Type keyword(s) to search

Dirty Dancing (1987): Nobody puts Baby in a corner

• Start Topic

Okay, since a sequel is coming whether we want it or not, and it’s just turned 35, let’s start a thread for Dirty Dancing!

The Take did a pretty good video on how it’s actually more feminist than it appears—problematic age difference between Johnny and Baby aside:

• Love 8

That it's a feminist film is why it's one of the few romantic comedies I like.  Baby doesn't have to change a damn thing about herself to get the guy, and she holds onto all her other interests and passions rather than becoming all about him.

• Love 15

And Patrick playing Johnny smashed the Bad Boy Trope perfectly. Sure he’s all machismo at first, but he’s also tender and sensitive, not just with Baby, but with Penny. He loved her like a sister and was willing to do anything to protect her. He was honest enough to admit how he didn’t really like the rich ladies treating him like a gigolo. It would have been really easy for him to write Dr. Houseman off as just another snob, but he genuinely respected him for his care of Penny and wanted his approval.

• Love 14
(edited)

Yes, I love the scenes between Johnny and Dr. Houseman.  

When Johnny tries to talk to him, and takes off his sunglasses as a sign of respect, but winds up delivering the terrific "Yeah, I guess that's what you would see" and walking away when it all goes to hell.  And then when Dr. Houseman comes up to him after the talent show and extends his hand.  "When I'm wrong, I say I'm wrong."

One of my favorite aspects of the film is Johnny is impressed and inspired, not intimidated, by how intelligent and ambitious Baby is.  He believes she can go save the world, and would be damn proud of every accomplishment.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 15
35 minutes ago, Bastet said:

When Johnny tries to talk to him, and takes off his sunglasses as a sign of respect, but winds up delivering the terrific "Yeah, I guess that's what you would see" and walking away when it all goes to hell

Ooh yeah. I liked that Johnny was even butter or angry, just resigned.

• Love 3

The movie is from the woman's perspective. We see Johnny through Baby's eyes. He is the one who is sexualized, not Baby. Everyone remembers Baby's line "I carried a watermelon," and it's totally relatable because so many people have said something stupid in front of a crush. I love that the scene is actually about two people trying to be cool and failing on an epic level. Billy realizes he has a chance to show off and thinks that making it seem as though he brought a resort guest to the party would win him status points. There's flash of anger in Johnny's eyes and Baby realizes what's going on, tries to cover, and that's where the watermelon line comes in. It's brilliant. The soundtrack is fantastic. 

• Love 13
7 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

Everyone remembers Baby's line "I carried a watermelon,"

To this very day, if I say something lame, I flash to that line.  Jennifer Grey nails the delivery, both the earnestness with which Baby initially says it, and then the holy hell, did I really just say that embarrassment as she asks herself aloud, "'I carried a watermelon?!'"

It makes up for the delivery of "Most of all I'm scared of walking out of this room and never feeling again the rest of my whole life the way I feel when I'm with you" that always makes me cringe.

I saw this in the theatre because a friend wanted to, and always liked it more than most films of the genre, but as the years of watching at least part of it every time it turned up on TV went on I wound up truly appreciating it to the point I bought some anniversary-edition Blu-Ray with a bunch of special features and watched them all years ago.

"Nobody puts Baby in a corner" is of course iconic, but my favorite moment of that scene is when Dr. Houseman starts to go after them and his wife physically prevents him, and moments later says "Sit down, Jake" when he tries again - and he sits the fuck down.  "I think she gets this from me" about the dancing is a delightful line as well.  Another feminist aspect of the film is Marjorie is a product of her time, yes, but not a cartoon.

• LOL 1
  • Love 16

When I watched it as a teenager, I didn't fully appreciate it, I just thought about it as one of those dancing movies with iconic dance and a romantic storyline, like Flashdance or Step Up (interestingly, I also gained more appreciation for Flashdance upon rewatching). Now I can also see how feminist it is and how much of a journey Baby made. I never liked the nickname Baby though and part of me can't get over it.

I am not sure how I feel about the sequel yet.

• Love 7

Wait they are making a sequel to this movie? Not a remake like the Cuban one. Why?

I only saw this movie because everyone always talks about it. I loved it, but then appreciated it more when I watched it again when I was older. It's one of the few DVD's I kept. Lol

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

Wait they are making a sequel to this movie? Not a remake like the Cuban one. Why?

My guess is that it's a recognizable piece of intellectual property and the studio thinks they can make money off of it. There is no reason to do so, unless there is an amazing script/story, but I highly doubt that. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

My guess is that it's a recognizable piece of intellectual property and the studio thinks they can make money off of it. There is no reason to do so, unless there is an amazing script/story, but I highly doubt that. 

This times a billion.

• Love 5
On 5/13/2022 at 11:57 PM, Bastet said:

"Nobody puts Baby in a corner" is of course iconic, but my favorite moment of that scene is when Dr. Houseman starts to go after them and his wife physically prevents him, and moments later says "Sit down, Jake" when he tries again - and he sits the fuck down.  "I think she gets this from me" about the dancing is a delightful line as well.  Another feminist aspect of the film is Marjorie is a product of her time, yes, but not a cartoon.

His wife was played by Kelly Bishop, and she's fantastic!  Gilmore Girls fans know her as the indomitable Emily Gilmore.

• Love 10
On 5/22/2022 at 1:49 PM, izabella said:

His wife was played by Kelly Bishop, and she's fantastic!  Gilmore Girls fans know her as the indomitable Emily Gilmore.

And she was in the original cast of A Chorus Line, which makes the “She gets it from me” line even better.

• Love 10
(edited)

It is bittersweet for me to watch because of Patrick's death, but I do love Dirty Dancing. It is like Pretty Woman in that it's one of those classic romantic movies that isn't a tearjerker like The Notebook or Titanic. (I do tear up during the goodbye scene.) There are indeed a lot of positive messages in it too, definitely more feminist than so many other romantic movies. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 5
On 5/14/2022 at 12:57 AM, Bastet said:

To this very day, if I say something lame, I flash to that line.  Jennifer Grey nails the delivery, both the earnestness with which Baby initially says it, and then the holy hell, did I really just say that embarrassment as she asks herself aloud, "'I carried a watermelon?!'"

It makes up for the delivery of "Most of all I'm scared of walking out of this room and never feeling again the rest of my whole life the way I feel when I'm with you" that always makes me cringe.

I saw this in the theatre because a friend wanted to, and always liked it more than most films of the genre, but as the years of watching at least part of it every time it turned up on TV went on I wound up truly appreciating it to the point I bought some anniversary-edition Blu-Ray with a bunch of special features and watched them all years ago.

One of the cut scenes was a scene where Marjorie told Baby about her summer romance as a youth that didn't work out..so I think she wanted to make sure no one interfered with Baby and Johnny.

Baby's sister Lisa and the hula hana song in the background while Johnny resists taking money was my fav scene.