Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Save the drama for your mama ... and sisters.

After the first bankruptcy, I would think that Toni would learn that the artist is footing the bill at the end of the day either way you go. The question for the Braxtons is do you want to foot the bill using the small percentage of money you get from the label after they take their cut or do you want to foot the bill yourself upfront and keep all of your revenue (and the masters of your music!)?

If they go through a record company, the label essentially gives them a loan to pay for the album recording, advances, production, and touring, but the Braxtons would then pay for that loan out of their royalties, which is the money they are entitled to after the label takes a large percentage of the revenue. Toni found herself in bankruptcy because the percentage of royalties she got hardly covered the loan she had to pay back to the label for the producer(s), recording costs, advances, video costs, and touring expenses. Going independent would mean that the Braxtons could pay for their expenses, then keep the majority of the revenue - thus eliminating the large cut the label takes.

Going with a label means that if the project fails to make money;  the label takes the loss on the initial investment. Doing it independently means that if the project fails to make money; the Braxton's take the loss. Going through a label minimizes the financial risk for the ladies. It also simplifies the process. The label produces, markets and distributes etc. They can always negotiate the terms that they feel will serve them best (including retaining the masters). The simplest route is probably the best option for them. The fewer decisions that the sisters have to make on the project the better. More decision making will only further stall the project. 

Will a gospel album by the Braxton's generate huge profits? I personally doubt it. Would I personally dump a huge investment into that project, probably not?

It's amazing how Toni can say anything she wants to her sisters, but when Tamar says the same exact thing it's world war 3.

It's Tamar's delivery. I just watched the smoked vajayjay episode, and there's a scene with Tamar & her crew discussing the dancers for her show. She's doing her head shaking and slang talking thing and her "conversation" is gunfire to any person trying to talk to her. So once again I lose interest in her debate/discussion because a skunk just walked in and it's time to go.

Or else she should only discuss serious matters during acupuncture sessions when she's too chill for the theatrics. 

• Love 1

It's Tamar's delivery. I just watched the smoked vajayjay episode, and there's a scene with Tamar & her crew discussing the dancers for her show. She's doing her head shaking and slang talking thing and her "conversation" is gunfire to any person trying to talk to her. So once again I lose interest in her debate/discussion because a skunk just walked in and it's time to go.

Or else she should only discuss serious matters during acupuncture sessions when she's too chill for the theatrics. 

I agree and actually I think several people have made that same point. Tamar's delivery is very confrontational. Toni is very diplomatic. Her commentary never comes off as confrontational. We've seen Toni be insensitive but never confrontational. She has a very calm motherly way of delivering her commentary. I think her sisters, while they may disagree or be annoyed; they don't feel disrespected. The sisters do after all  complain about Toni's unsolicited advice.

Edited by cafe au lait

It's not 100% Tamar's delivery. Tamar just isn't respected the way Toni is. Tamar is the youngest and resented for being "the baby" that Toni and everyone spoiled; Toni is the eldest and respected as the superstar who broke them into the showbiz world.

Edited by anonymiss
  • Love 3

Well, there is a reason Tamar was called "the mouth" by their father since she was young. The real problem is that her antics were probably considered cute by all when she was young and then indulged by Toni and the parents especially because she was the baby and the parents split was especially hard on her. So instead of her being broken out of her behavior, it was excused and is now ingrained in her. I truly don't think she means to be hurtful, she really thinks she is helping her sisters. Remember, she escaped the abusive relationship cycle, cheating, verbal and physical abuse and I think seeing her sisters seemingly stuck in this vicious cycle pains her. I still remember her first season comments about how all the sisters men, Toni included, had men in their lives who used, abused and mistreated them to varying degrees, yet they stay for no clear reason, at least in Tamar's eyes.

Edited by Happytobehere
  • Love 4

I think that's exactly what it is. On one of the reunions she was sorta kinda bragging on her life, but then she turned and said, but ALL my sisters could live like this/get a successful man like VH.

I think it truly bothered her how Towanda was living with a husband who refused to get a job. And how Traci's husband cheated on her all the time, and how Trina's husband did the same.

She feels like they could do better but they choose not to.

• Love 1

It's not 100% Tamar's delivery. Tamar just isn't respected the way Toni is. Tamar is the youngest and resented for being "the baby" that Toni and everyone spoiled; Toni is the eldest and respected as the superstar who broke them into the showbiz world.

"Superstar" or not, older siblings are often idolized by their younger siblings. That is really not that unusual. 

Towanda confirmed exactly that in the last episode. Trina, Traci, and Towanda were talking about whether they would take advice from Toni or Tamar on the album and she said that Tamar is on that "new new" (which is weird, considering that Tamar is on her 5th record contract, so she isn't exactly new to the game), but that Toni was the veteran who got everyone else into the game, so Toni's advice should be taken. I'm sure that birth order has a lot to do with it as well. Just by being born first, Toni is the respected leader of the siblings while Tamar, by sheer birth order, will always be seen as the spoiled baby sister.

It can't be about Tamar's deliver because even when she delivers constructive criticism calmly, the sisters take it wrong. Like the last time Tamar gave advice to Traci, it was about how Traci should release a single before she releases her album. That was calm and nice, but Traci still took it wrong and it blew up into a fight. In the last episode, we saw Tamar calmly (no jokes and no loudness) offer Trina the advice of using lipo to get rid of the issues surrounding her hernia. Trina took it wrong and decided to go in on Tamar and the whole thing blew up. If Toni had said the same thing to Trina using the same calm tone of voice and heartfelt concern, Trina would not have snapped back at Toni with that shady "well how did it feel when you got lipo" comment.

Edited by WimminWinning
  • Love 6

Well, there is a reason Tamar was called "the mouth" by their father since she was young. The real problem is that her antics were probably considered cute by all when she was young and then indulged by Toni and the parents especially because she was the baby and the parents split was especially hard on her. So instead of her being broken out of her behavior, it was excused and is now ingrained in her. I truly don't think she means to be hurtful, she really thinks she is helping her sisters. Remember, she escaped the abusive relationship cycle, cheating, verbal and physical abuse and I think seeing her sisters seemingly stuck in this vicious cycle pains her. I still remember her first season comments about how all the sisters men, Toni included, had men in their lives who used, abused and mistreated them to varying degrees, yet they stay for no clear reason, at least in Tamar's eyes.

