Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E04: The Crystal Conundrum

• Start Topic

I don't think Dorit had a lot of expensive "real" jewelry because real jewelry is incredibly expensive and you have to spend an enormous amount to get a piece that makes a statement. 

She is much more about logos and obviously branded stuff like Chanel costume jewelry which is absurdly expensive for what it is but still the equivalent "look" in real gold and gemstones would be unaffordable to all but billionaire level wealth

I doubt that PK has some vast watch collection worth millions either - maybe he has one Rolex but I don't see him either as someone who has a million dollar watch collection.

It is conceivable that expensive designer bags were taken - a basic Chanel flap bag is now about $8000 and so you can fit a lot of bags into a few large trash bags and those will start to add up.

What will be interesting is the "proof" of loss supplied to her insurance. My home insurance renewal was up and so I re-evaluated my replacement cost. If you have anything of significant value you need to get a rider for it and you would have to provide something like an appraisal or receipt indicating its fair market value. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 2
On 6/2/2022 at 12:16 AM, SemiCharmedLife said:

Oh, no!  All the pot stirring will cause a rift between Sutton and Crystal, after they finally mended things and seem to be enjoying each other's friendship.  I really wish Garcelle hadn't asked the question about Crystal "setting up" Sutton.  Crystal seemed to respond defensively and accused Sutton of being very dark.  Naturally, people want to know what was said, as it speaks to Sutton's character, especially since they were talking about race and stereotypes.  If Kyle doesn't remember it and Bravo didn't show it, I'm not sure it was more than we already saw- Sutton being oblivious, inarticulate, and making it about herself.

Seriously The ReHashwives of B H, aka

The Real Housewives of Beating (dead) Horses is bordering on (surpassing?) ridiculousness.

Do any of the other franchises drag the same shit over and over and over and over and over and over as much as this one?

crimony!   If they don’t have enough material - fresh material- each episode and they have are forced to drag this shit over and over and over and over again let’s just send these bitches on a brand new vacation every single week.  THAT would be enjoyable!

This is becoming a bit irritating. 

40 minutes ago, eleanorofaquitaine said:

Unpopular opinion, but I didn't hate Sutton's dress. I mean, it isn't perfect - I don't like the bow thing at the collarbone but the fact that it looks like it's on backwards doesn't bother me that much.

Kris Kross’ll make ya …….

😃

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 4
On 6/2/2022 at 12:17 AM, laprin said:

I think these ladies need to choose words as charged as Crystal. Going forward, anything she said that I disagreed with would be labeled “problematic” or even “triggering”. I would declare her refusal to answer basic questions as “traumatizing.” If I’m Sutton, I would certainly tell her that such an accusation feels “abusive” and I feel “unsafe.” Let’s all play the word game. 

On 6/2/2022 at 4:24 AM, laprin said:

Being genuine is not an excuse to be reckless. The context and weight of one’s words can negatively impact other people. I believe racists are genuine, does that mean they get to use racists language? If Crystal has agency to choose words that others take offense to, why don’t they have agency to say they are offended? Crystal can express herself in whatever way she wants, but she can’t then police how others feel about the words she chooses. I would personally feel mortified if someone accused me of violating them. I liken a word that charged to assault, usually sexual. That might not be what Crystal meant, but words have societal connotations. I would have every right to vehemently defend myself against this characterization. 

On 6/2/2022 at 4:53 AM, CrinkleCutCat said:

Exactly. Words really are more than ’just’ words, as we are hard-wired as humans to react to language emotionally. Crystal can analyse a word, like ‘dark’ by how many letters and syllables it has but that’s being deliberately obtuse about the effect words have. Intention matters too. Some people just blurt out without much thought, but others intentionally and deliberately use words to hurt or manipulate. I think the focus should be on intention rather than specific words, which can spill over to being pedantic about word choice instead of focusing on the real issue at hand. Although, some people prefer that an argument/disagreement/conflict remains on the pedantic focus of word choice in order to avoid the real issue.

Crystal is smart, and she knows words have different connotations. She seems to choose the most extreme word for both of the conflicts she has found herself in. Crystal had the right to be upset and to choose the word violated. "Violation" when coupled with nudity to many implies a sexual violation. Invasion of privacy seems a more common description of what happened. Yes violation is a technical definition, but our language has nuance, and is impacted by societal norms. Crystal should know this. She was unwilling to understand or compromise about her choice of words - this is an important skill to learn in life when dealing with people of different age groups and different experiences. I found it interesting that this season on the way back from Kyle's in the limo with Crystal and Diana that Sutton acknowledged that she had to learn to listen to Crystal about how Crystal was feeling. 

