Type keyword(s) to search

Keep Sweet: Pray And Obey - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 6/11/2022 at 2:16 PM, Avaleigh said:

One thing that I was reminded about was that Elissa and Ruby were both married to younger men but it didn't make their situations any better because both girls were married off against their will and were too young to be able to consent in any case. It's not only about young girls being married to men old enough to be their grandfathers or even great-grandfathers. It's about girls (and adult women) being forced into situations where they are abused on a daily basis. 

I would think being in a forced marriage with an elderly guy would be a better situation for you at the end of the day. Of course arranged marriage or plural marriage isn’t always forced marriage, but if it’s forced, 1. An older guy probably has a bunch of wives already, more freedom for you, 2. He’s elderly so you’re less likely to conceive and be trapped by having kids (like I said about Rebecca above), 3. He’s less likely to be physical abusive and if he is you have a better chance of being able to defend yourself.

What good is it being married to a younger guy if he is going to abuse and rape you, force you to have children you don’t want. Or better case he is nice to you, but you can be taken away from him (whom you’ve grown to love/care for) at any time. 

The only people that benefit from this system are the small percentage of men at the very top. It’s not even men as a group. Or even the top 3rd. It’s like the top 1% and it’s crabs in a barrel. 

On 7/11/2022 at 9:38 PM, Scarlett45 said:

If the Wall father actually cared about his wives and children (and yes I am sure you can love and care for multiple spouses and kids) when Warren tried to take them away he would’ve said “fuck no sir” and stood up to him, or taken his family and left the community. (Which he could do because he had resources)

But no guns. 😉

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I am going to put this on my list of things to watch, then I will tell my late parents, again, "thank you for being mellow Lutherans."  We weren't even "C & E" Lutherans:  Christmas and Easter Lutherans.

Shocking literally no one who is on these posts, today the 'mainstream' Mormon church is under investigation for hiding child abuse.

A lawsuit has been filed against the church by a woman who was abused by her father, as was a younger 'sister', and the church never reported it.

Shades of the Catholic church scandal and as a RCR (roman catholic retired), I think I can state definitively.......it's about damn time!

Every sect pretending that men are the 'gods' of the sect, needs to be investigated, disbanded or reimagined.  Thank the lord for the current pope who is trying, but powerful people are entrenched and want to retain their power.

Regardless of the 'belief system', any sect pretending that one sex has the ultimate answer to all questions because they and they alone commune with god.....should be disbanded.

Scientologists don't seem to have a 'god', but some sort of weird supreme alien...really the same thing.

• Applause 1
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, kaygeeret said:

Shocking literally no one who is on these posts, today the 'mainstream' Mormon church is under investigation for hiding child abuse.

A lawsuit has been filed against the church by a woman who was abused by her father, as was a younger 'sister', and the church never reported it.

Shades of the Catholic church scandal and as a RCR (roman catholic retired), I think I can state definitively.......it's about damn time!

Every sect pretending that men are the 'gods' of the sect, needs to be investigated, disbanded or reimagined.  Thank the lord for the current pope who is trying, but powerful people are entrenched and want to retain their power.

Regardless of the 'belief system', any sect pretending that one sex has the ultimate answer to all questions because they and they alone commune with god.....should be disbanded.

Scientologists don't seem to have a 'god', but some sort of weird supreme alien...really the same thing.

I think this sort of thing is rife in every organized religion. I am Catholic and people make snide comments about the church. I do not deny the horror of what was done and covered up, but I highly doubt there is any organized religion out there that doesn't have this going on. 

True libgirl2, and I want to reiterate that I believe the same.

I may not have been clear in my post that ALL sects that give one sex power over all things are rife with abuse.  More seems to come to light all the time, including some evangelical sects.

• Like 1

Just finished watching.  Agree with everything that's already been posted but I wanted to add that the ending seemed abrupt to me.  I wanted way more follow-up on where these people were today.  Maybe they didn't want to share?  

• Like 2

Watched this over the last few days after it had been on my Netflix list for years. It was interesting, horrifying but interesting. I liked how much actual footage they were able to get. 

And they did a good job of explaining how people could go along with it. For the men, it was like a terrible version of Wooderson from Dazed and Confused. As long as you support the FLDS you get older and your wives stay the same the same age. And then for the younger women they did a good job showing how they knew nothing else. They mentioned they would have no money and no financial independence. And one of the women ex-members said they wouldn't even understand the concept of a women's shelter. I would have liked to see more about how they got that first generation of women to go along with it though. 

I was also really curious how they raised so much cash to buy the land in Texas, build the compound, and pay for Warren to be a fugitive and then his legal fees. I think they said there was only like 3500 members at the time and it is hard to see them being able to generate a ton of cash, especially the women and children and especially after they kick out a bunch of the high ranking men. So where did all the money come from.

And like others said I would have liked to see some more aftermath. Like if the church still exists how often does Children's services drop by?

But also the landscape and rock formations around their original compound looked really nice.