissa R. said that changing that girl'a hair was an easy fix. She understands that hair is a lot simpler to fix (and a lot faster) than girls who don't have good dance skills, can't kick high, or need to lose weight/tone up/have other body issues that Kelly and Judy will harp on before ultimately cutting them. If your only complaint about a TCC is hair, you should take her. It takes one afternoon to change a girl's hair. It takes a lot longer to get a girl to become more flexible, become more coordinated, or lose weight.

Emily is a great dancer and performer with a pretty face, sparkle on the field, a toned body, and technical dance skills. You can't say that for all the other TCCs or even past DCCs. I know hair is a big deal in Texas but to me it's such a minor thing to fix that I'm surprised that both Kitty and the judges brought it up. Her hair is actually a nice color and a good thickness (it didn't look stringy and super thin) so she just needs some extensions and a curling iron to get the DCC look. I don't know why they were acting like this was an insurmountable obstacle.

• Love 2

And one more thing: is it me or does Morgan look 40, not 27.  I never got why Kelli and Judy liked her look.  I am sorry to say but I was never a fan and am glad she is gone.  Sorry to all the Morgan lovers out there!

• Love 2

She reminded me of Sydney because of the monotone skin/hair color. They both need to lay of the spray tan and change their hair color a few tones to look like normal people to me. I really think Morgan was chosen last year because they liked her single mom story and thought it would be good on the show. It's Morgan's own fault for being late (more than once!) since we all know that's a huge sin for DCC. She said she left an hour before her check in time (4:30) and Kelly said she arrived at 5:11. Was traffic so bad that she was on the road for an hour and forty minutes? Or was she just making excuses? I don't live in Dallas so I honestly don't know what the traffic there is like. I get if they shut the freeway down due to a suicide, for example, that you can't control that. But since all 85 of the TCC managed to avoid this horrendous traffic and arrive on time, I find her story suspect.

• Love 1

I really thought Hannah would be a point girl, so I'm sad that she had some weight gain, and they really didn't like that. Who knows if it was bad habits, medication, metabolism changing, or whatever, but she still didn't have flab or rolls. I think she could've toned it, unless she really didn't want to put her body through such strenuous dieting.

I really liked the girl Kitty said was overtanned. I also liked Breelin, and didn't see any brattiness from her. Ashley that was cut last year and came back (and still has bad kicks), appears a bit snooty and bitchy to me, but she is very pretty.

Poor Morgan, I never liked her or thought she could dance, but dang, when girlfriend isn't smiling, she looks downright haggard. Older, rougher and not pretty. 

I liked the girl from Pittsburgh who said she was a diehard Steelers fan, but I agree with the judge who said she didn't quite have the DCC look, and probably couldn't achieve it. It's too bad the Steelers don't have cheerleaders, or she'd be a good candidate.

I do wish Melissa Rycroft would do something with her hair while she's on the show. She looks sloppy as well.

One girl in the interviews who had a shorter blond bob looked like she had so much Botox she couldn't move her face. It was distracting.

Vivian's training camp time is reminiscent of Megan Flaherty, in the sense that Kelli started out rooting for her, but just can't quite pull the trigger to let her in, Judi hates her (I think she hated both of them because they weren't tall, skinny blonds and had more personality past 'yes, ma'am' and 'no ma'am'), and Kitty knows neither one of them can dance as well as a DCC needs to.

I'm no Vivian fan, and was meh about Megan, but both of them have stand alone personalities, meaning they have the potential to be known as Vivian or Megan, and not just Vivian the DCC or Megan the DCC. They also have a little bit of a stubborn streak or strong personality to have their own non-robotic opinions, and nothing is less appealing to Kelli and Judy than a non-stepford DCC. Same reason Melissa Rycroft had problems while on the team.

The only other 'stand out' personality they tolerated, IMO, was Abigail Klein. She had zero personality, was a middle of the road dancer, IMO, and got as thick through the middle as Hannah is now during her 2nd season, but she was just so pretty, that Kelli thought she walked on water. 

A lot of these girls love to part their hair in the middle and Morgan especially, needed a softening up.  When Premier Atelier kept her part in the middle, I just thought, UGH!

