Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E02 I Took Things a Little Too Far

• Start Topic

(edited)

Micah meets with Max to get to the bottom of Max and Moriah's breakup. The divide between Kim and Barry quickly grows, leaving the future uncertain. Moriah opens up to her family about her breakup.

Edited by gingerella
9 minutes ago, gingerella said:

I Took Things a Little Too Far. Micah meets with Max to get to the bottom of Max and Moriah's breakup. The divide between Kim and Barry quickly grows, leaving the future uncertain. Moriah opens up to her family about her breakup.

I still don't care about Kim and Barry's midlife crisis. Did I miss what Max did wrong? He said he was with his male friend and ... kissed his girlfriend? 🤷‍♂️ 

30 minutes ago, Boston said:

I don't know if i'm on the right topic.  I figured Max got some chick pregnant.  But.. nooooo.. he KISSED A GIRL.  Are we living in the '50s???? OMG.. for shame.  These people are so stunted.  They make me sick. (and they're 19 years old.. give ma a f'n break. Wait til real life comes for ya)

OK, so I didn't miss something! 

• Love 6
(edited)

Wow---I thought Max murdered someone or was caught molesting a 6 year old boy by the histrionics of Moriah.  A girl kissed him and he stopped it. He was mature enough to willingly fess up when she may have never even found out about it!  Even if Max is sugarcoating his story a little it still isn't that terrible.  Yes it sucks and Moriah has every right to dump him if that is her wish, but come on.  She's been moping around for months now over a kiss?  If THIS devastates you that much you are in for a world of hurt, honey.  And for Micah to act like Max is a horrible person now...give me a break!

Edited by Joan van Snark
  • Love 10

I've always found Lydia disturbing. I think Moriah, for all her immaturity, has a good read on something being off with Lydia, and is wise to guard herself around her. Lydia has all the creepiest aspects of each parent. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 22
36 minutes ago, Chicken Fingers said:

I've always found Lydia disturbing. I think Moriah, for all her immaturity, has a good read on something being off with Lydia, and is wise to guard herself around her. Lydia has all the creepiest aspects of each parent. 

I think Lydia has always been interested in Max and is hoping to make her move now that he isn't with Moriah.  And I think Moriah suspects that.

• Love 14

I’m starting to think that this show is really scripted. Ethan quits his job because he’s doing this show now . Nobody was interested in seeing Kim home with the kids so she’s got a dance studio now and Barry has to learn to do household chores. Moriah and Max breakup was over the top and dragged out for a storyline . Reality tv is almost never very good for those who participate. 

• Love 8

Kim set up Barry so he can talk about how put upon Kim is but the kids do all the work.  We see you. Redemption arc not working.  It’s pretty sad Barry can’t open up a sachet of taco mix…

Max, what was the other girl wearing?  Moriah needs to take her red makeup bag (with maybe 1/4 of the makeup) and find a new one.  Listen to Micah.  Max creeped me out, but they’ll probably get back together.

@Chicken Fingers Have to agree, Lydia creeps me out too. What sister asks to keep hanging out with your ex?  

• Love 6
(edited)

While it seems like Moriah and Micah and their family's response to Moriah and Max breaking up is way OTP, it makes sense if you think about the social norms this family has lived under. These kids grew up thinking that once you date someone you are committed to marrying them, and I doubt divorce was ever discussed either so to them Date = Marriage Forever. And si ce they were raised with no sex before marriage, hell no hand holding or being alone before marriage, so I get why to Moriah and Micah kissing another person is egregious. If these people grew up in normal society this would probably be a mole hill and not a mountain, but they are woefully unprepared for life out here in the real world.

It's sad how damaged Moriah is. She dresses like a cheap methhead-level prostitute and thinks it's her rebelling. She cannot see hiw she is presenting herself and degrading herself. She erodes her own self esteem, it's fucking sad.

Ethan is also damaged emotionally but at least he is trying to move forward. I don't k own what he'd be doing if he hadn't married, at least his wife tries to live in the real world and assimilate. I have hope for them but he has to get a fucking job.

Micah is lovely and seems to be the only older sibling who isn't struggling. He has a light spirit and is so open to everything - new people, new experiences, work opportunities, etc. He will be fine.