Tamar is not a saint. Marrying a man who has a successful career does not make you a relationship expert, financial genius, life coach, or a therapist. Marrying Vince did not make her Jesus the omniscient Christ Child. She was a loud, obnoxious and immature before she married Vince. So now shes loud, obnoxious and immature with a few extra coins. While she's not a saint. She's also not a demon. She like most people wants the best for her family. Some of her actions no doubt come from a place of love and some of them are rooted in her own personal neurosis. When you don't think before you speak; It is difficult to avoid making offensive comments. Repeatedly unleashing unfiltered commentary on the people around you will win you more enemies, that it will friends. The I didn't mean any harm excuse eventually wears thin. Should you reasonably expect anything less than harm to come from unfiltered commentary? 

I think it truly bothered her how Towanda was living with a husband who refused to get a job. And how Traci's husband cheated on her all the time, and how Trina's husband did the same.

She feels like they could do better but they choose not to.

Tamar should focus on her own marriage. There are enough problems there to keep her busy for a long long time. There's nothing special about having a successful husband who can't stand to be in the same room with you or whom you can't be in the same room with, without starting an argument.

• Love 4

Towanda confirmed exactly that in the last episode. Trina, Traci, and Towanda were talking about whether they would take advice from Toni or Tamar on the album and she said that Tamar is on that "new new" (which is weird, considering that Tamar is on her 5th record contract, so she isn't exactly new to the game), but that Toni was the veteran who got everyone else into the game, so Toni's advice should be taken. I'm sure that birth order has a lot to do with it as well. Just by being born first, Toni is the respected leader of the siblings while Tamar, by sheer birth order, will always be seen as the spoiled baby sister.

It can't be about Tamar's deliver because even when she delivers constructive criticism calmly, the sisters take it wrong. Like the last time Tamar gave advice to Traci, it was about how Traci should release a single before she releases her album. That was calm and nice, but Traci still took it wrong and it blew up into a fight. In the last episode, we saw Tamar calmly (no jokes and no loudness) offer Trina the advice of using lipo to get rid of the issues surrounding her hernia. Trina took it wrong and decided to go in on Tamar and the whole thing blew up. If Toni had said the same thing to Trina using the same calm tone of voice and heartfelt concern, Trina would not have snapped back at Toni with that shady "well how did it feel when you got lipo" comment.

Tamar has had 5 contacts but prior to Love & War she had released one album. She's not new to signing contracts. She is however new to making records. They weren't discussing from whom they would like advice. They were discussing their frustrations with no work being done on the album; due to the fact that Tamar wants to do everything her way and Toni wants to do everything her way.

Traci was very defensive after Tamar's comment because she was annoyed. However, they didn't really fight about it. As I mentioned before Traci and Tamar both have a very confrontational style of communicating; which is one of the reasons that they often clash.  

I thought that the lipo exchange appears in next weeks episode.

• Love 1

Tamar has had 5 contacts but prior to Love & War she had released one album. She's not new to signing contracts. She is however new to making records. They weren't discussing from whom they would like advice. They were discussing their frustrations with no work being done on the album; due to the fact that Tamar wants to do everything her way and Toni wants to do everything her way.

Traci was very defensive after Tamar's comment because she was annoyed. However, they didn't really fight about it. As I mentioned before Traci and Tamar both have a very confrontational style of communicating; which is one of the reasons that they often clash.  

I thought that the lipo exchange appears in next weeks episode.

To date, Tamar has recorded 5 albums and she's working on her 6th now: 4 solo studio albums (there was a Christmas album and an album called "Ridiculous" that wasn't released) and there was the Braxton's "So Many Ways" album. And she released a few singles in between "Love&War" and "Tamar". She's not new to making records. Recording multiple albums plus the multiple contracts gives her an expertise about getting record deals and making/selling albums. Even failed attempts is experience worthy of giving advice, imo.   

In regards to the Traci altercation, it didn't turn into an all-out fight because Tamar had decided after the last therapy session that she wasn't going to fight anymore, so she left the table after Traci's attitude went stank. If she had stayed, it would have been the usual fight about nothing. Also, Traci is always annoyed and always defensive. I was watching Traci while everyone was having fun singing around the piano in the last episode, and Traci looked annoyed there for no damn good reason. Although I agree that Traci was annoyed, being annoyed isn't an excuse to snap on Tamar all the time. Tamar is not her punching bag or frustration release.

I truly don't think she means to be hurtful, she really thinks she is helping her sisters. Remember, she escaped the abusive relationship cycle, cheating, verbal and physical abuse and I think seeing her sisters seemingly stuck in this vicious cycle pains her. I still remember her first season comments about how all the sisters men, Toni included, had men in their lives who used, abused and mistreated them to varying degrees, yet they stay for no clear reason, at least in Tamar's eyes.

Tamar is not a saint. Marrying a man who has a successful career does not make you a relationship expert, financial genius, life coach, or a therapist. Marrying Vince did not make her Jesus the omniscient Christ Child. She was a loud, obnoxious and immature before she married Vince. So now shes loud, obnoxious and immature with a few extra coins. While she's not a saint. She's also not a demon. She like most people wants the best for her family. Some of her actions no doubt come from a place of love and some of them are rooted in her own personal neurosis. When you don't think before you speak; It is difficult to avoid making offensive comments. Repeatedly unleashing unfiltered commentary on the people around you will win you more enemies, that it will friends. The I didn't mean any harm excuse eventually wears thin. Should you reasonably expect anything less than harm to come from unfiltered commentary? 

Tamar should focus on her own marriage. There are enough problems there to keep her busy for a long long time. There's nothing special about having a successful husband who can't stand to be in the same room with you or whom you can't be in the same room with, without starting an argument.

I agree with the original argument, which was that Tamar broke from a cycle of abuse, sees her sisters still stuck in that cycle, and is trying to help them to break free too. It has nothing to do with Vince being successful. Tamar went from accepting abuse and cheating to only accepting a man who was not cheating (unlike Gabe, Traci's husband, and Toni's ex), supports her dreams (unlike Traci's husband), and contributes to the family both financially and as a present father (unlike Andre). That doesn't mean that Tamar's a saint or that her marriage is perfect, but she made a change in what she will accept from a man and she wants her sisters to do the same.

