Type keyword(s) to search

Season Three Speculation

• Start Topic

I'm starting this solely because I'm laughing at myself for totally misreading the 'I have someone on the inside' thing. I just thought it was Seth lol. And I thought that sequence of Shelby singing at the bar was just Shelby's dream and not an actual flash forward.

Speaking of the other operatives, Shelby's dream sequence flash-forward technically could have been her PTSD or guilt over a few things, but cutting to her face after Gretchen is talking about leaving people in place to assist her plan solidifies she is one of them. Was it always the plan for it to be Shelby, or did that decision come in editing, and what made her the right person for this?

We are going to reveal a lot if we get a Season 3, but that was something we talked about while we were pitching Season 2 to get our Season 2 pick up. We knew it was going to be her. This is a girl who let a boat go by because she doesn't want to have to go home and admit who she is to these people. Because even though she can now maybe look at her parents and think, "They're wrong," they're still your parents, [she's] still 17 years old. And so, I think she was ripe for indoctrination of some sort. And you'll find out the whys of that down the road. [source]

• Love 1

I’m realizing now that Seth doesn’t make sense but I just chocked that up to Gretchen being insane and an idiot lol. I also didn’t understand Shelby dreaming that since she never met Gretchen but I just never thought it was a real flash forward for some reason. They’re really cribbing off Lost lol. If they get a season 3, I wonder if they’ll do flash forwards instead of the flashbacks to their non-island lives? 

• Love 1

But they basically confirmed it was Seth in the TVLine interview I linked in the media thread... what are they playing at?

TVLINE | I’m a little unclear about whether Gretchen knows for sure what Seth did on the island and his background. Because even though, clearly, she doesn’t have these kids’ safety fully in mind, the fact that she would leave him in charge there, if she knew what he did, is kind of shocking.

STREICHER | Yeah, it’s brazen. It’s a brazen decision on her part. And we hope to unravel why she did that and what exactly her plans are for him, because they’re specific.

• Love 1

So, it's Seth and Shelby then? Or is this a case of different people having different ideas and not conferring before they do interviews lol? A similar thing happened with Yellowjackets.

I also wonder if Josh was compromised. Gretchen giving Shelby the 2 sour patch kids made me think about her going in to see Josh with a bowl full of sour patch kids.

• Love 2

I have no idea. Here's another bit from that same interview:

TVLINE | Gretchen said that she has someone on the inside back at the island. Obviously, there’s Seth, but the camera cut to Shelby’s face. Should I insinuate anything from that?
HARRIS | I think the camera chose somebody that’s very interesting… It’s very possible, but it’s also possible it’s elsewhere.

I wonder if they haven't actually decided yet. That would be disappointing. I want to know that showrunners have a plan.

• Love 2
On 5/9/2022 at 7:00 PM, peachmangosteen said:

I’m realizing now that Seth doesn’t make sense but I just chocked that up to Gretchen being insane and an idiot lol. I also didn’t understand Shelby dreaming that since she never met Gretchen but I just never thought it was a real flash forward for some reason. They’re really cribbing off Lost lol. If they get a season 3, I wonder if they’ll do flash forwards instead of the flashbacks to their non-island lives? 

I didn't think it was an actual flash forward, just because it seems like such a sad future for Shelby. And Shelby could have met Gretchen after they got off the island. Plus I didn't think the show would go there, but maybe you are right about next season being flash forwards.

When the cut to Shelby I thought it was a sign they were implying she had been turned, but not necessarily saying for sure. From the interviews it sounds like one writer is saying Shelby is now working for Gretchen and one writer saying we don't know, so I have no idea what to think. But I don't know why ANY of them would turn now that they know the crash was staged and they've been held hostage. Maybe you'd pretend to have been turned to try and get out of there?

• Love 3

My speculation for Season 3:  We find out this experiment is funded by Coppertone and is actually a covert experiment on extreme sun exposure and the rate of melanoma in teens.  😁

I suppose Season 3 is going to have to start with Leah's phone missing.  Otherwise the suspense of how they get off the island will last all of 3 minutes. 

• LOL 3
2 hours ago, chaifan said:

My speculation for Season 3:  We find out this experiment is funded by Coppertone and is actually a covert experiment on extreme sun exposure and the rate of melanoma in teens.  😁

That actually makes more sense than anything the show has implied. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

I'm really bummed about this - I like The Wilds so much better than Yellowjackets, though with the escape of the adults via helicopter at the last minute, it did turn into cartoon territory. (And I won't be sorry to NOT see Seth sexually assault more people, so there's that.)

But I don't understand Amazon Prime Video at all - they don't seem to do any marketing at all. If they were really trying to make a go of their original series, don't you think they'd be more prominently displayed on, say, the Amazon homepage at least? How is anyone supposed to know they are there?

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I'm really disappointed, too. I didn't love the boys (and I think it was a mistake to give them so much screen time), but I adore the girls and I enjoyed the show in general. I had naively assumed that season three was a given. I'm going to miss some of those characters (especially Fatin; I love Fatin) so much.

• Like 2
  • Love 1