Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E22: I'll Be Your Shelter

• Start Topic

One final comment about the last minute roof wedding. How ridiculous is it that after all of the magically appearing flowers are placed just right, Max stands there with his hands folded in front of him looking at the door expecting Helen to walk through them right at that minute?

• Love 2
On 5/25/2022 at 7:13 PM, NeenerNeener said:

A decade or so back the writers for the show Medium announced that the plot of the series finale would be love letter to the fans. In that episode they killed off the (fan favorite) husband of the main character and showed her life as a lonely widow for the next 40 years. I'm always suspicious now when writers announce they're writing "joy" or "love letters". Without exception those episodes have always sucked.

OMG!  I loved Medium so much, but that ending absolutely ruined it for me,  it was a FU to the audience and fans,  love letter my A@#   

I don't ever remember being more disappointed in a series finale,  even Lost,  as ridiculous as it was, didn't bother me as much.

• Love 3

I started watching this and had to stop to stop rolling my eyes. The writers completely murdered Helen and I am only talking about the "previously" when she is giggling like a middle school who is going to a party when Max says they should get married in NY. 

Then the episode opens with the most incompetent and annoying doctor I can remember seeing on medical dramas - Iggy. And he is also the most incompetent and annoying husband it seems. Gosh, the writers must hate their work, or lack total awareness of their abilities. 

Will try again, but ugh!

• Love 3

The whole premise of the episode was so ridiculous, where to begin?

I am late to this and most of the absurdities might have been already pointed out but it is clear the writers have never been through a hurricane. And and major hospital where the person in charge just flees? That's probably a crime under some statute. It was so boring, even if the disaster scenes were better than the ones on shows like 9-1-1. 

I must have been dozing off - what happened to the guy Max was saving after Iggy put on his cape and became the superhero of the day? 

I think someone said it here, that maybe Helen's mom died and she didn't got on the plane, and she couldn't talk to Max because NTY was living Armageddon but if she had sent a text, Max would receive it w-once the towers were functioning agin - which is weird in itself. When hurricanes hit here, cell towers are pretty much the only thing working and power takes a while to be restored. Besides, her text said she would call ASAP, but the wedding was prepared and people changed - it all looked so clean and obviously the Cat 4 hurricane wasn't that bad since the hospital could spare people for a celebration on the roof - private celebration on a public hospital - ok then.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, circumvent said:

The whole premise of the episode was so ridiculous, where to begin?

I am late to this and most of the absurdities might have been already pointed out but it is clear the writers have never been through a hurricane. And and major hospital where the person in charge just flees? That's probably a crime under some statute. It was so boring, even if the disaster scenes were better than the ones on shows like 9-1-1. 

I must have been dozing off - what happened to the guy Max was saving after Iggy put on his cape and became the superhero of the day? 

I think someone said it here, that maybe Helen's mom died and she didn't got on the plane, and she couldn't talk to Max because NTY was living Armageddon but if she had sent a text, Max would receive it w-once the towers were functioning agin - which is weird in itself. When hurricanes hit here, cell towers are pretty much the only thing working and power takes a while to be restored. Besides, her text said she would call ASAP, but the wedding was prepared and people changed - it all looked so clean and obviously the Cat 4 hurricane wasn't that bad since the hospital could spare people for a celebration on the roof - private celebration on a public hospital - ok then.

Guy max saved was on dialysis, that was the last we saw of him

12 hours ago, Puffaroo said:

What the actual hell?

yeah, for a show this bonkers, that episode was definitely off the charts, but it was better than the first half of the season in entertainment value, when it was aggressively boring/bland

• Love 1
4 hours ago, bros402 said:

Guy max saved was on dialysis, that was the last we saw of him

That's what I thought, but wasn't he going to die because there was no power? Did he die? Will he be in dialysis - or connected to the machine - until next season when Max remembers that he left the guy there? This show!