• Love 2

Is Traci's husband Kevin slow? I didn't see the scene where he said he was unfaithful within the last few months, so I don't know how that foolishness went down, but for this strange reconvening, the dude still seemed extremely slow on the uptake. Even if I am to believe his mind heard one thing, why is it he still can't answer without his brain stuttering.

I'm also sure that if he misheard on Marriage Bootcamp, that foolishness would have been cleared up before the Braxtons filming. I didn't believe this crossover reveal at all.

• Love 1

To date, Tamar has recorded 5 albums and she's working on her 6th now: 4 solo studio albums (there was a Christmas album and an album called "Ridiculous" that wasn't released) and there was the Braxton's "So Many Ways" album. And she released a few singles in between "Love&War" and "Tamar". She's not new to making records. Recording multiple albums plus the multiple contracts gives her an expertise about getting record deals and making/selling albums. Even failed attempts is experience worthy of giving advice, imo.   

In regards to the Traci altercation, it didn't turn into an all-out fight because Tamar had decided after the last therapy session that she wasn't going to fight anymore, so she left the table after Traci's attitude went stank. If she had stayed, it would have been the usual fight about nothing. Also, Traci is always annoyed and always defensive. I was watching Traci while everyone was having fun singing around the piano in the last episode, and Traci looked annoyed there for no damn good reason. Although I agree that Traci was annoyed, being annoyed isn't an excuse to snap on Tamar all the time. Tamar is not her punching bag or frustration release.

I agree with the original argument, which was that Tamar broke from a cycle of abuse, sees her sisters still stuck in that cycle, and is trying to help them to break free too. It has nothing to do with Vince being successful. Tamar went from accepting abuse and cheating to only accepting a man who was not cheating (unlike Gabe, Traci's husband, and Toni's ex), supports her dreams (unlike Traci's husband), and contributes to the family both financially and as a present father (unlike Andre). That doesn't mean that Tamar's a saint or that her marriage is perfect, but she made a change in what she will accept from a man and she wants her sisters to do the same.

I was speaking about Tamar's history as a solo recording artist. Prior to releasing "Love & War", Tamar had released only one album. Five record deals, 2 albums recorded and 1 release and dismal album sales. I personally consider that to be new to recording and releasing albums as a solo artist. They all have experience recording as a group and as background vocalist.  5 record deals, 2 albums, 1 release and dismal sales. She definitely is probably an expert on what not to do. 

After Tamar's comment Traci said what she had to say and she moved on. She was annoyed. She shut Tamar down and she moved on. She had no interest in fighting with Tamar. Tamar continued the exchange and she dragged Toni into it. As I stated before; Traci was very defensive but the way that they (Tamar and Traci) communicate with each other inspires a certain level of defensiveness in them both. 

50% of all married men cheat and over 30% of all married women cheat. Marital infidelity is quite common in this country. Since over half of all married men cheat. It is more common to have a husband who cheats than one who does not. It is also more common, than most people would think, to have a wife who cheats. Those numbers only account for physical infidelity. They don't account for the numbers of people who have strictly emotional affairs. Having said all of that. I don't believe that the sisters are "trapped in a vicious cycle" of anything. I think that the sisters marriages are more so the norm than perhaps most people are willing to admit. Traci and Trina decided that infidelity was not a deal breaker for them. For many people it's not. Towanda stated that she is comfortable with having a stay at home husband. In this economy, many households now live on one income. Does the gender of the spouse who stays at home matter? I think that the notion that it is only acceptable for women to stay at home is both sexist and outdated. Traci, Towanda and Trina's relationships make sense to them and that's really all that matters. Does the bickering in Tamar's relationship make sense to outsiders? Which is worse, infidelity, unemployment or constant bickering. Most people would not consider any of those to necessarily be the hallmarks of a healthy relationship. Constant bickering about small things usually is an indication of conflict over deeper issues. As I mentioned before, I believe that Tamar, like most people, wants what she perceives to be the best for her family. Some of her commentary comes from a place of love and some of it does not. Regardless of where it comes from, berating her sisters because of their relationship choices is never going to be received very well. As I stated before their relationships only need to make sense to them. 

I would certainly be curious to see what would happen if Vince went bankrupt. Based upon her commentary, he would no longer be a suitable mate. Like her sisters she now has a child to think about. 

Edited by cafe au lait
  • Love 1

I give Tamar all the country in the world, but she really acted up at the "housewarming" for no reason.  It was funny catching a glimpse of Roxxxy Andrews out of drag though.

Also, can I say holy hypocrite Batman to Towanda?!  She traipsed her ass with her useless husband and 2 kids up in Trina's house for month(S), and is acting very bitchy about Gabe being at the rental house for two weeks.

I don't know why Traci and Towanda are acting all fake busy, claiming their putting their lives on hold. They're too stupid to realize waiting for all 5 of them to get together to write songs is the dumbest idea ever. But since that's what their doing, who CARES that Gabe is there?! He's not stopping Trina from doing anything because THEY ARENT DOING ANYTHING.

• Love 7

Traci with her clown hair and clownish dressing, really needs to stop with the gagging about Gabe. I don't like PDA but I get weird vibes from Towanda's and Traci's criticism of Gabe. And Gabe still can't act natural in front of the camera. 

Evelyn said Trini might have gotten her accent from intermingling with other people. However I also remember Traci saying last year that her grandma was White. Was it Miss E's mama or Daddy Spread it Wide preacher man? Although in the day and age, the White parent might have been estranged from their own family.

What I don't understand is that Trina, Traci, and Towanda knew that Tamar and Toni were going to be busy doing other things and they would have to split their time with them.  So why aren't the three of them sitting around the piano and coming up with songs.  Just because they are all doing the album doesn't mean that all five need to write every song.

Lol, I'm not sure why they have an issue with Gabe there.  All their doing is sitting around that house waiting for Toni and Tamar to squeeze them in.

Another thing about Gabe is that the rest of their husbands are just as trifling as Gabe ever was, and Trina certainly gave as good as she got.  So in the husband department Gabe isn't too far behind Vince.  He has his issues but certainly isn't worse than any of the other husbands.  You would think the women would attempt to be nice to him just because they would want their husbands treated better by the rest of their sisters.

• Love 1

Traci and Towanda annoy me. How hard would it have been for them to help Trina with that party? As lame as the party was, they could have pitched in.

Gabe does have a creepy smirk. It's like he doesn't know what to do with his face while on camera.

