Type keyword(s) to search

Generation Gap - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I remember a British tv show called the Generation Game when I was growing up in the 70s, the name sounds similar but I'm not sure about the format of this which may well be totally different even though the concept isn't new.

40 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

I watched this last night and thought it was awful. It seemed strangely organized and too much chatter with relatives. 

I watched it, too, and it was just "meh" to me. I'll give it another shot next week to see if it improves.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I don’t understand who the audience is supposed to be for this. It feels like it’s trying to be a family show, but it’s on at 9. I think the winning team also had far easier questions (e.g. 8 track vs credit card machine). 

If I were on the show, I’d buzz in for every rebound regardless of knowing the answer. Blocking the other team seems to be too strong of a strategy. 

Now, I love gameshows but this one is just not very good. I think they need to do like other gameshows and swap out the contestants at the midway point and not play every game they have. Rotate the games week to week to keep the show from getting old and make the show 30 minutes.

Also, towards the end I just felt bad for McCalm and Janice. They knew NOTHING.

• Love 1

I gave this a shot despite the negative reviews here, because it sounded like a fun premise.  I thought Kelly Ripa was a terrible host.  She really seemed to be phoning it in, too.  I wonder how a show like this would be with a funny, engaged host like Steve Harvey.  As it is now, it’s not even worth a “meh.”

• Love 1

The show has a good concept and it's fun to watch the families. However, Kelly really doesn't do that good of a job and also the ending is just plain dumb. I mean the only reason the one little girl picked the new car was so she could "listen to her music." The other kids are constantly: "oh look toy! Not $45K vehicle that the family really really needs these days." If the show ends up a 2nd season (doubtful). They are going to be telling the little kids: "You fucking pick the car or the big prize. If we win, we will buy the damn toy for you!"

• Like 1

Wow!  Surprised by the comments on this show, since gameshows nowadays seem to be based on bathroom and sex jokes and the "look at me" concept (Yeah, I'm looking at you Keke Palmer).  My wife starting watching GG before I did.  I did see the previews but the show really didn't interest me at first.  Then I heard some of the questions being asked and since I knew many of them, I became intrigued.  Now, it's on my lineup of shows I watch.  Kelly Ripa is fine as a host, maybe because I dont watch her in anything else.  The contestants can be a bit over the top, but I think that's the concept all game shows go for now.  I guess if you're boring then you won't make it on the show.  Overall, the game is entertaining and easy to follow.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Kimmmmmm said:

I think Kelly is a good host.... and i think it's hilarious that they let a toddler pick the bonus prize... But that overly zealous, screeching grandma had me turning it off halfway through.

Yeah, she was very annoying.  For the first time I didn't like none of the kids.  The girl had a smug attitude and the boy seemed he just wanted to be on tv.  He seemed he wasn't trying to answer the questions correctly.

• Love 1

Just watched episode 8 because I happened to notice Judd Hirsch was making an appearance.
He was funny and good and kind and sharp as always. 
After Judd Hirsch's segment was over, they started to show a home video of one of the child contestants playing the piano and singing a song he wrote. The kid plays okay and maybe writes okay, but, oy, the singing. I had to turn it off. Hey kid, don't quit your day job as a song writer and poker player (he demonstrated a great poker face too). 

Kelly Rippa was fine as a host. It's just a terrible show. 

I mostly watch because I’m between the generations and am curious what I might know. I get so annoyed by the contestants (normally the older ones) who don’t have their hand on the buzzer in anticipation of a steal. You’ll never buzz in faster than someone who only has to press down. 

It might not be especially sportsmanly, but the best strategy is to buzz in on a steal regardless of knowing the answer to block the other team. This is poor game design. 

Edited by Pallida
Bad autocorrects
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I'm a bit surprised that no one has commented on the current season. We aren't regular watchers, but I recently watched one from this season. Kelly Ripa's father appeared in part of the show, looking only slightly uncomfortable in a recliner. I knew some of the answers for both generations' questions. I had no clue as to who the secret celebrity guest was. With so little of interest on right now, it was OK to while away an hour, though.