Type keyword(s) to search

Wednesday - General Discussion

• Start Topic

18 hours ago, LtKelley said:

Is that a problem though? I know I was watching and was thinking "this would be a hilarious crossover with HP" the whole time.

I liked the show. But I think it would've been more successful, and people would've liked it better, if they didn't use the Addams Family name but instead called it Nevermore and called the family by a different name....or have it be Wednesday's kid instead of Wednesday.....and there is the obvious problem that Netflix has control over it, which tells a lot people its probably going to go down the drain real fast, and then get canceled after the 3rd or 4th season.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

Overall, it was a fine distraction during the snow bomb cyclone that whipped through the mid-west last week.  But I agree with a lot of the criticisms, including that while Jenna Ortega nailed Wednesday, Morticia and Gomez were not written well or acted well and missed the mark compared to the original series. 

The one thing that constantly bugged me about the show was the sorta kinda love triangle they were trying to shoehorn in there.  While I think JO was great as Wednesday, she looks sooooo young in this role.  So Wednesday comes across to me as being about 14, instead of I think the 16-17 they were aiming for.  The actor who plays Tyler is 28, and I'm not sure what age the character was supposed to be - still in high school?  recent grad?  But he looked at least 20 to me.  And Xavier came across as a believable high school senior.  (The actor is 20 or 21, like JO.)  So to me, it looked like a high school freshman is being wooed by a senior and recent grad, and that just felt creepy, and not in an Addams Family sort of way. 

I think they could have styled Wednesday to look more like she was 16.  Yeah, I get it, the braids are her thing, but that's what makes her still look like a young child.  If they're going to age the character, age her hair & wardrobe. 

• Like 3

Mrs. RaiderDuck and I liked the series well enough until the final couple of episodes when it went seriously off the rails.

First, Wednesday decides to accuse multiple people of being both the Hyde and the bad guy, then wonders why no one believes her.

Then the cliché festival starts:

• Troubled boarding school student ends up being expelled even though they've done nothing wrong? Check.
  • Put-upon roommate finally snaps and gives the protagonist a piece of her mind? Check.
  • Friendly supporting character turns out to be an evil minion in disguise? Check.
  • Good guy's ally shows up in disguise (or shapeshifted) and gets the evil minion to reveal all their nefarious plans? Check.
  • Long-dead Big Bad wasn't just killed and buried, but had some extra-horrible curse placed on their soul that could be reversed and make them all-powerful? Check.
  • Evil minion resurrects the long-dead Big Bad, hoping to be the Big Bad's sidekick, only to discover the Big Bad has no use for them? Check.

Seriously, it seemed like the writers ran out of ideas how to finish up everything and just started throwing elements from The Mummy, Bully and other applicable properties against the wall to see what would stick.

Other than the horrid finale, the series wasn't bad. Jenna Ortega did a great job (even if the show did overplay her "cynical sociopath" shtick) as did the other actors (Luis Guzman is seemingly incapable of a bad performance), and the production values were through the roof. I just wish they'd come up with a better ending.

• Like 5
  • Applause 2

I have always had a fascination with the Addams family, I have been watching this over the last few weeks.  My husband who hasn't watched any of it but the last episode with me, when they are starting the ritual says, "so they are just completely ripping off Castlevania 2"

That being said, I enjoyed it, I mean yeah some of it was predictable, but still it was fun, I don't go into these things looking for massive thought provoking, I just wanted something fun and slightly twisted lol

• Like 2
13 hours ago, TigerLily20 said:

That being said, I enjoyed it, I mean yeah some of it was predictable, but still it was fun, I don't go into these things looking for massive thought provoking, I just wanted something fun and slightly twisted lol

This. 

I finally finished this last night and I thought it was a really fun watch. I liked how sentimental the last episode was, too. 

• Like 3
On 12/2/2022 at 9:23 AM, Spartan Girl said:

I’m actually disappointed Tyler turned out to be the Hyde, because I really did like the relationship he and Wednesday had. I don’t like Xavier all that much: he reeks of Angry Nice Guy syndrome, even though he sort of apologized for that in the finale.