I think all the sisters have/had crappy husbands. That's why I think it's funny when one of them try to down another sister's husband. Forget therapy for their sister relationships. They need individual therapy to figure out why ALL of them choose "ain't shit" men.

I was "meh" on Tamar choosing dancers and looking at tour wardrobe. It bored me. I agree she was acting an ass at the party. Just go home if you aren't enjoying it.

This show has really made me dislike Toni. I liked her singing but was never a super fan. There's an underlying smugness and entitlement about her that irritates me. She says a lot of shady stuff to her sisters and never gets called on it. They just laugh it off like it's ok but will fight each other tooth and nail over shade.

Edited by RedKoolAide
  • Love 2

Was impressed with Trina, Towanda, and Traci's spontaneous gospel singing over breakfast. Apparently, they don't truly need Toni and Tamar other than for marketing purposes which, unfortunately for them, is vital. Tamar & Toni clearly don't want to slum it and used the single idea as their out.

Towanda and Traci wouldn't be opposed to Gabe and Trina's happiness if they weren't loveless harpies.

I'm glad Gabe and Trina are in a great place now. Gabe also has never looked better. Mama E as well.

Cockroach Omarosa couldn't pass up a desperate bid for relevancy and appear. Ugh.

Edited by anonymiss

I think Tamar could have dealt with them long enough to do the album but literally NONE of the sisters are making the group a priority.

If nobody is going to sit and try to come up with anything without the 4 other sisters there, I don't see any reason for Tamar and Toni to waste their time.

An album has at least 8 songs. The middle sisters while they were holed up in their house "Leaving their family behind" should have tried to write at least 3.  

Ohhhh! and have y'all seen Traci perform her single, coupled with a lapdance for her husband? Girl!

• Love 3

Was impressed with Trina, Towanda, and Traci's spontaneous gospel singing over breakfast. Apparently, they don't truly need Toni and Tamar other than for marketing purposes which, unfortunately for them, is vital. Tamar & Toni clearly don't want to slum it and used the single idea as their out.

I agree that Toni doesn't want to do the album - she never really did - but I don't think Tamar looks at singing with her sisters as slumming it. I think Tamar is not looking forward to dealing with her middle sisters' lack of work ethic and lack of respect for Tamar's ideas (while they worship everything that comes out of Toni's mouth). 

The middle sisters do know how to sing, but none of them can "sang" and none of them have a unique vocal tone that is necessary to be a front person. There's a difference between being able to hold a tune and harmonize (skills necessary to be a background singer) and having a unique an interesting singing voice coupled with a star presence. Take the Supremes for instance. Diana Ross was by no means the best singer in the original group, but she had the most unique voice to be the front woman and she had star quality (that "it" factor). Among the Braxtons, only Toni and Tamar have a unique tone and have that "it" factor. This is going to sound horrible, but the middle sisters just don't have voices that are special enough or have personalities that are "shiny" enough to be frontwomen on their own accord.    

• Love 5

Looking at that house, I don't think that the sisters paid for it with their own money. It must be something that the show paid for. It is in Malibu, looks super rich, and came furnished. I just don't think Towanda and Tracy have that kind of money, even with the personal event appearances that they do. And side eye to the fact that they went to buy furniture. I honestly think that the show is footing the bill for the entire thing. Without Tamar and Toni on this team, the other middle three sisters are very boring to watch alone. And the HomeGoods commercial plug was ridiculous. Did you see the advert for HomeGoods mid-show? Another comped expense for the "Sisters House." Smart business move by the show, but tedious to watch.

I have to say that Tamar has grown on me. I did not like her at all in season one but she has mellowed and matured a lot, especially when Logan was born. I would absolutely go see her on tour if she came to my city and I enjoy her very much on the daytime show that she hosts called the Real. On that show, you can tell that the the hosts all really like each other and enjoy spending time together. This is a possible relationship that the Braxton's could have if they learn to grow up and treat each other like adults. If you have watched a couple of episodes of that daytime show, you can see that it is possible for Tamar to be respectful and still have her attitude and her Snark. I feel like sometimes why she is so overdramatic with her sisters is because she does have genuine hurt and pain for the way that they treat her, exclude her, and always blame everything on her. She just expresses her hurt in those tantrums, which then exacerbates the problem.

I understand all the issues that they are having with the gospel album. It seems like the three middle sisters are the ones most desperate for it to happen because they need it to jumpstart their own personal music careers. However, Toni and Tamar are really busy with their own current music careers and to them it's more like afterthought, or they are just doing it because they feel pressured to buy the other sisters.

I do feel it was disrespectful for Gabe to show up at the house unannounced without even a previous conversation with Tracy and Wanda. It would've been nice if they were given a heads up that Gabe was going to be there for several weeks.

I find it very hard to believe that Toni is so laissez faire about this Braxton album. Does she not want it to succeed? First she demands it be with Motown, then she does not want to effectively participate in the brainstorming session. She is not like that with her own career, and it seems like she just wants to be chill about everything and she does not even want to address the very valid questions about the target demographic, the type of music, and who to use as the producers for the album. The three middle sisters have little to no experience, but this is going to be a constant tug-of-war between Toni and Tamar. I do believe that Tamar has very valid questions, and even though she is not as successful as Toni, she has put out five albums (3 solo, 1 EP, 1 joint Braxton's album), enough to learn from those experiences. You have to map out a plan before you start a project. If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. You need to know where you're going before you even start to drive. Tony's way is just "let's be creative and see what comes up." That does not make sense at all. No wonder she is not at the helm of a thriving business empire like the other divas of her heyday.

I am disliking Towanda more and more. Towanda complains and whines about everything. Can't believe she is complaining about the fact that Tamar just walked into the house without ringing the doorbell. And the fact that Evelyn brought a piano. Then they go grocery shopping and she complains about every single thing that Trina and Tracy put into the cart. These are grown women. You don't have to mother them. If you want to eat healthy, buy healthy food. And let them buy what ever they want. Towanda really is a miserable, sourpuss, bitter, person. It's obvious that she is not happy in her own life and so she just spills negativity towards everyone and everything.

I found it very irritating to see Towanda once again attack Tamar alone for something that Tamar AND Toni are were joking about. When T&T went into their fridge and started pointing out all the fattening and unhealthy food, Towanda remarked in her talking head that Tamar's house is just as full of junk food. However, after scene at the acupuncturist where you can see Tamar's flat tummy, it's obvious that Tamar is doing her best to get back in shape for her tour. Probably all those snacks are there for Mr. Herbert, since it looks to me like he is put on quite a few pounds since last year's show.

