Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E22: A Clogged Pore, a Little Spanish, and the Future

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, chitowngirl said:

Is the 5th Frame of Bowling known as “BeerFrame” for anyone else?

No, but that's hilarious and understandable!!  

1 hour ago, possibilities said:

I'm not saying Mary and George are bad parents. But they have three kids who are really quite ahead of the curve each in their own way.

I think some of the problems between George and Mary stem from their disagreements on how to raise Sheldon.  She is overprotective (I can understand why in some instances), and he wanted Sheldon to learn some things the hard way.  Again, I'm not blaming Mary for their issues.  I'm just pointing out that there has always been that undercurrent of tension between them when it comes to Sheldon.  

1 hour ago, possibilities said:

It's really kind of impressive that Missy is so high on emotional intelligence,

She is wise beyond her years!  It's sweet how she responds to Sheldon once he says he is afraid.  I think this is twice that he's said that to her, and she comes to his side immediately.  She's a good sister, even though she tells him what a dork he is!!

• Love 9

Mr. Pus dressed in a yellow suit absolutely cracked me up. Obviously, my humor bar is not set high. Spending several decades around nine year olds will do that.

Being an old fart, found the entire exchange between Hagermeyer and Linkletter both fun and relatable.

Iain Armitage deserves an Emmy for that dream sequence. (Best Performance By A Sleeping Character. If it's not a category, somebody needs to make it one.)

George wasn't especially likable in this episode, but he was very human. Hopefully, the wallowing phase won't last long. Know it's Texas and all, but still surprised that his only job at that school was football coach. Mary showed gumption looking for a job. Good for her.                                                                                                                                 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, ProudMary said:

This is probably too "on the nose," but Star Trek: TNG was hugely popular during that time period, and Missy certainly had at least second-hand exposure to it through Sheldon. Her crush could have been Wil Wheaton!

I could see her having a secret crush on him. She pretends to tolerate the show because it's something Sheldon likes and she doesn't want people to know she likes something nerdy/geeky, but thinks Will Wheaton is really cute and will watch the show just for him. I like all of the other suggestions for possible crushes as well. 

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, MollyMelrose said:

Being an old fart, found the entire exchange between Hagermeyer and Linkletter both fun and relatable.

Same here!  

12 minutes ago, MollyMelrose said:

Hopefully, the wallowing phase won't last long. 

In my experience, men tend to take these things pretty hard.  They want to be the head of the household, and when something like this happens, they tend to feel like a failure.  He's humiliated and he's probably very worried about how he's going to support his family.  I applaud Mary for taking the bull by the horns when it comes to looking for a job, but I do think that most women tend to bounce back from these things a little easier.  Sometimes men just need a little time to figure things out.  Again, just something I've observed from being an old fart!!  

• Love 5

I don't know how schools work in the football loving south and west but here in the northeast the football coaches are also teachers at the school. Usually gym teachers but not necessarily. They have a slightly limited class schedule so they can do their football work. That means if they were no longer coaching they could still teach.

• Love 8

Regarding Missy's crush, Patrick Swayze was popular then, but he's been mentioned on the show, and maybe it's too close to her lookalike brother lol. Anyway, I think the joke about Vanilla Ice was how lame crushes can be when you look to their future selves. Mine was Scott Baio. 

• Love 7
52 minutes ago, MollyMelrose said:

(Best Performance By A Sleeping Character. If it's not a category, somebody needs to make it one.)

Category Suggestions for the PrimeTimer Awards begin in a week: 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, ChitChat said:

That was the first instance with the want ads where she took a "we can do this together" attitude.  The second instance was her handing him an application for the grocery story.  The third instance was her shoving the want ads in his face while he was watching TV and asking him if that's what he was going to do all day.  He answered by telling her that he had a shift at the sporting goods store later.  I think she should've cut him a little slack and let him "feel sorry for himself" (as she said) for a few days.   She was being a nag.  YMMV.

My mileage certainly varies. The second instance was also a joint effort -- Mary got applications for the both of them. 

I don't see why George should get to whine about the mortgage not being paid AND sit and watch The Price is Right in his bathrobe, while Mary does the housework and shopping and finds a job. 

I might feel differently if George had been fired, but he quit. 

Iain's portrayal of the family, and the usual wonderfulness of Missy, were the only things I liked. I'm not sure I'll be back next season. 

• Love 7
9 hours ago, Bobbin said:

It's always a treat to see Iain Armitage get a chance to show off his acting chops, with a nod to the makeup crew. I wonder what puberty will do to Iain's singing voice -- there came a time when Donnie Osmond could no longer sing his signature song "Puppy Love" on stage without his voice cracking.

"Portrait of Donny" was my first LP album!  He's still a very handsome man. 

I agree the dream sequence was done so well.  The hair on "Georgie" was really spot on.  