I actually feel like the Hyde reveal made Tyler an even better love interest for Wednesday. Like this is Wednesday Addams, a barely contained beast who could snap at any moment and try to kill her is probably one of her greatest fantasies. In their first scene, Tyler is trying to fix the espresso machine, and complaining that it’s a beast with a mind of its own, and Wednesday fixes it in 5 seconds. Based on that, I wouldn’t be surprised if they brought Tyler back next season, with Wednesday becoming his new master in order to defeat the next big bad, but that might be too dark for a teen drama.

I thought Jenna Ortega popped with pretty much every one of her scene partners except for Xavier, so I hope they drop the romance on that front, but I doubt they will. The show seems determined to do a slow burn with him. 

On 12/25/2022 at 9:18 PM, nodorothyparker said:

Didn't care about the sort of kind of not really triangle the show was definitely hinting at but was a little sorry to see Tyler was not only the hyde but that he was fully aware of what he was doing. The actor had good chemistry with Ortega and played well off of all the weirdness around him. It's also less interesting to me to see a psycho go full psycho because a villain's gotta villain than if he had been a more gothic tragic figure unaware he even had that in him.

I think they were hinting at the Hyde persona starting to bleed into the human form of Tyler. The psychiatrist noted that during his sessions, Tyler would become cold and distant, like a completely different person. And then later at the police station, after he confessed to murdering people and liking it, he sort of shifts into this trance that doesn’t seem like an act. I don’t think he became self aware that he was the Hyde until the episode with the dance, when he doesn’t actually kill Eugene, but I’d have to watch again with clearer eyes, knowing now how the season ends.

On 12/11/2022 at 11:56 PM, neptunewaves said:

He was also so ride or die from the get go (never expecting something in exchange like a certain someone), and I guess we can blame all that on Laurel's control, but then why would he agree to help Wednesday escape? Laurel needed her at Nevermore, and didn't have all the pieces needed for the ritual yet, so... what was the reasoning there? Make it make sense, show!

This is why I don’t think he was self aware for the first few episodes. Laurel knew that Rowan was trying to kill Wednesday so triggered the Hyde to take him out, and to not kill Wednesday, because she was needed for the ritual. I don’t think actual Tyler had any idea who Wednesday was, and initially entering her orbit and offering to help her get out of town wasn’t a part of Laurel’s plan. Again, it was the dance episode, when Laurel discovered Wednesday brought Tyler as her date, that it seemed like the dynamic between Tyler and Wednesday shifted, and all of his interactions with her were strategic in throwing her off Laurel’s scent. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Harvey said:

Does anybody know what is the song they used? It's catchy.

It's a remix of "Bloody Mary" by Lady Gaga.  A video of the dance scene recut with that underneath went viral a few weeks ago, so Netflix is leaning into it.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 1/7/2023 at 1:48 PM, starri said:

It's a remix of "Bloody Mary" by Lady Gaga.  A video of the dance scene recut with that underneath went viral a few weeks ago, so Netflix is leaning into it.

Haha, that is fitting. Thanks! 😇

I just now finished this, this show wasn't even on my radar but kept hearing how it was one of Netflix's biggest shows, so I figured I had to check it out

It was cute, not the greatest, but I enjoyed it, I have to say though, some of the CGI was just down right awful (the hyde, the werewolf)

I liked the love triangle, usually I don't care for them, but I found myself thinking, "man I'm not sure which one to root for" I was giving the slight edge to Tyler, but I would enjoy her with Xavier if they become a thing in season 2

And I don't get the push back about the black characters, I found both of them redeemable??? I sometimes wonder if these "critics" have ever seen other TV shows....

• Like 1

I think visually it was very very good (minus some CGI, I agree with you there @snickers , especially the Hyde - maybe they didn't want to risk getting a higher PG rating?) but the story wasn't on the same level. I was almost disappointed how 'by the way' some issues got resolved, like the shape shifting headmistress.
The uncle Fester episode was a highlight.

I'm late to the party with this one (which is sadly necessary with a lot of Netflix content, in case they randomly decide to cancel it). Watched the first two episodes and I'm really enjoying it.

