Type keyword(s) to search

Kim Wexler's Own Prequel Series Be Next?

• Start Topic

I also would prefer a Kim-centric sequel that takes place during the BB timeline over a prequel.  It doesn't matter to me whether she is in Saul's life or somewhere else.  

My own thesis for Kim's character is she is a more-or-less decent person whose attachment to Jimmy has brought her down.  And also that she simply left Nebraska because she wanted "more".  If they present us with a darker, younger version of Kim it will take away from the side of the current Kim that feels badly about the things she and Jimmy have done.  So I really don't need to know more about her backstory, although I would like to see something about her relationship with her father, whom I suspect is where she got her work ethic and admiration for Atticus Finch.  A post-BCS version of Kim Wexler will be three orders of magnitude more interesting.  

Of course, all of that means the Kim prequel is on the way.  

• Love 4

Rhea Seehorn is already playing at least a decade younger, closer to two, than she actually is, so a prequel is a complete non-starter.

Depending on how her story ends, there could be room for a sequel series but I tend to think these work better when they're dealing with side-characters who were underdeveloped in the progenitor show.  Saul was perfect because he was an interesting character but, in BB, really only operated as a function of the plot.  But we've really been on Kim's journey as much as Jimmy's especially since S2 so it would feel very strange to spin-off someone as central.

As much as I love the universe, I do think direct sequels are probably done.  I would love to see something set in the same world but not spinning off an obvious character -- another artistic neo-noir set in ABQ with the same aesthetic and sensibilities and with the potential for some of the same background characters to pop up.  Turn the Gilliverse into something like the Askewniverse.  I think that could work -- but you also have to wonder what benefits the tie to BB will ultimately deliver if ultimately the only real crossover is, I dunno, bringing back Detective Tim.

Vince Gilligan did say he was trying to get a new show off the ground so he could keep the same crew and that it would be something quite different.  My guess is that he might do something that goes back to his sci-fi roots a bit more - or, heck, he could even go into something flat-out comedic.  While I like Vince a lot, I'm at least as interested in seeing where Peter Gould, Tom Schnauz and in particular Gordon Smith go.  Plus there are other great BB alums out there -- what's Moira Walley-Beckett doing since "Anne with an E" ended?  And with "Rings of Power" gearing up to release, is Gennifer Hutchison still working on it or might she get her own thing?

• Love 3
(edited)

Honestly the only thing I dislike like more than Kim Wexler as a character is Rhea Seehorn as an actress so I would not watch a series based on her.

The interesting thing I got from this article and interview is that a Kim Wexler series is even being considered because that would mean that she doesn't die in BCS as I was looking forward to. 

Edited by SimplexFish
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

The next series will be The Rook, starring 75 year old Jonathan Banks playing Philadelphia rookie police officer Mike Ehrmantraut.

Episode 1: Mike befriends a young boxer named Rocky Balboa and Michael Steadman, a newly minted advertising executive.

Edited by Constantinople
  • LOL 15

Rhea certainly does have a unique acting style…..I’m not sure how to describe it.  Or, maybe that’s just her interpretation of Kim’s personality.  I actually, don’t think I’ve ever seen her in anything else before.  

• Love 2
5 hours ago, gallimaufry said:

Depending on how her story ends, there could be room for a sequel series but I tend to think these work better when they're dealing with side-characters who were underdeveloped in the progenitor show.  Saul was perfect because he was an interesting character but, in BB, really only operated as a function of the plot.  But we've really been on Kim's journey as much as Jimmy's especially since S2 so it would feel very strange to spin-off someone as central.

Right.  Had they not killed Howard, an HHM sequel could have been kind of fun--basically the straight forward, well-executed legal drama BCS was originally going to be.

A young Gus still has a lot to reveal but they'd have to go with a different actor. 

• Love 4

More misogyny from BCS watchers - I’ve seen a number of people comment (not here) about how depraved and perverse Kim is because she was turned on by the success of their scam. Maybe, but no one said the same about Jimmy, and he was also into the sex. It’s just so predictable and so disheartening at the same time. 

• Love 3

Everyone is too old for another prequel. I don't think that a series set in the BB timeline would work either. Viewers would be expecting the shows to intersect and the problem of age, again, would come up. Also, any interaction between the two would seem forced, as Kim was never mentioned in BB. The most logical would be a series set in the post-Gene era of BCS. Presuming Kim lives that long.

• Love 4

Interesting. Everything I've read up to this point made it sound like the showrunners are just done done with this universe. But I know. Famous last words and all that. AMC really doesn't have much else going as far as prestige TV or even TV that doesn't involve running zombies into the ground, so I could see the money people starting to think "Well maybe ... What about?"

But yeah, no more prequels. I'm pretty good about suspending disbelief and just going with what the show tells me I'm seeing and even I'm struck by how old everybody looks coming back for this final season, at least for what they're supposed to be playing. I think a lot depends on what Kim's final resolution on this show is. If she walks away clear of Jimmy and goes on to do something else, I'd probably be interested in seeing where they go with it. I still love Kim a lot and I'm a sucker for a well written complex female protagonist even if they're incredibly difficult or do things I wouldn't tolerate in real life. I really don't care as long as the writing makes sense and supports how they got there. I think it'd be hard to pull off in the Breaking Bad timeline though because the temptation for constant Easter eggs and tie-ins would be too strong and the fanbase would demand it.

• Love 4
53 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

More misogyny from BCS watchers - I’ve seen a number of people comment (not here) about how depraved and perverse Kim is because she was turned on by the success of their scam. Maybe, but no one said the same about Jimmy, and he was also into the sex. It’s just so predictable and so disheartening at the same time. 

