Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Part III

Message added by formerlyfreedom,

This is the episode topic for the third episode of Obi-Wan Kenobi. If you want to deep dive on the Star Wars universe, please head to this topic. Posts that are completely off topic from the episode may be removed. Thank you!

• Start Topic

The adventure with Leia makes me wonder why, in her R2 message in ANH, she didn't say, "Hey Ben, it's me Leia.  Remember that adventure we had 9 years ago?  Well, I could use your help again."  Instead she acts like she only knows him from reputation through her father.

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, paigow said:

From animated Clone Wars, Grievous actually said it first to Obi-Wan, so it was Kenobi doing an ironic callback before their death match... using it on Vader would be less impactful than High Ground or Chosen One.... 

Yes but High Ground just makes me giggle. 😆

32 minutes ago, Jack Sampson said:

The adventure with Leia makes me wonder why, in her R2 message in ANH, she didn't say, "Hey Ben, it's me Leia.  Remember that adventure we had 9 years ago?  Well, I could use your help again."  Instead she acts like she only knows him from reputation through her father.

This bothered me in the second episode too. So far Leia only knows him as Ben. I don't think she even knows his last name is Kenobi. Just Ben, so maybe she doesn't put 2 and 2 together until A New Hope when Luke tells her he's there with Ben Kenobi and her droids. I can't imagine, now that she's personally being used as bait by Reva, that Reva won't monologue about Obi Wan Kenobi to her, so my suspension of disbelief is weakening. 

• Love 2
58 minutes ago, Jack Sampson said:

My current handwave, based on what we know now (subject to change as the series progresses), is that she'll know by the end of this adventure some of why he was in hiding/exile/retirement (Darth Vader and his gang want him dead, in a big and ugly way), and that he only came out of hiding because it was a personal thing for her sake (and her adoptive father's). It wasn't because of any grand "save the galaxy" thing. But in her message in ANH, she knows she's asking him to get involved in the rebellion and come in conflict with the Empire, the thing he's been hiding from, and based on what's already happened with him and Darth Vader (surely she'll know about his injuries and that it's going to mess him up emotionally by the time all this is done) that getting involved in anything on a greater scale is not something he's interested in. So she calls back to his service in the Clone Wars, like a reminder that he's been involved in the big picture before, and she's making it clear that she's appealing to him on that level rather than emotionally manipulating him by playing up their personal connection and his connection to her birth mother. If she knows she's dragging him into the very last thing he wants to do, something that's probably going to mess him up and could lead to his death, she's going to keep it formal instead of playing on their personal bond.

13 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

So far Leia only knows him as Ben. I don't think she even knows his last name is Kenobi. Just Ben, so maybe she doesn't put 2 and 2 together until A New Hope when Luke tells her he's there with Ben Kenobi and her droids.

This could also work, if she just knows of a former Jedi named Ben who knew her mother, and then she's heard about Obi-Wan Kenobi from her father, and she doesn't put them together until Luke says "Ben Kenobi."

I was so glad while watching this episode that I know Leia and Obi-Wan will still be alive 9-10 years later because otherwise the suspense might have been too much for me. I know for some people that saps some of the tension, but I'm not sure I could have watched it without knowing. As it is, knowing that much allows me to relax enough to actually watch instead of hiding behind a pillow.

• Like 4
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Shanna Marie said:

My current handwave, based on what we know now (subject to change as the series progresses), is that she'll know by the end of this adventure some of why he was in hiding/exile/retirement (Darth Vader and his gang want him dead, in a big and ugly way), and that he only came out of hiding because it was a personal thing for her sake (and her adoptive father's). It wasn't because of any grand "save the galaxy" thing. But in her message in ANH, she knows she's asking him to get involved in the rebellion and come in conflict with the Empire, the thing he's been hiding from, and based on what's already happened with him and Darth Vader (surely she'll know about his injuries and that it's going to mess him up emotionally by the time all this is done) that getting involved in anything on a greater scale is not something he's interested in. So she calls back to his service in the Clone Wars, like a reminder that he's been involved in the big picture before, and she's making it clear that she's appealing to him on that level rather than emotionally manipulating him by playing up their personal connection and his connection to her birth mother. If she knows she's dragging him into the very last thing he wants to do, something that's probably going to mess him up and could lead to his death, she's going to keep it formal instead of playing on their personal bond.

