Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: The Click

• Start Topic

Loved this ep; great to see Debra hitting her stride.

I kept thinking her hookup looked familiar but was surprised to see that it was Devon Sawa in the credits. It's been a while since I've seen him in anything.

Ava's mother continues to annoy me but I'm glad they were able to reconnect somewhat.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, raeb23 said:

Loved this ep; great to see Debra hitting her stride.

I kept thinking her hookup looked familiar but was surprised to see that it was Devon Sawa in the credits. It's been a while since I've seen him in anything.

Ava's mother continues to annoy me but I'm glad they were able to reconnect somewhat.

I think we saw some switch flip in Ava’s brain. I think she saw her mother’s many issues as her mother’s issues, and not Ava’s lifelong failure to please her mother. I think Ava can see herself differently now.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
9 hours ago, raeb23 said:

I kept thinking her hookup looked familiar but was surprised to see that it was Devon Sawa in the credits.

Oh shit! I didn't even realize it was him. He looks good! I laughed my ass off when she snuck out of his room in the morning and his roommates were in the living room. "We have her spice rack! I gotta call my mom." 😂

• Love 9

This episode is listed as The Click in HBO Max app and some foreign word, Komi...  Inside the Episode they talk about her finding the click or something clicks.

Thumbnail shows Kaley, which makes no sense because she wasn't in this episode.

I guess comics talk all the time about working out material and finally finding something.  But in this case, she goes from putting down other people to herself?  So how could Deb and Ava not think of self-deprecation, which is a common strategy for comics, before this show in Memphis?

Now she's going to try to get a special or maybe even a talk show in LA?

I would think that she could sell out some big theater and they'd be filming it anyways and try to sell it to Netflix or HBO anyways.  But she believed it would take awhile to hit her stride with the new material, some of it was going to bomb or just kind of flat, not even impressive enough for her stalker.

Eh, Ava's mom's a mess, maybe that's why she's funny and became creative.  Otherwise, not sure it develops her character that much.

We will see how much bullying Deb's done, see if she's burned too many bridges.

*laugh* that Salem witch trial little bit was great.

Hooray, it's Kiki! Honestly as soon as Deborah said she wanted whoever was calling to meet her in Memphis, I was thinking we haven't seen her yet this season.

Fun how girl's night out became mom's night out plus Ava. I had a little Nelson Muntz ha-ha moment at that. And a genuine LOL about Luna: "Oh, I don't think Luna's gonna be funny. She's really comfortable with herself."

But overall, Ava's mom makes me sad. The way she doesn't listen to Ava bothers me, and the way she avoided apologizing was very upsetting for me. Also the whole MLM thing. But I did like when Ava lied to her about the tall, competent lawyer who's doing this lawsuit pro bono for her.

I really liked the eureka moment and then the montage of refining the act.

As for the big decision at the end, I dunno. A comedy special would be way more prestigious than a Vegas residency, but I gotta suspect it wouldn't pay as much overall. But it will definitely be a big mountain to climb considering Hollywood has mostly written Deborah off for years now.

• Love 5

I wonder if Deborah will finally get her late-night talk show by the end of this. Or maybe before the end... I could see a season that's like Late Night. I feel like Deb would have to learn how to actually connect with people, though, because her personality would not work well for interviewing others.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Cranberry said:

I wonder if Deborah will finally get her late-night talk show by the end of this. Or maybe before the end... I could see a season that's like Late Night. I feel like Deb would have to learn how to actually connect with people, though, because her personality would not work well for interviewing others.

Ellen faked it for like nineteen years and the real behind the scenes Ellen might be even meaner than Deborah.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, QQQQ said:

I must have missed something - why was Deborah's hookup living with guys who were so much younger? I mean, he looked to be in his 40s.

I don’t think it was explained explicitly, but he did say he was divorced, right? Deborah’s lucky he didn’t have a race car bed.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
(edited)
17 minutes ago, arc said:

I don’t think it was explained explicitly, but he did say he was divorced, right? Deborah’s lucky he didn’t have a race car bed.

I assumed for no particular reason that it was an adult child and child’s friends.

Edited by KarenX
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, QQQQ said:

I must have missed something - why was Deborah's hookup living with guys who were so much younger? I mean, he looked to be in his 40s

My first thought was that he lived in some sort of halfway house.

• LOL 2

He had a fridge in his bedroom.  I definitely think they were his roommates.   

When he was grabbing beer from the fridge, he said something about moving to where he is, working for FedEx and seeing his kids on the weekend. 

• Love 5

Ava's mother is just toxic. She definitely seems like she has a personality disorder. Nothing exists for her but her over-the-top anxieties.

Putting Ava's father's ashes in a tennis ball can speaks volumes.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
On 5/27/2022 at 8:14 AM, Cranberry said:

It's possible, but if Deborah is supposed to be about Jean Smart's age, she'd be in her late 60s/early 70s and it doesn't seem realistic for her to get a late night talk show to host at this point.

18 hours ago, Blakeston said:

Ava's mother is just toxic. She definitely seems like she has a personality disorder. Nothing exists for her but her over-the-top anxieties.

It made me feel for Ava, if only because it would seem like a nightmare having to grow up trying to manage her mother's anxieties.  I also smiled when Ava's mom said she was having difficultly sleeping because her cat had the zoomies at night.  I just loved that little detail. 

• Love 5

I liked this episode a lot -- I especially liked getting the sense the Deborah was getting a win, that her show was going well. And I've really needed some kind of sense that Ava is good at her job (and why Deborah is so set on employing her). I did feel like we finally got that here.

Loved the way Deb's journey mirrored Ava's in a way, here -- she realized she needed to trust herself and let things go.  Loved the echo of "if it's good we'll remember it."

On 5/27/2022 at 2:32 AM, arc said:

Hooray, it's Kiki! Honestly as soon as Deborah said she wanted whoever was calling to meet her in Memphis, I was thinking we haven't seen her yet this season.

We have seen Kiki this season -- back in "There Will be Blood" (S2E1). But it's been awhile! She's always fun.

On 5/27/2022 at 8:57 PM, Blakeston said:

Putting Ava's father's ashes in a tennis ball can speaks volumes.

Ditto. I love Jane Adams, but I just do not like Ava's Mom -- she honestly strikes me as someone who was borderline abusive to Ava in childhood even if she seems oblivious to that fact (and she seemed like a nightmare compared to Ava's sweet dad). However, I did like the visible revelation from Ava that she needed to just let her mom be how she was, and not take it personally or emotionally. So in the end she's able to lie to her mom about her court case, watch "Pretty Woman," and send her home with a quiet mind.

On 5/29/2022 at 11:29 PM, rollacoaster said:

I'm really glad that the guy hitting on Deborah wasn't a creep. Good on her getting her zipless fuck on with a cute, nice guy! 

Oh, me too. THIS!

I was SO happy that Deb's hookup with the cute guy was just simply a nice, uncomplicated, enjoyable moment for Deb. I'm so conditioned to certain dramatic beats that I was seriously stressing the whole time that he would turn out to be cruel, or trolling her, or that he'd say something insensitive. Instead, he was perfectly lovely. And on a shallow note, Jean looked really beautiful in that scene.

I LOVED the morning-after, too, with the guy's roommates hanging out, and Deb just calmly getting her fur while the one kid was like, "OMG! That's Deborah Vance! We have her salt shakers!" (or whatever. Too funny!)

• Love 5