Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E15: Salty Seamen

• Start Topic

Chef Marcos attempts to power through another stellar dinner while dealing with some devastating news. The weather conditions intensify forcing the deck crew to attempt to avoid another running-aground scenario. To keep themselves entertained at anchor, the guests challenge the crew to a relay race to determine who’s the most worthy of their inaugural Seaman’s Cup Trophy. With the charter coming to a close, the crew hope their hands-on approach with the guests give them a tip to remember.

Airdate: 06/06/2022

• Useful 1

Like the dishes served in a 10-course dinner, these comments are in order of the scenes broadcast…

Watching Gary lay it on thick with Scarlett was very anxiety-inducing.  I just wanted to reach through the screen and yell “Run, Scarlett, Run!”

So the strong wind dragging the anchor chain really can be a hazard.  Kind of like when fishermen hook a tuna – but in this case, the boat is the tuna, being pulled by the chain.  They handled the situation very professionally, though. 

The competition between the guests and crew looked really fun.  A real highlight of the episode, if not the season.

Daisy’s been messing up more and more lately.  Forgetting to tell Marcos that the Captain was going to join the guests for dinner is a pretty basic faux pas.  With everything else Marcos is having to deal with, now he has to redo his plans.  Daisy also seems overly critical of her staff as well.  It looked to me like Ashley was just having a friendly chat with the guests but Daisy has to put her boot on Ashley’s neck for that?  A bit of overkill, IMHO.  Daisy and her fake crocodile tears whining about how sorry she is for not telling Marcos earlier about an extra guest was pretty annoying. 

Dasiy:  “Is there anything I can do?”  Yeah, your job.

Meanwhile, in contrast to the very complex meal Marcos had to make, we cut to a scene of Kelsie spreading Nutella (or something like it) on a banana.

The whole “hurricane” thing was really odd.  It’s like something the Marquis de Sade would have invented.  I can’t imagine that appealing to anyone normal – or not already three sheets to the wind.

And after all that, Gary is again in hot pursuit of Scarlett.  And Colin called it right the last episode, Daisy definitely seems jealous. 

Daisy:  “Marcos is really upset.”  Well, Daisy, perhaps he’s just upset with YOU.  And stop bugging him, you’re going to make it worse.

And given the scenes for the next episode, knowing full well there’s a charter the very next day, Daisy isn’t much help when she dismissively says “That’s tomorrow’s problem.”  How about pulling together to keep as much pressure off Marcos as possible? 

Will Gary finally corner Scarlett in a corner where she can’t escape?  Will Daisy get her act together?  Will the guest wedding be an event to remember for the right reasons instead of wrong ones?  Tune in next week to see…

• Applause 1
  • Love 5

That was a really fun charter group- such a contrast to many we've seen.  Both types can be entertaining on a reality show, but I'm sure the crew were really enjoying this group.  And they were generous with the tip!  Viva Canadians!

I'm dying to know if this Hurricane drink will catch on.  It looks like the crew continues to do it on their night off.  I wonder if Ashley gets to slap Gary upside the head?  (I'm not saying he did anything to her to deserve it, just that it seems like something she would enjoy.) 

The crew stepped up during the high winds and avoided a disaster.  That area was really crowded with all kinds of boats.  I'm glad Kelsie went to get Gary when she did.  

• Love 13
18 minutes ago, SemiCharmedLife said:

That was a really fun charter group- such a contrast to many we've seen.  Both types can be entertaining on a reality show, but I'm sure the crew were really enjoying this group.  And they were generous with the tip!  Viva Canadians!

I'm dying to know if this Hurricane drink will catch on.  It looks like the crew continues to do it on their night off.  I wonder if Ashley gets to slap Gary upside the head?  (I'm not saying he did anything to her to deserve it, just that it seems like something she would enjoy.) 

The crew stepped up during the high winds and avoided a disaster.  That area was really crowded with all kinds of boats.  I'm glad Kelsie went to get Gary when she did.  

