Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: Payback

• Start Topic

(edited)

Airdate June 3, 2022

You and a guest are invited to the premiere of DAWN OF THE SEVEN this Tuesday at 7PM in Vought Tower’s Lamplighter Memorial Theater! Screening will be followed by a Q&A with director Adam Bourke and an after-party with Supe DJ Malchemical on the turntables! Join us for the greatest true origin story ever told about America’s number one Superhero team and see how the legend began!

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Love 2
(edited)

Some thoughts:

They were not playing when they said the opening sequence was like nothing we've seen on tv before. OMG.

I love Kimiko. I need to forget the image of her trying to pull a tiny man out of Frenchie's ass though.

Antony is very good at being unhinged. His face when Stan said they wanted Starlight to Co-Captain the Seven. Yikes. Not gonna lie, the hospital scene with Stormfront made me laugh. I may need help.

Perhaps a clue as to how Soldier Boy got this explosive power we saw in the trailer. The public story of how he 'died' is saving the world from a nuclear meltdown.

Hughie gets his first bloodbath of the season, lol. But now he knows about Victoria!

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Like 2
  • Love 11

Things are moving at a pretty brisk pace, which is nice to see! The Butcher and Homelander scene was probably the best part of the episode; two people who despise each other yet are in somewhat similar predicaments, conversing as equals who have way too much in common.

Glad that Hughie's already discovered "Victoria Neuman's" secret. Season 3 is starting out stronger than season 2, IMO.

• Like 7
  • Love 2

Talk about sounding going wrong...

Huey getting jealous is so stupid and cliched.  

Why did Mother's Milk have a wall of newspaper articles about Payback when Maeve just introduced them to Butcher as a potential source of information?  Coincidence?

• Like 3

I could have done without seeing Termite disappear inside that guy's ass. I guess they thought that there was a missed opportunity when he dived into someone's vag in season 1. Still, too much Kripke! I love Frenchie and Kimiko so much and she seems so ready to enjoy life! I'm so sad at seeing what the outcome was with MM's family. He was so in love with his wife and counting the minutes until he could join them again. I get that Monique said that she never wanted to see him again but it still sucks. I'm glad that Hughie found out about Victoria early on; I was worried that they would drag it out until around mid season. It's nice to see that Butcher has a good relationship with Ryan but I wonder if his hatred of Homelander will overshadow his promise to Becca.

• Like 4
  • Love 2
25 minutes ago, mac123x said:

Why did Mother's Milk have a wall of newspaper articles about Payback when Maeve just introduced them to Butcher as a potential source of information?  Coincidence?

It seems that he somehow holds Soldier Boy responsible for his father's death?

• Useful 5
2 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Not gonna lie, the hospital scene with Stormfront made me laugh. I may need help.

Hospital, I think that is Homelander's apartment.

I really liked everything that happened in this episode, except the scenes with Mother's Milk, but I can see why he will probably come back to The Boys.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
32 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

Hospital, I think that is Homelander's apartment.

Like @gonzosgirrl I thought that Vought had her laid up in a fancy-smancy hospital but since Homelander is the only one that cares about her it would make a lot of sense for her to be in his apartment.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I could be totally wrong, but I didn't believe it was Homelander that Butcher was talking to in that one scene.

At first I thought that Homelander had really come to see Butcher, and that he actually sat down at Butcher’s table to talk with him. But then when Butcher looked away for 2 seconds at the end of the scene and Homelander suddenly wasn’t there, I was thinking that the conversation was actually all in Butcher’s imagination. I think maybe Butcher was actually talking to a mirror reflection of himself, admitting to himself that what he wants “more than anything” is to go mano a mano against Homelander in a battle to the death. The fact that Butcher has access to superpowers with the Temp-V now makes it possible, he realizes, for him to fulfill this deepest desire of his.

I also think this is the case because the Homelander in that scene just did not sound like Homelander to me. Homelander would never talk about “sharing a destiny” with someone like Butcher or respectfully say that he “looked forward to” a scorched earth battle to see which one of them would be left standing. Homelander does not believe that anyone, much less a mere ordinary non-supe human, is his equal. He thinks of himself as a god who can squash any mere mortal who challenges him like a bug.  Also, the frustration that Homelander shares, his anger against "Vought and the Bureau", at all the "wheeling and dealing and giving and taking, just to keep everything exactly the same", sounds exactly like the frustration that Butcher is feeling about the past year and that he expresses to Hughie.

