Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E20: A Judge and a Priest Walk Into a Living Room...

• Start Topic

(edited)

Gee, no one agrees on anything? I'm shocked. Maybe you could each have your own wedding...

Puddles Pity Party!

I must say, this wedding was less of a train wreck than I expected.

Did DJ have any lines? I wasn't sure he was even there until the end of the ceremony.

On a side note, maybe Ken Jennings can help Mark out...

image.thumb.png.44e4de84e34aef2427bd94f33779e6bb.png

Edited by ams1001
  • LOL 10
  • Love 2

Cute end tag. 

Good on Harris for sticking to her guns about the baby thing. Makes sense that would be the sort of thing that would end this relationship. Aldo's clown opera singer was a strangely entertaining suggestion, though :D. Also, I laughed at Harris' "They killed Kenny!" joke. 

I liked Jackie's wedding dress, and what I could see of Darlene's (though the jacket actually complimented it well). And the bridesmaids looked nice, too. Also glad that Jackie was able to spin that "never" tattoo into something positive. 

Mark's taller than Becky now. Wow :p. 

So, now that two of the three couples are married, should be interesting to see how that plays out next season. And hopefully Harris will find some stability of her own, with a place to live and all that sort of thing. Until season 6, then!

• Love 13
2 minutes ago, greekmom said:

We can't even suspect that Jackie just has forgotten about Fred. He's been totally erased and Darlene's marriage to David is also on the down low.
Why is Darlene wearing a black jacket over her wedding gown?!?!?  If she wanted to go non traditional, she could have just added a black sash or worn a black and white pant suit. The jacket just looked like she was cold and someone lent her a jacket.
Darlene's manager should have been there.
Glad Harris decided not to marry Aldo.
Why the hell am I still watching this?

I will post a screenshot of a article that was questions asked to helford and caplan and there answer to Fred not being apart of the history or Andy just seemed so stupid. Will post in the media thread.

• Love 7

I'm glad they had a relatively happy ending this season, but this whole year of the show was just so EXHAUSTING as a whole. I'm so loyal to this family, but I almost wouldn't mind if this was how it ended.

On a lighter note, the judge was Jerry/Garry from Parks & Rec! :D 

• Love 16

I kinda liked Darlene's dress-with-jacket look. It suits her somehow. 

I also enjoyed the little tour of things from the original set that are still there at the end.

• Love 14

I did like the little set tour at the end, too. Fun idea.

The rest was meh. The dress with a black jacket seemed apropos for Darlene. Fug dress and headpiece for Jackie. Was DJ even at the wedding? Most of these actors are better than this.

• Love 7
(edited)

Fun tag!  It would have been even better at the end of the revival season, but at the end of the first season of the spin-off might not have struck the right tone.  Wait until now to do it, and it's just cute.

I know productions never want to pay guest actors to sit around a day as extras, but that means weddings, funerals, etc. are usually missing key attendees; even for a small ceremony, there were several people absent who would logically have been at this group wedding.

"And for our friends and family, who are actually real."  HA!  Thank you, Your Honor - best part of the ceremony.

I'm glad I was right Harris would finally come to her senses thanks to Aldo's baby stupidity.  "I'm not going to be your niece-wife helping you take care of your kid" was good, too; I love how she keeps shutting down suggestions she should for some reason take care of Beverly Rose.

I don't have a single shit to give about Jackie marrying Neville, but since the show backed off the terrible dynamic they had in the beginning (where he wouldn't take no for an answer), I'm not opposed to it, either.  But how is he so Catholic he can't get married without a priest (and how's a priest going to marry him to a non-Catholic without a bunch of rigamarole that has to happen in advance?) that Jackie doesn't even know that about him until now?  I remember Dan and Louise got married in a church without anything explaining that oddity (since Dan is firmly established as non-religious), but don't remember if it was Catholic (and, again, without all the rigamarole about a Catholic marrying a non-Catholic).

