Type keyword(s) to search

Unprisoned - General Discussion

• Start Topic

A relationship therapist and single mom has her life turned right-side-up when her dad gets out of prison and moves in with her and her teenage son.  Stars Kerry Washington and Delroy Lindo.

UnPrisoned is an 8 episode half-hour comedy with all the episodes streaming on March 10, 2023 on Hulu. The TV Series was inspired by the life of Tracy McMillan. It is a story about the life of a messy but perfectionist relationship therapist and single mom whose life is turned right-side-up when her dad gets out of prison and moves in with her and her teenage son.

Delroy Lindo plays Edwin "Eddie" Alexander, Paige’s father who was recently released from prison after serving 17 years for selling drugs.
Screen-Shot-2023-01-14-at-3.08.17-PM.png

Kerry Washington plays Paige Alexander, a marriage and family therapist, influencer and mom to 16-year-old Finn. 

Marque Richardson plays Mal, the caseworker at the group home from which Edwin has been released. 

Faly Rakotohavana plays Finn, a super-logical gamer, low-key, but hilarious, sweet, smart and hyper-rational.  Finn is open hearted and open-minded toward his grandfather, and their relationship becomes a bridge home for Edwin — and a bridge into the world for Finn. 

Jordyn McIntosh plays Little Paige. Seven-year-old Little Paige is the personification of grown-up Paige’s Inner Child, she’s the part of Paige untouched by everything that has happened in her life — losing her mother, foster care, a dad in prison. She shows up regularly, speaking directly to us (and to Paige) with a hilarious and incisive wisdom of the all-knowing child.

• Like 1
On 2/22/2023 at 3:34 PM, AnimeMania said:

Jordyn McIntosh plays Little Paige. Seven-year-old Little Paige is the personification of grown-up Paige’s Inner Child, she’s the part of Paige untouched by everything that has happened in her life — losing her mother, foster care, a dad in prison. She shows up regularly, speaking directly to us (and to Paige) with a hilarious and incisive wisdom of the all-knowing child.

I saw some ads for this, but didnt see any parts about this! What an interesting twist. This looks like it would be good, I will make note to watch.

• Like 1

UnPrisoned       March 10      Hulu    

Episodes 1-8    Titles and Descriptions

Spoiler

S01.E01: Repetition Compulsion
6882c328-aea9-436a-bfd8-ce7b0255bf38?bas
Straight off a 17-year stint in federal prison, Edwin Alexander crashes back into the lives of his daughter Paige, and her teenage son, Finn – just as Paige is attempting to achieve her lifelong dream of buying her
own home.

S01.E02: How to be a Main Bitch
fec33b15-17ec-4eeb-af77-8b7e611178b3?bas
Paige moves into her new house, but Edwin complicates her life at every turn – especially her relationship with her boyfriend. Meanwhile, Edwin enlists Finn’s help to get a job.

S01.E03: Are You My Mother Wound?
8fb21e5c-38fc-4acb-9b82-3a3bee76a229?bas
Having her dad back in her life forces Paige to confront her “mother wound” – which leads to the ultimate housewarming dinner that devolves into a fierce competition for her love. 

S01.E04: In Dad We Trust
df05d8d9-2863-4cc2-834a-bc031022c755?bas
Paige begins a promising new relationship, but her daddy issues keep threatening to get in the way. Meanwhile, Edwin makes a bold decision around making money that will impact the entire family.  

S01.E05: F**K Normal
e6184dbe-d564-427f-8e7c-582ac3d9e013?bas
Paige just wants to be normal and tries to prove it by hosting a party for a co-worker, but things don’t go exactly as planned. Meanwhile, Edwin’s new business venture turns him into a hero.

S01.E06: Nigresence
ffcef04d-994d-4b62-a09c-eb0606bcf918?bas
Paige, Edwin, and Finn take a trip to their ancestral home in rural Alabama, where there’s much more going on than meets the eye.

S01.E07: Unavailably Available
ee6f7e4e-f0ea-4a05-a7c3-25f3c830cb3d?bas
Paige is sent spiraling after getting a devastating piece of news on the biggest professional day of her life. Meanwhile, Edwin’s is on the cusp of a big new business venture, but his past is threatening to take it all away from him.

S01.E08: It's About Who You Want to Be
fe149e27-8afa-4417-b84d-0e1af9217167?bas
Paige battles her conscience, Finn battles his mother, and Edwin battles the system in the season finale that could change everything for the Alexander family.

Looking for something a little light I've watched 5 tonight and I'm really liking it!

I often ask myself "do you want to be right, or do you want to be helpful?" so I appreciated her Dad saying "do you want to be right or do you want to be free?". Freedom, and what that means to you, is a strong theme.