Finally they start getting creative and writing the album. Took all season and it seems like it will take the rest of the season just to get one song done. However, this episode was a better episode than the preceding 6. Wish I would have just skipped all the other episodes and watched this one. Then I wouldn't be so irritated with the Braxton's. Do you think they will actually get this album off the ground?

Edited by Spiderella2
  • Love 2

I agree that Toni doesn't want to do the album - she never really did - but I don't think Tamar looks at singing with her sisters as slumming it. I think Tamar is not looking forward to dealing with her middle sisters' lack of work ethic and lack of respect for Tamar's ideas (while they worship everything that comes out of Toni's mouth). 

The middle sisters do know how to sing, but none of them can "sang" and none of them have a unique vocal tone that is necessary to be a front person. There's a difference between being able to hold a tune and harmonize (skills necessary to be a background singer) and having a unique an interesting singing voice coupled with a star presence. Take the Supremes for instance. Diana Ross was by no means the best singer in the original group, but she had the most unique voice to be the front woman and she had star quality (that "it" factor).

I realize that Tamar believes that she has a superior work ethic and she frequently advertises that notion. However, I've seen no evidence of that. She's great at selling herself though. What I have seen is that she definitely has the hardest working mouth. Which so often disrupts her interactions with her sisters; turning them into complete waste of everyone's time. She and her often advertised work ethic are no asset to any group project with her sisters; because she cannot get along with them long enough to do any work. She wants so badly to be a leader but she has 0 leadership skills. 

Diana Ross was by no means the best singer in the original group, but she had the most unique voice to be the front woman and she had star quality (that "it" factor).

Diana Ross also had the Fucking Her Boss Factor. Tamar also has that.

Among the Braxtons, only Toni and Tamar have a unique tone and have that "it" factor. This is going to sound horrible, but the middle sisters just don't have voices that are special enough or have personalities that are "shiny" enough to be frontwomen on their own accord.

There are so many different factors that figure into becoming a superstar; including merely being in the right place at the right time. Certainly this day and age vocal talent is probably the least important factor. Toni was in the right place at the right time, she was young, she was beautiful and she had a great deal of talent. All the stars lined up and she was launched into super stardom. Her sisters have kind of missed the boat. Age 40 + or approaching 40 is little to become a pop superstar. None of them will be able to match her career.

Towanda complains and whines about everything. These are grown women. You don't have to mother them.

They all whine and complain about each other; which I imagine is typical of siblings. As I mentioned about Tamar; Towanda wants what she perceives to be the best for her sisters. Towanda expresses that by "mothering"  them, so does Toni. 

Towanda really is a miserable, sourpuss, bitter, person. It's obvious that she is not happy in her own life and so she just spills negativity towards everyone and everything.

No one oozes more negativity than Tamar. However, Tamar is not a villain and neither is Towanda.

I do believe that Tamar has very valid questions, and even though she is not as successful as Toni, she has put out five albums and learn from those experiences.

Tamar has released 3 albums.

I find it very hard to believe that Toni is so laissez faire about this Braxton album. Does she not want it to succeed?

Toni's not going to get anything out of doing this gospel album. It's not likely to be a big seller and any profits will have to be split five ways. It also will do nothing to advance Toni's career in secular music. Other than aggravation, there's nothing in this for Toni. Other than presenting the show with a season long story line; none of them stand to benefit very much from the project. 

I did not like her at all in season one but she has mellowed and matured a lot, especially when Logan was born.

Hopefully the reality show experience is having a positive effect on all of them. People don't change or mature over night though. Real change takes time. 

Gabe also has never looked better. Mama E as well.

No comment on Gabe. Evelyn however does look great. She is strikingly beautiful. Toni is the only child who got more Evelyn genes than Michael Sr. genes. Those other Braxtons look just like Michael Sr., just like him. 

Edited by cafe au lait

I do believe that Tamar has very valid questions, and even though she is not as successful as Toni, she has put out five albums and learn from those experiences. You have to map out a plan before you start a project. If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. You need to know where you're going before you even start to drive. Tony's way is just "let's be creative and see what comes up." That does not make sense at all. No wonder she is not at the helm of a thriving business empire like the other divas of her heyday.

Damn, too true! Toni was one of the mega pop divas of the 90s. Every major label had their one diva that they put all of their money and time behind. Arista had Whitney, Sony had Mariah, Epic had Celine, Virgin had Janet, Interscope had Madonna, and LaFace had Toni. 90s girl groups didn't fare well financially under any of these labels, but all of the solo diva acts did very well with the coins and still have their fortunes today. Well, all except Toni.

Toni's just not business-savvy at all. I get that her first contract with LaFace was shit - new artist contracts always are - but that doesn't explain why she never made that coin after her first album went crazy platinum. Every one of her 8 studio albums (except her Xmas album) has hit top 10 - most hit 1 or 2. I get that she has health problems, but she knew her health was an issue and a business-savvy woman would have had tour insurance in her contracts and not went bankrupt. I understand that she had a horrible first contract that prevented her from making money off of her 1st album, but a business-savvy woman would have re-negotiated her contract (like everyone else does when their freshman album hits!) and made money off of the sophomore album. She's just not good at this. I don't see why the sisters are so eager to take Toni's advice on what to do with the Braxton's album. I'm the first to say that people can learn from failure, but Toni has been making the same damn mistake since the 90s - not having a proper lawyer/manager/accountant team to take care of her contracts.

• Love 3

Towanda, Traci, and Trina going shopping was just product placement for the Homegoods store. They weren't serious about that shopping trip. They had to do that for the show.

Pretty much. They were very transparent about that. As an aside, I thought it was real funny that Trina mentioned a housewarming party an episode or so back. A housewarming party for a rented property that you're only going to be in for filming? Oh, okay. That makes perfect sense.

I feel some kind of way about Towanda, in particular, getting mad about Gabe coming to see his wife when Towanda, Andre, and their two children lived with Trina and Gabe rent-free, eating up all of their food, and didn't contribute a single penny to the living expenses. SMH.

Edited by trimthatfat
  • Love 4

No comment on Gabe. Evelyn however does look great. She is strikingly beautiful. Toni is the only child who got more Evelyn genes than Michael Sr. genes. Those other Braxtons look just like Michael Sr., just like him.