Same with "Are you the girl who doesn't see color" and the choice of "Dark." Connecting the two implies a racist comment. Instead of just answering, "No I didn't set up Sutton, it was a spontaneous comment when she inserted herself into the conversation between me and Kyle," she alludes to some "dark" comment that clearly hasn't forestalled a friendship with Sutton.

Meanwhile, Crystal was right and Sutton was wrong in that original discussion. The editing in that scene is wonky, so I wouldn't be surprised if more was said.

On 6/2/2022 at 12:17 PM, SweetieDarling said:

Did anyone else think it was odd that Garcelle was willing and ready (almost eager) to re-evaluate her relationship with and feelings toward Sutton based on something Sutton said to Crystal a year ago that had been forgiven, because Crystal said it was "dark"?

No I think that would be normal. who would want to be friends with a racist - what I am assuming Crystal is implying. 

I am hoping Sutton didn't say anything more problematic than "I don't see color" and diffused the situation at her party because she wanted it to go off without a hitch and didn't want a typical HW brawl. I hope it's not because she said worse things. Sutton did and IG post last year apologizing for her statement and acknowledging her ignorance.

• Love 7
(edited)
On 6/3/2022 at 7:12 AM, eleanorofaquitaine said:

I genuinely think that Erika has no idea what to do with a Sutton who doesn't care that Erika hates her. Erika had the upper hand last year because Sutton cared that Erika was angry at her. Now Sutton doesn't, so she isn't trying to play nice with Erika and is essentially ignoring Erika, even when she’s snarling at Sutton. And for a narcissist like Erika, being ignored is worse than anything else.

You absolutely nailed it on this one!  I could not agree more.  Seems like the fact that Sutton’s holding her ground is causing Erika to unravel even further.  When a manipulator no longer has that power, they panic.

Edited by CallmeCray
  • Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 14

LOL'ing at Erika's two assistants yes'ing her into infinity with the whole "oh, yes, you're so lucky you have nowhere to go and no one to see--ain't life grand!" affirmations as they sit there on their laptops no doubt scouring social media for any mention of their boss.

Crystal exhausts me.  I know, I know...exhaust is a strong word, but please do not police my feelings, that I'm entitled to!

The only normal moment on this episode was PK and Dorit's discussion on what he was allowed to watch without her.  Oh, and Garcelle being happy for her son and his new job. 

• LOL 12
  • Love 11
7 hours ago, Boo Boo said:

The difference between Kyle's tacky AF fashion in her new store and Sutton's fashion was hilarious.  Sutton's store probably thrives while Kyle will be closing another soon. 

I seriously doubt either one of those stores actually make any money.  They are  often tax write offs for wealthy women who love to shop, like Sutton.   Not sure what Kyle's deal is but I know she's not doing it for the money. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
On 6/2/2022 at 10:58 PM, MadLove said:

I just got to see this weeks shitshow and I noticed that Dorit still has her engagement and wedding rings on. What kind of robbers would overlook such pricey items?

The kind YOU hire to take your shit?

• LOL 8
  • Love 1

Fuck Erika fuck Rinna fuck Crystal.

How anyone could be a fan of vile Erika blows my mind. These ladies just let her spout her garbage too. There’s plenty of evidence of how shitty her and her ex husband are.

Crystal can shut up. She’s annoying as hell. I was not minding her last episode but like either say what Sutton said or don’t bring it up. I hate when ppl are vague like that.

Kyle you shut up too.

Boring episode.

• Fire 1
  • Applause 7
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, amarante said:

What will be interesting is the "proof" of loss supplied to her insurance. My home insurance renewal was up and so I re-evaluated my replacement cost. If you have anything of significant value you need to get a rider for it and you would have to provide something like an appraisal or receipt indicating its fair market value. 

I've been wondering whether PK and Dorit collected on their insurance claim, or if it's unresolved or was rejected. That's private information so we wouldn't know.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, JonnieUniteUs said:

Apparently it’s $17,000. 😯

A20A04F6-F773-44A3-8432-ADE70A139E3E.jpeg

It's a reverse mullet dress -- party in the front, business in the back.  

• Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 15
  • Love 1
(edited)

I'm rewatching the episode, and like I thought I heard before, Kyle said twice she remembered what was said between her, Sutton and Crystal last year, and it was nothing bad.

Crystal said the term/word Sutton used was "dark" out of nowhere, and only after Garcelle mentioned she would ask Sutton if she was that girl, it didn't matter what. If it were something that terrible, why didn't she say it before? Crystal, as a new member would attack a minor HW last year to create drama, and promote herself. She achieved this by attacking Sutton. 

