Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Sunday Funday

How did this show become so shmoopy so fast?

Casting? The chemistry between Jimmy and Gretchen is really great. Also, they were pretty drunk by the end of Sunday Funday.

I was quite entertained by Thomas Middleditch's hipster. He plays that kind of needy try-hard very well; I also liked him doing that kind of thing, sort of, in "The Morning After" webseries.

Lindsey's plot got surprisingly real to me, which is something I wouldn't have expected from her character so quickly.

For two people who talk a lot about how they don't want to do what "normal people" do, they sure do seem to capture a lot of what dating in this day and age is really like, with the reluctance to "define" things and the constant dancing around Where They Stand and Where Things Are Going. I see two humanly flawed people who still manage to be remarkably mature when they really need to discuss the relationship.

• Love 2

How did this show become so shmoopy so fast?

I think it started as soon as Gretchen decided to talk Jimmy through his festish and he just enjoyed the conversation instead of masturbating.  I was hooked. 

The best friend's revulsion at her husband was funny to me, and I feel terrible about it because I don't think we've been shown that there's anything wrong with him.

I know.  I have mixed feelings about this story. On one hand, I can relate to Lindsay feeling trapped (even though it wasn't a marriage for me, thankfully.)  On the other hand, there really hasn't been much shown to be wrong with Paul other than a general dweebness.  She chose to marry him--possibly for all the wrong reasons--and I can't pity her for that. 

I did get a big laugh out of seeing him in the car with the implication that he had gone to every stop to pick Lindsay up when she decided to go home for their afternoon event.  It reminded me of the character of Doug on Flight of the Conchords who was always around while his wife fangirled ridiculously over the band.

• Love 2

I think the chemistry beyond Jimmy and Gretchen is beyond amazing. That's enough to watch right there. I'm surprised they've dived so deep into coupledom so quickly, but that's the way it happens sometimes, too. 

It was interesting to see Thomas Middleditch as someone who had any modicum of cool or respect after watching him on Silicon Valley. Heh, but I have to agree with Edgar - hipsters ruin everything!

I think part of the reason that Gretchen and Jimmy have moved forward so quickly in their relationship is that they're totally in denial about having a relationship, so things like him coming to Sunday brunch which is normally such a couple-ish thing to do isn't seen by them as a couple-ish thing to do. If they were a normal couple, having Sunday brunch with a mixed group of his friend and her friend would be considered A Step Forward in the Relationship but because they keep saying they are just having fun, this kind of brunch is just people hanging out.

I like that Lindsay and Edgar are both being supportive of their relationship without pressuring their own friends to become monogamous or serious with each other (heh although I also like that Lindsay went to Jimmy instead of Gretchen to put a stop to Gretchen going to Tribeca, which I think is less about Lindsay thinking that Jimmy is the love of Gretchen's life and more about getting Gretchen to stop seeing the film guy because he's a douche).

l'm glad that Lindsay ran off at the end because (1) I hate when shows use that tired "I hate my spouse/married life sucks" schtick and (2) it was just a matter of time before it happened and I didn't want that storyline dragged out. I hope that her running off was not a temporary/baby freakout because she needs to leave her husband. I do feel bad for him though because yes, he's a boring dork but I'm pretty sure he was a boring dork when she married him. It's like when guys start dating strippers and then complain that they're strippers. Dude, you knew that when you met her! I'm pretty sure she's gonig to hook up with Edgar, so at least if she leaves her husband now we won't get stuck with the "I cheated on my husband" plotline.

Jimmy was being lame. No one should have to choose between breakfast items! Have them all! I liked that once Gretchen realized what was going on, she told him to just be honest if he didn't want her to go instead of trying to win the Phil Collins/Peter Gabriel argument. .

• Love 2

Watching Lindsay's marriage is interesting considering that the whole show started by stating how bored her sister was going to become in her marriage while the wedding was still happening. Both women appear to have entered into the marriages that they thought that they're supposed to have while Gretchen and Jimmy insist that they're not having a relationship yet the show continues to show how well-suited they are.

It would be interesting if they related Lindsey walking out to what she saw happening between the main couple.

The previous ep, the hip hop guys were worshipping her booty while Lindsey had her mouth wired shut to try to lose weight?