Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: On the Market

• Start Topic

I've liked Ava more this season than last season but that moment where she calculates the power differential of sleeping with her subletter, guesses wrong (but whatever it's fiction) and then tries to assert ownership of her place the next day when she's asked to leave is ooph.  I did not like that Ava.

• Useful 1

I liked how Jimmy tried to leave Kayla behind and poach Silas on his way out. And Kayla was right that the narrative of the boss’s daughter leaving the firm would help Jimmy going independent, which was unusually savvy for her.

• Like 6
  • Love 8
14 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I've liked Ava more this season than last season but that moment where she calculates the power differential of sleeping with her subletter, guesses wrong (but whatever it's fiction) and then tries to assert ownership of her place the next day when she's asked to leave is ooph.  I did not like that Ava.

That was definitely a bad look for Ava. I thought the subletter was pretty awful too, though. She chose to let Ava sleep in, and then acted put upon because of it. If she had just been a little bit pleasant about the whole thing, the interaction would probably have gone very differently.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
9 hours ago, Blakeston said:

That was definitely a bad look for Ava. I thought the subletter was pretty awful too, though. She chose to let Ava sleep in, and then acted put upon because of it. If she had just been a little bit pleasant about the whole thing, the interaction would probably have gone very differently.

Yea, I wasn't mad at Ava over that because the subletter was just completely awful. I do have to agree with @rollacoaster that she was incredibly hot though lol.

• Love 4

Am I the only one who's such a huge TV nerd that when Deborah recommended Elaine to direct her special by saying, "It was her idea for Mary Tyler Moore to throw the hat," I was immediately indignant on behalf of Iranian American TV director Reza Badiyi, the guy who came up with the hat gag in real life?

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

Okay, so Anita Baker's "Sweet Love" blasting every time they walked into Deb's side mansion had me rolling. I loved that nobody could figure out how to turn it off, either.

My single favorite moment was Deb getting out the chainsaw to the dulcet tones of Cher ("Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves!" My favorite song as a little girl!) to cut down that silly tree house that had been blocking her zillion-dollar view.

Also, the music supervisor for this show is just fantastic. I've loved every single song choice, and did again here.

I really liked this episode, and have been so pleased with how strongly Season 2 is ending. I loved seeing Deb, Ava and the team have to try to give the big sell on Deb's show idea -- and especially in an era of Hannah Gadsby and other more confessional queer and female comedy, I thought Deb's show made perfect sense as a TV special, and loved that Jimmy stood up for the concept and for Deb like that. I'm just sorry he STILL can't get rid of horrible Kayla.

And wow, those boardroom pitch scenes had to have been written from some real-life inspirational scenarios by Samantha Riley, Lucia Aniello, and Paul Downs, because the fakeness was so beautifully presented and so gross. All that over-the-top praise and the cloying tones and 90% of it was just empty air, signifying nothing.

I really loved seeing Deb take a leap and trust what she and Ava had created. Also loved seeing Ava return to L.A. a more balanced, aware, and kinder person. I loved seeing her truly apologize to the friend she had been so rude to in the pilot, and her apology came across as real and charming. 

Ava's hookup with the gorgeous subletter was cute and hot, at least in the moment. I was cringing at the morning after (the subletter was a bit rude and not nearly as charming as the night before), but at least it didn't end up downright hostile, and I understood their irritation once we realized Ava had evidently slept into the afternoon.

Related note: I have to wonder if there is some meaning to Ava being this tired and looking tired "even while asleep" that may pay off further down the road? Since her Mom mentioned it before and now the subletter said the same thing. I hope she's not sick or something. It's not like we're seeing her working too many hours or not sleeping. She just seems really really tired?

Last but not least, I thought Deb's director friend was a little rude to Ava -- one of those people who better be SUPER talented because they are kind of constantly dismissive and jerky. Fingers crossed she comes through on the special.