Lydia...wow. Wow. WOW. W.O.W. What a clueless asshole she is. Her sister is heartbroken and all she cares about is asking if she can still hang out with Max? AYFKM?!? I loathed her by the end of last season. After tonight? She can fuck right off. 

ETA: I continue to have zero fucks to give about Barry and Cow Cud's marriage.

Edited by gingerella
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10

As a survival mechanism, I've gotten sensitive to weird body language and micro-expressions, and I recognized something--that Lydia looked like she was feasting on Moriah's misery, absorbing it during their hugs, and showing weird little satisfied smirks at inappropriate times as she listened to Moriah talk. And that's not even counting the odd things she said, which may or may not have been scripted. Moriah had her guard up with her the entire time. Lydia is very much the disciple and product of their parents' twisting. 

Moriah does need to stick with Micah. I always found Max creepy too. Let him go figure out his sexuality and act controlling with someone else. 

Every scene with 10-year-old Ethan and artificially jolly Olivia. Ugh.

I laughed watching Kim paddle around the tiny pond in her tiny canoe, thinking Big Thoughts. Barry, we know that the daughters have been trained to do the cooking and chores, so don't get bent out of shape "acting" as if there's a problem. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 12

I think Max is a douchebag. The breakup was probably more about the fight they had afterward and the things he said to Moriah then about him kissing the other girl (which he took no responsibility for, and blamed the other girl). I see him as controlling. I remember him saying some derogatory things about Moriah's clothing last season. He doesn't want Moriah showing any skin. Meanwhile, he's 'acting as a wingman' and flirting with another girl 🙄  Run, Moriah.  Definite 🚩 there. Also, Lydia WTF?? There is definitely something off about that girl. 

• Love 5
38 minutes ago, PlygPigs said:

The breakup was probably more about the fight they had afterward and the things he said to Moriah then about him kissing the other girl (which he took no responsibility for, and blamed the other girl).

Wasn't he acting as "wingman" at his former co-worker's retirement party, so this may have been "a woman."  He kissed a woman!!!  Max will never be the same!!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Barry is a saint...and a sweet and loving father!  I'm happy to have him continue on the show.  FIRE KIM!  Let her take her canoe, her "new body," refinished furniture, and line-dancing lessons to her own show.  She has been the ruination of her children AND her marriage.  There are plenty-o-women who would love to marry a hard-working TV star like Barry.

• Like 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1

I agree with all of you about the creepiness of the girl who can't sing Lydia, it is almost like she took joy in her sisters misery. So this Max really hurt Moriah, yet Lydia wants to hang out with him? If my sister pulled that crap with one of my "ex's" I would have punted her into next week. I think Lydia does like Max and I think Moriah handled it well although I am sure she felt betrayal from her. I also think Lydia would pry that pinky promise ring off Moriah's hand if she could and lock herself in her prayer closest and make some voodoo offering to make Max hers.   

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
(edited)

I can't with Moriah's little quiet whisper voice. Speak up FFS,  and stop crying every time Max's name is mentioned. She is extremely sensitive yet very stubborn. She won't listen to anybody about anything. Girl has issues. Max crying was too much for me, too. Surely he's hoping Moriah saw that segment with him crying to Micah, then  she take him back. Why did he even bother to mention the kiss? It didn't lead to anything and he was remorseful as soon as he did it. Maybe there's more to it than that.....

I'm disappointed in Ethan and Moriah for moving to Tampa and not finding any work. Etan is acting like a bored little child trying to get mommy's attention. I guess if he can't work on his cars he's gonna bug the crap out of Olivia instead. What's Moriah's excuse? She doesn't help clean up the house, she doesn't have a job. She just locks herself in her room and cries. I would kick her out!

I love Micah. I just hope he is taking his modeling career seriously and is actually booking work while he's still young and great looking. He has what it takes. 

I thought Kim was the boss of the family. Now she's trying to portray the obedient wife that was subservient to Barry who ignored her and made to feel less than. Sure, Kim. Remember when there was that big fight in front of the house with Ethan and he said Barry was the head but Kim was the neck that turned the head or some shit like that? Kim ruled that family, screwed up those kids and now she wants her freedom. I'm not buying it!  

Lydia- Kim #2. 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
(edited)

Ethan had two jobs but had to quit for Olivia’s dream of moving to Tampa. She also posts on Instagram that they are constantly traveling ( recently in Paris and Jamaica I believe). I assume they are living off the show for now but that won’t last. Kim’s crises seems manufactured and I don’t care about her at all.

