Type keyword(s) to search

Please Like Me - General Discussion

Athena
  • Start Topic

Finally, we have a subforum for this up-and-coming show. 

My first reactions to this episode were "What happened to Claire"? The Niamh-Claire-Tom love triangle was just heating up and I was looking forward to the craziness. 

The group dynamic also really changes without her. It felt like an even balance between male and female prior to this but now it is predominantly male. I don't really mind a gender imbalance; but the tone of the show feels different and I'm not sure how to receive that.

Patrick is added into the cast; but, I'm not sure what I really feel about him yet. With an extra homosexual roommate added to the bunch, this show will officially move into the gay genre territory. I hope he doesn't become Josh's love interest because the group should have a 4th member.

Also, is that really Josh's dad? The actor looks really different from last season. 

Edited by resonance
Also, is that really Josh's dad? The actor looks really different from last season.

I'm pretty sure it's the same man. 

And I'm with you. I'm not sure what Patrick really adds, but maybe it's too early to tell. For now, he just seems like a cute love interest for Josh, not such a bad thing.

I enjoyed the scene when Josh and friend were looking through the window and narrating what Tom was saying to the very young woman he was trying to work his magic on. 

And, of course, Josh's mom, the actress who plays her, did a fantastic job.

Another great scene: Who has the saddest losing your virginity story. And the woman who said she was raped, knowing that she would get the last chocolate. The depressed look on her face throughout was priceless and dead-on.

After falling in love with Season One and watching it several times, I was a bit disappointed with the premiere of Season 2. It felt frantic and all over the place, which may have been the point, but it felt like a different energy than what I had come to expect from the show.

BUT "Ham" was a great episode and I've rewatched it a few times already.

So what did everything think about this episode?

I love how the relationships in this series are so real. They are probably the most true to life of any television series that I've ever seen, heterosexual and homosexual. 

Josh and Geoffrey just get along ever so slightly. There isn't this amazing chemistry that you see between actors 99% of the time on TV. These are two people who go to dinner, make an effort to get along, and sometimes have not much to talk about. And there isn't huge dramatic breakups or drama. They're bothered by simple things.

I really like the detail that Josh and Geoffrey had not seen each other in a year. I dislike how television series just sometimes treat exes as regular friends and bring them into the main clique and I certainly did not like seeing that with Claire. Acknowledging that their relationship had changed is important. Another very true to life detail was how Geoffrey asked Josh about no longer 'being friends' when he himself wanted someone to sleep with. You don't see this subtle social cues on other shows.

It looks like Josh may be lapsing into an on-again off-again thing with Geoffrey. This would be the 3rd time in the short life span of the series. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I like the actor who plays Geoffrey; but, I also feel the show needs to do something more with him. Geoffrey was right about Josh only wanting him as an emotional prop last season and losing interest in him the rest of the time. I feel like either of them should catch on to this before impulsively jumping into bed.

Tom's new girl is so completely sweet. I love how she just subtly indicates that she expects Tom to be exclusive without making a big deal over it. Also, her telling Tom that he was sweet/cute for not telling her about his dead rabbit was a highlight of the episode.

On a side note, does anybody know about Please Like Me's ratings on Pivot? Is that even published? 

Edited by resonance

OMG, Claire is coming back!!

Patrick was so nice to Josh in this episode. I like how kind he was to Josh despite the fact that Josh was in fact uncaring and I like how Patrick could be nice but in a different way than Geoffrey.

Niamh is simply evil. Kind of funny Tom's girlfriend took him back over a rabbit.

Edited by resonance

Ginger is dead and I don't feel sad about it. Does that make me a bad person?

Tom just goes from one psycho girlfriend to another. Jenny's behavior was certainly erratic today. 

Did anyone get the reason Josh's father gave for why Josh needed a job?

Edited by resonance

Yeah, I don't like the institution storyline that much either. You know what I find strange about that place? The make up of Rose's clique.

I don't see Arnold or the depressed girl hanging out with Rose and Ginger instead of people more around their age group. Even Ginger and Rose feels strange to me. Please Like Me is partly about unconventional TV pairings, though, given the acclaim it has for the Josh-parents dynamic so there's that.

The other thing I don't like about Ginger is how she takes away from Rose, who used to be the fun and zany one. Now Rose just seems so drab and legitimately depressed all the time. I wonder if she reverts to her old self now that Ginger is gone.

Edited by resonance

This show has so much critical acclaim; but, the ratings are plain awful. Even in Australia! I hope it gains more traction soon because Please Like Me is definitely one of the best shows on television with the most true to life relationships that I've seen for a long time.  

I like the show, but Josh's accent is very different from everyone else.   I guess I don't understand Australian accents.  Someone told me the accents are based more on class or education than region. 