This could also work, if she just knows of a former Jedi named Ben who knew her mother, and then she's heard about Obi-Wan Kenobi from her father, and she doesn't put them together until Luke says "Ben Kenobi."

I was so glad while watching this episode that I know Leia and Obi-Wan will still be alive 9-10 years later because otherwise the suspense might have been too much for me. I know for some people that saps some of the tension, but I'm not sure I could have watched it without knowing. As it is, knowing that much allows me to relax enough to actually watch instead of hiding behind a pillow.

Re: the last part, that's why I decided to watch it also.

I know that Obi Wan, Vader, Luke, Leia,Owen and Beru will come out this relatively fine along with the Organas.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Shanna Marie said:

Even knowing that Obi Wan survives until ANH, and it was only episode 3 of a 6 episode show named Obi Wan Kenobi I was still hiding under a pillow during his confrontation with Vader. That was intense! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
(edited)
On 6/1/2022 at 4:37 PM, ShadowHunter said:

Vader is scary as hell but still living on Mustafar is so emo. Oh Anakin lol. Obi-Wan is so scared, lost, and broken.

Ha ha THIS! Third Sister seems like a pissed off chihuahua compared to DV. I couldn't believe when they panned back and showed him still around all that lava.......

I absolutely loved this episode. That moment when Obi-Wan and DV sensed each other! Man, Obi-Wan needs a Jedi tune-up. Maybe he needs to go see Yoda and get in touch with the Force again?

I will say I think watching Clone Wars really adds a different layer to this show - it really shows how developed their relationship was and why Obi-Wan is so broken up over Anakin much more than you can get from just the movies. It also gives a much more in depth glimpse of Anakin as a fully functioning Jedi - he was a bad ass good guy, which makes it even sadder that he turned to the dark side......

I am loving Baby Leia. Not as much as Grogru, but she is wonderful. Great casting. Interesting that DV couldn't sense her too, but maybe because he was so focused on finding Obi-Wan?

The light saber fight shown from a distance was beautiful. I didn't think anything could top Mandalorian, especially after Bad Batch and BOBF, but this one is definitely trying.......

Edited by Ilovepie
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, absnow54 said:

Even knowing that Obi Wan survives until ANH, and it was only episode 3 of a 6 episode show named Obi Wan Kenobi I was still hiding under a pillow during his confrontation with Vader. That was intense! 

I could hardly bear it! I had to keep reminding myself that I know Obi-Wan has to survive, but I still felt so bad for him, how he was hurting, emotionally and physically.

When I was a kid and the original trilogy was coming out, I didn't get why so many people were impressed with Vader. I thought he was basically just a thug with a cool costume and powerful voice. I didn't even think he was that scary. But he terrified me in this. I had to make myself remember meeting James Earl Jones at a local event about 20 years ago, and he was so sweet and nice, and he has this adorable high-pitched giggle when he laughs, in spite of that deep speaking voice. Mentally adding that giggle to the Darth Vader voice was the way I broke the tension and made myself breathe again.

• Love 12
(edited)
On 6/1/2022 at 6:35 AM, raven said:

I was wondering if Vader was afraid of fire, but that still shouldn't have stopped him form dragging both of the others through it.

That's what I thought. Also, as others said, he's thinking it's only Round 1. 

On 6/1/2022 at 8:37 PM, Ottis said:

Why is Ben portrayed as so weak and full of doubt? Yes, he "isn't what he used to be," but what does that say about one of the legendary jedi? He got lazy as he hid?

I get that Round 1 is going to Vader on points here for drama. We all know the payoff is A New Hope. However, I'm not buying Kenobi as that weak; Vader shouldn't have been able to choke him, though I could buy he was a little better with the saber simply because Kenobi hasn't used his in ages. One thing I don't think should be messed with is Vader never could beat Kenobi, even in the end. They should stick to that. Clone Wars!Kenobi was unstoppable. 

I get it needs to build up to that, but the first battle was a just a little too one sided for me. Although I suppose Kenobi held his own with the saber and just ran out of gas. I also suppose that Kenobi just learned that Anakin was alive, and this monster shows up in the suit. I mean, 'what have they done to you?' is kind of low key. 

To be fair to the show, Kenobi has been calling out to Qui-Gon. Maybe finally connecting to him will wake him up. Vader isn't going to stop hunting him. 

