Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: The Caretaker

paulvdb
  • Start Topic

As Irene finds a new zest for life, Franklin becomes more suspicious of Jude. In Argentina, a visitor has something important to give Stella and Toni.

Premiere date: May 20, 2022

This one was a little better than the second one but I'm still irritated by the Mother and Daughter Mystery story. I don't know why. The mystery surrounding Jude doesn't annoy me nearly as much, and that might be because he's interacting with Irene and Franklin, who I care about. I just don't care about the mother and daughter and every time the story switches to them I just groan, even as we learn more about them. There's two different stories going on here and I'm only interested in one of them.

• Love 1

Well, as the mother & daughter have now ended up in the Eastern US, I'd think the stories are going to connect up a bit more. 

I hate Byron even more, breaking into the York's shed and finding the door.  But I was SOOOO glad when he got nailed for falsifying signatures.  What an idiot, he doesn't think in a small town like that, the local political folks aren't going to know who's voting for whom?  All they had to do was call a couple of people who's names they recognized to find out they didn't sign his sheet.   And now we know his wife is a thief.  They seem made for each other. 

I hope he steps out into somewhere that dissolves him into dust or something equally terrible.....

(edited)
2 hours ago, Paloma said:

Wait, what did his wife steal? Or are you mixing her up with the nursing home worker?

I thought it was her, but I guess it was Chandra.  The woman who sat in the office & said "Please don't fire me" had long dark hair, pulled back.  It wasn't Chandra. 

Possibly Chandra let Jeanine take the blame?  It appeared Chandra stole something from Jude's bag though.  

Edited by SnapHappy
1 hour ago, SnapHappy said:

I thought it was her, but I guess it was Chandra.  The woman who sat in the office & said "Please don't fire me" had long dark hair, pulled back.  It wasn't Chandra. 

Jeanine had long dark hair but Chandra's hair was reddish or reddish-blonde. Here are photos of the actresses who play Jeanine (the first link) and Chandra (the second link):

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2041859/?ref_=tt_cl_t_8

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0480108/?ref_=tt_cl_t_9

Also, Jeanine worked at home as an airline or travel agent taking phone calls--we never saw her in an office or talking to a boss. Chandra worked in a nursing home and was the one who was sitting in the office saying "Please don't fire me" to her boss--this was after another employee saw her put something belong to a patient in her pocket, and presumably then reported Chandra to the boss.  

8 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I wish Toni had said, “Mom! We can go anywhere in the world, and you take us to Newark!” 

I guess if you've never been anywhere except the middle of nowhere in Argentina, Newark could seem exotic? At least they were right by NYC, which would be exciting for Toni if she was allowed to visit.

I'm still having trouble getting into this show.  I don't find anyone terribly likable except for Irene.  I'm mildly interested in where Jude came from and why the mother and daughter (Toni? I don't even know their names) are entrusted with the "elevator."  Byron(?) Brian(?) whatever his name is is a waste of time.  The nurse who stole from the patient is random.  Denise is sweet but I don't care about her career.  Something better start happening or I'm going to lose interest.

Newark did make me laugh out loud though.  Of all the places in the world to visit!

• Like 1
On 6/4/2022 at 7:19 AM, Haleth said:

I'm still having trouble getting into this show.  I don't find anyone terribly likable except for Irene.  I'm mildly interested in where Jude came from and why the mother and daughter (Toni? I don't even know their names) are entrusted with the "elevator."  Byron(?) Brian(?) whatever his name is is a waste of time.  The nurse who stole from the patient is random.  Denise is sweet but I don't care about her career.  Something better start happening or I'm going to lose interest.

I am watching this now, and I totally agree.  I feel like there is a good show here somewhere, and I want to know what the portal is all about, but they're just taking way too long to get to the point.

I don't really want them to add another layer onto all of this, but I'm curious about Denise's mother.  Is she dead? Is she estranged from Irene and Franklin?  If not, I would think one of the characters should have at least mentioned her.  It would also not be unusual for a daughter-in-law to be involved in the welfare of her in-laws, maybe more so than the granddaughter, even if the granddaughter is an adult.

My thought about Byron the annoying neighbor in episode 2 was that maybe he is going to rescue Irene and Franklin from some dire situation later on.  If not, then they're giving him and his wife way too much screen time.

Edited by paul4295
  • Like 1