Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: all the sauces

• Start Topic

(edited)
On 5/16/2022 at 1:52 PM, aghst said:

We saw that in the first murder in the hotel room, a grisly scene with the blood coming out of the eye of the victim -- Hader said they researched how corpses of murders look.

That scene went on for so long, watching the blood ooze out of his nose and eyes, it was really graphic and real.  This show is so good, and real and uncomfortable, but also hilarious.  

I am trying to figure out when that hit happened.  Was that hit in the first season?  Annabeth Gish was brown haired and younger-looking when she was on the phone with him, and then gray haired and much older looking when Fuches comes to the house.  Fuches mentioned to the son that he gave up a scholarship or something when his dad was killed, but the son doesn't look much older than college.

Edited by heatherchandler
  • Like 2

Yes the hit is from the pilot.

I don't know if they planned to use it again 2 seasons later or they reconstructed the scene and then built a story about his wife and son later.

I believe it's the latter, though Hader mentioned it is from the pilot and I guess wanted to show how Barry's hits have left a lot of pain and misery, even though it wasn't emphasized at the time or through most of the the first two seasons.

Makes you think that the ending of the series will have Barry either die or get captured, because he's killed too many for him to just walk away and get what he wants.

• Love 1

A mark of good writing is being able to take a character I generally don't like and make her sympathetic. To feel for her on a basic human level, however much she may annoy or disappoint me. I don't want to like Sally, Goddammit, but I was proud of her for breaking up with Barry. It was absolutely the right move. Not only did Barry yell at her in way that was completely unhinged, but he did it at her place of work, in front of all her co-workers. This is classic abuser behavior. I don't know that Barry would ever physically hurt Sally, but that scene at work was definitely emotionally abusive. And poor Katie was more right than she knew -- Barry most certainly is a violent man. We don't really know WHAT the hell he's capable of.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

The balance of comedy and drama in this episode is perfection.
Last episode seemed unworthy of a show winning comedy awards, but now the totality of the season and series has righted itself.

I guess I'll have to find some Reddit rabbit hole where I can chuckle with others about the nerd-perfect joke punchline of:
"Have you tried turning off the Wifi?"
--because turning off Wifi really is a counterintuitive but often effective fix, which I can easily imagine Hader thinking was deserving of a joke, especially since it fits so easily into the Rule of Three of joke writing, with the tech support person giving (at least) 2 other benign suggestions before "Have you tried turning off the Wifi?"

And then, of course, the tech support person continues with:
"Alright. Sounds like we were successful. Is there anything else I can help you with today?"

And kudos for creating an inoffensive bomb joke that only blows up assassins with high powered rifles in a peaceful suburb, only mildly injuring with shrapnel the good bad guy.

On 5/16/2022 at 10:12 AM, Dev F said:
On 5/16/2022 at 12:10 AM, PinkRibbons said:

I'm calling it that Annabeth Gish put out the hit on her husband.

But wouldn't Fuches know that, since he's the one who books the hits in the first place? I doubt that he was suggesting to the people who originally hired him that they get revenge for the killings they themselves paid for.

If Annabeth Gish's character did put the hit on her husband, that just makes her conform to the metaphor of a panther in the fable. 

On 5/17/2022 at 5:50 AM, grandmabegum said:

I definitely think Gish and her son are going after Barry. They have his address, they don't have Fuches's. 
Of course, because Sally broke up with Barry and told him to move out he won't be there.

Yeah. Some of us cats have 9 lives. 😼

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 2
On 5/16/2022 at 3:15 PM, iMonrey said:

Well, let's be realistic, Sally should stay far, far away from Barry for her own safety, that's just a fact. She obviously doesn't know what he's involved with and how dangerous his life is but any way she comes to that decision is for the best, for her own protection. Whether or not Barry's outburst merits a diagnosis of abusiveness is sort of a moot point. He's a killer for hire and he's involved with a lot of shady characters. Nobody in his orbit is safe.

Yes, he killed his best friend from the Marines and he killed his Chechen army trainees, who worshipped him. I recall the brilliantly tragic scene where his Chechen friend was aiming the gun at the door in the monastery and when Barry walked in he relaxed and smiled, only to be shot. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 1
On 5/20/2022 at 6:11 PM, heatherchandler said:

That scene went on for so long, watching the blood ooze out of his nose and eyes, it was really graphic and real.  This show is so good, and real and uncomfortable, but also hilarious.  

I am trying to figure out when that hit happened.  Was that hit in the first season?  Annabeth Gish was brown haired and younger-looking when she was on the phone with him, and then gray haired and much older looking when Fuches comes to the house.  Fuches mentioned to the son that he gave up a scholarship or something when his dad was killed, but the son doesn't look much older than college.

For a second I thought the dead guy was NoHo Hank, oddly enough. Probably they did that on purpose. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie

I loved the customer service line for the bomb detonation app.  "Sounds like we've been successful" lol.  Barry must be leaving a ton of clues behind him with most of these activities, but I guess part of the joke is that the law enforcement is so hopelessly inept.

If I were Mr. Cousineau, I'd be wary of spending that money, not knowing where it came from.  I'd be worried that it would be marked or the serial numbers would be documented.