No, he just has a super weird accent even to Australian ears and no one, including Josh, seems to know why. Here is an interview where he talks about it.

• Love 1

Please Like Me pulled a Looking - and I have to say it worked for me. I liked the reveal that the premier wasn't the first time Rose tried to kill herself - that really explains a lot. 

Josh is a really good son, and I, too, found the discussion about his anger fascinating. He's probably exhausted from dealing with his family, which is why he doesn't have a lot of patience with drama and angst. On the other hand it also makes him understand how to deal very well. 

I also liked Geoffrey being brought up. I miss him. 

Does the actor who plays Josh's dad use eyeliner? His eyes always look so dark and strange to me.

Also, does Claire's explanation of why she left for Germany mean that she's staying now that the cat is out of the bag of why she left? I like Claire.

Josh's treatment of Patrick and Tom was cold...

Edited by resonance

Paraphrasing because I don't remember the exact details after so long; but, Claire said the reason why she actually left to Germany was so that she could let Tom down gently. (Claire and Tom had an off screen relationship between seasons.) It was also the reason or part of the reason Tom became so upset because he thought him and Claire were great.

• Love 1

It shouldn't be as compelling as it is, but it is. Tom was a real dick tonight though, I guess it is his turn. The psychiatrist was weird and I am liking Josh's ability to keep a cool head more and more.

I still miss Geoffrey though.

I haven't LOVED the show since Geoffrey left.  I still enjoy the show and look forward to each new episode, but I thought Geoffrey's character and chemistry (or non-chemistry) with the other characters was so gripping. Fantastic character portrayed by an excellent actor.

• Love 2

I can't help but feel a little cheated that both Geoffrey and Claire were taken away at the same time.  I adore both characters and really enjoyed their interactions with the other characters.  It was nice to see each one of them return, albeit for a short run.  At the same time, it also made me realize that I really like and miss these characters so much that I am not enjoying season 2 as much as season 1 because of it.  The writing is still superb, and the new characters are great, but I really miss Geoffrey and Claire's additions to the plot. 

• Love 2

Re: Season Finale

Rosannah? I sensed the direction they may be going; but, ewww... The age difference is too big. Definitely don't want to see more of that.

Patrick is a complete dick. But, he's also right that Josh was kind of an ass to him after their entire relationship floundered so no one really is the bad guy. Closure of sorts? Haha... I'm glad that we got to see him one last time.

This season finale was definitely anti-climatic compared to last year's. No real cliffhangers. I can't help but think the showrunner is prepping up for cancellation even though the show had been renewed 2 seasons.

Was anyone else concerned with Tom lying face down in the hot tub? I was scared for a quick moment.

Yeah, I'm glad they didn't go there.

• Love 2

The Rosannah thing was hilarious.

I liked the finale. I'm glad there wasn't a cliffhanger, there are enough shows that make me anxious for more after a cliffhanger finale. I also like that Mae didn't wanna marry Dad (blanking on his name). Just because you're a couple doesn't mean you have to get married.

I miss Claire like crazy when she's not around so I'm just glad we got her for the four episodes this season what with her American career. It could've been zero! I hope they film during her break next season. I liked Geoffrey but I can't say I've missed him that much. He reached his inevitable end.

Best part of the season? When the gang went to see the school musical stands out.

• Love 1

I don't know - I think Claire's played out a little - Josh already has a best friend in Tom. Not sure about Anthony(?) - the new boyfriend - but Josh seems to like him so I wish them well. I don't think Geoffrey is played out. I hated the way they ended in a bit - last season Geoffrey was there giving Josh support, and this time he ran out because he wasn't comfortable crying in front of Josh. Geoffrey likes Josh a lot and there are still unresolved feelings there. And to be honest, I'm not shipping the 2 of them - I just want to find out what's up with Geoffrey and follow his life too. He's as pitiful and poignant as the rest of them - not to mention oh so pretty. 

• Love 1

Yes, Romantic Idiot, I do want to see what happens with Geoffrey.  I hope he surfaces once in a while so I can hopefully see that he is happy and if in a relationship, hopefully receiving the same amount of devotion he is offering to his partner.  Wade portrays Geoffrey brilliantly, and "beautifully"! 

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/josh-and-Geoffrey

Edited Geoffrey's actor's name - had a "duh" auto-pilot moment when I was originally typing!!

Edited by Maccagirl
  • Love 1
(edited)

I just watched through the whole series back to back, and it really changed my opinion.  At first I was so jarred by the first episode of season 2 that I stopped watching, but now I think I prefer the second season actually, with a few caveats.  I had hoped to never see Neimh again, was really dissapointed that she was still around and Claire wasn't.  Also, I don't know if Tom's appearance (gaining twenty pounds, sunburning his face and growing a beard) was meant to be a commentary on how defeated and depressed the character is this season, but I hope he reverts back to his cute S1 self for season three and makes some emotional progress.   Watching his character be so down in the dumps was not fun. 