Jenna Ortega is amazing, and Wednesday Addams isn't an easy role to play. She has to express a lot of depth and emotion while being almost completely monotone, with a fixed expression.  It's doubly hard because Christina Ricci's version of the character has been in the popular consciousness for thirty years. And I was definitely one of the countless pre-teen boys who developed a crush on Wednesday, and Christina Ricci, after watching The Addams Family Values. But Ortega has created her own version that is immediately recognisable but distinct.

Catherine Zeta-Jones as Morticia is inspired casting, but I don't like Luiz Guzman as Gomez. I know he looks a lot like the original comic strip Gomez, but the screen version is defined by Raul Julia's suave, debonair charm and Guzman just doesn't give me that.

I like Enid a lot, as the anti-Wednesday. The idea of a colourful, fluffy, bouncy werewolf girl (who can't actually turn into a wolf) is funny. I feel like if she could change, she'd definitely become a Golden Retriever.

The teen boys/love interests/possible bad guys are a bit blah at the moment. Either of them could be evil, neither of them are really that interesting.

It's really cool that they got Christina Ricci to appear in this, and not as a cameo but as a significant character. It must be a little strange for both her and Jenna Ortega, to have one Wednesday playing opposite another, but probably exciting too.

This just goes to show that something doesn't need to be headline, ground-breaking, "important" television to be thoroughly enjoyable and worthwhile.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Like 5

By episode two I already figured out who they were setting up for the big bads and the goth harry potter vibes were hitting hard so I kind of lost interest.  My sister did watch and was disappointed with the series finale but found the season watchable. I might try to give it another go but it did make me go watch the 90's movies tho!

• Like 1

I finished the series yesterday, and can't wait for season two. This show is how you revive and reboot an old show/movie properly. Get a charming cast and witty writing that doesn't try to be smarter than the audience, hit a load of nostalgia and remind people why they love these characters.

Jenna Ortega could be a Zendaya level star, in my opinion. She's just so captivating to watch. Wednesday is a character that requires a lot of an actor, while not letting them do much at all, and Ortega is more than a match for it. The scene where she's watching Fester revive Thing was so, so good. That was the first time she truly let her guard down, that she wasn't able to hide from the fear and grief that losing Thing would bring.

Emma Myers was so much fun as Enid. A neurotic, fun-loving, gossip queen who can break through Wednesday's strongest shields. They are such a fun odd couple, and I'm definitely a fan of the romantic subtext between them.

I think Catherine Zeta-Jones was fine as Morticia. No Angelica Huston, of course, but she embodied that cold, patrician austerity that Morticia shows everyone except Gomez. Speaking of, I think Luis Guzman was badly miscast. He had none of the suaveness of Gomez, none of the charm or wit. Those things aren't in Guzman's wheelhouse.

I can't help thinking that John Leguizamo or Benjamin Bratt would have been better. The dream would be Miguel Angel Silvestre, even if he's a little on the young side.

I really liked Fred Armisen as Fester. They played up the creepy factor with him, emphasising that he's a dangerous, unstable criminal and not just a goofy, bald weirdo. But I really liked that he and Wednesday have a very special bond that's built on mutual respect as well as love.

• Like 8
On 12/2/2022 at 11:14 PM, festivus said:

The best thing was Wednesday dancing. I just was not expecting that and it was brilliant.

1. I have been in love with Jenna Ortega’s Wednesday since the moment I saw her dance.
  2. Comparing this Wednesday to ‘60s-based “TV Wednesday” or ‘90s-based “Movie Wednesday” is comparing apples to oranges to Fabergé eggs; although related, each is its own discrete entity with character depth appropriate to its significance in its own particular presentation vehicle.
  • Like 4

Just finished it. I thought it was cute, and Ortega was perfection as Wednesday. Yes, it was rather derivative, and I'm not typically a big YA fan, but overall the eight episodes were watchable. 

This is a really boring, stale ripoff of Sabrina, and a waste of the IP.