• Like 1

Love the dynamic between Edwin and his grandson. Am glad they didn’t make Finn the typical TV teen jerk. He’s a sweet boy.

I like Little Paige more than the adult Paige. She’s fierce and spunky! 😆

B8A9F284-0922-4139-BD84-83E44BE41209.jpeg

7659705D-2AD5-44E9-A485-C0CE13F44937.jpeg

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
  • Like 1
13 hours ago, Johnny Dollar said:

Sue Ellen Mischke is still a bra less wonder.

I like the leads, although they could make Kerry’s character less needy and gullible. 

I didn’t watch Seinfeld so I had to look that up, but I recognized her right away. 

I love the dress Paige wore on her date in episode 2. Kerry Washington is gorgeous but her hair style isn’t doing it for me. I like her son’s hair style a lot. Maybe it’s the color? I do like the relationship with Paige and her foster sister, gives her a good person to play off of and I hope it means she doesn’t lean too much on her son.

Who put that horrible wig on television? 

I checked out when her son didn't know who Richard Wright was.  I know busy parents don't always have time to supplement their kids' education but that's heinous. This show feels like it was written by people who use "woke" as a pejorative. 

This show could be silly fun if I didn't feel like it was making fun of me.

Edited by Adgirl

I loved the premise of this, but Kerry Washington's character is just too annoying. I might just skip ahead to the last episode to see what happens. Or I know this is based on a true story, so I might look into the book or whatever instead.

I do love all the beauty shots of Minneapolis and shout outs to the area though.

On 3/14/2023 at 7:33 PM, Adgirl said:

Who put that horrible wig on television? 

I checked out when her son didn't know who Richard Wright was.  I know busy parents don't always have time to supplement their kids' education but that's heinous. This show feels like it was written to trigger those who use "woke" as a pejorative. 

This show could be silly fun if I didn't feel like TPTB who wrote and greenlit it wasn't insulting my life experience and beliefs.

I'm willing to bet a lot of people, let alone teenagers don't know Richard Wright.  Regardless of color or ethnicity 

• Like 2
On 3/16/2023 at 9:36 PM, Scarlett45 said:

image.thumb.jpeg.3b49db3794e99b6ec658a9095fe33344.jpegI love this blouse!

I am loving the work Delroy Lindo is doing with this part. He feels very realistic, I know a number of black men of his generation with similar personalities. 

I also respect Delroys work. I still think of him as Satchell Paige from Soul of the Game.  

But I have to agree with most. As much as I like Kerry Washington her character appears to have a  together professional life on the surface but a total flake as an individual.  Hence her little girl inner voice come to life on screen to show us her inner conflicts

Maybe I'm a little fuddy Diddy but I'm never a fan of such young a performer using choice curse words.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Kirkydee said:

I also respect Delroys work. I still think of him as Satchell Paige from Soul of the Game.  

But I have to agree with most. As much as I like Kerry Washington her character appears to have a  together professional life on the surface but a total flake as an individual.  Hence her little girl inner voice come to life on screen to show us her inner conflicts

Maybe I'm a little fuddy Diddy but I'm never a fan of such young a performer using choice curse words.  

Are we surprised Paige is like this though? I kind of like that’s she’s a neurotic mess, it shows a vulnerability we often don’t get to see of black women on screen.

Also can we blame her? It’s clear she was lucky in many ways (even with her father in prison the girlfriend did meet her basic needs-foster care can be hellish, and she escaped that) but the mind trip it must’ve been (and still is), that her father did love & care about her but wouldn’t keep himself out of prison so he could be there to raise and protect her. He kept going back! And she never knew her bio mom- so it’s not as if her father knew she was safe with her mother.

I think these character flaws make her relatable. 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I think these character flaws make her relatable. 

She does love her dad.  They could have written it as he has to win her love back. They could have also written her dad as wrongfully convicted in order to make him a good guy.  Guess what?  Sometimes people who have committed crimes and done time for those crimes are good people. They made a mistakes and paid for those mistakes.  So I like that they are not following TV tropes.

I loved her dad explaining to her if her boyfriend was telling her everything he doesn't really care about her.  If he lies to you then that means there are things he doesn't want you to know so he really cares about you.  There is truth in what he said.  And I know this from personal experience.

• Like 1

I loved this. Normally, I find Kerry Washington's mannerisms really annoying and I did here lol but it didn't keep me from liking the character. I just thought this was a really nice watch. I hope it gets renewed but I haven't really seen much about it so I figure it won't.

• Like 1

I finally finished- I thought this was funny. I’d like another season, but it’s gotten no buzz. It’s pretty cheap to make though and the characters are fun. 

