Type keyword(s) to search

Utopia (UK) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I'm not sure I have a problem with the *philosophy* but I have a big problem with the execution! It's just too fast! Dropping the birth rate a bit below replacement level is one thing, but sterilizing 90% of the population* is a little too Children of Men for me. Donaldson (RIP, I guess, asshole) is the only one who seems to have noticed that this would cause a complete breakdown of society and the safety net. Which is also what would happen as a result of overpopulation. So why bother! Just let us get to peak oil and then gouge each other's eyes out over *that*. It seems like a lot of work for basically the same end result.

* or, now, "everyone but the Roma," which is an even worse idea, no offense to the Roma - surely they make up more like 1% of the world's population, or less? (This is even leaving aside the whole idea of a biologically-identifiable Roma race, which I have pretty serious doubts about...)

I'm not sure I have a problem with the *philosophy* but I have a big problem with the execution! It's just too fast!

True, but maybe the assumption is that even with the pandemic panic, there are enough people who won't get the vaccine that it will level out at a reasonable percentage? I bet there are a lot of anti-vaxxers who are also opposed to contraception.

I bet there are a lot of anti-vaxxers who are also opposed to contraception.

Oof, and this is who you have to hang out with after the apocalypse - if it's not zombies or doomsday castle guys, it's quiverfulls. Wasn't the vaccine supposed to go contagious once it's in people (but maybe I'm just mixing up Janus and BlyssPluss, because then why would everyone have to get vaccinated at the same time)? If Janus doesn't get contagious, the Roma thing bugs me again - I'm pretty sure that, as a group, they're not particularly well-served by the Western medical system... probably a lot of them wouldn't get vaccinated anyway. For me the whole eugenics bit was narratively kind of useless and never really went anywhere. All that waiting for the reveal of which race he picked... what answer would have been good? What answer would have been especially bad?

You know what, I need to lay off the nitpickery. 

I didn't like this series as much as the first, but it still looks great and I think overall it's really well-paced (although the Terrence arc felt a bit rushed, maybe because I got a few eps behind and watched the last three almost back to back. On one of my frequent trips to the UK.).

• Love 1

So is there a season three on tap? The gang is still alive, and there's around 90 days left to stop the "controlled" flu release, or the V-Day vaccine itself. (I'm a little skeptical that the controlled epidemic would work, influenza is incredibly contagious.)

Will Lee stay dead this time?

Terrence's little chat at the bus station was frakking creepy.

It was chilling. Kind of stupid for someone on a super secret mission to indulge in provocation like that, but he's still unwinding from burger job stress, and honestly, true believers can be such *ssholes. ETA: since you used "frakking", it was very reminiscent of a certain controversial scene in the BSG pilot.

Edited by Latverian Diplomat

Oh ffs. So now we have to deal with the USA adaptation. 

Eh, this was a fucked up show. Good for them for letting it on. There's a footballer who plays for Man City, who is called Milner that makes me laugh all the time.

This is a show that let it rip. Just 6 more hours of show? Come on.

Heh, "Milner. His name's Milner."

I agree. This show would have been fucking legacy! And more people would discover it with the american version coming. Just six more episodes and Dennis Kelly could have concluded it like he meant to. I wonder if it had something to do with the remake. "Well it will continue there so we don't really have to waste money on it here," or some such. If that's how execs think.

I hope they bring Cristobal Tapia de Veer on to compose if he's available.

Edited by joelene

This show was and is great and I’m really hoping they do a season 3 but I can’t get my head around the Americans copying the idea and changing the colour but not the names 🤔 There versions a MESS and should NOT have been done... 

At the start is said BASED on the ORIGINAL but should have said COPIED from the original and shuffled about from the Original...

I watched maybe not even 5mins of it and was Very disappointed when I realised it’s just a Lazy unimaginative shuffled copy of the original... 

why ?  Don’t people use there imaginations anymore ?  They just copy and change things ? 

i’ll never watch the America one it’s ah joke...