7 hours ago, Shanna Marie said:

Didn't Leia hear Varma say, "I can't imagine Obi-Wan Kenobi doing anything wrong." "It's just Ben now." 

4 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

I will say I think watching Clone Wars really adds a different layer to this show - it really shows how developed their relationship was and why Obi-Wan is so broken up over Anakin much more than you can get from just the movies. It also gives a much more in depth glimpse of Anakin as a fully functioning Jedi - he was a bad ass good guy, which makes it even sadder that he turned to the dark side.

Even with Vader with his group of stormtroopers/clones now v then. Same with Kenobi too. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 1
On 6/1/2022 at 3:05 PM, UnknownK said:

DV does seem like the pissed off kid to kill people left and right for no reason other than being a dick. He probably kills more empire employees then the rebels did.

It felt to me as much showing off to Kenobi as it was a ploy to stir up Kenobi's feels so that Vader would be able to better sense him.

It definitely seemed to bother Reva, by the cutaway scene. She definitely seemed legit mad at Ben in ep 2, but I think she's just as mad at Vader and the Inquisitors/Empire and is pulling a long con in an effort to get massive revenge against everyone that took away her childhood. George Lucas is probably on the list, too. 😄

• LOL 1
On 6/1/2022 at 8:34 PM, sashabear21 said:

especially when Qui-Gon's been ghosting him from the Jedi afterlife. 

😁

The whole time on Freck's truck, I was waiting for: We are not the people you're looking for. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
(edited)

Great episode! I didn't expect to see Obi-Wan vs Nader this early but the confrontation was very well done and definitely is setting up for more. 

Great to hear James Earl Jones as Vader again and doing so by capturing the "voice" of Anakin. I was concerned that JEJ voice had sounded so old in Rogue One and on Rebels but he was back to his old form big time in this episode. 

Some more wonderful interaction between Obi-Wan and Leia and some very nice emotional beats when discussing Leia's birth parents. Nice to finally get some personal info on Obi-Wan and the brother bit was particularly intriguing. In the early drafts of the ROTJ script and the novelization, GL had decided that Owen Lars was Obi-Wan's brother. He even briefly recalls having a brother Owen in a book. This was the unofficial backstory for Obi-Wan until AOTC.

Thought the bit with the Freck the truck driver was interesting, showing a seemingly nice alien who is pro-Empire and on good terms with stormtroopers. 

I liked Indira's character and found Tala intriguing. 

Really liked the reference to Quinlan Vos although the mention of Jabiim I found particularly exciting. During the original Vlone Wars campaign from 2002-2005 in the old EU, The Battle of Jabiim was, in my mind the best Clone Wars comic arc of the Star Wars Republic series, an excellent and grim tale.

Vader chilling at the lava castle is pretty awesome. They definitely continued to show what a terrifying monster he is, just like Rogue One did.

Vader already made himself a blowtorch. Looks like he was getting ready to find himself a pair of pliers to deal with Obi-Wan...

Edited by benteen
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

Another great episode. Damn Vader was brutal! Killing people just to draw Obi Wan out. Throwing him in the fire. That had to hurt. I'm not surprise he's not doing well. He hasn't fought anyone or used the Force in ten years. He's very rustly. I also think his anger and regret is also part of it him messing up.  

I love Leia. She's really great. I love her ignoring Obi Wan telling her not to talk and talking. I love their conversation about the Force and fathers. I was surprised they gave us information on Obi Wan's family. I've always wondered if he or any Jedi ever thinks about their families or have any memories of them. Leia, you don't want to know what your biological father is like, trust us. I liked her apologizing to Obi Wan about running away.

I love the stormtrooper still being terrible at their job. Never change stormtroopers.

I can't wait to find out Reva's backstory. She is really good at hunting Obi Wan. Much better then the other two Inquisitors. 

Tala was really great. I wonder what other names were on the wall.

• Love 8
7 hours ago, benteen said:

Thought the bit with the Freck the truck driver was interesting, showing a seemingly nice alien who is pro-Empire and on good terms with stormtroopers. 

You have to think how much really changes on the mid to outer rim for people whether it's Empire or Republic. For most people's lives, there's been a civil war, and now it's over. They probably welcome the quiet. 