Lydia seems like a boy crazy farmer’s daughter cliche who will pounce on any available male. It seemed obvious Moriah is really hurt and I feel she is the most emotionally damaged of the Plaths and hope she can find peace. She looks very, very thin and I’m not sure how well she is coping with the move.

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Love 4

When Max was recounting his harrowing 50 Shades of Beige tale to Micah, I thought for sure he was about to confess that he hooked up with that guy. “You know the guy I work for, right? Well, he’s a lot older than me and he invited me over to his place and um…” 

I was pointing at the television like, “I knew it!” 

Moriah at 19 thinking there’s no other guy in the world who can take the place of this doofy boy she thinks is her soulmate. I think we’ve all been there. And we all wish we could go back and shake some sense into our 19 year old selves. Unfortunately for her, this footage is forever.

Potato chip lips Barry fathered nearly a dozen children, but has to look to his young daughter to cook some freaking taco meat? How do you not know how to feed your kids, sir?

Lydia. WTF? Why is she texting her sister’s boyfriend? Why is she trying to hang out with him without her sister? She looks at Max like an older brother, but she already has two older brothers. What a whack a doodle. No wonder she hangs out with the Rodrigues family. 

• Love 11

Ethan’s immaturity would drive me crazy!

And Max’s story… friend much older, retirement party, trying to play wingman… how old was this woman that kissed him? The whole story doesn’t make much sense. And the only person who could corroborate it is the much older friend? What kind of party was this, with only the 3 people?? 

• Love 7

Okay, I'm just going to say it, I wish TLC had a tell all reunion episode where someone asked all the questions we have here.

They could ask:

1. Kim, Why is it okay to wear your season 4 clothes when you previously preached modesty?
  2. Kim, Why did you page around an empty journal?
  3. Kim, Why did you make spaghetti 10 days out of 20?
  4. Barry and Kim, Why did you say Olivia is filled with evil spirits?
  5. Barry, Are you in on Kim's attempts to improve her reputation through this unhappy marriage storyline?
  6. Max, Are you attracted to Micah?
  7. Micah, Are you attracted to Max?
  8. Lydia, Why are you interested in Moriah's ex?  Has god revealed him to be your husband?
  9. Ethan and Olivia, if you had a redo would you still marry each other?
  10. All, How are you investing your money for a post series life?
  • Applause 3
  • Love 7

I miss the stoic, depressed Ethan. This out-of-work, attention-seeking, bitcoin 'investing' Ethan is like that 8yo boy that you used to  babysit and always asked yourself "WHY in the hell did I do this to myself?" after you accepted the job.

The music behind the Kim and Barry talking heads is hilarious, like we're supposed to actually care what's coming out of their mouths. You made your bed, Kim. You did this to yourself and we're laughing at your attempts to garner sympathy.

Max, you're the world's worst wingman, and probably the dumbest person on this show (which is saying a LOT). You admit the kiss but thump your chest and proudly proclaim how awesome it was that you didn't "let it get too far." That begs the question - how 'far' is 'too far'? Also, how old was the woman he kissed if his coworker is significantly older than Max? Actually, no. I don't want to know.

Lydia, you're gross. You ask if it's OK to invite Max to "a group of friends" so you can all hang out? No. And then you talk about how your heart's been all 'tied up' ... but it's not now, so l guess it's totally OK to ask if you can hang out with Max. I know from first-hand experience that there are not many single guys in Cairo, but come the fuck on.

Love the close-up on Barry's hand without the wedding ring. Mmmm hmmm, Barry, we see you! 😂😂

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

So that’s it?  He kissed an older woman?

They left us hanging on for a whole week for THAT????

Even the little chubby gal, forget her name, had a boyfriend that got another woman preggers and had a baby. 

That’s what I was looking forward to!

21 hours ago, PlygPigs said:

I think Max is a douchebag. The breakup was probably more about the fight they had afterward and the things he said to Moriah then about him kissing the other girl (which he took no responsibility for, and blamed the other girl). I see him as controlling. I remember him saying some derogatory things about Moriah's clothing last season. He doesn't want Moriah showing any skin. Meanwhile, he's 'acting as a wingman' and flirting with another girl 🙄  Run, Moriah.  Definite 🚩 there. Also, Lydia WTF?? There is definitely something off about that girl. 

