Type keyword(s) to search

Chernobyl: The Lost Tapes

• Start Topic

Thirty-six years after the Chernobyl nuclear reactor exploded in Soviet Ukraine, newly uncovered archival footage and recorded interviews with those who were present paint an emotional and gripping portrait of the extent and gravity of the disaster and the lengths to which the Soviet government went to cover up the incident, including the soldiers sent in to "liquidate" the damage. CHERNOBYL: THE LOST TAPES is the full, unvarnished true story of what happened in one of the least understood tragedies of the twentieth century.

HBO Documentary Films presents CHERNOBYL: THE LOST TAPES, directed by Emmy(R)-winning filmmaker James Jones (Mosul), debuting WEDNESDAY, JUNE 22 (9:00 p.m. ET/PT) on HBO and will be available to stream on HBO Max.

Watched some of this yesterday.  We were eating dinner and the radiation burn segment started....

It was clear that the people who made the dramatic series about Chernobyl had seen some of this.  The men scraping the graphite over the edge of the reactor was very similar to what they put together.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Very sad and tragic. Amazing how much the people were lied to and the truth was not told. The situation was handled very poorly because they didn't want mass panic but the folks should have been told to stay inside and keep windows and doors closed. The poor firefighters never had a chance. The miners also were given a pittance for basically sacrificing their lives. Then all the birth defects and sicknesses due to the accident that the govt. said was all in their heads and not due to the fallout. If I lived there and managed to survive, no way in hell would I ever go back there. Even the ground, trees, water, all of that is still most likely contaminated. My understanding is that urban explorers go there sometimes-I hope they understand the dangers that are still there.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, Maisiesmom said:

Very sad and tragic. Amazing how much the people were lied to and the truth was not told. The situation was handled very poorly because they didn't want mass panic but the folks should have been told to stay inside and keep windows and doors closed. The poor firefighters never had a chance. The miners also were given a pittance for basically sacrificing their lives. Then all the birth defects and sicknesses due to the accident that the govt. said was all in their heads and not due to the fallout. If I lived there and managed to survive, no way in hell would I ever go back there. Even the ground, trees, water, all of that is still most likely contaminated. My understanding is that urban explorers go there sometimes-I hope they understand the dangers that are still there.

It’s unbelievably horrific.