I think it's funny though after all the war, the Empire has stormtroopers all over the place. Even a backwater mining planet has like a battalion. And they're building the death star. Ten years isn't a long time to get up and running. 

• Love 2
(edited)
17 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

I will say I think watching Clone Wars really adds a different layer to this show - it really shows how developed their relationship was and why Obi-Wan is so broken up over Anakin much more than you can get from just the movies. It also gives a much more in depth glimpse of Anakin as a fully functioning Jedi - he was a bad ass good guy, which makes it even sadder that he turned to the dark side......

Disney is really being sneaky trying to get people to absorb basically all the different SW content (animated shows, books, video games, etc.) so whatever they’re watching/reading will be richer and provide more insight. Take the mention of Quinlan for example…I’ve heard of him, but don’t know who he truly is because I didn’t absorb whatever source material showcased him. I guess this was a well deserved Easter egg for everyone who DOES religiously read/watch/play all other ancillary SW content.

Edited by norcalgal

That certainly got intense, I didn't think we would get a confrontation between Obi-Wan and Vader/Anakin so early, or that things would go down like this. James Earl Jones was back in a big way, they really have managed to make Vader scary again, especially this younger more bloodthirsty one. This guy, rolling into villages and slaughtering so many random people that even the Inquisitors look a bit unsettled, makes the controlled space wizard we met in A New Hope look like a model of responsible leadership. Vader dragging Obi-Wan through the fire was brutal, even though I knew he would be fine that was hard to watch. Its also hard to see him struggle so much in his fight with Vader, he's been so broken by losing everything that he cant even remotely do what he used to be able to do during his Jedi days. I definitely think that Vader let Obi-Wan go on purpose, he wants to drag this out as long as possible, toying with him cat and mouse style to really cause him physical and emotional pain before he finally kills him. He's been planning his revenge on the guy he blames for everything, stewing away thinking of scenarios where he can finally make Obi-Wan suffer, I wouldn't be surprised if he plans on capturing him and dragging him back to Mustafar after letting him sweat for awhile just to dump him into the lava pit while Vader stands on top of a giant tower he has had built for this specific event while he yells about how he has the high ground now. Vader or Anakin, the guy is just such a drama queen. 

Nice seeing Indira Varma, I hope that her character makes it out alright, and I like hearing some different thoughts on the empire, with her character saying she originally joined because she thought they were doing something noble or with Freck the folky Empire sympathizer. I can imagine that for common people outside of the political drama and murders could appreciate the Empire's supposed goals of bringing order after years of war, especially if they're crimes never affect you personally. 

Obi-Wan talking about his long lost family was really interesting, I don't think he has ever mentioned that and a lot of Star Wars never really gets into how older Jedi feel about being taken away from their homes to join the Jedi order. He isn't angry or resentful, he came to truly love the Jedi, but he did seem rather wistful about it. I loved Obi-Wan talking to Leia about Padme, we have mostly focused on the Obi-Wan Anakin relationship, but Obi-Wan and Padme were also good friends too and I can imagine her death would still sting for him. They really had a lot more in common than either of them did with Anakin, being the calm collected diplomats to Anakins brash cowboy cop, and they teamed up pretty frequently in Clone Wars. Leia asking if Obi-Wan was her father was a real tearjerker, I cant blame her for not wanting to tell her the truth about her father. Or Luke, years later. 

Leia is already asking about the rebellion and wants to learn how to use a blaster, that's my girl!

• Love 11
1 hour ago, norcalgal said:

Disney is really being sneaky trying to get people to absorb basically all the different SW content (animated shows, books, video games, etc.) so whatever they’re watching/reading will be richer and provide more insight. Take the mention of Quinlan for example…I’ve heard of him, but don’t know who he truly is because I didn’t absorb whatever source material showcased him. I guess this was a well deserved Easter egg for everyone who DOES religiously read/watch/play all other ancillary SW content.

I wouldn't call it sneaky - I think it's definitely overt. And I would rank Clone Wars above the prequels in terms of story telling and character development. I watch the D+ Marvel shows, but I haven't seen most of the movies. I am sure it's a richer experience for everyone who has seen all the movies. I feel the same about these shows. I'm not into parsing every sentence to see if it fits "canon" or erases or makes a plot hole for the other shows/movies. I read a Nerdist article on Facebook this morning that gives Quinlan Vos' entire backstory and that was enough for me. I don't think knowing who he is at this point in the story is going affect understanding this episode as a whole. I still stand by my OP that Clone Wars provides a lot more back story to Obi-Wan and Anakin's relationship, but I don't think people can't enjoy this series without watching it.