(edited)
On 5/25/2022 at 12:01 AM, LexieLily said:

Right? Does she have an alternate interpreter if Ben has to take a day off, is sick or has personal commitments? Y

Yes there would have been an alternate interpreter available if for whatever reason Ben has to do something or at least has a day off/vacation.

As for staff learning sign...  maybe they did but they're not showing it in the show for some reason (They should)

Source- I'm deaf and familiar with  interpreters.  Actually I'm a little surprised there isn't a team of interpreters as they do need to rotate every 2-3 hours to allow rest and prevent carpal tunnel syndrome.  I'm no doctor or medical personnel so don't know what a day in the life of Dr. Wilder would actually be like in the (so-called) real world outside of tv shows.

Worse, it was implied in many episodes that she can read lips - in surgery other surgeons have special masks so she can see their mouths. I haven't watched yet but they could at least say things to her. Also, did they have phones, where they could type?

Ahh the superpower of reading lips (and I'm surprised the deaf actor went along with it).  She can read lips yes but most times it's a supplemental aid- kind of like a tool... Hearing aids/Cochlear implants aren't magic so some deaf lipread, sign and write (paper or phone). 

At least Dr Wilder was smart enough to write on the wall (graffiti!..) in the stairwell. Not sure why they didn't do the phone back and forth like they did in the All Night Long episode- I was thrilled to see that.

Edited by Ducky
found something else to comment on...
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
19 hours ago, circumvent said:

That's what I thought, but wasn't he going to die because there was no power? Did he die? Will he be in dialysis - or connected to the machine - until next season when Max remembers that he left the guy there? This show!

The power turned back one while he was like "oh no im dyinnnng"

when irl pretty much every portable hospital machine has a battery backup

• Love 1

I’m still not over how selfish Helen was. Instead of just telling Max immediately that her mom died (if that’s what happened), she just says “call me ASAP” and then when they get in touch she just blubbers “I can’t” and then hangs up? They should just mutually break up if that’s how she copes in crisis because she won’t be able to handle any real difficulties once she’s married and a full-fledged stepparent. 

• Love 3

They are trying to create all this drama around Max and Helen, and honestly I am so over them already.   The London thing was ridiculous, Max getting fired every other day was a waste of his talents, and the whole lets get everyone at work to plan the wedding, like on 'the good doctor' (and they did this on ncis too) like don't most normal people have family and friends outside of work? when you consider work your family, you need a better work/life balance.  work is work, you could get laid off for no reason tomorrow.

• Love 4

They did the “coworkers plan a wedding” trope on ER too. Much like NA, ER was just about dead at the time they dragged that out, especially since it was for a miserable main character too. (Have yet to be to an IRL wedding where the bride pouts like a toddler and the groom has to drag her into it.) I think it ended up being the lowest rated episode of the series. 

I get in theory why it’s done but shows with budgets like this should be able to string up guest stars to play non-hospital family and friends. (Although even Max seems to have a strained relationship with his family for reasons they never explained so….) 

This show is never going to convince me that Martin is the problem in the Iggy household.  They've done too good of a job of portraying Iggy as a monster for years. 

My assumption is that Helen's erratic behavior is trauma related -- maybe her getting drugged and having a stroke took a toll on her?  Max should understand as he had that whole trauma response mania going on last season.  Except that's all me fanwanking the stupidity, knowing this show it'll be something super lame. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, yourmomiseasy said:

This show is never going to convince me that Martin is the problem in the Iggy household.  They've done too good of a job of portraying Iggy as a monster for years. 

My assumption is that Helen's erratic behavior is trauma related -- maybe her getting drugged and having a stroke took a toll on her?  Max should understand as he had that whole trauma response mania going on last season.  Except that's all me fanwanking the stupidity, knowing this show it'll be something super lame. 

Yup - I will never see him as the problem, even if he is revealed as a serial killer.