And as others mentioned, Crystal weaponizes words. She is intelligent and educated enough to know better (and to know a word can have several meanings, and to use it, or not). The word "violated" is slightly strong for what happened. Then she used the word "dark" without offering any explanation about what it was. She also said she didn't feel safe in Kyle's home. It must be excruciating going through life like this. Fortunately, she has a rich, and powerful enough husband to shield her from the world. 

Edited by ZettaK
  • Love 10
On 6/2/2022 at 1:13 PM, dmeets said:

Even Rinna had a look on her face like, oh shit, did she really just go there?

I cannot stand Erika. She’s the reason I couldn’t make it through the whole episode. Each time she talks I get angry, especially when she acts like a victim. I also can’t believe she is still trying to get Sutton to apologize to her when she threatened Sutton! She was so nasty!

Where is Kathy? Is she no longer on the show? I need some relief from Kyle, Lisa, and Erika because they are all nearly unwatchable. By the way, Kyle’s hair looks lighter brown this season. Something is different but her face too but I can’t identify it. Anyone?

I hope the break-isn’t going to be Dorit’s entire storyline but it’s looking that way. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Hiyo said:

That's not quite how it happened last year.

Exactly. Sutton said something pretty tone-deaf last year and Crystal reacted to it. She didn't "attack" Sutton. And she has a right to have felt violated because Sutton walked in on her. She explained why she felt that way and I can't believe we're rehashing the use of that word.

I'm glad that Sutton and Crystal are putting things behind them and building a friendship. But that doesn't mean we need to rewrite history about what happened. Not even Sutton is doing that (as of this episode, anyway).

• Like 1
  • Applause 4
  • Love 5
On 6/4/2022 at 10:15 AM, Keywestclubkid said:

With stuff like that wouldn’t you just remove the jewels to use in something else and melt down and use that to make other jewelry? 

Nobody wants to be stuck with the goods. Your run of the mill B+E guy is going to hand the stuff over to his "guy" who will give him pennies on the dollar of what was stolen and move it down the line. He will have his own guys for electronics, laptops, stolen groceries, etc.  I suppose you could have crooked jewelers in there somewhere, but it would be pretty labor intensive/risky.

My sister works with drug addicted clients and gives pretty fascinating glimpses into how this stuff works on the street level. Apparently there's a premium on stolen shrimp from grocery stores, and it goes to local crooked bars/restaurants. Who knew?!

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 8
  • Love 5
(edited)
19 hours ago, Hiyo said:

That's not quite how it happened last year.

Crystal said "are you this girl (who doesn't see color)" in an accusatory way. She told Sutton later on she was jealous of her because I assume she was older and had no husband. She also perpetuated the invasion of privacy story (I think that this was legitimate, but like a HW storyline it was exploited a little more than it should). If Erika didn't have explosive legal issues, the Sutton vs Crystal storyline would have been the only, or main storyline.

Edited by ZettaK
  • Love 3

Crystal said "are you this girl (who doesn't see color)" in an accusatory way.

And why and when did she say that? Crystal was having a conversation with Kyle that Sutton jumped into. So it wasn't like Crystal just randomly attacked Sutton, she was responding to something Sutton interrupted with.

She told Sutton later on she was jealous of her because I assume she was older and had no husband

Eh, pretty much most HWs have said this at some time or another.

She also perpetuated the invasion of privacy story

A "story" which was done to her.

Once again here is what someone else said about the Crystal/Sutton thing in case it was missed the first time:

Exactly. Sutton said something pretty tone-deaf last year and Crystal reacted to it. She didn't "attack" Sutton. And she has a right to have felt violated because Sutton walked in on her. She explained why she felt that way and I can't believe we're rehashing the use of that word.

I'm glad that Sutton and Crystal are putting things behind them and building a friendship. But that doesn't mean we need to rewrite history about what happened. Not even Sutton is doing that (as of this episode, anyway).

• Love 5
On 6/2/2022 at 1:10 PM, Jel said:

What could have been so bad that it's too bad to share, but also not bad enough to prevent her from actively cultivating a friendship with her? I'm sincerely trying to think of something that could meet both requirements, and I can't.  It's got to be "dark" (read horrible) but also so forgivable that she's willing to go beyond just cordial to actual, off camera friendship.

I wish she'd just say what it was.

