Type keyword(s) to search

S17. E01: Dance is Back! Auditions Show 1

• Start Topic

On 5/23/2022 at 5:00 PM, Ilovepie said:

She didn't. I guess these are technically the "audition" rounds, but she had to have been invited to LA for this "audition", so these people have already been vetted by someone to get here. Of course, I'm sure someone was vetting who got in front of the judges in the old format as well; it just felt more like a real audition than it does now.

Yes, both the popper and the male ballroom dancer did not make the choreography rounds.  Even pre-Covid, the show has been showing about one or two people that don't make it.  It's also true that dancers are vetted before they are judged by the TV judges.  Sometimes, they go through a few rounds before they're chosen and then not all the judge auditions are shown on TV.

On 5/23/2022 at 4:31 PM, Terrafamilia said:

I kinda do, too. I want someone to say, "Cue music."

On 5/24/2022 at 12:32 AM, MsTree said:

Agree. It's interesting how missing a few words makes everything feel so different. It's similar to Probst dropping the word "guys" after he says "come on in" to the tribe. 

I'm glad I'm not the only one who notices things like this - I watched American Idol this year, and Ryan asked someone else to "Dim the Lights" and I was like "What! Where's Kieran??? Who the hell is this guy dimming the lights??!??" :-p

3 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

I watched American Idol this year, and Ryan asked someone else to "Dim the Lights" and I was like "What! Where's Kieran??? Who the hell is this guy dimming the lights??!??" :-p

LOL, ILP, I was thinking the EXACT thing!  Did Kieran catch COVID?

I'm a bit late in realizing the season already started, but since I really know very little about dance other than I love to watch it and am mostly impressed by anyone who manages to not trip over their own feet, it probably doesn't matter what I say or when I say it. 

I really liked Konnor, and anticipate him being around for a long time. 

It will be interesting to see how the African guy's style translates to other genres, but he seems to have amazing control, and stage presence for days, so I'll be optimistic that he will be able to branch out.

The quirky girl in the black and white striped outfit was really striking, and never let your attention waver. So much so that I have a slight worry that she will end up with a "look at me" vibe that might get a bit tiresome. But overall, I was definitely impressed. 

Was glad the Russian girl didn't get through, though it would be nice to see whether she has what it takes to brush up her technique and add to her performance repertoire. But if she never comes back I doubt I'll notice. 

The ballroom couple were good, and I was rather disappointed that they picked her and not him. Even though I'll admit that she looked a bit better technically, I thought he had better presence, and plenty enough potential to take a chance on sending him to choreography. They did spend too much time on spins that didn't show off enough other technique, though, so if they thought the spins were the best thing in their bag of tricks, they probably wouldn't have made it too far overall. 

The last girl (did I miss anyone else?) was OK, but I did feel a bit as though she got through on the strength of her message moreso than her dance. I'll admit to her genre not being my favorite, though, so unless someone does some truly spectacular moves in it, there's a lot of subtlety I probably miss. She did exhibit a lot of emotion, though, so there's that. Not sure I can see her branching out to a lot of other styles, though. 

I do wish there had been less back stories and more focus on dance, because I feel as though we missed some pretty good auditions judging by the ones they flashed through. The tapper and the Asian kid with his hair parted in the middle caught my eye, but there were others that looked as though they were probably good, but there was no time to even remember them individually. 

As far as the judges, I'm OK with JoJo; she's cute and enthusiastic, and does seem willing to critique, unlike some we have seen over the years. And I'll admit that I love glitter way more than I should at my age, so all her sparkliness just appealed to the magpie in me. Love tWitch, as always, and Matthew Morrison seems as though he'll be fine, if a little low-key. 

Count me in with those who kind of miss Nigel, though. For all his faults, his passion for dance and for the show really made it special.

• Sad 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Count me in with those who kind of miss Nigel, though. For all his faults, his passion for dance and for the show really made it special.

I really really hope Nigel guest judges on some of the shows. I'm hoping TPTB are listening a realize that Nigel is missed on the judge's panel.

• Love 3
On 5/23/2022 at 1:07 PM, Tikichick said:

Wonder what song the ballroom couple actually danced to that the show couldn't, or wouldn't, get the music clearance for? 

Seven nation army, White Stripes. Just caught it on today’s repeat.

11 hours ago, A.Ham said:

Seven nation army, White Stripes. Just caught it on today’s repeat.

That's what was broadcast.   It's been played on the show several times over the years, so they can get clearance for it, it matched the choreo well enough and it must not break the bank.   They actually were dancing to another song if you watch closely.

Since Matthew Morrison won't be staying on the panel for the season I'd like to put my bid in that they bring back Lil C if they won't bring back Mary or Nigel.   C had some of the best critiques ever, interesting for the audience and substantive for the dancers to grow with. 

• Love 9