Interesting - I've replied in the Kim thread as I think it better fits there.

13 hours ago, Constantinople said:

The next series will be The Rook, starring 75 year old Jonathan Banks playing Philadelphia rookie police officer Mike Ehrmantraut.

Episode 1: Mike befriends a young boxer named Rocky Balboa and Michael Steadman, a newly minted advertising executive.

No, the 75 year old rookie beats up Rocky and tells him to learn how to fight.

He then does the same for a young Apollo Creed.

• LOL 4

Actually, really random character who I always thought could make for an interesting spin-off: Billy Gatwood, Kevin's friend who Kim helped in 309.  A version of "Dallas" with a Gilliverse aesthetic seems like it could be a lot of fun.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

A prequel wouldn't require that they use the same actors.  "Young Kimmie" anyone?

I’d love to see some actors reading for this one!  Here are some that come to mind.  

Isobel May played daughter in 1883;

Kiernan Shipka was Sally Draper in Mad Men;

Elle Fanning, recently in The Girl From Plainville; and

Imogene Poots free spirit on Outer Range.  

• Love 2
9 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’d love to see some actors reading for this one!  Here are some that come to mind.  

Isobel May played daughter in 1883;

Kiernan Shipka was Sally Draper in Mad Men;

Elle Fanning, recently in The Girl From Plainville; and

Imogene Poots free spirit on Outer Range.  

That could work but I was actually thinking younger - as in Young Sheldon younger.  After all, we've already met shoplifting-age young Kimmie.

• Love 2

I just don't see the attraction of a young Kim series.  The actors in the flashbacks are terrific but if there's a story to tell about these characters, it should be told within the current show, not farmed out.  And doing Kim without Rhea Seehorn, however terrific Katie Beth Hall is, seems wrong.

My guess is that if they ever do return to the Gilliverse, it will be to visit Jesse Pinkman.  I do think there's an interesting story to be told about a man trying to build a new life while trying to escape his demons and his past.

• Love 1
57 minutes ago, gallimaufry said:

I just don't see the attraction of a young Kim series.  The actors in the flashbacks are terrific but if there's a story to tell about these characters, it should be told within the current show, not farmed out.  And doing Kim without Rhea Seehorn, however terrific Katie Beth Hall is, seems wrong.

I know I made that suggestion, but it was more just me having fun with the idea rather than a sincere suggestion.

Personally, I'm just waiting for @PeterPirateto put together a demo reel with samples of all the shows they've proposed for Kim.  Link when it's on youtube, please 🙂

• Wink 1
  • Love 3

I would watch Jesse in another life, but it wouldn’t be my favorite.  Jesse frustrated me a lot.  He was so annoying.  I’m not sure I’d have the patience for it. 

I might would like to see Kim in law school. What was she like then? 

Of course, it may be good to just let it all go. 

• Love 1
(edited)

BCS needs a female character lead and it's Kim.  That's pretty much my opinion of her - I'm neutral, although I like most of the other characters more.

It seems like many of these "prestige" shows have female leads that people love to hate - Carmella Soprano, Betty Draper, Skylar White, Kim Wexler, Carol Brady (okay, maybe not her...), which speaks to how good the actresses are and how strong the characters are.  And hate-watching is still watching as far as TPTB are concerned.

Gilligan hasn't let me down yet.  As long as he remained involved I'd check out a Kim spinoff.   

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Love 1
47 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

BCS needs a female character lead and it's Kim.  That's pretty much my opinion of her - I'm neutral, although I like most of the other characters more.

It seems like many of these "prestige" shows have female leads that people love to hate - Carmella Soprano, Betty Draper, Skylar White, Kim Wexler, Carol Brady (okay, maybe not her...), which speaks to how good the actresses are and how strong the characters are.  And hate-watching is still watching as far as TPTB are concerned.

Gilligan hasn't let me down yet.  As long as he remained involved I'd check out a Kim spinoff.   

Explaining this phenomenon...

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Meh.  Men have been called assholes and much worse in movies and tv shows for years, so I don't have an issue with women being called out either in their acting roles. 

Asshole be an asshole.  Bitch be a bitch. 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

Meh.  Men have been called assholes and much worse in movies and tv shows for years, so I don't have an issue with women being called out either in their acting roles. 

True, until it gets to the point where the actor is being threatened with murder for the actions of her character which has happened pretty regularly. For some reason it tends to happen to women more than men. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

“Nagging,” meaning what?

I suppose this is as good a place to post this video as any other. 

I expect hard-core BB fans will not find anything here all that new.  It makes think I would still like to see more about Kim's backstory showing her "human" side.  Where did she acquire her desire to be like Atticus Finch?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, PeterPirate said:

It makes think I would still like to see more about Kim's backstory showing her "human" side.  Where did she acquire her desire to be like Atticus Finch?

Perhaps reading or something watching To Kill A Mockingbird?

Normally that would sound trite, but I've read that it was Raymond Cruz's favorite book and that he wanted to become an actor after seeing Gregory Pack's portrayal of Atticus Finch.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Constantinople said:

Perhaps reading or something watching To Kill A Mockingbird?  

Sure.  But many high schoolers are assigned to read To Kill A Mockingbird who don't aspire to be like Atticus Finch.  More youth identify with Holden Caulfield.  

The way I look at it, Kim's story is more tragic and compelling if she has a good side that has been corrupted by her choice to associate with Jimmy.  She is less interesting if she is a hard-working but soulless lawyer.  

• Love 1