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:

I still stand by my OP that Clone Wars provides a lot more back story to Obi-Wan and Anakin's relationship, but I don't think people can't enjoy this series without watching it.

I agree with this and think this is how it should be done. If you watched Clone Wars or any of the other TV shows, it adds to the enjoyment and is a nice little bonus, but if you haven't watched the Clone Wars or any of the other TV series, it's pretty clear from the context who the character is and if you hadn't heard of him before, you aren't totally lost and confused. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, norcalgal said:

I haven't watched most of the Disney expanded universe, I got mad they erased most of what I enjoyed about OG EU.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

Obi-Wan's line in A New Hope about lightsabers being a weapon from a more civilized age makes so much more sense now. It was cool seeing Obi-Wan use a blaster. 

Lol, every time he shot st someone in this episode, I was all, “Not so uncivilized to you now, huh, Obi-Wan?”

• LOL 2

Someone on Tumblr pointed out that Leia remembering Padme through images and feelings in Return of the Jedi was close to Obi Wan remembering his family in this episode, and then, when she asks Obi Wan if he's her real father, it's because she might also have images and feelings of Obi Wan since was there when she was born.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I would highly recommend The Clone Wars. It's a great series and definitely did the job of making Anakin more likeable. As much as I like Ewan McGreggor's performance, it's the voice of the actor who portrayed him on the show, James Arnold Taylor, that I think of if I read a Star Wars book or comic. 

The show also did a great job with the Anakin and Obi-Wan friendship although ironically, in my opinion the best story dealing with their friendship is one they never completed. Crystal Crisis on Utapau only exists as an animated story reel but features the most entertaining Anakin and Obi-Wan interaction.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

I still stand by my OP that Clone Wars provides a lot more back story to Obi-Wan and Anakin's relationship, but I don't think people can't enjoy this series without watching it.

I'm in tears hoping for flashbacks or force visions of Anakin ans Obi-Wan and it has nothing to do with the movies. Clone Wars and Rebels really developed Anakin through his relationships with Obi-Wan and Ahsoka.

If I get a Snips/Skyguy or Ahsoka/Obi-Wan reunion in this series or Ahsoka I will probably turn into a blubbering mess and that has everything to do with the animated series which really made me care about Anakin.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, jennifer6973 said:

I haven't watched most of the Disney expanded universe, I got mad they erased most of what I enjoyed about OG EU.

Preach sistah! I've got shelves full of OG EU books and comic books, so obviously I invested time/money on the OG EU just to see the majority of it swept away (smart of Disney to keep Thrawn though).

• Love 2

EM is so good in this, hitting all the right beats.  The little girl cast as Leia is also so good. I'm really enjoying this show so far. Bummed its half way over. My co worker constantly tells me I need to watch clone wars and these Disney plus shows really make me want too. I just need to find the time. 

• Love 5
(edited)
23 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

It also did a lot more for Anakin’s personality and relationship with Padme. Don’t get me wrong, the red flags were still there *coughCloviscough* but he had more charisma and swagger and overall lighter moments than the movies let him have.

Also approve and accept the canon that Obi-Wan knew about them was discreet about it; he never sounded the least bit surprised that Padme was pregnant and knew automatically Anakin was the father.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 1
  • Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, norcalgal said:

Preach sistah! I've got shelves full of OG EU books and comic books, so obviously I invested time/money on the OG EU just to see the majority of it swept away (smart of Disney to keep Thrawn though).

I had a lot of the books also, but they did not make it to Florida with me.  And movies, I think the only thing I have left is the soundtrack cds.

Edited by jennifer6973
Add another word
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I'm in tears hoping for flashbacks or force visions of Anakin ans Obi-Wan and it has nothing to do with the movies. Clone Wars and Rebels really developed Anakin through his relationships with Obi-Wan and Ahsoka.

If I get a Snips/Skyguy or Ahsoka/Obi-Wan reunion in this series or Ahsoka I will probably turn into a blubbering mess and that has everything to do with the animated series which really made me care about Anakin.