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, Mediocre Gatsby said:

The second instance was also a joint effort -- Mary got applications for the both of them. 

He didn't ask her to get him an application for the grocery store.  He's already working at Dale's store.   Maybe he's going to ask him for more hours.  Looking through the want ads together was a good idea.  It was the other 2 things I mentioned earlier that irked me.   

• Love 3
1 hour ago, babyhouseman said:

Anyway, I think the joke about Vanilla Ice was how lame crushes can be when you look to their future selves. Mine was Scott Baio. 

Funny you should mention Scott Baio. When I was about 12 I thought he was so cute on Happy Days, especially during his first few seasons (Season 5 of the series) on the show. I saw those same episodes recently and I couldn't understand why I found him cute when I was 12. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

I could see her having a secret crush on him. She pretends to tolerate the show because it's something Sheldon likes and she doesn't want people to know she likes something nerdy/geeky, but thinks Will Wheaton is really cute and will watch the show just for him. I like all of the other suggestions for possible crushes as well. 

There was an episode where Missy was looking at a magazine and mused out loud that Will Wheaton was kind of cute. Sheldon suggested she should watch Star Trek Next Generation if that was the case and Missy responded with 'Not that cute." heh. 

• Wink 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 8

OK, I'm roughly the same generation as Sheldon and Missy (couple years older), and I didn't think Vanilla Ice was that cute. 

These were the common crushes in 1992:

Zach Morris FOR SURE...Luke Perry...Brad Pitt...John Stamos...Will Smith...Mario Lopez...Johnny Depp...maybe Fred Savage. New Kids would have been fading away around this time, their peak was in about 1990.

I thought Iain was fantastic in the dream sequence. However, I didn't really see the point of Penn and Teller in this episode. 

• Useful 1
26 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

New Kids would have been fading away around this time, their peak was in about 1990.

NKOTB was the big thing when I was a freshman in HS, which I started in 1989.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Bobbin said:

It's always a treat to see Iain Armitage get a chance to show off his acting chops, with a nod to the makeup crew. I wonder what puberty will do to Iain's singing voice -- there came a time when Donnie Osmond could no longer sing his signature song "Puppy Love" on stage without his voice cracking.

When Peter Brady's voice changed , on the Brady Bunch, they made a song about it.

The whole point of them picking Vanilla Ice for Missy's crush was so Sheldon, being clueless about pop culture, could make the sno cone joke. I thought it was funny.

• Love 11
5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Category Suggestions for the PrimeTimer Awards begin in a week: 

Time to review my little list. Here's that reminder I promised you way back when: Best Inanimate Object/Prop: remind Shapeshifter: Water Cooler in Dr. Linkletter's office,  Young Sheldon 🤣

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

Time to review my little list. Here's that reminder I promised you way back when: Best Inanimate Object/Prop: remind Shapeshifter: Water Cooler in Dr. Linkletter's office,  Young Sheldon 🤣

Thank you, @Ms Lark!
But oy! 🤯(exploded brain emoji)
I'm going to need an episode title or at least a date when you saved this reminder??

2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

But oy! 🤯(exploded brain emoji)
I'm going to need an episode title or at least a date when you saved this reminder??

Oh, lordy. I didn't make note of that. I'll have to poke around and see if I can find the episode! 😱

15 minutes ago, Ms Lark said:

Oh, lordy. I didn't make note of that. I'll have to poke around and see if I can find the episode! 😱

You don’t need to know the episode. Just the main show and object. (I run the awards, so I know these things…)

• Useful 2
16 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

You don’t need to know the episode. Just the main show and object. (I run the awards, so I know these things…)

Good to know, but I actually did find it. Since the water cooler shows up several times, it's practically a recurring character!

@shapeshifter

I love the Primetimer awards. Thanks for all your hard work Kariyaki. 🌹

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Ms Lark said:

Good to know, but I actually did find it. Since the water cooler shows up several times, it's practically a recurring character!

@shapeshifter

I love the Primetimer awards. Thanks for all your hard work Kariyaki. 🌹

I just rewatched that episode (S05.E05: Stuffed Animals and a Sweet Southern Syzygy).
The watercooler shows up at about the 4 minute mark.
Based on 5.5, I'm no longer impressed with the watercooler, but no regrets about the rewatch; the episode reminds us of how we got to the season finale.

Who thinks Mary working for Brenda is going to end well?
Also, George is (presumably) also a teacher.  I believe most high school coaches teach classes, stereotypically history or health. He should have the college degree required by some of the want ads, or he might be able to get another job as a teacher, even if at another school.
I have seen this show described as a "dramedy," which is accurate. BBT was more of a comedy.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, MarthaEllisanne said:

Also, George is (presumably) also a teacher. 

