Type keyword(s) to search

Please Like Me - General Discussion

Athena
  • Start Topic

I think it is really strange that Pivot does not replay the episode at least once during the week for those that might miss the Friday night 10pm airing.  And this show is not available On Demand?  It seems as though Pivot really doesn't have much interest in promoting this series, which is a shame. 

Hmm, thoughts anyone?  I enjoyed this episode, especially the bits about Tom trying to get them all to leave ... I am new to posting pics - I hope I get it right and you can see the pic below.

https://www.facebook.com/pleaselikemeABC2/photos/a.685788458138828.1073741826.332602973457380/1044303492287321/?type=3&theater

Any thoughts/feelings on new character Ella?  If Claire comes back, what does that mean for a possible interest between Tom and Ella? 

I love Tom and Claire together, so if they do not reunite romantically, I hope the friendship can remain, and not throw off the whole group dynamic. 

I like this show so much, but I don't know what to say after I watch it. I want to comment, because it stays with me and I adore it. But honestly, I just feel so emotional and verbally pretty silent after most of the episodes.

I sooooo get that - and usually feel the same way.  I have a tendency to think my opinions on the episode will be so inferior to what I just witnessed - so perhaps it's best that I just keep my trap shut!!! 

I must say I am loving Claire is back; at least one of my wishes for this show has come true.  I wish she still wasn't the "alone" and "lonely" girl, but that probably aided the character's return from Germany, so I'll live with it!!

R.I.P. Adele - you were a beauty.

This was a great episode--I didn't like the last two because I have no interest in drugs or killing animals.  But this great, I loved when Josh was pointing out how absurd his mom's revenge plot was, and the ending with Clarezilla was just perfect. 

the ending with Clarezilla was just perfect.

It was beautiful, and subtle: I didn't immediately get how apt it was that an episode about Claire getting an abortion should end with her "trampling" a city, and learning not to be sad or guilty about doing so. When John turned out to be a pacifist (hee!), and Tom turned to her and said, "Claire, you seem quite angry for some reason. You feel like crushing some civilization?" they could have over-written the scene and rained anvils on us (by having the line be something like, "you feel like TAKING SOME LIVES?!"). But, nope, Please Like Me is not cheap like that.

• Love 2

I've never really warmed to Arnold that much, but he was adorable in the Southern Star "observation wheel".

I know it's because there are issues with product placement on the show's Australian network and with FCC censorship on its US network, but the generic terms like "the observation wheel" (instead of actually mentioning its name, like, you wouldn't do it with the London Eye) and "penis" (they're twenty-somethings in Australia, they'd say "dick" or "cock" or something similarly vulgar) kind of take me out of the show whenever they turn up, and I wish I could get over it. :(

I didn't care for the season finale very much.   Personally, I wouldn't sit through a christmas dinner with people who's version of holiday cheer was to neglect their child, leaving her alone to cry herself to sleep in the other room.  Leaving babies to 'cry it out' damages them, it doesn't make them more resilient.  I don't blame Arnold for leaving, and I wouldn't blame Tom's girlfriend if she took off either.  They really don't respect each other's boundaries, insisting on bringing up uncomfortable, relationship-destroying subjects over and over again. I really like and relate to Arnold, and I've enjoyed his story arc, but if he's not going to be Josh's love interest anymore next season, I could live with that. 

This season had some great episodes but was not my favorite, as it seems to veer away from storylines into 'special interest' episodes.  I think the Claire character has really devolved from season 1 and I'm not sure who exactly she is anymore.   Ella just seems to be Neihm 2.0. 

Edited by Glade
On 8/25/2014 at 11:33 PM, resonance said:

I love how the relationships in this series are so real. They are probably the most true to life of any television series that I've ever seen, heterosexual and homosexual. 

Here's me in 2019 with my comment. Ha! Welp, better late than never. I am so happy I found this show. I needed this show!

There is no way to sum up how much I love and appreciate Josh and the gang, but besides being entertained, this show was an education for me in coping with mental illness in a kind and capable way. Josh was able to care for his loved ones with his whole heart and yet didn't let their emotional crises drain or drown him. I am so proud of him and I hope to feel a little lighter about dealing with my parents' dementia and my husband's anxiety.

My top two favourite scenes were:

1. The gang singing "Someone Like You" to Adele, the stewed chicken (although I couldn't watch the actual killing).

2. Arnold and Josh's dad role-playing Arnold coming out to his father.

I also so thoroughly enjoyed Josh's joy any time he was interacting with or babysitting his baby sister. I also loved the opening theme song every episode.

Although I loved everybody who was a part of this series, it is Hannah who will really stick with me. The very first time I saw her hammering her ankle bone I swear I almost threw up. I still tear up thinking about her self-hatred and the damage she felt she had to inflict on herself. She was so funny through her pain and I love her personality and her style. Hannah feels so familiar to me and I know I will really miss her. I wish I could keep her in my life/on my tv. I know Hannah Gadsby does stand up and I have watched "Nanette" as well as clips on youtube. It isn't exactly the same, but close!

Amazing that a show could be this funny and light of heart while it addressed such sad, difficult, and real emotional issues/situations. They handled it so well.

• Love 3

I am definitely a latecomer to this series (watching on Netflix) and stumbled on it purely by accident and I'm enjoying it so much.  It is so warm and endearing, hilariously lol funny one moment and tragic the next.  It deals with love, friendship, family, breakups, death and especially mental illness in a such a warm and gentle manner, it truly is a unique series.  It moves along quickly and the episodes are less than 30 min so is easy to get through but I don't ever want it to end,  the characters are beautifully developed showing the subtle flaws we all innately have in such a relatable way.  

• Love 4