Where are we in the timeline at this episode vis a vis what Ahsoka would have going on that they'd cross paths? I know it's ten years after ROTS here. I mean, I'm all in on her showing up. If she's not bounty hunting with Ventress still (my dream canon not actually true).

• Love 1
1 hour ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Where are we in the timeline at this episode vis a vis what Ahsoka would have going on that they'd cross paths? I know it's ten years after ROTS here. I mean, I'm all in on her showing up. If she's not bounty hunting with Ventress still (my dream canon not actually true).

Based on Rebels she might be Fulcrum at this point so it's possible.  I think I have a better shot at Ghost Anakin/Ahsoka in her series. 

4 hours ago, jennifer6973 said:

haven't watched most of the Disney expanded universe, I got mad they erased most of what I enjoyed about OG EU

I like to pretend it hasn't been erased...the EU is my Star Wars, plus Clone Wars, Rebels and a few other shows. Basically I ignore the Sequel Trilogy 😆

• Love 1

Well while it seems that even though Disney wanted to get rid of the old EU. Most of the people behind the shows keep trying to bring in parts of the EU into canon when they can. The last two episodes hinting at old EU characters in canon. First last episode the boy who was being smuggled out with his mother was named Corran. Then apparently if you look very closely the names of Djinn Altis, Roganda Ismaren and Valin Halcyon were on the walls. 

Also seems they have read old scripts or the novelizations of the movies because as mentioned in previous post the idea of Obi Wan having a brother is almost a shout out to the original idea of Owen being his brother. Then you can also take Leia asking if Obi Wan was her father as a bit of a nod to in the novelization of ROTS there are rumors going around of Padme being involved with a Jedi and Palpatine even tells Anakin of this but lets him know that people think it is Obi Wan because he was caught going in and leaving her place a few different times early in the morning. Of course Obi Wan is only there to talk to her about Anakin. 

In the first episode I wasn’t a fan of the one scene with Obi wan meeting up with the fugitive Jedi because of how dark the scene was. however, the darkness with the scene with Vader really worked as it gave more emphasis to the horror feeling that Obi Wan must be going through. Vader lighting his saber nearly made me jump. 

I have to wonder if kidnapping Leia personally is going to be the proverbial death knell for Reva.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Oh, Reva is going down. Kenobi is going to get his groove back and they're going to be saying his name. There's not really much of a greater motivation than the Skywalker child that he figuratively delivered and literally murderous Vader on their heels. No way he's going to let Vader know who she really is.  

4 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Based on Rebels she might be Fulcrum at this point so it's possible. 

I don't think she is yet, but it's got to be close. I think Organa would tip us off maybe not showing her but like a throwaway line. 

• Love 2
On 6/1/2022 at 4:35 AM, raven said:

Though the scenes are well done, the Vader/Obi-Wan fight lacks any real tension; I'm just curious as to how Obi-Wan will get out of it.

I was thinking the same thing through that whole fight. It’s hard to get truly invested when you know the future of both combatants.

• Love 2
On 6/3/2022 at 12:30 PM, jennifer6973 said:

So am I. There were so many great stories. One of my favorites is Anakin showing up as Force Ghost to apologize to Leia in the Truce at Bakura. She doesn't accept but it was a nice scene.

On 6/3/2022 at 2:29 PM, Morrigan2575 said:

So do I. I love the Clone Wars and Rebels. They did such a good job fleshing out Anakin and Obi Wan's friendship, Anakin and Padme's marriage, and Ahsoka and Anakin. Obi Wan having a love interest but chose to stay with the Jedi. It was a great contrast to Anakin and Padme but it wasn't an easy decision for Obi Wan especially when he worked with Satine. Along with the clone troopers and to my surprise Maul.

• Love 2
On 6/1/2022 at 6:03 PM, bunnyblue said:

Ewan continues to be phenomenal as Obi-Wan and for his performance alone I wish this series was longer. 

I find I'm riveted. But I'm also really hoping Ben rediscovers his strength of will somewhere. I can forgive a lot in this show, it seems, if I can watch McGregor work.

This was a very compelling episode, and the pacing seemed better than in the previous episode. Vader does seem even more cruel than usual. His irrational hatred of Kenobi has clearly cooled a lot by the time of ANH, if the nastiest burn (see what I did there?) he can muster when they meet again is "Your powers are weak, old man."