I actually think Towanda got more Evelyn genes than the rest of them.  The other 5 look like variations of Michael Sr.  Towanda looks like Evelyn.

• Love 1

Damn, too true! Toni was one of the mega pop divas of the 90s. Every major label had their one diva that they put all of their money and time behind. Arista had Whitney, Sony had Mariah, Epic had Celine, Virgin had Janet, Interscope had Madonna, and LaFace had Toni. 90s girl groups didn't fare well financially under any of these labels, but all of the solo diva acts did very well with the coins and still have their fortunes today. Well, all except Toni.

Toni's just not business-savvy at all. I get that her first contract with LaFace was shit - new artist contracts always are - but that doesn't explain why she never made that coin after her first album went crazy platinum. Every one of her 8 studio albums (except her Xmas album) has hit top 10 - most hit 1 or 2. I get that she has health problems, but she knew her health was an issue and a business-savvy woman would have had tour insurance in her contracts and not went bankrupt. I understand that she had a horrible first contract that prevented her from making money off of her 1st album, but a business-savvy woman would have re-negotiated her contract (like everyone else does when their freshman album hits!) and made money off of the sophomore album. She's just not good at this. I don't see why the sisters are so eager to take Toni's advice on what to do with the Braxton's album. I'm the first to say that people can learn from failure, but Toni has been making the same damn mistake since the 90s - not having a proper lawyer/manager/accountant team to take care of her contracts.

Madonna, Mariah, Janet and Celine are some of the best selling female artist of all time. Janet signed not 1 but 2 record breaking recording contracts and her career wasn't as big as Mariah and Madonna. Those 4 artist are on a completely different level than Toni. How Whitney's career stacks up next to those 4? I'm not sure so I don't know if its fair to compare her and Toni or not. Certainly we know Whitney was not a tremendously wealthy woman when she died. 

Toni did try to renegotiate her contact.

After several weeks of trying to renegotiate singer Toni Braxton’s recording contract, attorneys for the LaFace/Arista Records artist have filed a lawsuit against the label seeking to have the court declare Braxton’s pact no longer valid. The move follows Braxton’s rift with managers Arnold Stiefel and Randy Phillips, who had advised against such a filing, which resulted in the singer switching managers and attorneys.   In the lawsuit, filed Friday in L.A. Superior Court, Braxton’s lawyers said the singer has sold more than 15 million copies of two albums and earned Arista “an estimated $170 million.”   As a result, her lawyers contend that Braxton is entitled to a superstar deal with a royalty rate and advances much higher than those articulated in her current label pact.                                                                    

Regardless of the contract though most artist make their real money off of touring. 

Toni was insured by Lords of London for her Vegas show:

LOS ANGELES (CN) – Toni Braxton says she paid Lloyd’s of London nearly $70,000 for event cancellation insurance that the insurer never intended to honor. Braxton says Lloyd’s refused to indemnify her after she canceled a show at the Flamingo Hotel in Las Vegas because she was hospitalized with chest pain.

According to her Superior Court complaint, Lloyd’s claimed it did not have to cover an “unrelated” medical problem that it knew nothing about. But Braxton says she listed her condition – microvascular angina – on her insurance application and has spoken publicly about the condition “for many years.”

Braxton says Lloyd’s promised to insure her for up to $2.8 million. Braxton wants $1.2 million. She says she paid nearly $70,000 for the insurance policy. She is represented by Peter Haviland of Kaye Scholer.

The following two tabs change content below.

Lloyd’s of London is firing back at Toni Braxton, who sued the insurance company for not paying her for a 2006 show canceled due to heart problems.

According to tmz.com, Lloyd’s of London is counter-suing the singer, claiming that the reason they dropped Braxton from her insurance policy was because she failed to disclose her full medical history, stating that she kept her “pericarditis condition” (a heart ailment) out of her initial application.

Toni Braxton is making a comeback

Lloyd’s not only refuses to pay for the cancelled show, but is asking for damages from Braxton.

Toni also sued her former manger Barry Hankerson in 2007 and ended up settling: 

By LARRY NEUMEISTER

The Associated Press

Friday, January 12, 2007; 7:33 PM

NEW YORK -- Toni Braxton sued her former personal manager Friday, saying he owes her at least $10 million for maneuvering to have her abandon a long, lucrative relationship with her record company and jump to his own record label.

Toni Braxton has settled her multimillion-dollar lawsuit against her former personal manager, representatives of both parties said. Under the settlement, the 39-year-old R&B singer is free to pursue new projects following her return of a $375,000 advance to manager Barry Hankerson, according to Braxton representative Michael Sitrick.

Hankerson had previously demanded an additional $1 million to provide the singer with only a partial release from her contract, Sitrick said. A Hankerson attorney, Samuel Chilakos, disputed that description of the settlement, saying he was unaware of a demand for additional funds and that the agreement limits the companies with which Braxton can work. Braxton would be responsible for paying royalties from her next album to Hankerson, both parties said.

Braxton's lawsuit claimed that Hankerson owed her at least $10 million for dirty dealing that caused her to abandon a long relationship with Arista Records for Blackground Records, the manager's record label. The lawsuit accused the manager of putting his financial interests ahead of Braxton's and inducing the singer to leave a lucrative deal with Arista through fraud, deception and double-dealing. Hankerson yesterday (Feb. 13) disputed those allegations. "She was dropped from Arista because of record sales," he said, adding that Braxton did not want to move to Blackground Records but "there was nowhere else for her to go."

Edited by cafe au lait

I do feel it was disrespectful for Gabe to show up at the house unannounced without even a previous conversation with Tracy and Wanda. It would've been nice if they were given a heads up that Gabe was going to be there for several weeks.

Gabe was not disrespectful. It was not his responsibility to let the sisters know of his visit and the length of his stay. That was Trini's responsibility.

• Love 4

Gabe was not disrespectful. It was not his responsibility to let the sisters know of his visit and the length of his stay. That was Trini's responsibility.

I hear both sides. It was disrespectful of Trina to not notify her sisters of Gabe's visit, but it was disrespectful of Gabe to overstay his welcome. Why would he think it's okay to stay in this sister space for 2 weeks? That's a bit much. It's not even about whether or not the sisters were actually working. It's a comfort thing for me. I can't really relax and feel at home with my brother-in-law smirking around the house in his boxers.