(Plus I don’t believe that Homelander would just silently disappear when you are turned away from him, as opposed to making a dramatic exit while you were watching.)

So this scene goes to the heart of Butcher’s motivation for using the Temp-V. He doesn’t just want the destruction of Homelander; he wants to take him down personally in a final apocalyptic battle.

• Like 3
  • Useful 6
  • Love 4

I know three episodes aired at once, but please be aware of what episode topic you’re posting in and do not post about things that happened in later episodes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
19 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Antony is very good at being unhinged. His face when Stan said they wanted Starlight to Co-Captain the Seven.

His face looks naturally like an unhinged person. LOL

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
15 minutes ago, TiredMe said:

Um…..not his ass…

I'm really surprised at how many people thought it was his ass and not his dick hole. I mean the way they shot it, showed you where he jumped into. I guess people got confused because he was trying to go in Frenchie's ass.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
52 minutes ago, TiredMe said:

Um…..not his ass…

34 minutes ago, Racj82 said:

I'm really surprised at how many people thought it was his ass and not his dick hole. I mean the way they shot it, showed you where he jumped into. I guess people got confused because he was trying to go in Frenchie's ass.

Simple mistake and not a farfetched assumption. 🤷‍♀️

Edited by DeeDee79
2 hours ago, Racj82 said:

I mean at first when I was watching the scene I thought that’s where he was heading (no pun intended) but yeah I figured out very fast where he was and spent the rest of the scene watching with my hands half over my eyes wondering how that was going to go very wrong because I knew it would….good god. This show.

• Like 3
  • Love 3

I'm not an anatomy expert, but I also thought that he went into the butt hole since he was told to get to the prostate. Can you "touch" the prostate (behind the balls) through the p*nis?

(*don't know norms concerning using certain words on this site.)

• Useful 2
4 hours ago, MAK said:

I'm not an anatomy expert, but I also thought that he went into the butt hole since he was told to get to the prostate. Can you "touch" the prostate (behind the balls) through the p*nis?

(*don't know norms concerning using certain words on this site.)

The urethra runs through the prostate so the penis is a direct route.  Doctors check the size of the prostate through the anus because that's where their fingers fit and the rectum is close to it.

• Thanks 2
  • Useful 8
  • Love 2

I guess it is a bit arrogant of me to think this, but the final scene with Huey and Victoria would have had a bit more punch if we were made aware of her head exploding abilities then, rather than last season. 

• Mind Blown 2
  • Love 2
On 6/3/2022 at 1:21 AM, Bergamot said:

I could be totally wrong, but I didn't believe it was Homelander that Butcher was talking to in that one scene.

At first I thought that Homelander had really come to see Butcher, and that he actually sat down at Butcher’s table to talk with him. But then when Butcher looked away for 2 seconds at the end of the scene and Homelander suddenly wasn’t there, I was thinking that the conversation was actually all in Butcher’s imagination. I think maybe Butcher was actually talking to a mirror reflection of himself, admitting to himself that what he wants “more than anything” is to go mano a mano against Homelander in a battle to the death. The fact that Butcher has access to superpowers with the Temp-V now makes it possible, he realizes, for him to fulfill this deepest desire of his.

I also think this is the case because the Homelander in that scene just did not sound like Homelander to me. Homelander would never talk about “sharing a destiny” with someone like Butcher or respectfully say that he “looked forward to” a scorched earth battle to see which one of them would be left standing. Homelander does not believe that anyone, much less a mere ordinary non-supe human, is his equal. He thinks of himself as a god who can squash any mere mortal who challenges him like a bug.  Also, the frustration that Homelander shares, his anger against "Vought and the Bureau", at all the "wheeling and dealing and giving and taking, just to keep everything exactly the same", sounds exactly like the frustration that Butcher is feeling about the past year and that he expresses to Hughie.

(Plus I don’t believe that Homelander would just silently disappear when you are turned away from him, as opposed to making a dramatic exit while you were watching.)