I agree it was a fun group but like Glen, I’m biased 🇨🇦 I thought the whole episode was good, probably a best ever Below Decks I’ve seen, the funny parts as well as the drama seemed real.  The food was amazing.  Daisy calling out Ashley for her behaviour was totally right, she was so out of line as usual.  That girl doesn’t “get” anything does she lol.

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 10

I have dipped a toe in to the molecular gastronomy world, trying to make caviar out of the essence of some sort of food is painfully hard, they sell kits for this, for every few droplets of perfectly round pearls you have a lot of clumps, etc...making avocado foam is not hard, (you use a whipping siphon) but time consuming to prep. Marco knows his way around a kitchen and didn't once throw a tantrum, I cannot think of any other chef on BD that would have not screamed and yelled their way thru all of that. It was nice to see a real stretch for a chef and a huge success with guests that really appreciated all the effort.

I wonder if the thought of serving Dipping Dots and Boba tea ever crossed his mind!

There is a tragic story of an chef that sort of started this movement who ultimately killed himself after achieving success with MG, you can do a deep dive on that subject.

• Useful 5
  • Love 5

Best group of guests ever!  They all needed that charter except for Daisy forgetting to tell Marcos about Capitan eating dinner with the guest.  I have to say I would hate that if I were Capitan.  Making small talk with people you do not know, when all you want to do is go to your room and read a good book.

Love Marcos and his cooking is phenomenal.  Sorry for his loss.   That must have been hard to get through, but he still made great food for the guests.

I think Gary may really like Scarlett...or he likes the fact she is not stalking him like Ashley did.  And add me to the bus that Daisy is jealous.  Not because she wants to date him but because she misses his attention as Scarlett is getting it all now.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, gaPeach said:

I think Gary may really like Scarlett...or he likes the fact she is not stalking him like Ashley did. 

It is that right there, Ashley should have ignored Gary and then he'd be chasing after her.  Maybe after he scores he is done with that girl, like he likes the pursuit or thrill of the hunt but when it's over, it's over.  

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1

It seems like Scarlett has a bit more self respect than I would have guessed, it looks like she sees that Gary isn't worth the trouble. Frankly it would not surprise me if Gary winds up getting slapped with a sexual harassment lawsuit at some point. I would go so far as to say he is downright predatory.

I find it odd that neither Barnaby nor Kelsie are in the mix of all these sexual escapades. I'm not sure if that's because they simply want no part of it or if there is something else going on that isn't making it into the narrative. 

I agree this charter group was probably the nicest we've ever seen on any BD show, and they left an amazing tip considering they didn't even put the sails up once. We've seen the guests and the crew in a relay race at least once before, on one of these shows. Can't remember the specifics; I don't think it was actually the guest's idea. I thought it was funny how oblivious they seemed to be when the deck crew were trying frantically to untangle the anchor chain.

Meanwhile, in contrast to the very complex meal Marcos had to make, we cut to a scene of Kelsie spreading Nutella (or something like it) on a banana.

I thought that was a funny visual. There was also a shot of her flossing her teeth in the galley. With her hair. Yuck. She's strange.

The whole “hurricane” thing was really odd.  It’s like something the Marquis de Sade would have invented.  I can’t imagine that appealing to anyone normal – or not already three sheets to the wind.

I have never heard of that before. That was weird. Who the hell would want to do that??

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I have never heard of that before. That was weird. Who the hell would want to do that??

I think that happens after one has been drinking heavily, lot's of bad ideas have been thought up after copious amounts of alcohol have been had.  I wonder if when the charter guests are really shitty some on the crew would suggest this game with crew being able to slap the guests, lol.

• Wink 1
  • LOL 3
(edited)

Isn't there a venue on Royal Caribbean cruise ships called Wonderland that is like this gastro bio stuff? I had a couple cruises booked with hopes of trying that while on the cruise. And they were cancelled, boo. 

Cannot wait to see the wedding go wrong as I am sure it will. LOL.

Next time we're drinking outdoors I'd like to try the hurricane thing with the DH. Heck, I have like 10 people I'd like to line up and offer a big ol' "shot" to. LOL!