I was thinking maybe she made a remark about the Klan being big where she lived in Georgia or something along those lines. Talking about those groups can be ‘dark’ ad upsetting and nothing you want to rehash but unless Sutton was like ‘oh the klan isn’t bad’ or something it wouldn’t bar a friendship. But I’m sure neither would want that topic brought up either. My mind went here because I live in the mid Atlantic but not too far from here, even up until the late 80s/early 90s, there were people with klan backgrounds in elected positions. People were kind of flip about it and now, looking back, it’s pretty damn horrific. And, if it was a quick, flip remark, Kyle may have missed it. Especially if Sutton immediately realized how it came across—she was pretty upset in what we saw of that conversation.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 6/6/2022 at 8:00 AM, eleanorofaquitaine said:

We are rehashing it because Crystal discussed it in the last episode. 

As for the tone deaf comment (if you mean the "I don't see color" one), others explained that in the 1980s, and 1990s in the U.S. it meant that they saw/considered everybody as equals. Sutton is of this age group. Not everybody, especially if they are older are aware that the meaning of a phrase changed. 

Edited by ZettaK
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 8
(edited)

Two screenshot of photos from Garcelle and Sutton's Instagram from a few days ago. It seems Garcelle and Sutton are friends, so I don't think the "dark" comment affected anything. The third person in Garcelle's photo is Denise Richards.

Screenshot_20220608-012456_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20220608-013946_Instagram.jpg

Edited by ZettaK
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, ZettaK said:

Two screenshot of photos from Garcelle and Sutton's Instagram from a few days ago. It seems Garcelle and Sutton are friends, so I don't think the "dark" comment affected anything. The third person in Garcelle's photo is Denise Richards.

Screenshot_20220608-012456_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20220608-013946_Instagram.jpg

I'm glad all is good with their friendship! It's nice to see Denise, and Sutton's daughter is so darling. She is so one of the prettiest RH kiddos imo. 

• Love 3

As for the tone deaf comment (if you mean the "I don't see color" one), others explained that in the 1980s, and 1990s in the U.S. it meant that they saw/considered everybody as equals. Sutton is of this age group. Not everybody, especially if they are older are aware that the meaning of a phrase changed. 

Yeah, but Sutton initially wasn't even bothering to listen to how the phrase may have changed, and in many ways even back then the phrase was a bit problematic. Eventually, she did start listening to Crystal and even learned a thing or two, which, good for Sutton.

In any case, it seems like whatever beef Sutton and Crystal had, it's been squashed, since while they not be as close as Sutton and Garcelle are, they still seem to get along fine with each other.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdMCFa2vTO1/?hl=en

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdgTlv2LPE5/?hl=en

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdnfWydrPr-/?hl=en

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, ZettaK said:

No, we are rehashing it because Garcelle discussed it last episode and Crystal defended herself. I didn't ask why we were rehashing it. I just expressed disbelief that we are. 

I know what Sutton meant when she said said what she said. It was still tone-deaf. I am glad that Sutton herself has talked about really listening to Crystal and trying to understand her perspective. It shows she has the capacity for growth, which is more than I can say for some of the other women. But that doesn't change the initial tone-deafness.

• Applause 3
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, ZettaK said:

I lived through that time. And I remember people saying, for the first time, “I don’t see colour”. It’s silly on its face, but I believe the intention was good. 
I think crystal’s tone may have put Sutton on her heels a bit. It was more accusatory than inquisitive. 

• Like 3
  • Love 12
On 6/4/2022 at 5:04 PM, amarante said:

I don't think Dorit had a lot of expensive "real" jewelry because real jewelry is incredibly expensive and you have to spend an enormous amount to get a piece that makes a statement. 

She is much more about logos and obviously branded stuff like Chanel costume jewelry which is absurdly expensive for what it is but still the equivalent "look" in real gold and gemstones would be unaffordable to all but billionaire level wealth

I doubt that PK has some vast watch collection worth millions either - maybe he has one Rolex but I don't see him either as someone who has a million dollar watch collection.

It is conceivable that expensive designer bags were taken - a basic Chanel flap bag is now about $8000 and so you can fit a lot of bags into a few large trash bags and those will start to add up.

Dorit might have a few pieces (like an engagement ring), but nothing like even Erika who has a Cartier Panthere ring, and other expensive jewelry, eg. the diamond pair of earrings the bankruptcy trustee wanted to get, but it was "stolen". 

PK said his most expensive watch cost $60,000, and he had a few watches in his collection.

So, I don't know how the stolen items add up to $1 million from her bags, and PK's watches. 

• Love 1
On 6/8/2022 at 1:33 AM, ZettaK said:

I'm 8 yrs older than Sutton. I made the "don't see color" comment in 10th grade and a (white, European exchange student) classmate set me straight. Circa 1980. Of course that was Massachusetts and not the deep South, but it seems like by the 90s that would have been a known 3rd rail.

• Useful 3