On 6/2/2022 at 2:48 PM, Irlandesa said:

See, I saw it differently -- I didn't think it was unlikable at all. I actually liked her for it. Because it was Ava's genuine, caring, hyper-accountable side. She was super-attracted to the gorgeous subletter, but I did like that she paused and went, "Wait, is this okay ethically?" Because in some scenarios it could have been really icky and not okay. (But I thought it was perfectly okay here, and for the reasons Ava outlined.)

I get, looking back now, that it could have come across as sort of calculating, but I really thought Ava was genuinely concerned about taking part in something that might be inappropriate or hurtful for the tenant, so she paused, went through the logistics, and went, "Nope, we're okay." I thought it was cute and funny, and since the subletter was okay with it, I was too.

On 6/2/2022 at 7:04 PM, arc said:

I liked how Jimmy tried to leave Kayla behind and poach Silas on his way out. And Kayla was right that the narrative of the boss’s daughter leaving the firm would help Jimmy going independent, which was unusually savvy for her.

I continue to loathe everything to do with Kayla. It just doesn't work for me. It breaks my immersion and feels sitcommy and unreal. She's adorable, it's her personality that's killing me -- she isn't remotely believable as a character for me. And I just feel like she is someone who is low-key victimizing poor Jimmy at this point, and I was embarrassed for him that even quitting the firm will not rid him of this utterly horrible and inept person he can't stand.

On 6/3/2022 at 5:43 AM, Blakeston said:

Yeah, I thought the subletter was a bit rude, although I guess I could excuse it given that they let Ava sleep into the afternoon. I don't know why they didn't wake her up with a cup of coffee earlier and be nicer. Letting Ava sleep in AND being rude just feels passive-aggressive to me.

On 6/3/2022 at 8:06 AM, rollacoaster said:

My GAWD, Ava's subletter is one of the HOTTEST humans I have ever seen. 

I wasn't sure if she or her character were NB so I went to check on her pronouns and she's played by Paula Andrea Placido. Definitely a gorgeous actress!

On 6/4/2022 at 2:25 PM, Dev F said:

Am I the only one who's such a huge TV nerd that when Deborah recommended Elaine to direct her special by saying, "It was her idea for Mary Tyler Moore to throw the hat," I was immediately indignant on behalf of Iranian American TV director Reza Badiyi, the guy who came up with the hat gag in real life?

LOL! I took it in the spirit of the fictional world of the show (like Don Draper creating a certain Coke spot). But I loved your indignance on Reza's behalf (and thank you for teaching me who actually thought of it)!

• Applause 2
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, paramitch said:

My single favorite moment was Deb getting out the chainsaw to the dulcet tones of Cher ("Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves!" My favorite song as a little girl!) to cut down that silly tree house that had been blocking her zillion-dollar view.

I loved the way she did it, but even if there was no treehouse, wouldn’t the tree itself be blocking her view anyway?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, chitowngirl said:
4 hours ago, paramitch said:

I loved the way she did it, but even if there was no treehouse, wouldn’t the tree itself be blocking her view anyway?

I keep wondering if that's gonna come back and bite her in the ass. Getting sued by the owners or some such thing. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

She cut down the tree AND the treehouse! 😄There was a brief scene after where Deb looked out of her backyard window and now she had that perfect L.A. view again because the tree was gone. And while I'm not into L.A. myself, it was a gorgeous view (and definitely would be amazing at night).

9 hours ago, rollacoaster said:

I keep wondering if that's gonna come back and bite her in the ass. Getting sued by the owners or some such thing. 

I could definitely see it happening, although Deb seems to have money to burn, so she'd probably be able to pay for forgiveness now that the tree is gone and the owners can't do anything about it.

1 hour ago, Dminches said:

Are Taylor (the birthday girl) and Ruby both Ava’s ex-girfriends?

Taylor was just a friend, the one Ava embarrassed in the pilot when she was out to lunch with her Mom. Ruby is definitely Ava's ex-girlfriend, though.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 6/7/2022 at 9:12 AM, paramitch said:

And wow, those boardroom pitch scenes had to have been written from some real-life inspirational scenarios by Samantha Riley, Lucia Aniello, and Paul Downs, because the fakeness was so beautifully presented and so gross. All that over-the-top praise and the cloying tones and 90% of it was just empty air, signifying nothing.