Yeah Paige is damaged, who wouldn’t be in that position. And I understood her anger that visiting the prison was the one thing she never wanted her son to experience. 

• Like 1
On 3/13/2023 at 8:28 PM, Scarlett45 said:

2. Kerry Washington is gorgeous but her hair style isn’t doing it for me. I like her son’s hair style a lot. Maybe it’s the color?

I liked her hair.  I appreciated her attempt at showing a natural hairstyle and texture on a black woman.   Something we don’t see near enough.  

I enjoyed the show and hope they bring it back.   So many stories left to be told with these characters.   Also hoping for an Emmy nod for Delroy. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, After7Only said:

I liked her hair.  I appreciated her attempt at showing a natural hairstyle and texture on a black woman.   Something we don’t see near enough.  

I enjoyed the show and hope they bring it back.   So many stories left to be told with these characters.   Also hoping for an Emmy nod for Delroy. 

I agree that we don’t see it nearly enough. I have had natural hair my entire life, so I did enjoy that she and her son were natural but I think the color was throwing me. Maybe it was too brassy? (The highlights)

Delroy is really talented. 

• Like 1
On 3/12/2023 at 12:08 AM, snarktini said:

I often ask myself "do you want to be right, or do you want to be helpful?" so I appreciated her Dad saying "do you want to be right or do you want to be free?". Freedom, and what that means to you, is a strong theme.

I just finished episode 3.  I disagreed with Edwin about the bolded for a few reasons. One, I don't think he'd be pushing for forgiveness if he wasn't involved with Nadine. Two, life and emotions are often not a clear binary.  Three, Paige has a right to boundaries, and if she didn't want Nadine in HER house at that time, it's her right.  Edwin inviting her was out of line.  It all worked out in the end, but in the context of that scene from episode 3, Paige didn't come off unreasonable to me.   

The Little Paige actress is a gem.  The cursing unnerved me too, but she's nailing it all the same. 

This show manages to be fun while dealing with some heavy themes.    

• Like 1
3 hours ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

I just finished episode 3.  I disagreed with Edwin about the bolded for a few reasons. One, I don't think he'd be pushing for forgiveness if he wasn't involved with Nadine. Two, life and emotions are often not a clear binary.  Three, Paige has a right to boundaries, and if she didn't want Nadine in HER house at that time, it's her right.  Edwin inviting her was out of line.  It all worked out in the end, but in the context of that scene from episode 3, Paige didn't come off unreasonable to me.   

The Little Paige actress is a gem.  The cursing unnerved me too, but she's nailing it all the same. 

This show manages to be fun while dealing with some heavy themes.    

Oh, I didn't think Paige was unreasonable at all! I just think it's a useful question. She shouldn't give up her boundaries or even redraw them. But she can consider if there is anything within herself she can make peace with because old wounds can eat you up. (And maybe there isn't, that's okay too.)

• Like 1

Binged this over the weekend and absolutely LOVED it. I really hope this will come back for a second season. 

I love Kerry but the MVP here for me is 100% Delroy Lindo. I've seen him in probably 100 movies and tv shows but he is just so wildly charismatic in this role. I too hope he isn't forgotten come Emmy time. I particularly loved the evolution of his relationship with Finn. 

And little Paige is a star. I just love her. 

• Like 2

Binged the rest of the episodes, this was a great series. It reminded me of The Last Days of Ptolemy Grey in that it's flying under the radar with a stellar cast.  Great storytelling without much fluff, perfect for the streaming world we live.  I'd like to see a second season for sure, if it's renewed.  

On 3/22/2023 at 5:23 PM, peachmangosteen said:

Normally, I find Kerry Washington's mannerisms really annoying and I did here lol but it didn't keep me from liking the character.

Yes, her acting style worked really well in this role.  I feel if it was a different actress, I'd have disliked her.  She was the anchor in the story, and she was great, IMO. 

20 hours ago, snarktini said:

Oh, I didn't think Paige was unreasonable at all! I just think it's a useful question. She shouldn't give up her boundaries or even redraw them. But she can consider if there is anything within herself she can make peace with because old wounds can eat you up. (And maybe there isn't, that's okay too.)

Agree, and the viewers see her wrestle with her past, how it informed her present, and becoming increasingly self-aware.  The pacing was well done, it all felt organic and unrushed. 

• Like 2

In the last episode, Jee Young Han (the sister) was amazing.  It's rare to see a well written tv show with so many outstanding actors - Delroy was stellar throughout, and Little Paige and Faly Rakotohavana were wonderful.  I'm not much of a Kerry Washington fan, but she's doing a good job in this role.  I hope this show gets picked up somewhere for another season, but it seemed to have been overlooked unfortunately.

• Like 1