In one fell swoop, Max betrayed the friend he was being wingman for and Moriah. 
Yes to the Lydia was creepy last night. She also kind of makes me cringe when she's singing songs to God by herself anyway. There's really nothing wrong with it, but given there are cameras it seems so insincere. She's not Maria in Sound of Music.

3 hours ago, charmed1 said:

Moriah at 19 thinking there’s no other guy in the world who can take the place of this doofy boy she thinks is her soulmate. I think we’ve all been there. And we all wish we could go back and shake some sense into our 19 year old selves. Unfortunately for her, this footage is forever.

Someone should play Chris Rea's song, "Fool If You Think It's Over" for her.

• Love 3

How I wish Moriah would have grown some balls and told Lydia that it does bother her to continue to buddy up with her ex and please don't do it. She has no problem dying her hair purple and wearing trash clothes to be different but she can't speak up!

I noticed when Kim was hugging Moriah and Lydia was hugging her she had her wrists clenched in a fist as if she's afraid to touch them. She's a really weird chick. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Even the little chubby gal, forget her name, had a boyfriend that got another woman preggers and had a baby. 

Moriah lives in two worlds!

One with purple hair, red lipstick and revealing clothing. 

The other a little girl voice afraid of offending others and afraid of her own shadow. 

I hope she’s using some of her reality tv money on getting some therapy so she can live a happy life and not be so sad all the time. 

21 hours ago, lightninggirl said:

Lydia, you're gross. You ask if it's OK to invite Max to "a group of friends" so you can all hang out? No. And then you talk about how your heart's been all 'tied up' ... but it's not now, so l guess it's totally OK to ask if you can hang out with Max. I know from first-hand experience that there are not many single guys in Cairo, but come the fuck on.

This is the short-story version of why Child Protective Services should have been called to help "normalize" this family YEARS AGO.  These people don't know how to operate in today's society--or even that of the 1950s.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
21 hours ago, Ms.Lulu said:

Lydia, Why are you interested in Moriah's ex?  Has god revealed him to be your husband?

Ms. Lulu ...  Best one of all!   If there IS a God, I hope She will reveal the answer here before next season!

• Love 2
(edited)
On 5/25/2022 at 2:19 AM, gingerella said:

While it seems like Moriah and Micah and their family's response to Moriah and Max breaking up is way OTP, it makes sense if you think about the social norms this family has lived under. These kids grew up thinking that once you date someone you are committed to marrying them, and I doubt divorce was ever discussed either so to them Date = Marriage Forever. And si ce they were raised with no sex before marriage, hell no hand holding or being alone before marriage, so I get why to Moriah and Micah kissing another person is egregious. If these people grew up in normal society this would probably be a mole hill and not a mountain, but they are woefully unprepared for life out here in the real world.

I laughed my way through this whole episode.  Sure these kids were raised whack-a-doo, but Moriah has been out of the compound for a while now and has been exposed to all kinds of normal life.

I believe carrying on like that over a kiss was fake.  I think Max did something worse that they are unwilling to expose on tv.  I do not believe Moriah would go nuts over a kiss.

And when are people going to listen to me--it is not necessary or in 99% of cases desirable to "confess" transactions that your partner is unlikely to find out about?  I'm not talking about concealing an affair; I'm talking about a one-time slip-up that doesn't really change anything in your relationship if you don't tell.  "Confessing" is a shitty thing to do, designed to make the transgressor feel better and doing nothing at all for the wounded party other than making  him/her feel really really bad.

I am extremely old so you can trust me on this one.  Just keep your damn mouth shut.

Otherwise, another hilarious episode.

Edited by Mothra
  • Like 1
  • Love 9
On 5/25/2022 at 1:19 AM, gingerella said:

It's sad how damaged Moriah is. She dresses like a cheap methhead-level prostitute and thinks it's her rebelling. She cannot see hiw she is presenting herself and degrading herself. She erodes her own self esteem, it's fucking sad.

It’s so true.  I don’t get it, why is she trying to look like a meth-head?

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

It’s so true.  I don’t get it, why is she trying to look like a meth-head?

But wait:  Moriah knows that (some) women/girls dress this way, yet she doesn't know that boys kiss girls?