For some reason I always had the impression that they never gave any real thought to George having any kind of teaching credentials.  I don't know if that's because he actually didn't need that to be able to coach high school football or because they just didn't realize he would need that!  As a non-Americal watching this I assumed being a coach was his whole job and had nothing to do with being a teacher.

• Love 2

I think we’ve gone over this but in Texas, football is such a huge deal, the varsity coaches just coach football. They don’t teach. The other sports like soccer, basketball and even junior varsity football have the coaches doing double duty with coaching and teaching but not the varsity football coaches.

• Useful 4
  • Love 4
(edited)
31 minutes ago, MarthaEllisanne said:

Also, George is (presumably) also a teacher.  I believe most high school coaches teach classes, stereotypically history or health. He should have the college degree required by some of the want ads, or he might be able to get another job as a teacher, even if at another school.

I suspect the writers:

17 minutes ago, SusanM said:

just didn't realize he would need that! 

But maybe George would not have needed a teaching credential when he was hired as coach in 1980s rural Texas? They could pay him less.
At the same time in the rural mountains of Northern California, the "librarian" of the public library had a Bachelor's degree in Psychology, and in Sacramento at a private college prep school only a Bachelor's degree was required (although my having a Library Technical Assistant Certificate, work experience, and 3 children aged 8-18 helped). 
By the late 90s, an MLS was required for both.

So I can imagine George not having a degree and that setting him back in his current job search.

But in this episode they only had Mary lamenting that she didn't have a degree when she was looking at the Classifieds, so they could go either way with George's credentials next season
--especially if the writers respond to social media or advertisers' complaints of the show being too much of a downer.

9 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

I think we’ve gone over this but in Texas, football is such a huge deal, the varsity coaches just coach football. They don’t teach. The other sports like soccer, basketball and even junior varsity football have the coaches doing double duty with coaching and teaching but not the varsity football coaches.

Oh. Right.
But would the football coaches have teaching credentials or some other degree?
Based on just this show, I would guess results is all they care about. 🤷‍♀️
(I have to confess to not having watched Friday Night Lights.)

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Having never pursued a career in it, I have no idea about teaching credentials. But they’d have to have a bachelor’s degree, for sure. Presumably in phys ed?

• Useful 1

Note to self and others: Nominate the Water Cooler in Dr. Linkletter's office for Most Valuable Inanimate Object (or whatever is the exact title of the category) for the next PrimeTimer Awards.

The water cooler's gonna be up against some very stiff competition from General Hospital's Bowl of Moss - unless Moss, working in Daytime, won't make the cut.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 5/20/2022 at 9:36 AM, Gregg247 said:

Sheldon is at his best in this show when he's interacting with Dr. Linklater and Dr. Sturgis (the Dean is also a nice addition).

Linkletter and Sturgis yes, but the Dean is getting a little tiresome.

(edited)

I’m surprised germaphobic Sheldon let Missy and her unwashed hands anywhere near his pimple, instead of him applying massive amounts of benzoyl peroxide. His normal inclination is to defer to expertise. 

Edited by kay1864
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, MarthaEllisanne said:

Who thinks Mary working for Brenda is going to end well?

Who thinks Brenda is going to burst-confess about the night at the ER?

• Love 3

I feel Missy’s Vanilla Ice crush is true to character.  She wants to be edgy and no doubt has some friends who are into Vanilla Ice.

The Penn and Teller parts were so unnecessary and took away from the regular characters. I guess that shows that the writers have no idea where they’re going, so they had to fill the time some way.

I didn’t care for Sheldon’s dream sequence. Again, it was evidence to demonstrate they have no idea where to go from here other than what’s already been revealed on TBBT.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Neiman said:

I feel Missy’s Vanilla Ice crush is true to character.  She wants to be edgy and no doubt has some friends who are into Vanilla Ice.

My TV Boyfriends at the time were Neil Patrick Harris from Doogie Howser and Ty Miller, Josh Brolin, and Gregg Rainwater from The Young Riders.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, kay1864 said:

I’m surprised germaphobic Sheldon let Missy and her unwashed hands anywhere near his pimple, instead of him applying massive amounts of benzoyl peroxide.

He did let her remove a splinter from his finger that one time (with lots of alcohol used as disinfectant!)  She might've done it so quickly that he didn't have time to react, or he trusts her to do the right thing since she's helped him out before.  

• Love 3
2 hours ago, HyeChaps said:

Wouldn't Meemaw's concerns about selling alcohol also apply to selling tobacco?

I may be wrong on this, but selling alcohol requires a liqueur license and other permits. I don't think tobacco has the same requirements at that time.  

• Love 1
On 5/20/2022 at 9:45 AM, Bookish Jen said:

Iain makes for a very pretty woman.

For a minute I thought it was Missy playing "Mary" and was quite impressed when I realized it was Sheldon.  Then they added "meemaw" and "Georgie" and they did a fantastic job with it.  