Do you mean Chilling Adventures Sabrina? (Surely not Melissa Joan Hart Sabrina). I don't really see any parallels either way. I certainly see the Harry Potter influence, though. Hence my comments about it being derivative. It didn't bug me enough to dislike it though.

I must have crazy high expectations.  Catherine Zeta Jones and Luis Guzman cannot fill the shoes of the previous Morticia's or Gomez's

Is it because previous incarnations of Gomez have been conventionally handsome? I admit I was taken aback at first by Guzman, but he does in fact come far closer to resembling Charles Addams' depiction of Gomez than any other actor. 

Morticia, on the other hand, is a rather one-note character, and I see little difference whether she's played by Carolyn Jones, Angelica Huston or Catherine Zeta Jones.

Next season I hope we get to see Grandmama and Cousin Itt.

• Like 2

I loved it.  In fact, I'm starting a rewatch. 

I grew up with the Addams Family TV show, and John Astin is my Gomez.  His slavish devotion to Morticia, kissing up her arm, the tango, etc. kind of charmed me souch as a child.  Granted, Guzman is a dead ringer for the original-original Gomez Addams, so I get it.  Thankfully, Wednesday is the focus for the show, so all that can fade into the background.

Thing, on the other hand, is everything.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

This show is a mess. Wednesday just keeps guessing, incorrectly, until she gets a convenient vision or a bad guy confesses. Xavier mopes in jail and sends Wednesday away instead of realizing the obvious, that Wednesday is the only one who can get him out of jail, and working with her. No one seems to realize that the drawing, *which shows Crackstone* next to Wednesday and the missing body parts add up to bringing him back. Mixing Addams Family with a mystery was a great idea, it needs to be a lot smarter.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

Welp, I was disappointed in this. It looks gorgeous but oh God, was so sloppily, badly written, and oh man, the acting!

Ortega is okay, but while she has charisma for days and I can see why this has made her a star, I don't think she's very good, just passable. In so many scenes, I feel like we can see her visibly scrambling for how to maintain a reaction -- Go deadpan? Act like she cares? Doesn't care? All of the above? And look, I get it -- she was given a really tough job here. Wednesday is utterly inconsistent  -- it's an almost impossible acting task.

Meanwhile, ugh, Gomez and Morticia! So upsetting. CZJ and Luis Guzman (especially) feel like they're barely bothering to show up. I've always loved Guzman (so good in TRAFFIC!), and he's visually comic-accurate. But his line deliveries are terrible—slurred, and slow, and so (shockingly) are CZJ's—they have zero chemistry, zero wit, and zero acting energy. Every time Gomez spoke the show came to a complete stop. And CZJ's dead eyes and slow delivery were almost as bad. 

I know it's perhaps unfair to compare versions, but I have to do that here because the Addamses (historically the core) are so disappointing. Raul Julia had this incredible energy (and so did John Astin) -- they made Gomez fun, and you could see why Morticia was mad for him (and vice versa). Here, both CZJ and Guzman are lifeless and heavy. They appear to cringe away from each other in the few "now act like you are sexually crazy for each other" scenes. And honestly, Guzman is just too old -- he's 70 years old for goodness's sakes (and looks it).

I'm extra salty on this because I adore the Addams family, and honestly Gomez and Morticia are total couple goals, darn it! One of my favorite pop culture relationships ever, and both previous versions nailed that sense of whimsy, fun, and commitment.

But oh boy, did Burton miss the boat here. Overall, the writing was still a huge weak spot for me. The villains were painfully easy to pinpoint from episode 2 onward by anyone who ever watched a "Murder She Wrote" (it's always the overqualified guest actor!). Also, beyond the cardboard characters and Emo Boys, can I ask... why was Wednesday's ancestor "Goody" (short for "goodwife") when she was presented as being about 14 years old -- noticeably much younger than Wednesday herself? And Crackstone was just silly and stupid. Wasted time.

Meanwhile, Wednesday's a fun character, but she's so inconsistent! Half the time she's a robotic/sociopathic punchline and the other half, she's supposed to be real and emotive. And her total blindness to the obvious Idiot Plot makes her look really... er, frustratingly not smart.