The Plaths totally missed the boat on becoming Duggars 2.0.  For one thing, that whore Kim and her makeup!  Can you imagine Ofjimbob  in (gulp) mascara?  Oh well--grifters gotta grift.

For the record, I agree with those who raise an eyebrow at "a much older co-worker" and "wingman."  My bet is on the love that still dares not speak its name among this crowd.  And I know Max has been upset over Moriah's sluttish appearance for a long time, and I'm sure that's been an underlying source of discontent--but the wailing and "I can't talk about it it's so awful" and MEN CRYING?!! over a fucking KISS?

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 5/26/2022 at 11:44 PM, Chicken Fingers said:

LOL. When an older man of retirement age asks a handsome young man to be his wingman, do we really even know what it means? 

On Reddit people were speculating that the older man and woman he was interested in was actually a couple and swingers too looking for some young man 😃

On 5/26/2022 at 7:00 PM, Jeanne222 said:

Sorry what show is this? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, FizzyPuff said:

On Reddit people were speculating that the older man and woman he was interested in was actually a couple and swingers too looking for some young man 😃

Sorry what show is this? 

Sounds like Whitney Thore. I don't remember the show's name, something like My Big Fat Fabulous Life?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Sounds like Whitney Thore. I don't remember the show's name, something like My Big Fat Fabulous Life?

Oh yes I’ve seen a few episodes of that show. 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, FizzyPuff said:

Sorry what show is this? 

MBFFL!

• Love 1
On 5/24/2022 at 11:16 PM, Joan van Snark said:

Wow---I thought Max murdered someone or was caught molesting a 6 year old boy by the histrionics of Moriah.  A girl kissed him and he stopped it. He was mature enough to willingly fess up when she may have never even found out about it!  Even if Max is sugarcoating his story a little it still isn't that terrible.  Yes it sucks and Moriah has every right to dump him if that is her wish, but come on.  She's been moping around for months now over a kiss?  If THIS devastates you that much you are in for a world of hurt, honey.  And for Micah to act like Max is a horrible person now...give me a break!

Omg -that was it? I thought he cheated on her or slapped her or something from their reactions on the adds. I don't watch the show much; i can't tell them apart 🙄

• Love 2
On 5/24/2022 at 11:25 PM, Chicken Fingers said:

As a survival mechanism, I've gotten sensitive to weird body language and micro-expressions, and I recognized something--that Lydia looked like she was feasting on Moriah's misery, absorbing it during their hugs, and showing weird little satisfied smirks at inappropriate times as she listened to Moriah talk. And that's not even counting the odd things she said, which may or may not have been scripted. Moriah had her guard up with her the entire time. Lydia is very much the disciple and product of their parents' twisting. 

Moriah does need to stick with Micah. I always found Max creepy too. Let him go figure out his sexuality and act controlling with someone else. 

Every scene with 10-year-old Ethan and artificially jolly Olivia. Ugh.

I laughed watching Kim paddle around the tiny pond in her tiny canoe, thinking Big Thoughts. Barry, we know that the daughters have been trained to do the cooking and chores, so don't get bent out of shape "acting" as if there's a problem. 

I feel SO robbed not getting to see Kim actually get IN the canoe alone. I understand feeling robbed and lied to about the Max situation, but ther producers have NO right to edit out those few seconds(or was it several minutes?) to get in and or out of her nature-loving ride in a tiny boat. 

• LOL 8
  • Love 2
(edited)

Interesting that in addition to the giant SUV she had last season, Kim also has a car just like Olivia’s. I couldn’t get past the incredibly dull conversation between Kim and Barry about who was going to make dinner. I quit right there.

I loved Ethan and his friend who is a boy riding the electric scooters through the gay pride fountain. I’m confident it went right over Ethan’s head. The fountain was really pretty.

Edited by RedDelicious
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, Mothra said:

I think it's time to Rapture the whole lot of them off my tv (looking at you, god).

I suspect even God finds them too boring to want to spend eternity with them.  

• LOL 6
  • Love 2

I know I am a year late but I just want to say: not surprised Max cheated on Moriah nor that he couldn't own up initially that it was more than just kissing. What I am surprised about is that he didn't cheat on her with a guy. Just putting that out there!

• Like 1
  • LOL 1