I mean with Helen I could definiteley see this being the result of a TBI, but yeah, the show will just say she is too british to go back to the US because she enjoys her pubs and fish & chips too much

• LOL 4
On 6/2/2022 at 7:11 PM, Cloud9Shopper said:

They did the “coworkers plan a wedding” trope on ER too. Much like NA, ER was just about dead at the time they dragged that out, especially since it was for a miserable main character too. (Have yet to be to an IRL wedding where the bride pouts like a toddler and the groom has to drag her into it.) I think it ended up being the lowest rated episode of the series. 

I get in theory why it’s done but shows with budgets like this should be able to string up guest stars to play non-hospital family and friends. (Although even Max seems to have a strained relationship with his family for reasons they never explained so….) 

I feel like it's common on TV for a woman to be less than enthusiastic about a wedding and/or wedding planning whilst the groom is portrayed as wanting a "perfect wedding" or being a groomzilla. Grey's has pulled this trope several times and I get the idea of reversing gender stereotypes but it so often goes the other way and makes them seem like they have the emotional and communications skills of a toddler. 

I guess the fact that so many characters in work place dramas and comedies get married at work despite that being the last place most people want to IRL is because we the audience have emotional attachments to those set/actors and not attachment to random guest stars as college friends or whatever. It can't always be about budget.  

• Like 1

"I took charge because I had something to prove."  That is the worst reason for  taking charge of an emergency situation. Very entitled white man thinking. Martin is a saint for putting up with Iggy this long. and

Why isn't Gladys running things? She's been managing Iggy and his department for years.

Setting up the wedding scene when they don't even know if Helen is in the city is unbelievably stupid. The past two seasons of SharpWin have been a mess.

Why can't April contact her friends after they're all safe? Keeping her separated from them makes no sense. But then, most of this episode didn't.

On 5/25/2022 at 6:57 PM, bybrandy said:

Honestly, Max didn't make anybody learn ASL because people generally don't.  It is one of the most bizarre things I've ever experienced. 

One of the best things to keep a brain sharp is to learn a new language and ASL also brings the physical parts of the hand motion. I think that it's also easier than learning a spoken language because you don't have to get the pronunciation right.

But I've always wanted to learn ASL so I may be a bit biased.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, statsgirl said:

"I took charge because I had something to prove."  That is the worst reason for  taking charge of an emergency situation. Very entitled white man thinking. Martin is a saint for putting up with Iggy this long. and

Why isn't Gladys running things? She's been managing Iggy and his department for years.

THANK YOU. I thought the same thing when Iggy told Martin that he took charge. If anyone took charge of the hospital it was Gladys. She was the one telling Iggy what to do and what not to do at every opportunity.

• Love 4
(edited)

I have been very patient with this show, but this episode went too far-- by a very long way.

The writing room must consist of 3 wrecking balls, 3 sadists, and a focus group assembled from people who are both drunk and suicidally depressed. Or maybe they hired that psychopath girl who's Iggy's patient; she enjoys manipulation, sabotage, and making people suffer, and somehow her character has to approve the scripts.

Edited by possibilities
22 hours ago, possibilities said:

I have been very patient with this show, but this episode went too far-- by a very long way.

The writing room must consist of 3 wrecking balls, 3 sadists, and a focus group assembled from people who are both drunk and suicidally depressed. Or maybe they hired that psychopath girl who's Iggy's patient; she enjoys manipulation, sabotage, and making people suffer, and somehow her character has to approve the scripts.

This entire post made me laugh, because I feel like this is the best description yet of this show's direction from this point :p 

Yeah. I know shows love their drama and all that, but good lord, they really went and blew EVERYTHING up in a big way in this finale. And not in an exciting way, where people couldn't wait to see what happened next. No, they did it in a way that pissed everyone off, and for no real logical reason at that. So...good job, show...? 

• Like 2
On 3/8/2023 at 1:03 AM, possibilities said:

yessssssssssss