Now, Towanda can't fix her lips to say anything about it given that she lived with Gabe for monthssss, but Gabe's overextended stay is definitely disrespectful to Traci. Also, they're in this house not just to record an album, but also to enjoy their sister time and Gabe's extended presence interferes with that. Having husbands around changes the dynamic between sisters. This is not a Braxton thing, but just in general, when men enter women's space, the women relate to one another differently and can't really have true women talk. A 2-day visit is fine, but 2 weeks is an invasion.   

• Love 1

I thought it was for years.  And you just know, no matter how long it was, that neither Towanda nor her "I'm a writer" husband contributed a dime for anything.

I hope he sat in her face eating potato chips every fucking day.

That would have brought this show to a whole nother level!

Except for Toni, I just can't with these women's wigs. Tamar with all her husband money should have the best of the best wigs, but hers are the worst. I can not stand that cheap piss yellowish reddish color she and Mama E insist on wearing.  They need wig interventions! 

So Towanda, Trina and Traci are gonna hop up on stage during Tamar's show and they think that's a good idea?  Actually, Trina had enough presence of mind to say, "Tamar is going to be upset by this.  I'm not sure we should do it."  She should not have gone along with that plan.  That is not a surprise for Tamar.  This is taking some of her shine when she's doing her first headlining tour.  She is the star.  She's already nervous enough and she's a perfectionist.  Tamar asked that her sisters be there to support her.  She wanted to know they were in the audience sending her love and encouragement.  She did not ask them to come up on stage alongside her.  Towanda once again made something about her that isn't.  I'm horrified that they're going to do that and I hope that Tamar gives them a sound cussing out.  I hope she reads each and every one of them for filth. 

And if that preview shows Toni trying to say that Tamar shouldn't have been upset by them snagging the spotlight, then Toni needs to shut right the hell up.

• Love 5

Sickening seeing triflin' Towanda sucking up to Tamar when she hopes to get some money/fame out of it, e.g., Tamar's Grammy afterparty, Tamar's Good Morning America baby announcement, Tamar over lunch furthering the talk about collaborating on a single, and most egregiously, hijacking Tamar's spotlight under the guise of doing it for her sake. Because we all know how Towanda is so concerned about Tamar's feelings!

Edited by anonymiss
  • Love 2

I'm so annoyed with Trina. She KNEW! She knew it was a horrible idea, specifically knew that it would throw her off and she let TOWANDA of all people convince her otherwise. Towanda, the one who will say directly opposite of what Tamar says just on principal???

Trina knows better and in her quest to be get along Sally she agrees with terrible ideas.

I think the moment would have been somewhat cute, had Hot Sugar been like an encore song and toni had been a part of it. As is, it just looks like a way to steal the spotlight. Like, the first time they all come out on the road they come up on stage in some half ass background dancer performance? Nope nopers naw!  

• Love 3

I don't know and I really don't care if the conversation the sisters had with the trainer was producer plot or real, but I never want to see him on this show again.

Mama Evelyn and Traci always look uncomfortable in their clothes.

Yawn to everything else.

• Love 1

Sickening seeing triflin' Towanda sucking up to Tamar when she hopes to get some money/fame out of it, e.g., Tamar's Grammy afterparty, Tamar's Good Morning America baby announcement, Tamar over lunch furthering the talk about collaborating on a single, and most egregiously, hijacking Tamar's spotlight under the guise of doing it for her sake. Because we all know how Towanda is so concerned about Tamar's feelings!

Honestly, I hope wanting to get some shine and a coin is all Towanda is seeking by doing this. Unfortunately, I suspect something more nefarious is at foot. Towanda seems very jealous of Tamar and I believe that she is trying to undermine her sister's success. She knows that the one thing Tamar prides herself on is the quality of her performances and how perfectly coordinated and rehearsed everything is. Jumping on stage would not just be Towanda getting some attention, she would be ruining Tamar's performance. I swear, the happiest I've ever seen Towanda is when Tamar lost the Grammy. She wouldn't even congratulate Tamar on Love and War going #1. And then there's the whole spin-off issue - instead of being happy for Tamar expanding her moment in the sun, Towanda pitched a fit and recruited Trina and Traci to help ostracize Tamar for some bullshit about not liking how secretive Tamar was in developing her spin-off. In this jump on stage plot, it seems to me that Towanda is moving from being jealous of Tamar to actively attempting to ruin Tamar's success. Towanda would never - ever - plot to do that to Toni's show.   

• Love 4

As the only one of the three sisters to have had their own show, Trina's perception that going on stage would mess up Tamar's timing should have been listened to. It's bad enough to do that, but then to change the choreography on top of that! I don't understand what Traci's motivation is, but it is clear that Towonda is seeking to upstage and embarrass Tamar in an effort to make herself relevant. Trina knows Towonda bullies her, but she can't get out of the family dynamic.

To me, Towonda is very much like Mama Evelyn, she makes everything be about her and then pouts when what she wants doesn't come to pass.

That little scene with Gabe and Vince was telling and perhaps explains Gabe's never-ending look of discomfort. Knowing how the sisters feel about him, I think he is always on guard for the latest anti-Gabe rant. Case-in-point Towonda's rant about Trina rushing back to see Gabe when she just saw him. That has all the shades of the anti-Vince rants from last season. Instead of questioning the time her sisters spend with their husbands, Towonda needs to check the real source of her misery, that fact the she has no desire to spend time with her own husband. Tearing down your sisters's happiness will not ease your own misery.

Edited by Happytobehere
  • Love 5

To me, Towonda is very much like Mama Evelyn, she makes everything be about her and then pouts when what she wants doesn't come to pass.

So full of truth! I've witnessed this about Evelyn, but she's never done anything egregious enough for me to have cause to call her out on it. She's real slick with it.

I swear that Evelyn is living through her daughters and wants to be included like one of the sisters, but wants unquestioned authority like she thinks a mother deserves. Honestly, I find her wrong on both fronts. She's not one of the sisters, so she shouldn't be there for sister discussions/arguments, she shouldn't be asking to be included in the album, and she shouldn't manipulate the girls into doing an album/single by pouting and giving the silent treatment.

On the other hand, Evelyn takes her authority as mother far too serious now that her girls are grown adults. Evelyn continues to expect that "seen but not heard" definition of respect for elders that children are taught, despite the fact that these are now grown women. As the sisters are no longer children, they are not being disrespectful everytime they have something to say. They have the right to walk out of an uncomfortable situation without being threatened to have the piss slapped out of them.