I also usually don't care about ignoring Fred and Andy's existence, but it's so blatant here it's distracting; the writers can tell themselves whatever they want about Jackie never explicitly saying this is her "only" wedding, but the spinster talk and not acknowledging Jackie already got married in the Conner living room implies that.

The language about Roseanne's hopes/fears for Jackie and Darlene technically works with Fred having existed like David did - both marriages that weren't from the beginning likely to last and indeed flamed out in a few years - but David has at least been acknowledged in a way Fred never has.  If they're erasing Fred and Andy, okay, but don't try to play this bullshit game when asked about it.

I'm not even bothered by Darlene and Ben giving it another go, but moving at warp speed from broken up to married, skipping every single step in between (because she jumped through a rotten roof like a moron?!) is stupid.  I'll go with it, though, because Darlene dating was unbearable, so this way we only have Ben (whom I generally like), rather than a string of short-lived arcs with each latest dude.  But that floofy wedding skirt is so not her; why??

The scene between Becky and Darlene was lovely, and in a realistic way.  And while Ben not knowing Darlene still intended Becky to live in the new house speaks to their ongoing communication issues, I like that he wasn't put off by learning that was still the plan. 

6 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Did DJ have any lines?

Nope, not a one.  

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 14

I'm so glad Harris didn't marry that guy. However, I feel nothing about the two weddings that did take place.

Didn't Geena, DJs wife, retire from the military? Why is she never included? I might suggest a divorce storyline to give Mary something to do, but that would mean watching more of Michael Fishman's acting. No one wants that.

• LOL 2
  • Love 10
23 minutes ago, greekmom said:

I didn't see him. Was he there?

I was just starting to wonder if he was even there when the camera pulled back just before they started to walk out and you could see him up by the fireplace, kind of behind and to the (viewer's) right of the officiants.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, Bastet said:

I'm not even bothered by Darlene and Ben giving it another go, but moving at warp speed from broken up to married, skipping every single step in between (because she jumped through a rotten roof like a moron?!) is stupid.  I'll go with it, though, because Darlene dating was unbearable, so this way we only have Ben (w.  

6 hours ago, Bastet said:

(because she jumped through a rotten roof like a moron?!)  

So this was actually the plot of home economics last night!  

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

That was decent. I knew Harris would come to her senses. And I liked the scene between Becky and Darlene before the ceremony. Both brides looked in character - Darlene with a bit of goth in the mix and Jackie's dress was heavily 80s inspired which makes sense for her. And the lifestyle clown added a whimsy/crazy touch that really worked. I could have done without the two officiants sniping at each other even though it was played for laughs.  I've been to ecumenical services without the two ministers having a go at each other about the nature of transubstantiation *shrugs* I thought it was disrespectful to the two couples but they did not seem to mind.

Yeah Dan, that crochet blanket in garish 70s coloring escaped the potato famine LOL! The end tag was cute.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, MissLucas said:

I could have done without the two officiants sniping at each other even though it was played for laughs.  I've been to ecumenical services without the two ministers having a go at each other about the nature of transubstantiation *shrugs* I thought it was disrespectful to the two couples but they did not seem to mind.

Yeah, I am not in the least bit religious but I would have found that absolutely disrespectful if it happened in real life. If nothing else, a wedding is not the place for it.

• Applause 2
  • Love 12

I hope this means they are done with Aldo completely( the character irritates me as does the actor after seeing him in that one underwear commercial…I’m not sure I’d like him in any role.). I still don’t understand why they needed to get married together.  Darlene’s outfit looked like a toddler at a ballet recital, who got cold so somebody threw a jacket on her.  They should have just had her wear a pantsuit.  Jackie’s dress looked cheap and tacky.  Becky looked better than both the brides.  Darlene’s face is very severe and still don’t see any chemistry between her and Ben.  The scene with Becky and Darlene was nice. I guess it was nice they actually had all the kids in the episode.  I don’t know if Michael Fishman is just more interested in the behind -the-scenes work now, but if not they might as well have him talk while he’s there.  I know his acting isn’t great, neither is Darlene’s and the writing is stinking up the joint anyway.  