Edited by Lamima
  • Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

If ever there's a time to buy a wedding cake from a local baker, this is it!  They have two days before it's needed.

The whole deck crew worked like a dream team to fix the anchor problems.  

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 11

Watching Gary with Marcos yesterday went a long way in explaining why so many find him attractive. People are drawn to those who make them feel good about themselves. Yes he's a flirt but he's also an attentive, caring guy. The way he persisted in helping out Marcos, knowing he was struggling, showed me why people are drawn to him and why he's successful with the ladies. Plus, he does his job and he makes for good, interesting tv.

13 hours ago, Tanukisan said:

Daisy’s been messing up more and more lately.  Forgetting to tell Marcos that the Captain was going to join the guests for dinner is a pretty basic faux pas.  With everything else Marcos is having to deal with, now he has to redo his plans.  Daisy also seems overly critical of her staff as well.  It looked to me like Ashley was just having a friendly chat with the guests but Daisy has to put her boot on Ashley’s neck for that?  A bit of overkill, IMHO.  Daisy and her fake crocodile tears whining about how sorry she is for not telling Marcos earlier about an extra guest was pretty annoying. 

I don't see this. Daisy simply forgot. It happens, and she was extremely contrite and apologetic. Sincerely so, IMHO.

Ashley was completely unprofessional. Daisy explained where to draw the line, and Ashley straight up did it again! Whining to the guests about wanting to be included. It's Daisy's job to provide feedback like that, especially since Ashley is clamoring for an (underserved) promotion. 

Captain Glen was so happy to have Canadian charter guests and they did not disappoint. Probably my favorite guests ever.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • Love 16
6 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I have dipped a toe in to the molecular gastronomy world, trying to make caviar out of the essence of some sort of food is painfully hard, they sell kits for this, for every few droplets of perfectly round pearls you have a lot of clumps, etc...making avocado foam is not hard, (you use a whipping siphon) but time consuming to prep. Marco knows his way around a kitchen and didn't once throw a tantrum, I cannot think of any other chef on BD that would have not screamed and yelled their way thru all of that. It was nice to see a real stretch for a chef and a huge success with guests that really appreciated all the effort.

I wonder if the thought of serving Dipping Dots and Boba tea ever crossed his mind!

There is a tragic story of an chef that sort of started this movement who ultimately killed himself after achieving success with MG, you can do a deep dive on that subject.

I was worried about Marcos' ability with molecular gastronomy based on his explanations to other crew members.  He seemed to have difficulty with the description, and was focusing solely on making one ingredient look like another.  But, he proved once again that he is multi-talented and really impressed everyone.  

• Love 2

Producers are working very hard to make the crew work hard.

The molecular gastronomy and the relay race smell like producer crap.  At least the crew were into it.  I'm sure the guests really packed all those uniforms and knew what kind of equipment would be available for the race.

But now they have to turn it around the very next day for the last charter?  They completely control the schedule so give me a break with that.

Looks like these fools stay up late partying, which is of course another thing the producers control -- just make sure there's enough booze on board.

I'm trying to remember has a cast member on any of the BD shows blown off the crew night out?  Very rarely.  Some cast members always turn in early, don't go around drinking more or twerking in the hot tub for other cast mates and the cameras.

I can believe crew members on real charters hooking up or even dating.  But I doubt they let them use the yachts to hook up in the hot tub, give them all the provisioned booze or let them have sex in the main guest cabins.  Why would the yacht owners facilitate all that, they're not trying to film drunken shenanigans for a TV show.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, FlyingEgret said:

What a lovely group of charter guests - I love Canadians!

I saw a clip on Reddit titled along the lines:  Canadian road rage. A passenger in a vehicle behind an snow engulfed car at a stop - he rips open his door and aggressively scrapes the snow off the other guy’s back window, and then slams back into his car swearing about idiots. 

• Fire 1
  • LOL 15
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, snarts said:

I don't see this. Daisy simply forgot. It happens, and she was extremely contrite and apologetic. Sincerely so, IMHO.

