Type keyword(s) to search

Gilmore Girls DVDs and Other Merchandise

mstaken
  • Start Topic

Are you proudly sporting a Dragonfly Inn T-shirt as you read this post? Do you sip your morning coffee from a giant 'Luke's Diner' cup? Have you read all of the nonfiction books about GG? Do you have thoughts on the DVDs: extras you wish they would have included, your pick for the best box color, etc.?! If so, you've come to the right place! 

I used to have a pink Dragonfly Inn T-shirt, but I wore it to the point where it kind of fell apart. It's now riddled with holes. #SadButTrue 

For those who either don't have all the DVDs yet or are looking for a backup copy to loan to friends (or, if you're like me, to use when your original DVDs inevitably wear out from excessive use), the complete series is available from Amazon today for under $70. I know that doesn't sound like all that great a bargain, but it's actually a lot cheaper than buying each set individually. The problem is that I'm really not crazy about that case it seems to come in...oh, and also that I'm broke :) 

Be careful of those bargain sets on Amazon.  I got two later seasons that came in flimsy plastic clips (not the kind of DVD indented holders I have in earlier seasons and all other DVDs I've ever owned), and the clips had broken in transit (or before then), so the DVDs were rattling around with sharp broken plastic, and got scratched.  Also, there was no index to the DVDs or booklet, so I had to guess which episodes are on which DVDs, when I tried to play them, but they skipped so much that I gave up on them. 

The vendor took no responsibility, and it was all crap to begin with.  So, buyer beware! 

P.S. -- I had bought seasons 1-4 as separate seasons from Amazon, and they were beautifully packaged, with booklets and episode guides.  So, it is up to us to identify the right kind of packaging! 

Edited by jjj
  • Love 1

I bought all mine individually back when the show was airing and why they changed the boxes in Seasons 6 and 7 to the tri-fold is beyond me. You have to remove the DVD on top to get to the one below it. The boxes themselves remained pretty with the different colors but Seasons 1-5 were so much easier to use. One DVD per 'page.' And I love the episode guides. Don't know how many times I have looked at those.

• Love 1

Just so you guys know, the complete series is on sale today for a comparatively cheap $64.99 from Amazon, aka my crack dealer:

http://www.amazon.com/Gilmore-Girls-Complete-Collection-Various/dp/B00B5AAW52/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420209010&sr=8-1&keywords=gilmore+girls+complete+series

I'm guessing many people checking this out already own the DVDs, and I have a bizarre preference for the individual DVD sets with their pretty colors over the complete series box :) I figured it couldn't hurt to pass this along, though! 

There are extras but not tons. The earlier seasons have better extras. Season one's was good. Season five has behind the scenes of the 100th episode (Wedding Bell Blues)and commentary on You Jump, I Jump, Jack IMO, season 6 and 7's were lame.

Most if not all of the special features can be found on YouTube. I wouldn't buy the DVDs at this point, especially because the show is now available in much higher quality (in widescreen high-definition) on other services such as iTunes, Amazon Prime and Netflix. 

@lulu1960 's daughter gave her one of the best Gilmore Gilrs-themed things I've ever seen. It's a teddy bear dressed as Luke, complete with flannel and backwards baseball cap. And now I want one. :)  

I drink out of this coffee mug:

https://www.lookhuman.com/design/81198-i-can-t-stop-drinking-the-coffee?gclid=CjwKEAiAlNbEBRCv9uy4j4SWrgwSJAB5MqJFHdmnJIgaXOds7B9bS7sG1cQnNIo-hs5vd_YbX_rCahoCDY_w_wcB

The bad news is that the mug isn't nearly as big as the ones at Luke's, so I can't drink as much coffee at once as Lorelai and Rory do. 

27 minutes ago, whateverhappened said:

@lulu1960 's daughter gave her one of the best Gilmore Gilrs-themed things I've ever seen. It's a teddy bear dressed as Luke, complete with flannel and backwards baseball cap. And now I want one. :)  

I drink out of this coffee mug:

https://www.lookhuman.com/design/81198-i-can-t-stop-drinking-the-coffee?gclid=CjwKEAiAlNbEBRCv9uy4j4SWrgwSJAB5MqJFHdmnJIgaXOds7B9bS7sG1cQnNIo-hs5vd_YbX_rCahoCDY_w_wcB

The bad news is that the mug isn't nearly as big as the ones at Luke's, so I can't drink as much coffee at once as Lorelai and Rory do. 

I have a few GG-themed things. Not to mention numerous GG-inspired t-shirts. I'm actually wearing a Dragonfly tee right now. LOL

On 22/11/2015 at 4:45 AM, stopthestatic said:

Most if not all of the special features can be found on YouTube. I wouldn't buy the DVDs at this point, especially because the show is now available in much higher quality (in widescreen high-definition) on other services such as iTunes, Amazon Prime and Netflix. 

Seconding this. To me the DVDs probably aren't worth buying at this point, they have a few cute featurettes with the actors talking, but GG generally wasn't the best when it came to DVD extras, and the picture quality is definitely a lot better when you purchase them from iTunes 

Edited by Frelling Tralk
5 hours ago, HeySandyStrange said:

I don't have much for GG merchandise, but I wanted to share this seller on esty: https://www.etsy.com/shop/WindowShopGal?ref=l2-shopheader-name

I bought the Red outlined Stars Hollow vintage poster and it is gorgeous. It also came with a letter from Taylor about SHs history. Very cute, well worth 17 bucks.

I have the blue one.

I'm looking and I see a Dragonfly Inn one that is calling my name.

Edited by lulu1960
  • Love 2

I am currently drinking out of my mug that has Michel's quote on it. "People are particularly stupid today. I can't talk to any more of them."  It's definitely a Monday type of mug.