Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E12: Time After Time After Time

• Start Topic

A hunt goes wrong and Dean is transported back in time to 1944, where he teams up with the famous Eliot Ness. Sam and Sheriff Mills hurry to find a way to return Dean back to the present.

Part 3 (with S3's In the Beginning and S6's Frontierland) of the Back to the Future homage.  Evidence that Sam and Dean can work a case separately and the episode can still be excellent.  ;-)

As an interesting aside, imdb, the SPN wiki, and various other websites referred to this as Time After Time; my cable provider used the above title, as did my DVDs.  *shrug*

• Love 1

Part 3 (with S3's In the Beginning and S6's Frontierland) of the Back to the Future homage.  Evidence that Sam and Dean can work a case separately and the episode can still be excellent.  ;-)

Amen sister!

Interesting about the episode title, I guess I just never paid attention before.

I love this episode more for the musical score than anything. I mean the story was a good one and I loved it, but I love a good musical interlude too!  I thought it was a stroke of genius for them to have both composers collaborate and do this one episode together. It really makes the episode stand out for me.

I also love that in a previous life Bobby was a woman!

Okay it's been a while since I watched it and I seem to be a meandering head case this morning, so I'll come back when I've worked the kinks out of my brain.

• Love 2

Top 10 episodes for me.  Make a spinoff with Eliot Ness hunting please and thank you.  <3 Nicholas Lea <3

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this episode.  So much goodness.  Dean and Sam able to work together over time! Sam and Dean getting how each other would think.  I ship Jodie and Sam here, big time. I shipped Dean and Eliot big time.  And even if I hated everything else....we get this and I will forever thank the TPTB for it

5c1a8505c101164319f69362e1fa4e4b.jpg

Edited by catrox14

I love this episode, too. And I totally agree on the Sam and Jody shipping - that should be a thing. I also loved how Sam and Dean worked together even though they were 50+ years apart in time, and both were able to figure out how the other would think. Dean's putting the note where he knew Sam would see it was genius. Looking back at this episode really makes me annoyed at the season 8 Sam not looking for Dean nonsense (in my opinion anyway). Sam had much less to go on here, had no idea what happened to Dean, and still did everything he could to try to find out. ::shakes head disgustedly::

I enjoyed the whole Dean/Elliot Ness dynamic and the fact that they bonded a bit over being hunters. I only wish that they could've left in that final cut scene, because the ending was rather abrupt the way it was, and for me that final scene was touching. I'm sure this time, Sam remembered the pie even though I'm sure he knew Dean wouldn't take his advice... or maybe because he knew Dean wouldn't take his advice.

I also love that in a previous life Bobby was a woman!

I enjoyed that character quite a bit. She was fun, and not the typical 20-something year old and beautiful one-off character they have.

Another strong episode from this season for me.

Edited by AwesomO4000
  • Love 1

For all the criticism this show gets about it's treatment of women (which I largely disagree with but that a whole other discussion) I think they really handle older women (women over 35 which yes on TV is considered older. Jody is probably 40ish I'm thinking. She is awesome.  And I don't think the show is averse to women over 30 being love interests for the boys either.  I mean they are in their 30s now so why not?  I would be incredibly disappointed if they have either Sam or Dean end up married to women 10 or 15 years younger than them. I'm not bashing age different relationships.  I have partaken myself! It would just be nice to have them do something different not expected with their relationships.  The only time they irked me with older women was in Red Sky at Morning. But look at Ezra here. She is fantastic. She's a handsome, smart woman. She's sassy and fun and a woman of her era.  Perfect casting IMO. 

This was just such a great dialog episode!

SAM: I can't believe I'm about to say this but I hope you're watching cartoon smut, 'cause reading Dick Roman crap over and over again is just self-punishment.
DEAN:  It's called anime, and it's an art form.

SAM: Well, there’s a... semi-functioning bathroom and one un-rancid bedroom.
DEAN: Define semi-functioning, and do not use the words "hole in the floor."

SAM: What, are you gonna look up more anime, or are you strictly into Dick now?

POLICEMAN: This badge was issued 68 years from now. Ace work, kraut-muncher.
DEAN: '44? I'm stuck in 1944?!
POLICEMAN: We're all stuck in 1944, ya bunny.

ELIOT NESS: He's, uh, from the future.
DEAN: Yeah. Gas costs four bucks. You can get cheese out of a spray can. And... the President, he's a black guy. I could go on.
EZRA: Paint me impressed. I assume you need some clothes. Come on.

JODY MILLS: Yeah. I think Bobby may have had a slight hoarding issue. I could barely get the door open on that storage locker. And, um, I'm pretty sure something's alive in at least three of those boxes.

And so on. 