I do like Melissa Rycroft better than I thought I would.  It's going to be interesting to see her help the TCC's that are struggling.  It was smart of K&J to think of doing something like an emotional support trainer.  AND can I bring up Kelli's comment that  the judges have to like the way the veterans look now because they are not going to change in training camp?  I thought, 'why the hell not?'  You pay Jay, that is what he is there for...have him help the girls that have lost their way!

So, Kitty the overweight old hag with bad hair actually calls the girls out for being overweight with bad hair? Really!? Please.dont.even,go.there.biotch! Seriously, is it really worth it to go through thus for so little? Also, I wanted the girl from Pittsburg who was always sweating with the long thin hair to make it. I wanted to see what her makeover would have been. Keep it long to cut it? Go, red, burnett, ash brown or just blonde? So many questions & we won't get the answers. So sad. LOL!!

• Love 1

Longtime lurker, first time poster! Excited to watch this season of the show!

I was interested to see what Vivians solo would look like- she clearly followed instructions to "tone up" (not that there was anything wrong with her before) and came in with the look they wanted. However, I think the challenge she has was probably summarized between Melissas comment about whether Vivian could "get the cheerleader thing down" and Judys comment on her solo that she really should have stuck with hip-hop which is her strength. If you look for AAIA videos online they are clearly a more hip-hop based team, and she looks great dancing with them, and the DCC have (esp recently) begun to focus on very technically trained dancers as their star girls, with that chippy confident personality mixed in as well. Hip hop is a more sultry and funky style and I think she shines with that. Rhythm and Blues dancers are another good pro-sports team at this style.

Her lyrical piece- when lyrical is best suited for people with loads of ballet and jazz training- kinda highlighted her weakness at more technical styles. Outside of the uniform issues their comment last year was she should take more classes and broaden her skillset. It was risky to do that at finals, but looks like she made it though to training camp despite it.

I feel like they are looking for girls who could be showgroup stars and help promote that side of the marketing when they are auditioning for this team, not just pretty girls with some coordination ("They are an ELITE TEAM!!!" as we all know ;) ). I can see why they were jumping like crazy over Melissa.

(BTW, why are they called "training camp candidate"? They are already IN training camp. DCC candidate would be more appropriate, in my mind.)

My understanding is that the last two eps (or the first 2, if you prefer) are the auditions for DCC training camp, not for the team, at least not yet. Something like 500 applicants were cut down to the roughly 10% or so of the remaining women who will go through training. Kelli and Judy chose however many finalists they chose--45? 50? something like that--who will be eliminated down to the performing team over the course of the show. Training camp itself starts with next weeks ep.

I like how Melissa R gives a little behind the scenes commentary of things we the viewers would not know, like how much time is spent speaking about the vets in deliberations.

Am I wrong or was there no "beauty/hair" guy in the deliberations? Jonny wasn't there (that I saw). And the discussion about hair, no one but Melissa chimed in.

• Love 1

Why did they keep showing Loren (winner of the fan vote)  keep talking about it? Seems like a dead giveaway to me. Sounds to me like they didn't want her. Will Kelli tell her that she only got in because of the vote?

Every year they always show the vets that get cut (Courtni, Alex, Morgan) saying how they don't want to get cut. Another dead giveaway.

Why do the girls that don't make it to TC always say the same stuff like "God has other plans for me", "everything happens for a reason", etc. ( so cliche). Just once I want to see a girl say  "I'm pissed I didn't get picked".

TCC Christina resembles Paige, a  5 yr DMD vet.

Edited by MrsEVH
  • Love 1

Shannon from Pittsburgh had meth face. You can't fix that.

Breelan needs to seriously lay off the makeup, dear god. Charlotte and Kelli are all about some heavy blush, though, so I'm sure it didn't phase them.

I'm with the poster above re: Kitty. Her hair is ATROCIOUS. Even though she's chunky, she could wear something more flattering than polo shirts. There's a reason *I* don't wear them, FFS.

I hate so much about this show, but I watch it like I'm an addict shoving smack in my busted veins.

I looked on the CMT app for bonus solo videos, and no dice. I, too, wanted to see them.

• Love 1