A small bit of defense for Daisy:  as soon as Marcos was done with his job the night before, he retreated to his cabin (understandably since he was so devastated by the bad news).  By the time Glenn told Daisy he was invited for the next night, Marcos was gone, and who would want to disturb him?  She still could/should have left a note, but Glenn did tell her rather late when they all had to clean up etc. etc....    Also, unless it was explained to her, she wouldn't have known how difficult it was to portion molecular gastronomy bites.    

Still a faux pas, but I don't think it's indication of grave incompetence.

Marco's scalp wound has healed really quickly!  I think I still see a small bare patch when they have those shots from above, but it's the color of his skin, not red or whatever.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

Daisy was a pretty crappy manager when it came to Ashley and Gabriela, but I've noticed she's been more proactive with Ashley these past couple of episodes. At times it seems she's almost trying to mentor her. I'm not sure if it's because of Ashley's constant haranguing about being 2nd stew or if she's just stepping up to the plate on her own.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
12 hours ago, snarts said:

Ashley straight up did it again!

So unprofessional. Did she actually say that? "I fell shitfaced face first out of my bed." Oh, wouldn't I be impressed.

Now that I think back, there were some guests.

Edited by nokat
  • Love 3
On 6/7/2022 at 10:18 AM, gaPeach said:

Best group of guests ever! 

ITA!  I want to take a vacation with THEM!  What a lovely, fun group of people.  The relay race looked fun and they took it in stride they lost.  I can see a group of ugly, drunk Americans getting pissy about it.  

On a side note I've always been a bit bummed the chef can't participate in the fun.  I understand why but an afternoon of silliness would be a good way to get his mind off of stuff.  Seeing him in the galley working away while everyone else was playing was a bit disheartening.

On 6/7/2022 at 11:39 AM, Baltimore Betty said:
On 6/7/2022 at 11:34 AM, iMonrey said:

I think that happens after one has been drinking heavily, lot's of bad ideas have been thought up after copious amounts of alcohol have been had.  I wonder if when the charter guests are really shitty some on the crew would suggest this game with crew being able to slap the guests, lol.

This actually looked kinda fun to me!  I can see it going south very quickly with the wrong group but with these easy going people why not?  Laugh and play a little not everything has to be so serious.

19 hours ago, Jobiska said:

A small bit of defense for Daisy:  as soon as Marcos was done with his job the night before, he retreated to his cabin (understandably since he was so devastated by the bad news).  By the time Glenn told Daisy he was invited for the next night, Marcos was gone, and who would want to disturb him?  She still could/should have left a note, but Glenn did tell her rather late when they all had to clean up etc. etc....    Also, unless it was explained to her, she wouldn't have known how difficult it was to portion molecular gastronomy bites.    

Still a faux pas, but I don't think it's indication of grave incompetence.

ITA!  It was a simple little oopsie.  At least she remembered before dinner was served instead of waiting until his plating and THEN mention that the captain was eating with them.

• Love 3

As far as the wedding cake goes:  who the F bakes a 3 tier, gluten free, dairy free, taste free cake on a boat?!  The way that boat rocks side to side?  Order the damn thing from the local bakery and call it good.  

• Like 1
  • Love 7

I think we're all in agreement that the Canadians were lovely people. Not spoiled, a-hole douchebags with an entitlement complex.

What was the name of the Canadian dish that Capt. Glen was raving about in the mess? Something about gravy, curds and chips (French Fries)? Looked really good.

I like Scarlett. As long as she avoids hooking up with Gary.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, WhiskeyVictor said:

What was the name of the Canadian dish that Capt. Glen was raving about in the mess? Something about gravy, curds and chips (French Fries)? Looked really good

Probably poutine.  It is good!

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

Does anybody know what that red tattoo on Marcos' right arm is about?  It's a rectangle with 3 lines inside making a "Y".  He had the same symbol on his hat, in white on blue.  Thanks! 

He's the best chef ever.  No drama.  Even with his bad news, he just plows ahead and gets the job done amazingly well.

Totally agree, nicest guests ever.  Agree Daisy is slipping a bit.  I'll blame it on killer fatigue.