• Love 12
(edited)
5 hours ago, eXiled said:

I might suggest a divorce storyline to give Mary something to do, but that would mean watching more of Michael Fishman's acting. No one wants that.

I actually don't agree with this; I thought he did a serviceable to good job in the episode where he was dealing with Mary needing to stay somewhere when he worked late because Geena was still away from home. He may not be great, but he was better than he typically gets credit for, and the fact that he didn't any kind of acknowledgment or dialogue last night is just wrong--DJ is still Darlene's brother and Jackie's nephew, and he deserved to be included somehow. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 19
5 hours ago, eXiled said:

I'm so glad Harris didn't marry that guy. However, I feel nothing about the two weddings that did take place.

Didn't Geena, DJs wife, retire from the military? Why is she never included? I might suggest a divorce storyline to give Mary something to do, but that would mean watching more of Michael Fishman's acting. No one wants that.

I’m guessing that she put in her papers, but she hasn’t officially retired yet. 

I wonder if Harris will need to find another job. They should have her decide that she now wants to go to school and have her and Becky taking classes together. 

If Darlene and her kids are leaving, that’s two more bedrooms upstairs that now become available. Why not have Becky and Beverly Rose take the bedrooms and use the basement as another lounge/tv room. 

• Love 10

I could have done without the two officiants sniping at each other even though it was played for laughs. 

I thought it was funny. I also laughed in spite of myself when Aldo said "who knows how old I'll be in fifteen years." I thought this would have made a nice series finale - and probably should have been one, too.

I did not, however, think the closing tag showing various set pieces side by side was cute. It's the sort of self-congratulatory thing certain shows do that demonstrate they are proud of the wrong things. The writing on this show has been atrociously lazy, and the show should spend less time patting themselves on the back for re-using set pieces and props and more effort into improving the quality of the actual stories.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
49 minutes ago, StaceyNotStacie said:

If Darlene and her kids are leaving, that’s two more bedrooms upstairs that now become available. Why not have Becky and Beverly Rose take the bedrooms and use the basement as another lounge/tv room. 

But that would make sense... 🙃

• LOL 11
  • Love 3
(edited)

Since they already erased Jackie's marital history and son, couldn't they have erased David from continuity too and just say Darlene had kids with a random guy who divorced her? At least there was one small reference to this being her second wedding. I was really hoping David was going to burst in at the end and object to the marriage for the trainwreck value but twas not to be.....

Edited by Wizardpatch
  • Love 7

Hopefully this will be the end of the Harris/Aldo storyline.  I never found him funny and frankly their relationship was disgusting.

The double vows had a bitch crying….when did I become such a puss?!

Regarding Michael Fishman; if he wants to work behind the scenes then let him, only FFS either do something with D.J. or let him, Mary and Geena ride off in the sunset!

• Love 8
8 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I didn't see him. Was he there?

He was up at the front, beside Marc and Dan then walked out with Mary, behind Becky and Marc.  It was a blink and you miss him moment.  

Do we know who directed this episode.  Michael Fishman has directed a few, so maybe he was directing and that's why his role was non existant.  

I find it hilarious that Marc is sooo tall and no one questions how the offspring of five foot Darlene and five foot David would be that tall.  

• Love 9
39 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

I find it hilarious that Marc is sooo tall and no one questions how the offspring of five foot Darlene and five foot David would be that tall.  

I suspect they didn't expect him to sprout up like a sunflower when they cast him...now they just have to go with it. 

John Goodman is 6'2" (so says Google, anyway) so I guess we can assume the tall genes skipped a generation.

• Love 15
1 minute ago, ams1001 said:

ohn Goodman is 6'2" (so says Google, anyway) so I guess we can assume the tall genes skipped a generation.

I can accept that!!  Though Roseanne is pretty short too.  Did we ever see David's parents in the original series?  

I just found it funny that each time I've seen him for the past few episodes, I always do a double take and wonder who that is, and then remember that it's Marc.  It's like if anyone watches Young Sheldon and has noticed how deep Sheldon voice has gotten this year.  