• Love 11
6 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

I may be wrong on this, but selling alcohol requires a liqueur license and other permits. I don't think tobacco has the same requirements at that time.  

Selling tobacco without paying taxes in Texas would be against the law.
See, for instance, this document from the very excellent web archive, The Portal to Texas History:
https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth273990/m2/1/high_res_d/dm0182.pdf
(not that Meemaw is going to be targeted for tax evasion the same way as Al Capone was)

• Useful 1
On 5/21/2022 at 10:45 AM, shapeshifter said:

Based on just this show, I would guess results is all they care about. 🤷‍♀️

In Michigan during this period, a teaching certificate was required for any classroom teacher. For that, a college degree was required, which included Educ classes, but local school districts often ignored that specific depending on their needs. Even what was taught often was far removed from a college major. The  head H.S. football coaches typically taught PE on MWF and classroom Sports-related or Health class on TTh.

I'm sure in Texas, looking the other way, particularly when it comes to football, was more the rule than the exception. In reality, if George has a degree, with his experience, if not his record, I'm sure there would be schools and colleges that would hire him. But he would have to relocate.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Bobbin said:

In reality, if George has a degree, with his experience, if not his record, I'm sure there would be schools and colleges that would hire him. But he would have to relocate.

And we've seen how fast Mary would shoot down that idea.

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, Caoimhe said:

Not when neither of them have a good job.  Their situation was different the last time relocating came up.  

• Love 4
(edited)
40 minutes ago, Caoimhe said:

Hmmm, I wonder if she would reconsider now that they’re both unemployed, Sheldon is in college in another town, and Georgie has brought scandal down on them. Missy could get a spinoff when she goes to live with Meemaw so she wouldn’t have to change schools and I would watch the hell out of that.

Edited by sharifa70
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, Caoimhe said:

I will be less than impressed if they pull this stunt on us viewers twice.  Anyone who knows the end game for George knows they will not be relocating so setting up these scenarios is a way to underline how Mean Mary makes George sad and unhappy.  Correct this - not only will I be less than impressed if they do this again, I will seriously pissed off.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

Hmmm, I wonder if she would reconsider now that they’re both unemployed, Sheldon is in college in another town, and Georgie has brought scandal down on them. Missy could get a spinoff when she goes to live with Meemaw so she wouldn’t have to change schools and I would watch the hell out of that.

Don't give Missy a spin-off, just have the show taking place in different locations. In Gilmore Girls when Rory was living in the college dorms and no longer living at home, she didn't get a spin-off. You had storylines with Rory in college, and storylines with Lorelai in Stars Hollow. Do the same here. Have storylines with Missy and Meemaw and storylines with George and Mary in a different spot.

Also, Sheldon isn't living in the dorm fulltime. He is still living at home. I think he only spent one night in the dorm. He has the dorm for afternoon naps/study time. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
31 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

Also, Sheldon isn't living in the dorm fulltime. He is still living at home. I think he only spent one night in the dorm. He has the dorm for afternoon naps/study time. 

I was thinking of them maybe moving closer to the university; I understood that it’s in a different town (and it confused me the day Mary and George got into a fight over “taking the kids to school” because Meemaw was driving Sheldon for that reason).

• Love 1
On 5/22/2022 at 12:53 PM, HyeChaps said:

Wouldn't Meemaw's concerns about selling alcohol also apply to selling tobacco?

Selling alcohol requires a liquor license and if you get caught selling it without one, you are in huge trouble with the law.

You do need a license to sell cigarettes in Texas now, primarily for tax collection purposes but I don't know when that became the law.  I do know that crossing state lines with untaxed cigarettes is illegal in Maryland because I've scheduled trials for defendants who've done just that, but again, not sure when it became illegal to do so.

6 hours ago, Katy M said:

Not when neither of them have a good job.  Their situation was different the last time relocating came up.  

She still would be resistant to moving away from her mother.

• Useful 1
13 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I'm sure the writers would come up with some reason for Mary to say she won't move but I don't know if it would be that - she and Connie seem to have a lot of conflict right now.   Mainly revolving around Connie getting Georgie involved in her illegal gambling - and it's not helping that Connie seems to be choosing supporting Mandy over rooting for Georgie to convince her to marry him,

• Love 1
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Selling alcohol requires a liquor license and if you get caught selling it without one, you are in huge trouble with the law.

You do need a license to sell cigarettes in Texas now, primarily for tax collection purposes but I don't know when that became the law.  I do know that crossing state lines with untaxed cigarettes is illegal in Maryland because I've scheduled trials for defendants who've done just that, but again, not sure when it became illegal to do so.

They lived away from her mother for at least 8 years (I assume, since they moved there shortly before the series began).  i'm sure she'd be fine.