I continue to loathe everything to do with Kayla. It just doesn't work for me. It breaks my immersion and feels sitcommy and unreal. She's adorable, it's her personality that's killing me -- she isn't remotely believable as a character for me. And I just feel like she is someone who is low-key victimizing poor Jimmy at this point, and I was embarrassed for him that even quitting the firm will not rid him of this utterly horrible and inept person he can't stand.

The only reason I tolerate Kayla is that Jimmy plays off her so well.  Paul Downs is amazing.  The moment he realized that actually teaming with her was beneficial to him was great.  I could feel his inner turmoil.

On 6/7/2022 at 9:12 AM, paramitch said:

Related note: I have to wonder if there is some meaning to Ava being this tired and looking tired "even while asleep" that may pay off further down the road? Since her Mom mentioned it before and now the subletter said the same thing. I hope she's not sick or something. It's not like we're seeing her working too many hours or not sleeping. She just seems really really tired?

I am hoping that no one realized that Ava used the same line twice.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Dminches said:

The only reason I tolerate Kayla is that Jimmy plays off her so well.  Paul Downs is amazing.  The moment he realized that actually teaming with her was beneficial to him was great.  I could feel his inner turmoil.

I am hoping that no one realized that Ava used the same line twice.

I agree that Paul Downs is absolutely wonderful as Jimmy. And his reaction was perfect (poor guy).

On the "tired" thing -- the very interesting thing is that Ava didn't say it, but that it was said twice TO Ava, which was why it really struck me. Her Mom says it to her in their hotel room a few episodes earlier, and then the gorgeous subletter says it again almost verbatim, that she looked tired while she was asleep.

I wonder if it will come up again in season 3. I hope it's not anything big or bad. I did think it must have been present for a reason. Maybe to underscore how hard she was working for Deb?

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, paramitch said:

it was said twice TO Ava

Both times coming well after Ava pledged to quit her bad habits and live a clean life. Maybe she has smartphone withdrawal, or she’s not doing enough drugs.

• LOL 3

Though it ended horribly, I was glad that Ava got her some with the hot subletter, especially after having been unceremoniously torn away from the hot cruise couple a few episodes ago. 

The lawsuit plotline is so weird. It's an ongoing thread but it seems to be ignored in most of Ava and Deb's scenes together. Maybe I also just don't understand the casual thing about "rich people suing each other all the time," but I just can't imagine that Ava and Deborah continue to cultivate a decent working relationship/friendship with that hanging over their head. 

On 8/2/2022 at 11:28 AM, Iseut said:

Though it ended horribly, I was glad that Ava got her some with the hot subletter, especially after having been unceremoniously torn away from the hot cruise couple a few episodes ago. 

The lawsuit plotline is so weird. It's an ongoing thread but it seems to be ignored in most of Ava and Deb's scenes together. Maybe I also just don't understand the casual thing about "rich people suing each other all the time," but I just can't imagine that Ava and Deborah continue to cultivate a decent working relationship/friendship with that hanging over their head. 

Well, to Deb it’s just business and Ava probably works very hard to suppress it/is in denial. 

On 6/9/2022 at 5:10 AM, paramitch said:

On the "tired" thing -- the very interesting thing is that Ava didn't say it, but that it was said twice TO Ava, which was why it really struck me. Her Mom says it to her in their hotel room a few episodes earlier, and then the gorgeous subletter says it again almost verbatim, that she looked tired while she was asleep.

I wonder if it will come up again in season 3. I hope it's not anything big or bad. I did think it must have been present for a reason. Maybe to underscore how hard she was working for Deb?

I thought it was to show Ava that although most of what her mom says is wacky and not to be taken seriously, in this case she was accurate, since someone else independently agreed. This made it a little callback joke for the audience.

• Love 1