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

I can accept that!!  Though Roseanne is pretty short too.  Did we ever see David's parents in the original series?  

I don't remember. David's brother was taller than him, though, too...

• Love 4
(edited)

We saw David's mom in a couple of episodes. She was a little taller than him. We never saw the dad, so he could have been a tall guy. 

I just looked her up and she was played by Sally Kirkland who is 5'9". Didn't realize she was that tall. Ha

Edited by pinkandsparkly13
Add
  • Love 5

Episode was less annoying than usual I guess, even if it had one of those cheesy sitcom weddings that happens on the main set because they can't afford to build another set. 

Mary was released from the vault for a token line, and then became an extra again. And did Darlene even speak to Mark the whole time?

I'm happy that those who still enjoy this will get to keep watching but I don't have any need to, except to see if they spring for a new opening sequence.

• Love 7
(edited)

Statistically speaking, two short parents are more likely to have a tall child than one short parent and one tall parent. Go figure. That kid really has shot up, I'm sure they weren't expecting that.

We saw David's mom in a couple of episodes. She was a little taller than him. We never saw the dad, so he could have been a tall guy. 

She was only in one episode, and it was one of the more moving episodes of the series because nobody realized up until that point how emotionally and verbally abusive David's mother was.

e.t.a. UYI is right, I stand corrected - two episodes.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, perkie1968 said:

I just found it funny that each time I've seen him for the past few episodes, I always do a double take and wonder who that is, and then remember that it's Marc.  It's like if anyone watches Young Sheldon and has noticed how deep Sheldon voice has gotten this year.  

OG mark/Glenn was tall not as tall as Dan/John but a good  5’10 to Jonnhy/David 5’5

Edited by Rocknrollzombie
  • Love 6
(edited)
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

She was only in one episode, and it was one of the more moving episodes of the series because nobody realized up until that point how emotionally and verbally abusive David's mother was.

She was actually in two: she has a brief appearance in the Christmas episode in season 5*, which is where Darlene first sees how abused David is, and then of course the one where David winds up moving in with the Conners, which was also in season 5.

*Speaking of which, that's the episode where Roseanne says, "You're not leaving me alone with the Judds tonight, Jackie!", when she tries to leave the Lunch Box to see Fisher, meaning Roseanne would be left to deal with Bev and Nana Mary by herself. Kind of poignant to think of now, given that we just lost Naomi. I actually quoted that line mere days before her death, too. 

Edited by UYI
  • Useful 4
  • Love 3
(edited)

I'm glad Alpo is gone, couldn't stand him.  and I think part Harris's reluctance to have a a baby so soon is the example of seeing s train wreck her mother made of her life.  In my mind David just gave up his parental rights so he didn't have to pay child support.

Why did't Louse know Elvin was so religious?  I assume they grew up  in the same house.

Please, please, dial Wacky Jacky back and whatever they do, don't let her have a change of life of baby--shes waaay to old for that.

eta:what the fuck was the clown doing there?  metaphor?

Edited by One Tough Cookie
  • Love 5
22 hours ago, DanaK said:

That was mostly fun. I’m so glad the writers decided to have Harris decide not to marry that idiot

Likewise, though it would have been fun to have Joe Walsh put in another appearance at the wedding (drunk, of course).

• Love 7
1 minute ago, CarpeFelis said:

Likewise, though it would have been fun to have Joe Walsh put in another appearance at the wedding (drunk, of course).

Hey, life’s been good to him so far!

• LOL 8
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Irate Panda said:

Was the clown actually suppose to be a good singer or was everyone being sarcastic?

Puddles Pity Party was the best part of this episode.  He's a singer who appeared on America's Got Talent, is on tour presently, and has lots of YouTube videos.  Yes, he's a good singer.

• Useful 5
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Puddles Pity Party was the best part of this episode.  He's a singer who appeared on America's Got Talent, is on tour presently, and has lots of YouTube videos.  Yes, he's a good singer.