Plus: Nicolas Lea? Oh yeah.

• Love 1

This is such a great episode, I was totally caught up in it again. They got the tone, atmosphere and pacing perfectly proportioned in this episode with a great guest cast to boot! Which reminds me, I never noticed that was Logan Echols masquerading as a God before.

I just love Elliot Ness calling Dean a "Nancy." Lots and lots of goodness in this episode.

• Love 1

I have just started watching Supernatural, and am bingeing it on Netflix.  My first post on any of the episode threads is this - Dean in the 40's suit.  DAMN!

That is all.

Edited by TexasGal
  • Love 4

I guess I will have the unpopular opinion that this was a good but not great episode.  I kept waiting for it to really pop and it never did.  I couldn't tell the difference between Dean's FBI suit and his 40s suit.  I did love how Elliott wondered if all hunters were as "soft" as Dean in the future.  I saw that as simultaneously true and not.  After all he's been through he is anything but soft.  Yet he is soft inside.  Impressed by Jason D.  This is the first role I have seen him in where he is not affecting a speech impediment.  He had the best character on Moonlight, so if you check that out, he is too funny.

GREAT episode. Totally forgot about this ep, so I was happy coming across it tonight in my re watch!

Jason Dohring (logan!!) and Nic Lea (Krycek!)?? So cool and much love for this guest casting. Smart Dean and Sam and seeing Jody was awesome. Yet another circumstance where we get to see Dean (almost) seamlessly acclimate to whatever environment he gets tossed into.

All around good.

• Love 2

GREAT episode. Totally forgot about this ep, so I was happy coming across it tonight in my re watch!

Do you have the DVDs or are you rewatching on Netflix or something? (I don't have any of those kinds of things so don't know which is the way shows are watched now.) I ask, because if you have the DVDs, I recommend the cut scene from the end of the episode (which as shown ended somewhat abruptly in my opinion.) I loved the episode even more with that added scene.

• Love 2

I'm re watching on Netflix, though I do have the DVDs. Just not sure if I have seasons 7-9 on DVD :/. I'll have to check!

I'll bet I can find the cut scene online, though! Thanks

Edited to add:

Ha just remembered I stopped buying the DVDs after season 6. And in my DVD search remembered I have Season 5 signed by Jared and Jensen! How does one forget that? Lol

Edited (again)

Found it online! Totally better with that ending! LOVE

Original ending was too abrupt. Thanks for the heads up :)

Edited by GirlyGeek
  • Love 2

That deleted scene really helps, IMO. They must of been really over in time to have cut it.

In other news: There's also a featurette on the DVDs about scoring this episode called Washboards and Tommy Guns. Both composers collaborated and they recorded all the music with an in an old studio to get the sound they wanted. I found it fascinating, but then again I do love to know how things work and I do love a good music interlude, too. I tried to find it on YouTube, but can't locate it. If you can get you hands on the last disc, I highly recommend it.

• Love 1

After having watched it a couple of more times, I take back my previous opinion that it was good but not great.  I love it. I have been debating which ep to show my friend to suck her into the fandom, and she is an XPhile.  This may be the one, though I have already explained to her that most of them aren't about time travel.  I have a question for all of you.  Much has been made of Dean looking that soldier up and down on the sidewalk.  The scene is used as evidence that Dean is potentially bisexual, but I have never heard an in-show explanation for the look.  I was going to listen to the commentary to see if they addressed it, but there is no commentary for the ep.  In the middle of all this season-ending angst, I need something to smile about!  So what does Jensen or the writer or director say about that portion of the scene?

I like your choice of this one, Goldmoon, though if she is an X-Files fan - and you like the episode, since I know not everyone does - you may also want to consider "Clap Your Hands..." Your friend might enjoy the X-Files homage in the beginning. Though you might have to explain that Sam isn't quite himself in the episode.

"Nightshifter" is also a good choice, catrox14.

Nightshifter is the one episode that I think they could make into a stand alone film. I mean it essentially was. Time after Time is fun but I feel like it needs the history of Dean and Sam to appreciate them working together here?  Nightshifter is so self contained that if that was the only episode of SPN that existed, I'd be happy.  Well that and THE END.  LOL

Does anyone have insight into what Dean meant by checking out that soldier?  I have an opinion on what I think it should be but I half-expect some TPTB to say he was admiring the uniform.

There is debate. I don't think Dean was checking him out like to hook up. I always thought that was just Dean being taken aback by his surroundings and noticing the uniform and being awkward about it. JMO

(edited)

I've never read anything coming from TPTB about that scene particularly, most of what I've read and seen "officially" about this episode has more to do with getting the time period and music right than anything. I know Jensen has stated many times that he doesn't play Dean as anything but straight, but if others want to see something else, that's their prerogative.