2 more episodes?

• Like 1
  • Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, PaperTree said:

Does anybody know what that red tattoo on Marcos' right arm is about?

It's the logo for his restaurant business, ML Eats in LA. I Googled that shit!

Edited by Mr. Miner
  • Useful 5

Probably poutine.  It is good!

Is it? I'm not sure I ever properly understood what it is. Is it french fries topped with cottage cheese and gravy? Do I have that right? If so, it sounds disgusting. 

• LOL 1
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Is it? I'm not sure I ever properly understood what it is. Is it french fries topped with cottage cheese and gravy? Do I have that right? If so, it sounds disgusting. 

It's cheese curds not cottage cheese.  I like the curds, but I'm not a fan of french fries.  Poutine is Ok

• Love 1

Poutine is french fries, gravy and cheese curds, but you can use fresh mozzarella or even regular mozzarella, it’s delicious.  I’m going to have it for lunch tomorrow now 😋

• Applause 1
11 hours ago, iMonrey said:

You say tomato, I say tomahtoh.

Cheese curds are not quite the same as cottage cheese. They are more like a Mozzarella texture. They have a little bit of a squeak when you eat them, and they melt super well. They tend to be a bit salty. I first had them when I visited WI back in the 90s. They are pretty decent. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, iMonrey said:

You say tomato, I say tomahtoh.

I always thought they were the same thing with a different name but my wife brought some back when she was in WI on business & they're not even close, the only similarity is that they both have cheese in the name.

• Love 2
(edited)
10 hours ago, endure said:

Poutine is french fries, gravy and cheese curds, but you can use fresh mozzarella or even regular mozzarella, it’s delicious.  I’m going to have it for lunch tomorrow now 😋

We have something similar here in NJ, commonly served in our diners, called "disco fries".  The name came from back in the day (late 70's - early 80's) when everyone would go to the diner late nights after being at a disco/club and ordering the dish (oftentimes, we were all mostly drunk, LOL!).

Here, it is a dish of french fries with brown gravy and melted mozzarella cheese - so yummy!!!  

I would love to see Marcos' take on poutine/disco fries, although I don't know how you could "upscale" this particular dish!!  Sometimes, simple foods should stay that way, just prepared to perfection.

Edited by njbchlover
  • Love 2

I actually bookmarked a place here in France which specialized in poutine.  Never got to trY it out though.

but they seem to integrate in salad and poke-like bowls.

Lot of good Google reviews.

will just have to visit Montreal and Toronto some day.

• Love 1

Um. I dunno if I am repeating myself or others here, but...

Just so we're all on the same page...

Can we accept 2 things as facts?

1--- Daisy is cock-blocking Gary with the other 2 stews because she wants him for herself.

2--- She is slacking on her role because she is pre-occupied w/ cock-blocking Gary

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, NowVoyager said:

Daisy is cock-blocking Gary with the other 2 stews because she wants him for herself

(obviously) I could be wrong, but I don't think Daisy is jealous. I think she's really tired, and is sick to hell with Gary schmoozing with Scarlett and Scarlett not telling him to go to hell, she has work to do. Even after she told Scarlett to get back to work, there they are yaking again.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, dleighg said:

(obviously) I could be wrong, but I don't think Daisy is jealous. I think she's really tired, and is sick to hell with Gary schmoozing with Scarlett and Scarlett not telling him to go to hell, she has work to do. Even after she told Scarlett to get back to work, there they are yaking again.

I feel like that's right, plus she also has to deal with Ashley tattling to her every time Scarlett and Gary are within 5 feet of each other because she's still jealous.  I think Gary's behavior is just being a pain in Daisy's butt at this point.

• Love 8
On 6/10/2022 at 7:30 PM, pasdetrois said:

I remember the diner gravy fries in the great movie "Diner."

Baltimore fries and gravy are a staple!

Back on topic, I think everyone would do their jobs better if they focused less on Gary and where he's putting Little Gary.

For all that he got his devastating news, Marcos still put out an incredible meal. His dedication should be commended.

• Love 3