Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E22: Day In The Hole

• Start Topic

This episode was just bizarre - it was structured so oddly. You think they would've ended the Chenford plot (such a stupid plot) in a spot that would've made some sense... not "let's go inside and plan until we get the call!" I honestly thought my DVR must've messed up in some way until I checked the episode on Hulu. They could've literally just had another minute of then talking, then the phone rings and it is Criminal Guy summoning them.

Also, uhhh, the sheriff went on vacation and a guy just out of training gets sent there AND the keys to the safe aren't left? They should've at least had the keys and seen that maybe there were just some old guns with only a few bullets because "budget cuts" (that would've been better than "we can only check fingerprints during business hours because of budget cuts" since those systems are not something that goes first during budget cuts)

This episode needed to be a two parter and not "The Rookie: Feds" (what a stupid name). It would've been better if THIS had been the introduction to the FBI spinoff, then the plot of the backdoor pilot had been the season finale! This had literally no tension.

It's always nice to see Alan Tudyk, though.

• Love 2

That was a mess. Nolan foils the drug traffickers because he’s just so clever. And seriously, anytime Pete shows up, I just should take it as a sign to turn off the tv.

On 5/15/2022 at 9:08 PM, shapeshifter said:

As far as cliffhangers go, not too shabby.

I wondered if the female bad guy in the pleather pants that Bailey was fighting was her or Melissa's stunt double? I can't tell (yet?) from the IMDb page.

Alan Tudyk as Ellroy was fun and a great Firefly reunion and made up for Pete D being there just to collect a paycheck.
And Sara Rue always adds some sparkle.

LOL  I thought Alan Tudyk was acting an awful lot like a resident alien

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
On 5/16/2022 at 12:08 AM, shapeshifter said:

I wondered if the female bad guy in the pleather pants that Bailey was fighting was her or Melissa's stunt double? I can't tell (yet?) from the IMDb page.

I now see that Pleather Pants ("Sparrow") was played by Michelle Jubilee Gonzalez, who does have more stunt than acting credits, including 9 on The Rookie, 7 of which were for Alyssa Diaz (Angela Lopez) : imdb.com/name/nm3185337/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t26

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, Lethallyfab said:

I, for one, look forward to the next half-dozen jobs that Bailey will take on next season: will she be the only sous chef in Los Angeles?

Nah, LA is gone. Without Nolan and Bailey to save it, it burned down or blew away.

• LOL 4
7 hours ago, momo said:

I thought Alan Tudyk was acting an awful lot like a resident alien

I thought this as well. His walk was odd, as were lots of his facial expressions. I don't remember him moving that awkwardly on Firefly. I thought the almost wink when he asked if there were any aliens around was well done. But I kept seeing his Resident Alien character in the one he was playing on the this show.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
On 5/16/2022 at 7:52 PM, VegetasMom said:

LOL, I enjoyed it; I thought it was fun.  It's not The Wire and doesn't pretend to be.  

I totally agree. I love this goofy ass show, haha!

The Tim/Lucy lookalike plot reminded of so many 80's cop shows where the two hot leads get taken hostage and have to strip down to their underwear.

On 5/17/2022 at 9:45 PM, Lethallyfab said:

I’m sure I’ve posted a variation on this post before, but I will KEEP posting it as long as they keep foisting Pete upon us.  If you see something, say something.

HA! I have no idea why he's on this show (unless he just needs something to do in L.A.) or why he's so famous and sought after romantically. His part could be played by a lot of actors. Someone on Twitter said that he has East Coast hot, fry cook energy and that you have to be from there to get it.

Edited by Soobs
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2

So I can tell I'm definitely in the minority.  I'm okay with them setting up Bradford and Chen.  And I thought this was a pretty inspired way to get it to happen.  I was cackling when I saw the first appearance of Dim.  Okay, so shows have done that before - had an actor play another version of themself.  When they told Chen they wouldn't believe who the girlfriend was, I figured out that it would be Juicy.  But having the two play Dim and Juicy and having to be together - I think that's some original thought!  Sure, slightly forced, but it seems like a reason they could end up together.

• Love 4

My first thought on this episode was in the writers room in was bring your toddler to work to write a script day but that would be an insult to toddlers. This show has completely went off the rails.

58 minutes ago, b4pjoe said:

My first thought on this episode was in the writers room in was bring your toddler to work to write a script day but that would be an insult to toddlers. This show has completely went off the rails.

Yes, but this is entertainment rather than a docudrama, and it’s a Nathan Fillion show, so I kind of signed up for this sort of “off the rails” writing.
The darker episodes (kidnapped Lucy buried alive in a hole) were not ever really my thing.

As we like to say: “Mileage Varies”

• Love 3

I was enjoying the episode despite/because of all the goofiness until the last 15 minutes when a very real threat turned into a silly circus.  All those mercenaries laid down their machine guns and decided to storm the diner/jail practically unarmed?  And, helpfully, one at a time??? 