I do remember Sera Gamble doing an interview about this episode where she said Dean seems to be a bit of a clothes whore. Could be he was checking out the man, the uniform or just taking in the fact he wasn't in his own time--or quite possibly it didn't mean anything at all and was something Jensen did in that take and they used it simply because the whole take played better than any of the others. To tell you the truth I've never really paid it much mind, so I probably should just shut up about it.

I agree Nightshifter is a good gateway episode, but since I'm a purist I would start with the Pilot--although almost anything from S2 would've probably gotten me to watch more--I hate jumping into the middle of a show and then backtracking, but I'm weird that way (and possibly in other ways too). However, I think the first season has the most X-Files feel to it, out of all the seasons, and if you're trying to hook your friend through the X-files angle that could be a good place to start.

BTW, I love that you're trying to corrupt your friends with our little show!

Edited by DittyDotDot
I do remember Sera Gamble doing an interview about this episode where she said Dean seems to be a bit of a clothes whore.

He was a bit of a clothes whore in "Frontierland" as well. As he's gotten older, I think Dean just likes an excuse to "dress up" which he did in the LARPing episode with Charlie, too. So I can totally see Dean checking out the uniform, likely thinking "Damn, I bet I'd look good in that."

• Love 1

Loved the guest casting with this episode and the story was great too.  Dean's going all fanboy on Elliot Ness, of course he'd be a hunter, was hilarious.

and great that we're finally shown how well the brothers did know each other with Dean figuring out how to get a message to Sam.

definitely adds to the whole times-wimey thing with the two endings (one where dean dies).  What was the cut end scene, since I don't think it was on Netflix?

• Love 3
(edited)

Ah, Dean Winchester, my favorite tall, green-eyed time traveler because he doesn't screw up the timeline, unlike some CW characters. The red flash ean disappears in is cool. I'm always up for more Sheriff Mills on my screen. I like that they don't even bother to show the  rock, paper, scissors game. Hey, they used the "Smith and Smith" aliases in season 10 too. Ah, Dick jokes. Poor Sam. He doesn't know what to do if Dean can outhack him. Dean doing the subtraction to figure out 68 years. There's some fanfic I read years ago where Azazel commented that something was "like watching a Winchester do math" and that scene reminded me of that. Nick Lea! Use of historical people! "Gas costs four bucks, you can get cheese in a spray can, the president's a black guy. I can go on." He's such a happy time traveler. Okay, why did we never see Dean in that suit again. Damn, he looked good. Hey, the date is November 5, like in Back to the Future. I like that Eliot Ness doesn't have a tragic backstory. He just wants to do good. "Sweet, merciful awesome!" That's going on the list. "Head over to Europe, punch Hitler in the neck." Hee! Logan! Sam doesn't know what a mom voice sounds like, Jody. Jason Dohring really sells his feelings for Lila. Shouldn't you have a p.m or something on that spell, Sam? Well, it worked. I really liked seeing Jody and Sam work together. It's interesting that she's worked with him a lot more than Dean so far, since I always feel like she's one of the people who doesn't seem to like one brother more than the other in the future.  And I'm just now realizing the boys haven't really seen her her last three appearances, she's just been working with Bobby.  

On 6/29/2017 at 10:56 PM, catrox14 said:

Those aren't sideburns! Those are mutton chops!

Sam should time travel more just to find a place where those chops are appropriate. 

Edited by bettername2come
  • Love 1

I seem to remember liking this one more the first time I watched.  It was still pretty good - just not a standout for me.  Although, I think the resolution to Dean being trapped in the past - with the note left in the floorboard, was fantastic!  From Dean showing up at the house and laying down on the floor to Sam seeing his name carved in the wood and showing the note to Jody: I think that's my favorite part.  I also think the show did a really good job with the 40's parts: the wardrobe, sets, music - just setting the stage and atmosphere.  

• Sam's hair sure is purty when he runs.
  • I like it when they squat in abandoned houses - it's a little more...'adventurous' than even the crazy motel rooms.  I especially like seeing the green cooler!
  • Convenient that there were police right at the end of the alley right as Dean ran out, but okay.  Haha - the policeman calling Dean a bunny; given his history with them.  :)  I like Dean doing the year math and not getting the 'kraut-muncher' slur either.  
  • I like Sam and Jody working together.  I miss Jody's longer hair.  It looks good on her.
  • Dean looked snazzy in his new duds.  
  • I wonder why Bobby gets all kinds of crap for his 'boo-hoo' speech to Dean, but Elliot Ness says "boo-hoo, cry me a river ya Nancy" and no one ever brings that up.  That's mostly rhetorical.  I really don't want an answer, especially if it's going to go all bitch/jerk again.  
  • Department of Homeland Termite Invasion.  Lol.
  • I loved seeing the old house in all it's former glory in the past.  Makes me sad for it in the 'present'.  But then I like old stuff like that.  
  • Have I mentioned how much I like Sam and Jody working together?  Sam's face when he shows Jody the note is precious.  And it's funny to me that, when Jody flashes her badge - it's actually real!  I like Lila's gasp when she turns around to see Sam behind (in front of) her.  
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, RulerofallIsurvey said:

Sam's hair sure is purty when he runs.