So this scene goes to the heart of Butcher’s motivation for using the Temp-V. He doesn’t just want the destruction of Homelander; he wants to take him down personally in a final apocalyptic battle.

This is a great observation.

I think the part I loved best about the S3 premiere is that they brought Aya Cash's Stormfront back.

The closure to her storyline was genius.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I watched several good recaps of Seasons 1 and 2 on YouTube before diving into these new episodes. It's been a long time since Season 2 and I've forgotten a lot of the plot.

As it turns out, I really didn't need that much refreshing. They did a very good job of starting a new story here. I had forgotten how much I enjoy this show.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
On 6/4/2022 at 4:09 AM, MAK said:

I'm not an anatomy expert, but I also thought that he went into the butt hole since he was told to get to the prostate.

This is why I assumed the same thing.

• Love 2
On 6/2/2022 at 10:04 PM, mac123x said:

I assumed someone on that team was responsible for his father's death. 

(edited)

Its like they decided to open this season up with that sequence so that they could really remind the audience what this shows vibe is. I could have certainly lived my whole life without seeing all of that...stuff. 

Nice to have this show back, just as bloody and wild as ever. We are really hitting the ground running, I thought it would take way longer for Hughie to find out about Victoria, maybe that will give him something new to obsess over instead of Starlights ex boyfriend who he's clearly jealous of. 

Say what you will about Vaught, but their PR team does certainly know how to spin. I love how their new movie has now made Stormfront the bad guy, I always enjoy this shows takes on other superhero media, they really nail the vibe of the big MCU and DC films, and not even in the more obvious parody ways. Just the look is so similar and honestly some of it is only a bit of an exaggeration! Its one of the reasons I think the show version of The Boys is better than the comic, the comic is clearly written by someone who really dislikes superheroes so the parody/deconstruction is all just one joke, that superhero's suck, while the show is written by people who I think really do understand the genre and have a more nuanced view, and that actually makes the parody and satire a whole lot sharper, they can comment on superhero's so much better just because they are more familiar with them.

The whole cast is excellent, but Antony Starr's crazy eyes are still the star of the show. He just looks like he is five seconds from totally snapping at all times, especially when he's trying to smile. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Like 2
  • Love 6
On 6/3/2022 at 9:08 PM, Racj82 said:

I thought ass, too, reinforced by the guy telling him to go for the prostate.    That's the avenue used for prostate exams. 

• Useful 3

So, is this shrinking tiny and jumping in someone's ass and blowing them up from the inside a thing from the comics? Like the comics before Avengers Endgame? I don't know the comics, but enjoy the show... but I remember when Endgame was coming out, there were a lot of people joking about the ending should be Antman shrinking small and running up Thanos' butthole and blowing him up from the inside. 

Just wondering which came first.... 

1 hour ago, millennium said:

I thought ass, too, reinforced by the guy telling him to go for the prostate.    That's the avenue used for prostate exams. 

You can reach the prostate both ways.

• Useful 1
(edited)

Of course only Kripke and his writers' room really know the truth, but I would bet folding money that scene was in reaction to all the Ant Man memes between the last two Avengers movies.

Charlize Theron is really jumping into the superhero entertainment thing with both feet with this and the Doctor Strange sequel debuting within a few weeks. She was great though, that really seemed like blockbuster movie footage when most of the powered stuff has more of a TV budget vibe.

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Useful 1
41 minutes ago, millennium said:

I'm aware.  But in terms of access, one seems more conventional.

I don't think that matters in this case. But, I'm moving on.

6 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

Of course only Kripke and his writers' room really know the truth, but I would bet folding money that scene was in reaction to all the Ant Man memes between the last two Avengers movies.

Kripke actually admitted to this in an interview. 

29 minutes ago, CaptainE said:

Just curious, was it actually shown that Victoria was the head exploder person last season?

That scene where the head ofbtge church guy's head exploded showed Victoria outside. Can't 100% remember if her eyes turned white, but for me, the takeaway was that she was the head popper.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, MAK said:

Can't 100% remember if her eyes turned white, but for me, the takeaway was that she was the head popper.

When they showed her outside her eyes were white.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2