Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: The Uncanny Valley

• Start Topic

Determined to clear his name, Trevor pushes to take the stand, but the risky strategy leaves Mickey with more questions than answers.

Original airdate 5/13/22

• Love 1

I don't know, something doesn't make much sense. The murderer is supposed to be a smart guy, right? But if he hadn't been put into a squad car that had coincidentally a ton of GSR in it, he would have had no way to explain all the GSR on his hands.

Even without the weapon and the clothes being found, a jury might have concluded that the only logical conclusion as to how he got the GSR on him, was that he was the murderer. True he thought he had one juror in the bag, but he still needed to make it as convincing as possible. So why not say that he shot a gun from time to time, as reasearch for his game, so he knows how it behaves and stuff like that? That was just dumb.

• Love 2

Miami Vice did it better (analogy spoilers for this ep of Lincoln lawyer):

On 6/4/2022 at 3:24 PM, PurpleTentacle said:

So why not say that he shot a gun from time to time, as reasearch for his game, so he knows how it behaves and stuff like that? That was just dumb.

The expert witness said there was a massive amount of GSR on Elliott, more than would have been accounted for from shooting a gun from time to time. And really, all that does is indicate it *could* have been that, or it *could* have been from shooting the two victims. But yeah, it's a stretch to guess that Mickey would find an explanation (the same police vehicle), unless we learn others already knew that in the next ep.

I'm glad there is another episode, because if it had ended here, I would have been disappointed in the twist. Hopefully the twist gets better.

On 6/5/2022 at 12:24 AM, PurpleTentacle said:

I don't know, something doesn't make much sense. The murderer is supposed to be a smart guy, right? But if he hadn't been put into a squad car that had coincidentally a ton of GSR in it, he would have had no way to explain all the GSR on his hands.

Even without the weapon and the clothes being found, a jury might have concluded that the only logical conclusion as to how he got the GSR on him, was that he was the murderer. True he thought he had one juror in the bag, but he still needed to make it as convincing as possible. So why not say that he shot a gun from time to time, as reasearch for his game, so he knows how it behaves and stuff like that? That was just dumb.

Good points.

In addition, Trevor was rich, so why did he commit the murders himself instead of hiring someone? And why did he do it in the manner he did?Despite all Mickey's talk about the tunnel vision of the police, the place and situation of the murders (at home, his wife in bed with her lover, the alarm system off) made Mickey the likely suspect.   

On 6/24/2022 at 5:19 AM, Ottis said:

The expert witness said there was a massive amount of GSR on Elliott, more than would have been accounted for from shooting a gun from time to time. And really, all that does is indicate it *could* have been that, or it *could* have been from shooting the two victims. But yeah, it's a stretch to guess that Mickey would find an explanation (the same police vehicle), unless we learn others already knew that in the next ep.

That's all besides the point. The point is that Trevor would have had no explaination for the GSR on his hands if he hadn't been put in that squad car. He planed out everything else perfectly, but had no plan for that? That's just not believable.

1 minute ago, Roseanna said:

In addition, Trevor was rich, so why did he commit the murders himself instead of hiring someone?

I guess if you hire someone there is always the chance that they are going to roll on you. But then again, he hired a fake jurer who must have known he was guilty and that probably carries about the same risk. So that is a valid point.

3 minutes ago, Roseanna said:

And why did he do it in the manner he did?Despite all Mickey's talk about the tunnel vision of the police, the place and situation of the murders (at home, his wife in bed with her lover, the alarm system off) made Mickey the likely suspect.   

Good point. Maybe he wanted the PR and ego boost of being "falsly accused" and "beating the corrupt system". But then they didn't establish that very well. So there would certainly be less suspicious ways of killing your spouce, if you are this rich. "Oh no, she died in this skuba/skydiving/hiking accident/plane crash, how tragic!"