Lol!!

I seem to remember liking this one more the first time I watched.  It was still pretty good - just not a standout for me. 

I mostly remember being giddy the entire time because Krycek was in the episode :)

I wonder why Bobby gets all kinds of crap for his 'boo-hoo' speech to Dean, but Elliot Ness says "boo-hoo, cry me a river ya Nancy" and no one ever brings that up.  That's mostly rhetorical.  I really don't want an answer, especially if it's going to go all bitch/jerk again.

I'm answering! My guess is because Bobby was family ( figuratively) while Ness was just a guy that didn't know Dean. Also I assume during Ness's time period men who expressed those kind of emotions were seen as softer than the usual hard boiled type guys that were more commonplace those days. My assumption is only based off of all of the old movies that I've watched; the strongest emotion that was usually displayed was anger :(

Edited by DeeDee79
  • Love 2
On 10/17/2017 at 5:00 PM, DeeDee79 said:

I mostly remember being giddy the entire time because Krycek was in the episode :)

SAME!

On 10/17/2017 at 5:00 PM, DeeDee79 said:

Lol!!

I'm answering! My guess is because Bobby was family ( figuratively) while Ness was just a guy that didn't know Dean. Also I assume during Ness's time period men who expressed those kind of emotions were seen as softer than the usual hard boiled type guys that were more commonplace those days. My assumption is only based off of all of the old movies that I've watched; the strongest emotion that was usually displayed was anger :(

Ness was a one shot, guest character so his old school archaic insult to Dean doesn't particularly matter in the long run. It mattered to Dean's arc of S7 in so far as another character telling Dean to 'man up' when he was pretty low.

Eliot Ness, is not Bobby, is not someone Dean actually loves so the impact is far less substantial. IMO they're not equivalent at all.

• Love 3

I did say it was rhetorical and really didn't want an answer.  :)  Dean greatly respected Eliot Ness, so as far as the Boo-hoo Nancy (which was a real insult back in the 40's according to my research),  I don't really think it matters whether the comment came from Bobby or Ness, especially since Bobby was also pretty old school in his ideas of what constituted manhood.  Personally, I can't imagine getting a put down like that from someone I really admired, 'related' or not (since, technically, Bobby wasn't related either) and not feeling at least a little insulted.  But sure, not equivalent at all.  

• Love 2

Logan/Chase Graves! Given that I watched Veronica Mars, the and the last two seasons of izombie before this, I feel like he is sponsoring my maternity leave. Lol. 

I don't have much to add. I really enjoyed this one. It stands out in a season where the one offs are fairly mediocre. There were some eye rolling wink at the audience jokes (which is my least favorite thing about time travel episodes) but it wasn't as exhausting because the side characters got clued in fairly quickly. Plus I loved the Sheriff and giving her grief some screentime.

I'm purchasing one season at a time and watching them in sequential order.  Just watched this last night.

Dean and "Eliot Ness" in 1940s suits.  Hubba hubba.  I never thought Nicholas Lea was attractive in X Files but in this episode?  Yum. I even thought Kronos was hot.  

Ahem.

And I'm on board with loving Ezra ("female Bobby") and Sheriff Jody.  On par with Ellen IMO.

I do wish they'd kept that deleted scene.  Ending was abrupt. 

• Like 1

One of my favorites. I thought that the transitions of Sam/Jody and Dean/Eliot scenes were very, very well done. Yes, the ending was abrupt, but many of Supernatural's episodes end in an abrupt and strange way.

Like you, I thought that all the characters were excellent in their interactions with our boys. Unlike you, I always thought that Nicholas Lea was hot in the X-Files - a character you loved to hate - in fact, I always hoped they'd give him more screen time. He did get a fitting end, though!

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, FlickChick said:

Unlike you, I always thought that Nicholas Lea was hot in the X-Files - a character you loved to hate - in fact, I always hoped they'd give him more screen time. He did get a fitting end, though!

I loved Krycek! I read that the reason why he was killed off was because Nicholas Lea didn't like the way that they were making Krycek over the top evil just for the sake of it and wanted to leave the show.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1