I was (foolishly) hoping for an exciting stand-off where both sides tried to outwit and outfight the other.  Instead, it was, "Oh, we've only got 10 minutes to wrap this up and give Pete Davidson some time for his brand of "comedy".  Oops!  We almost forgot that Baily needs to show off her ninja moves.  Just have Nolan shoot/beat up all the bad guys at once.  The End."

I'm a fan of "The Rookie", but sometimes, the writers make that hard to admit.

• Love 8

This was THEE worst episode ever!!  

I just can't anymore with Bailey.  Every scene she is in is beyond ridiculous!!! 

Chen and Bradford have absolutely no chemistry whatsoever!  Honestly, Chen doesn't have chemistry with anyone!  

I think the Lopez/Harper detective team would be great.  I would rather see that as a spinoff than the FBI garbage from a few weeks back.  

• Applause 1
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, juliet73 said:

I think the Lopez/Harper detective team would be great.  I would rather see that as a spinoff than the FBI garbage from a few weeks back.  

Since Lopez and Harper are both mothers of babies, they could decided to leave the police department and become private detectives in order to be able to choose less dangerous cases with more flexible hours.

• Love 4

Wait, was that it?

When they had about 5 or 6 minutes to go, I was sure that there was going to be a big cliffhanger because I didn't think they'd get the whole 'police station under siege' dealt with.  Plus I figured they'd have Tim and Lucy's undercover op go sour.

And a part of me was wishing that I'd held off on watching until closer to the Season 5 premiere, because I hate waiting for resolutions to cliffhangers.  But it all just sort of fizzled out.

The bad guys got locked up and nobody was left in any peril.  Which, while I do appreciate that, it still felt like they rushed things.

I'm still meh on Bailey, but I found her winning a fight a lot more plausible than Ellroy. 

• Love 1

I like Pete Davidson in this role and think he is very funny.

Thought this ep was weird but I don't watch this show for anything deep and meaningful and enjoy it for what it is.

• Applause 1
  • Love 1

Finally got around to watching this, and geez, I agree with everyone hating on it. It would have been terrible for a regular episode, let alone a finale. I figured they'd have Harper go into labor, which is pretty ho-hum but expected when a character is pregnant for most of a season. But no, we just went to new heights of WTFery. 

You'd think Nathan Fillion would be embarrassed....

• Love 2

I finally got through the last four episodes of this season.  I was close to dropping the show a few times, then finally did drop it after five minutes of Simone Clark.  But I finished up the other shows I was watching, and decided to give The Rookie one more chance because I like Nathan Fillion.

I realized that this show works if I just accept that it's a farce.  A 46-year-old FBI rookie isn't just implausible, it's literally impossible because of the rules in place.  Bailey cannot possibly be taken seriously.   At least half the stuff that goes on can't be taken seriously.  They throw in enough "serious" issues and situations to maybe make us think it's supposed to be a serious show, but it isn't.  These last four episodes prove that.  All this talk about how the writers must be messing with us... Yes, they are!  This is sitcom-level ridiculousness disguised as a police drama.

And with that mindset, I actually enjoyed it.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Orbert said:

I finally got through the last four episodes of this season.  I was close to dropping the show a few times, then finally did drop it after five minutes of Simone Clark.  But I finished up the other shows I was watching, and decided to give The Rookie one more chance because I like Nathan Fillion.

I realized that this show works if I just accept that it's a farce.  A 46-year-old FBI rookie isn't just implausible, it's literally impossible because of the rules in place.  Bailey cannot possibly be taken seriously.   At least half the stuff that goes on can't be taken seriously.  They throw in enough "serious" issues and situations to maybe make us think it's supposed to be a serious show, but it isn't.  These last four episodes prove that.  All this talk about how the writers must be messing with us... Yes, they are!  This is sitcom-level ridiculousness disguised as a police drama.

And with that mindset, I actually enjoyed it.

I agree with all of this👆 but I just really wish they'd make the comedy a little more obvious, and drop the creepy serial killers.
But Castle had creepy serial killers too, so I don't think that will change on either this show or the new Feds.
At least there are enough Castle episodes to skip those episodes, but when you're watching for the first time, it's hard to know what to skip. 

Having just seen Niecy Nash be brilliant in Never Have I Ever on Hulu, I'm going to give Feds a chance.

On 5/16/2022 at 12:08 AM, shapeshifter said:

As far as cliffhangers go, not too shabby.

Alan Tudyk as Ellroy was fun and a great Firefly reunion and made up for Pete D being there just to collect a paycheck.
And Sara Rue always adds some sparkle.

I never watched Firefly but Mr. Tillie and I like him in Resident Alien.  They even had him mention aliens!

I thought this episode was fun, as they worked in a backdoor training plot for Nolan, and you could see he was being set up to take over for Harper.  Did not predict the Golden Ticket. 

I remembered that Bailey was supposed to be a capoeira instructor . . .