Evelyn just doesn't know how to relate to her daughters as adults - she wants to be both sister/friend and authoritative/unquestioned mother and neither of those roles are appropriate. Funny thing, I find that her relationship with Michael Jr. (well, what we've seen of it) is an appropriate and healthy mother and adult son relationship. She seems to respect the fact that he is a grown man, but remains his mother instead of trying to be BFFs with him. Why can't she do that with her daughters?

• Love 6

The real reason I know this "let's make up our own background dance moves and suprise Tamar at one of the early stops on her first solo tour" is some BS, is because they would never ever think to do this to Toni. They would not question making unannounced changes to Miss Toni Braxton's show, as they know what kind of perfectionist she is. And frankly, Traci never wants to learn the steps anyway, so I'm not sure why they thought it was a good idea. If only Trina had a backbone and said she wouldn't do it. 

I really hope that teaser from Toni saying Tamar was wrong for her reaction is a fake or talking about something else. Because she knows she would  beyond ticked off if they did that to her. 

• Love 5

Everyone in that situation was wrong, but it was a perfect setup by Towanda. Tamar is too hotheaded to realize it was a setup, though:

The sisters shouldn't have popped up on stage. It doesn't matter if you did it to Toni. Tamar is not Toni. They knew Tamar wouldn't like them popping up & IMO Towanda knew Tamar would blow her stack. Trina certainly knew.

It doesn't matter if Tamar brought the sisters on stage at previous shows. That was TAMAR's choice to bring them. They took the choice away from her by popping up unannounced.

Tamar was wrong for cussing them and calling them fat bitches. Now notice, Trina,who thought popping up was a bad idea, changed her tune when Tamar cussed her.

I don't think Tamar was wrong for having them thrown out. Nobody would like it if somebody came running up on your job playing.

Toni was wrong for acting there was nothing wrong with what the sisters did because she (Toni) shares her shine with the sisters. Toni & Tamar are 2 different people. What Toni likes, Tamar May not like.

Dr. Sherry is wrong for framing the situation as Tamar not wanting/not ready to share. It wasn't about sharing, it was about people playing on your job. She was right in asking the sisters what their role in the fiasco was. Note: Towanda didn't want to admit it was a bad idea. No, because things fell in place the way Towanda intended.

Tamar was wrong for saying Toni didn't pave the way for her. If not for Toni, Tamar would be working some office job back in Maryland somewhere.

The end result (what Towanda wants) is the sisters won't support Tamar on any other endeavor, and when Atamar complains, it will be justified by this incident.

• Love 8

Drivethroo, you said everything I was coming on here to write.  This was a perfectly executed plot by Towanda.  You just know that as soon as they left the show and the cameras were off that Towanda was in Trina and Traci's ears saying, "see, even when we support her, she treats us like shit." It was interesting that Towanda was the only one who didn't notice Tamar's reaction, because she was loving being in the spotlight.  She's a real piece of work.

Toni was wrong for acting there was nothing wrong with what the sisters did because she (Toni) shares her shine with the sisters. Toni & Tamar are 2 different people. What Toni likes, Tamar May not like.

This!  And every time we've seen the sisters on stage with Toni, Toni has invited them from backstage or at the very least, we've seen them all discuss, together, that they would join her.  If they have surprised, I bet anything it wasn't an opening show.  This was Tamar's first show of her tour and she expressed she was very nervous.  It was really selfish on Towanda's part, and unfortunately both Traci and Trina are easily lead sheep.

I definitely believe Tamar was cussing.  I don't know whether she was cussing at her sisters, she totally could have been, or if that's just what they were told by some petty person who wanted to be all up in it.  I don't think she meant to kick them out though.

Oh yeah, and Toni shut up real quick when Tamar pulled out the messages as proof that she did contact her sisters. 

• Love 4

Towanda is a jealous bitch who couldn't wait to pull that "stunt" on Tamar. Tamar had every right to be pissed. The "teletubbies" weren't asked, nor were they wanted, needed or appreciated in TAMAR's show! Trina knew it was wrong...and should learn to stand up to Towanda's manipulative ways.

And while Tamar can be a bit over the top with her reactions, I believe that Towanda is the mastermind of evil in 99% of all sister disagreements. This one was no exception. Get a friggin' life Towanda, and leave your little sister alone!

• Love 8

Towanda was grinning the whole time they were discussing back in the dressing room afterward.  Grinning and giggling.  It went exactly as she wanted it to go and she was quite pleased with herself.  And then that "innocent" TH - all batting lashes and wide eyes: "I didn't know it was gonna be a problem!  It shouldn't have been!"  Yeah, you did.  You knew it was gonna be a problem.  And that's why you did it - so you could have a "justified" reason to be mad at Tamar.  "We tried to do something nice for her and look how she did us!"  It wasn't cool at all.

• Love 7

Trina, Traci and Towanda showed themselves to be spoiled brats.  For Trina to be all "Toni always shared her stage with us" as if that justifies what they did was ridiculous.  Tamar is not obligated to do what Toni did.  Toni did absolutely pave the way for them (yes, she did, Tamar) but that does not mean that Tamar has to follow suit.  If Tamar owes anybody anything, she would owe it to Toni and Toni isn't asking.  Not to mention that Toni has expressed that it has stressed her out over the years to have to carry her sisters on  her back.  Why would they want to visit that same stress on Tamar?  She doesn't owe them anything and the sisters have made it clear that they're the kind of folks who take a mile if you give them an inch.

Edited by SistaLadybug
  • Love 4

That was a hot buttered mess. And I'm sad that absolutely no one had Tamar's back on that. She told them she didn't even want to be able to see them as it would make her even more nervous...and that wasn't enough for them to re-think this. Mama Braxton was so excited that all the girls are together that she doesn't care that it upset Tamar on a big night when her nerves were high, just like she didn't care that all her "stick together girls" put a load of resentment on Toni for decades.  And Toni? She knows what kind of pressure and resentment she had about always having to share with her sisters, and she tries to do the same to Tamar? In all fairness, Tamar's response was a bit over the top.com, but once you've disrespected someone you don't get to control how they respond to it. 

I hope Tamar doesn't come back for another season of this. Just do your own show, make your music and be done with these women for awhile. Let them share the stage with Toni and mess up her shows.

• Love 7