What page number is "You should have killed me when you had the chance!" in the Evil Overlord Handbook? I forget. (It was kind of fun to see Darth Vader get his Magneto on there.)

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Kirbyrun said:

I'm really enjoying the show so far, and Part III was great, but... "When I left you, I was but the learner..." has gone right out the window, hasn't it?

Kind of went out the window with the prequels since Anakin never left Obi-Wan, Obi-Wan abandoned Anakin to die. 

Metaphorically I think it still works since Obi-Wan will most likely beat Vader in this series...

• Love 2

Given how literally everyone knows the iconic line, TPTBs I would think would do their best to give it more context and meaning. At the time of A New Hope even Lucas didn't know how Vader got in the suit. 

• Like 2
(edited)
4 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Kind of went out the window with the prequels since Anakin never left Obi-Wan, Obi-Wan abandoned Anakin to die. 

Metaphorically I think it still works since Obi-Wan will most likely beat Vader in this series...

The "left" part, yeah. But the "I was but the learner" still seemed accurate.

I suppose Ben could totally spank Vader at the end of this series and then we could have a moment of Vader reflecting how he still has much to learn. This would serve to bridge between the ultra-violent, brutal Vader of the series and the calmer Vader of the original movie. 🤷‍♂️

ETA: It occurs to me that Vader's line in ANH could also be referring to when he left Obi-Wan to cleave to Palpatine. So less of "The last time I saw you, I was the student (in a lava pit)" and more "When I decided to throw in with the bad guys, I still had a lot to learn, but now I'm going to kick your ass."

Edited by Kirbyrun
  • Like 2
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, Kirbyrun said:

I suppose Ben could totally spank Vader at the end of this series and then we could have a moment of Vader reflecting how he still has much to learn. This would serve to bridge between the ultra-violent, brutal Vader of the series and the calmer Vader of the original movie. 🤷‍♂️

That's a great thought -- let's hope they're going in that direction.

I found the whole Vader-on-a-throne thing jarring. He clearly reports directly to the Emperor starting with The Empire Strikes Back, but in Star Wars (I’m old and refuse to call it anything else), Tarkin was calling the shots. Vader was strong and definitely a player, but there was a clear chain of command implied: he backs down when Tarkin orders him to, and Leia even comments on him holding Vader’s leash).

The Vader in this episode seems to have a lot more autonomy than I would expect given that history. 

3 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

I found the whole Vader-on-a-throne thing jarring. He clearly reports directly to the Emperor starting with The Empire Strikes Back, but in Star Wars (I’m old and refuse to call it anything else), Tarkin was calling the shots. Vader was strong and definitely a player, but there was a clear chain of command implied: he backs down when Tarkin orders him to, and Leia even comments on him holding Vader’s leash).

The Vader in this episode seems to have a lot more autonomy than I would expect given that history. 

Maybe Tarkin becomes his leash holder, because he gets to powerful for the Chancellor's taste.

Right now they're also still hunting Jedi. All the inquisitors are Force sensitive at the least, so you can't really have Tarkin being in charge there. Order 66 is a finite project so it would stand to reason by A New Hope, they're all gone, and they need a new position for Vader. Tarkin has been ostensibly in charge of the Death Star project since the end of ROTS. Also maybe Palpatine underestimates Vader over this time period and tightens the leash. Or Vader seriously screws up. 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Right now they're also still hunting Jedi. All the inquisitors are Force sensitive at the least, so you can't really have Tarkin being in charge there. Order 66 is a finite project so it would stand to reason by A New Hope, they're all gone, and they need a new position for Vader. Tarkin has been ostensibly in charge of the Death Star project since the end of ROTS. Also maybe Palpatine underestimates Vader over this time period and tightens the leash. Or Vader seriously screws up. 

Taking to the speculation thread...

39 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Right now they're also still hunting Jedi. All the inquisitors are Force sensitive at the least

Sorry, I haven't encountered too many Inquisitors in the EU (which it seems you need to have some familiarity with when watching Obi-Wan)...but what is the rationale for Force sensitive people to allow themselves to be used as tools to hunt/kill their fellow Force sensitives?  Is it akin to some Jews collaborating with Nazis so those Jews escape punishment/get preferential treatment?