I mean, I get that it's a challenging line to draw -- she's "happy" to be "miserable" etc. -- but for me it wasn't anywhere near as smart, well-drawn or entertaining as Christina Ricci's interpretations in the movies (still the gold standard for me). Which made it that more more painful to see Ricci play this ridiculous obvious character here. Ugh.

I did enjoy Ortega okay, loved Enid, Thing, and their adorable relationship. I kind of shipped Weds with Enid, but of course that won't happen, so we got the silly (obvious) Emo Boy Triangle. I did love Joy Sunday as Bianca and Gwendoline Christie as Weems. But what a non-ending copout for poor Weems.

In the end, I thought this was an okay if maddening teen show. I definitely feel like Burton must have really badly directed the actors in general -- I just felt like so much of the acting was either above or below what was needed. The look was gorgeous, as is usual with Burton, and it was a pleasant change to see him do something with actual people of color(!), but honestly? This was so overhyped. I would not even call it a "good show." Much less a pop culture phenomenon.

On 12/11/2022 at 8:56 PM, neptunewaves said:

I like non hyde Tyler. The romance was unnecesary, sure, but he still had great chemistry with Jenna (second only to Enid's actress, but I knew they were going to brush that off along with all the storytelling beats that would have naturally lead to a romantic relationship if Enid was a guy, so), and I just enjoyed watching this laidback barista being unfazed by all the insanity surrounding Wednesday, and even, dare I say it, enjoying her quirks? He seemed genuinely amused/fascinated. Showing her Legally Blonde was inspired, like, he gets her. He was also so ride or die from the get go (never expecting something in exchange like a certain someone), and I guess we can blame all that on Laurel's control, but then why would he agree to help Wednesday escape? Laurel needed her at Nevermore, and didn't have all the pieces needed for the ritual yet, so... what was the reasoning there? Make it make sense, show!

I so agree with a lot of this. I had issues with Tyler but I liked the elements you mention here too -- even while instantly assuming none of it was real because it was so telegraphed. Even in the end, the show could have made the situation so much more moving, and almost hinted that Tyler did care for her. Then directly after, nope, he can't wait to kill her. Sigh. So boring and predictable.

On 12/23/2022 at 4:12 AM, LadyChaos said:

Xavier is open an honest about his thoughts and feelings yeah....I mean the audacity of a guy being open and honest....but he also calls Wednesday on her crap all the time...

He saves her...and she makes a remark about him trying to be the big strong man saving the weak woman who hopes the woman will be gratefully indebted to him...and he goes 'OMG! Your soooo right...I couldn't possibly have done it just because it was the right thing to do...of course not. I also couldn't have done it because you saved my life once...no...It must be because I thought you were a weak female...'  ..... or when Wednesday called him an 'Elitist snob' and he turned it back on her with 'Well...since our families are both wealthy and run in the same circles....If I'm an elitist snob, what does that make you?' 

Meanwhile, Tyler is over here 'I'm getting mixed signals from you. Do you like me? Want to date me? No...let me ask again in another episode. Let me take you on this super romantic date? You took me to this old run down house, where I nearly died(not really) but I'm the only one that lets that roll off my back and still wants to kiss you when your friends rightfully called you on your crap and then bailed. (I mean of course we know why at the end....but....still.)

I think this is fair -- I liked both guys in some ways, I was just irritated at the way the show tried to be coy -- to play both sides, to keep both guys interesting. Even when it started to feel visibly artificial (to me). 

On 12/28/2022 at 8:34 AM, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

First, Wednesday decides to accuse multiple people of being both the Hyde and the bad guy, then wonders why no one believes her.

Then the cliché festival starts:

• Troubled boarding school student ends up being expelled even though they've done nothing wrong? Check.
  • Put-upon roommate finally snaps and gives the protagonist a piece of her mind? Check.
  • Friendly supporting character turns out to be an evil minion in disguise? Check.
  • Good guy's ally shows up in disguise (or shapeshifted) and gets the evil minion to reveal all their nefarious plans? Check.
  • Long-dead Big Bad wasn't just killed and buried, but had some extra-horrible curse placed on their soul that could be reversed and make them all-powerful? Check.
  • Evil minion resurrects the long-dead Big Bad, hoping to be the Big Bad's sidekick, only to discover the Big Bad has no use for them? Check.