Josh on the other hand dresses so much better (and has nicer hair) in S2, which also makes sense for the character since he's no longer in his awkward coming out stage.  I loved Josh's relationship with Arnold and how they ended their last scene in an almost homage to Mysterious Skin. That and the camping episode were just gorgeous.  It's too bad that stupid Patrick ruined Josh's night out with Arnold. 

Edited by Glade

I just spent the day rewatching it all back to back. God I spent most of season two missing Geofrey. He was too good for Josh. That relationship wasn't balanced at all and Josh was pretty much a jerk the entire time. Geoffrey is pretty much the ideal boyfriend. I also missed Claire because she is great fun. Glad they managed to bring her back for a bit.

Roll on Season 3.

• Love 3

Does anyone have any info on when Season 3 will premiere?  I am interested in the US premiere date, because that's where I live, but any info at all is appreciated.  I subscribe to their FB and Twitter sites, but have not seen any dates offered yet.  Thanks in advance for any and all info.

US air date October 16, 2015 on Pivot!!

Thanks so much for the info!  I am going through August start-up withdrawals, but at least knowing a start date has been determined and is in a couple of months, I think I'll be okay!! 

US air date October 16, 2015 on Pivot!!

Thanks so much for the info!  I am going through August start-up withdrawals, but at least knowing a start date has been determined and is in a couple of months, I think I'll be okay!! 

Josh is surprised to find he’s living in a romcom. Despite grand romantic gestures, elaborate dates and barely edible vegetarian meals, he still can’t seem to win Arnold over, even with the help of his friends and family.

Airdate listed seems to be for the Australian broadcast; may be different in the US.

I loved this episode!  I'm so glad that Arnold and Josh (not to mention Josh and John the dog, it was so cute seeing them taking a bath together!) are still working things out, I really like them together.  And it's great that there was no huge time-jump/cast change from season 2, but lots of continuity leading us forward.  This is the best, most adorable show ever. 

I love this show so much. It's just so sweet and funny and awkward and absolutely true to life.

Arnold's critique of "Love, Actually" was perfection.

"When you're on your own, you don't have to have someone to answer to to make you realize how truly fucked you are." WORD. This show has handily summed up the entirety of my commitment issues in one sentence.

• Love 1
This is the best, most adorable show ever.
I love this show so much. It's just so sweet and funny and awkward and absolutely true to life.

Arnold's critique of "Love, Actually" was perfection.

Sooo much, sooo true.

I can't figure out why the kissing on this show always looks so real to me. Most of the time, when I see actors kissing, all I see is actors kissing. It doesn't matter what gender combinations or relationship style is being portrayed, or how much I'm suspending disbelief in other ways while watching, I am always very aware of how staged the kissing looks. But on this show, the kissing always looks so authentic to me, I often forget it's scripted and fake.

Does anyone have insight into whether they are directing or lighting or otherwise staging it in some way that's unusual, or why it might seem more real? For that matter, does anyone else have this same reaction to it? It's not just Josh and Arnold. I had the same reaction when it was Josh and Patrick or Geoffrey.

Actually, I'm just realizing it's only Josh. Tom's kisses seem as actorly and staged as most other TV or movie kisses.

The rest of the show, including Josh in other moments, does not at all have the same "forget they're acting" quality-- it's only when Josh + someone else is kissing.

So why? And does anyone else see the same thing?

I think it's funny that eggplant is the go-to for meat-eaters who cook for vegetarians. I have never understood why that would be.

I have to confess I'm with the rest of Josh's family in this - I don't see what Josh sees in Arnold. But obviously Josh is into him, and it's good for him to be in a relationship in which he's way more invested than the other guy, after the way he treated Geoffrey. But it spoils my enjoyment a bit. 

Oh well. Still love the show. Still miss Geoffrey. 

• Love 1

I have to confess I'm with the rest of Josh's family in this - I don't see what Josh sees in Arnold. But obviously Josh is into him, and it's good for him to be in a relationship in which he's way more invested than the other guy, after the way he treated Geoffrey. But it spoils my enjoyment a bit. 

Oh well. Still love the show. Still miss Geoffrey. 