Oh….I never heard of him…I don’t watch AGT.  I didn’t really think he was very good, but maybe I just didn’t like that song.  I’ll check out some of his other stuff.

I don’t know why they bothered pointing out the similar parts of the set from the original and new show because it makes the non-continuity of the writing and characters stick out even more, but I guess they thought maybe that was their last show.  Sadly, I’m sure I’ll watch at least some of next season although I think it’s terribly written and Darlene is awful.  I hope Ben doesn’t turn into either an awful person or a meek person living with her and please no surprise babies either.

• Love 8
(edited)

I finally got a glimpse of old Darlene in the scene with Becky about still moving in.   For some reason, I could actually see the resemblance to tween Darlene  in her  reaction to Becky’s insecurity.   
Old Darlene has been sadly lacking in the Conners episodes. In fact, new Darlene’s  just been sad period.    

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 9

The old set pictures reminded me that this show used to have tons of heart, made a point once in a while, and had pretty consistent and relatable characters and narrative. They've literally gutted the show of all of that for cheap, easy plot twisting and inane characterizations. ...but hey, they still have the same knickknacks. 

• Love 9
On 5/19/2022 at 9:02 AM, Irate Panda said:

I hope this means they are done with Aldo completely( the character irritates me as does the actor after seeing him in that one underwear commercial…I’m not sure I’d like him in any role.).

He's excellent in Righteous Gemstones.

• Useful 4
  • Love 2

I don't know why they never give Becky anything.   It's pretty crazy that nasty sour Darlene landed  a husband, dated other guys, literally had someone write a letter from their deathbed for her, on top of Hawaii tickets, gotten a huge promotion,  and Becky is crying about whether anyone even wants to live with her.  The one boyfriend she's had this whole time was some random old man professor who turned out to be a sad sack.  

I also think it's time to retire the 'darlene is so tiny and childlike' jokes.   Plenty of old shriveled old looking ladies are small lol.  

• Love 9
22 hours ago, lexiexx said:

I also think it's time to retire the 'darlene is so tiny and childlike' jokes.   Plenty of old shriveled old looking ladies are small lol.  

well-damn-quad-webb.gif.03a5e3328958ea8387564a31faba9934.gif

• LOL 10
On 5/19/2022 at 4:01 PM, perkie1968 said:

He was up at the front, beside Marc and Dan then walked out with Mary, behind Becky and Marc.  It was a blink and you miss him moment.  

Do we know who directed this episode.  Michael Fishman has directed a few, so maybe he was directing and that's why his role was non existant.  

On 5/19/2022 at 4:42 PM, ams1001 said:

I suspect they didn't expect him to sprout up like a sunflower when they cast him...now they just have to go with it. 

John Goodman is 6'2" (so says Google, anyway) so I guess we can assume the tall genes skipped a generation.

Harris is also quite tall. 

On 5/20/2022 at 9:29 PM, lexiexx said:

I don't know why they never give Becky anything.   It's pretty crazy that nasty sour Darlene landed  a husband, dated other guys, literally had someone write a letter from their deathbed for her, on top of Hawaii tickets, gotten a huge promotion,  and Becky is crying about whether anyone even wants to live with her.  The one boyfriend she's had this whole time was some random old man professor who turned out to be a sad sack.  

Agree. You don’t look like a child just because you are small. With that jacket, she kind of reminded me of granny from the Beverly Hillbillies.

image.jpeg.d64c3794b5292725e333c3fedd513832.jpeg

• LOL 10
  • Love 1

I noticed DJ in several scenes, although he had no lines.

Yeah I thought he was in the scene where they were planning the wedding and Neville announced he wanted a priest.

I finally got a glimpse of old Darlene in the scene with Becky about still moving in. 

What is up with Sara Gilbert's hair? Even "fixed up" it looked a hot mess.

• Love 7

Her hair being a mess and the jacket thing over a halloween bride costume and how she's just so teeny tiny, and how she's a raging asshole is all just part of her sparkle.   It's what brings all the boys to the yard and makes them overlook her more attractive and more pleasant sister.  

• LOL 8
  • Love 1