THIS. Everything you mention here.

On 1/22/2023 at 9:13 AM, Silver-hyren said:

I’m disappointed we didn’t get a scene where Thing’s nails were painted with Enid’s pastel polish.  When she said they bonded while giving each other manicures I was sure it was a set-up for that.

I would have loved this so much!

On 2/10/2023 at 11:14 AM, Ottis said:

This show is a mess. Wednesday just keeps guessing, incorrectly, until she gets a convenient vision or a bad guy confesses. Xavier mopes in jail and sends Wednesday away instead of realizing the obvious, that Wednesday is the only one who can get him out of jail, and working with her. No one seems to realize that the drawing, *which shows Crackstone* next to Wednesday and the missing body parts add up to bringing him back. Mixing Addams Family with a mystery was a great idea, it needs to be a lot smarter.

100% agreed. The actual storyline here -- the writing, the mystery itself? Were seriously embarrassingly bad and weak.

• Like 3

I just finally watched this show. Despite hearing about it for a while. I have to confess I'm not sure I've ever seen the Addams family. Like I know what it is but there were clear stuff that went over my head due to this such as her uncle randomly appearing and being very annoying or Thing.

Anyhow as for the story itself. It was an entertaining watch but agreeing with above, Wednesday needs to learn how to integrate people. You can't just accuse them, as they aren't going to confess. And she was wrong twice, and due to not waiting for the proof.

I honestly was suspicious of Tyler from the beginning. It seemed obvious that he was an outcast. I'm not sure how much was him or the creature. Like he generally seemed scared when Wednesday kidnapped him. So was he innocent but being used? If that's the case he's dad should have told him the truth about his mother, then none of this would have happened.

One thing that bothered me about both of the love interests was that they were so pushy and controlling. She made it clear to both of them, that she didn't want a relationship. But then they got offended when she didn't act like she was already in one with them. Also how much time had passed, it didn't seem like she had enough time to have two of them after her.

As for the other characters they fit the usual stereo types, Queen Bee who turns out to be a decent, Nerdy best friend who saves the day, etc.

As for the teacher that was behind it. So if I understand correctly she faked her death, went back and got a job at the school where she hates the students do to them being "different". Waited around for years for a specific student to come at some point. To use magic to conjure her ancestor to kill them. And didn't see the irony in that. 

Anyhow some thoughts. I can see why people watched this how. I did know somethings going in, such as Edin's (sp) wolfing out at the climax (though this was also just predictable) and the infamous dance scene.

• Like 1

This was on my list but I felt it was the best fit during spooky season so I’m starting it now. 

I am only on episode two, but I’m really loving the acting Victor Dorobantu is doing as Thing! No dialogue and no face but Thing is a real character, and it gives you a new perspective on “talking with your hands”. 

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I’m really loving the acting Victor Dorobantu is doing as Thing! No dialogue and no face but Thing is a real character, and it gives you a new perspective on “talking with your hands”.

I'm not sure where it is, but there is a behind the scenes snippet that shows what he went through to film Thing.  It was really interesting. 

• Like 1

This was a fun series. I’m glad I saved it for October, it was great to watch when I didn’t have time for a full movie from my list but wanted to be spooky. 

Enid finally wolfing out was expected, she and Thing were my fav supporting characters. 

• Like 3
On 7/16/2023 at 1:12 PM, blueray said:

I honestly was suspicious of Tyler from the beginning. It seemed obvious that he was an outcast. I'm not sure how much was him or the creature. Like he generally seemed scared when Wednesday kidnapped him. So was he innocent but being used? If that's the case he's dad should have told him the truth about his mother, then none of this would have happened.

I wasn’t spoiled going in, but given his Mom was absent and his Dad refused to talk about it, I assumed she was an outcast and there was a backstory there. I think non-Hyde Tyler did like Wednesday, but I’m not clear on how much Human Tyler remembers when he is a Hyde and all the mythology around that. 

• Like 1