I must be another romantic idiot!!   I totally agree with you.  I enjoyed Arnold as a regular character, but I do not enjoy him with Josh at all.  I do not get it, I do not see chemistry with the two of them at all.  I really liked Geoffrey.  Most people think fans only like Geoffrey because he is cute.  Yes, he is cute, but I really enjoyed the character they created for him and I thought Wade portrayed it beautifully.  Plus, he is the one who helped Josh to realize he is gay.  I wish he could at least still be in the show as a friend character, but I know things don't always work out that way in real life and this show tries to keep it as real as possible.  I do hope Claire comes back more, and not just in Skype sessions.  She and Geoffrey are my two favorite younger characters.  Mom and John the dog are my two favorite characters out of the entire cast.  John and Josh taking a bath together; does it get any cuter?  I think not.  I hope next week's episode is a bit better, and not sooooo focused on Josh and Arnold and all of Arnold's issues and the permeating awkwardness. 

• Love 1

I don't miss Geoffrey. I found him kind of needy and bland. I actually wish we'd gotten to know more about Patrick. "I like to kiss you and hug you and spend time with you" (but don't want to fuck you) is an unusual set up, I thought. And he seemed genuinely upset that Josh basically froze him out completely after that. I understood why Josh felt rejected, but I'm not sure that story was as one-sided as all that.

What I like about the Arnold story is that the show treats him as a fully rounded character, not letting him be a one dimensional "mentally ill" trope, but giving him an actual personality besides. And Josh deals with the illness, but does not give up his own needs, or make the connection be ABOUT the illness. He's not a martyr or a hero, he's just a boyfriend. And Arnold is sometimes a selfish dick, and it's not handwaved as "well he can't help it." This is much more realistic and nuanced than the usual fiction about how people with disabling stuff going on are lesser humans, unlovable, definitely sexually null, and either a burden or a way to get your ego off by affording opportunity for savior behavior.

Arnold is a bit high maintenance, but he's not totally uninteresting, either. I can see why Josh is into him-- he's funny and sexy and there's a few layers to get to know. Compare him to Tom, for instance. Tom is certainly no more interesting, and he's a terrible boyfriend. But we have to see his endlessly ridiculous drivel with Jenny and Niamh, and it seems normal, just because he hasn't got a label slapped on to clinically explain him.

Actually, I like how Tom says he has always really just wanted to lie around on the couch, even since he was a little kid. When Josh says: "Nailed it! Your 10 year old self would be very happy with you!" I laughed so much. I kind of think it's true that some of us just don't have great ambitions, and are content to live day to day at a kind of level state, where others are so bored by that and constantly chasing excitement which amounts to little more. Only a minority have actual ambition to anything approximating greatness.

I looooved "now that you've got the chicken on your head is a good time to tell you I love you." I also like that Josh was finally able to say his feelings matter. He still has trouble doing that with his mother, but I liked that she was shown thinking of his well-being in this episode, as well. And Mae was awesome.

• Love 2

Arnold's singing was amazing, and a high point of the episode, that entire scene was beautiful, after we got past Josh being a little bit too pushy with everyone.  I guess we won't actually see Arnold's parents on the show, but I'm excited to hear how his coming out goes.  It's funny that Claire actually stayed on skype with them all night.   It was kind of nice to see Mae actually treat Josh's dad a bit better, act more reasonable even though it's just because she admitted to doing something really horrible herself.  I hope their relationship can actually grow beyond the cycle of nagging, bickering, and complaining. 

I really was on Tom's side here, he obviously did put a lot of work into getting in shape since season 2, and I really hate to see people's diets/food intolerance's/preferences/eating disorders/allergies or whatever being disrespected.  This was kind of like last season where Josh went off on his date who just shared what a good reiki session he had.  Regardless of what you think, doesn't mean you have to judge and obnoxiously shove your opinion on it into someone else's face. 

• Love 2

I feel bad for Josh, with his two needy parents, who call him for emotional support and basically reverse roles on him. It's really a wonder he's as functional as he is, and rather impressive that he handles everything with as much equanimity as he manages to do. It also explains quite well why he's able to deal with Arnold when Arnold is being high maintenance; Josh has lots of practice. He can probably people-wrangle in his sleep! And at the same time, he thoroughly understands that people really can love you and be lovable, even if they have a few areas of high-flaring stress.

• Love 1

I enjoyed this episode much more than the season opener.  I am hoping Claire's return will help expand the plot lines for future episodes.  I've always enjoyed her character.  I wonder if she and Tom will navigate to one another again?  Even if I do not fully enjoy the plot, I am always amazed by the acting.  Josh's Dad was brilliant in this episode.  My favorite, hands down, is always Josh's Mom.  Debra Lawrance is beyond words with her portrayal of the complicated mother character.  I was agreeing with her profusely when she was talking about Arnold to Josh, and wondering why Josh likes being with him.  Her self-banter makes me squeal with delight.

• Love 1
Josh, Tom and Arnold have a night to remember as they experiment with drugs, head to a nightclub, meet the intriguing Ella and end up spending a long and surprising night in hospital.

That's not water, but you'll definitely be springing.