• Love 1
9 hours ago, PurpleTentacle said:

The point is that Trevor would have had no explaination for the GSR on his hands if he hadn't been put in that squad car. He planed out everything else perfectly, but had no plan for that? That's just not believable.

Either he forgot or he did not pian the murder? In both  cases, when he realized his mistake, he decided to bribe the juror.

2 hours ago, Roseanna said:

Either he forgot or he did not pian the murder? In both  cases, when he realized his mistake, he decided to bribe the juror.

Or he wasn't as smart as he thought he was.  If he had just worn gloves, he could have flown them with his drone out over the ocean with the gun.  It would probably have stopped him from being arrested in the first case.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Or he wasn't as smart as he thought he was.  If he had just worn gloves, he could have flown them with his drone out over the ocean with the gun.  It would probably have stopped him from being arrested in the first case.

And then there would not be no story.

Basically we should put the blame on the author and the screenwriters for letting the murderer to make such a basic mistake and then letting the hero save him in the court with the help of a lucky chance. But the show was good enough although far from unforgettable.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Who doesn't know about GSR? Also wearing gloves isn't enough to not getting it on you.

2 hours ago, Roseanna said:

Basically we should put the blame on the author and the screenwriters for letting the murderer to make such a basic mistake and then letting the hero save him in the court with the help of a lucky chance. But the show was good enough although far from unforgettable.

We should blame the screenwriter or author for bad writing and incosistent characters.

6 hours ago, PurpleTentacle said:

Who doesn't know about GSR? Also wearing gloves isn't enough to not getting it on you.

We should blame the screenwriter or author for bad writing and incosistent characters.

Also, if he flew his bloody clothes out into the ocean/body of water and dumped them with his gun, how did he have GSR on his shirt? I mean, wouldn't his shirt be the main place to get blood on it?

3 hours ago, BC4ME said:

Also, if he flew his bloody clothes out into the ocean/body of water and dumped them with his gun, how did he have GSR on his shirt? I mean, wouldn't his shirt be the main place to get blood on it?

I thought they found the GSR on his hands, which (theoretically) got it from sitting in the back of a police car after someone who had fired a LOT of rounds had also sat earlier that day.

• Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I thought they found the GSR on his hands, which (theoretically) got it from sitting in the back of a police car after someone who had fired a LOT of rounds had also sat earlier that day.

I just went back and checked. The GSR witness expert said Elliot had large amounts of GSR on his hands and clothes. That his hands and clothes were covered in GSR.

Edited by BC4ME
  • Like 1

In the TV news conference Trevor gave outside the courthouse, he mistakenly asked the "LAPD" to keep searching for the real killer (shades of OJ?) They made it clear throughout the series that the department handling the murder investigation was the LA County SHERIFF'S Department, which is responsible for policing in Malibu, where the crime took place.

• Mind Blown 1
21 hours ago, J-Man said:

In the TV news conference Trevor gave outside the courthouse, he mistakenly asked the "LAPD" to keep searching for the real killer (shades of OJ?) They made it clear throughout the series that the department handling the murder investigation was the LA County SHERIFF'S Department, which is responsible for policing in Malibu, where the crime took place.

But then Trevor is not of the system or the local press.

In real life there was recently a high profile accident with 6 fatalities in the L.A. Sheriff's patrol area and a local TV station's website ended their story with no comment from LAPD. I was left thinking that the Lou Grant's no longer exist in newsrooms 

Just curious, in this day and age of hi tech, why is wearing a wire still portrayed as literally taping a big ass, easily found wire and microphone to your body? Is that actually what law enforcement uses? Ignoring that you could probably accomplish the same thing by downloading an app to your phone or a smart watch, you could certainly disguise the equipment as one of those things, or a set of ear buds, or sew it into the lining of clothes, or a hundred other ways of concealing it. I mean, I was asking this question 25 years ago, even then we had good enough technology to hide a listening device better than just taping it to someone's chest, now it just seems ridiculous.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1