Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E13: Chapter One Hundred and Eight: Ex Libris

• Start Topic

MIND GAMES — The next steps of Percival’s (guest star Chris O’Shea) plan catch Archie (KJ Apa), Betty (Lili Reinhart), Jughead (Cole Sprouse), Veronica (Camila Mendes), Cheryl (Madelaine Petsch) and Reggie (Charles Melton) off guard and forces them to face their past trauma.

Original Airdate: May 8, 2022   8:00-9:00 p.m.    CW

91B15A8E-E961-4FC5-A2A0-56B1552D1AE1.jpg
58171622-7B66-4848-948B-3B0D8913025D.jpg
8B3E1A55-4257-456A-8760-455D4AA50554.jpg

• Love 1

Well, I can safely say that I never predicted the show would go way back and remind everyone of Mrs. Grundy of all people!  At least this time they fully acknowledge that her "relationship" with Archie was all kinds of fucked up.  From what I remembered back then, they played it more as a "Yeah, it's wrong, but she's hot, so it's still cool, right?!" thing when it initially happened.  Realistically, this is something that Archie really should addressed at some point earlier, but better late than never, I guess.  To be fair, he wouldn't be the first person to repress and try to forget about something like that.

This episode felt like it was just about Percival being bored, so he used a little bit of magic to make the gang have to deal with their fears and so forth.  Along with Archie reliving the Grundy stuff, Betty was haunted by good old serial killer Hal, Jughead feared being a one hit wonder like his grandad, Cheryl briefly dealt with her barely developed history with her former girlfriend, and Veronica contemplated the idea that she really is some kind of black widow?  I think?  Anyway, they already solved it, but both Jughead and Veronica are refusing to destroy their totems or whatever, so they are possibly still cursed.  Which includes Veronica possibly being able to kill people with a kiss.  Okay....

Silly me thinking Kevin was actually starting to rise up when he began questioning Percival, only for it to end with him making out and pretty much being seduced by him instead.  Oh, Kevin, you silly little dolt!

Not sure if Fred was the best dad in the world, but he certainly was the best dad in Riverdale.  To be fair, I'm pretty sure the only dads who didn't suck were him and Keller (before he got all persuaded and whatnot.)  I guess maybe F.P. at times as well?

Holy crap!  We had like, what, five scenes of the core four (and Cheryl) together?  Having actual conversations and stuff?!  I didn't know that was allowed anymore!  Hell, I'm sure at least one of the cast members at one point or another was like "Hey, guys, it has been a while!  What have y'all been up to?!"  I really did miss it though.  Reminded me of the good old days when it was just about the gang solving an outlandish but compelling enough murder case instead of.... fighting some kind of British demon who has an odd obsession with this dumbass town.

• Love 6

I enjoyed the part where Veronica told Reggie she wouldn't have Heraldo over, and then she called him a few hours later, like, "Thanks. One of your spiders bit Heraldo. Now he's dead." That was funny, and I'm pretty sure it was funny on purpose. Good joke.

5 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Silly me thinking Kevin was actually starting to rise up when he began questioning Percival, only for it to end with him making out and pretty much being seduced by him instead.  Oh, Kevin, you silly little dolt!

Yet, also so in-character for Kevin. His nice, normal ex-boyfriend starts circling around, acting like he wants to get back together, and Kevin's like, "What should I do? What should I do? Oh, let's make out with the devil."

• LOL 9

So Reggie and Veronica broke up amicably last week and then all of sudden this week they're at each other's throats? Is it me or have they turned Veronica into a really unlikable character now? Reggie was right, she doesn't even care about people getting killed around her (so long Heraldo), so he probably should bail.

I didn't understand why Reggie actually having his old book made Percival realize that he's prime fodder to get him on his side. So still having the book you stole years ago means you're a worse person than taking it and losing it? What? 

• Love 2
On 5/9/2022 at 12:46 PM, partofme said:

I was surprised that every single character had an overdue library book.  Does no one in Riverdale return their library books?

And exactly one book each, too.

Oh Reggie, you went in the exactly the wrong direction after figuring out that Percival had magic.

• Love 2

It took them six seasons, but the show has finally decided to actually acknowledge how messed up the Archie/Grundy thing was. That was a plot where you knew the show thought it would be taboo in a sexy way but the viewers thought it was taboo in a creepy way so they decided to kill her off quickly and never talk about it ever again, even though this is a pretty huge thing to have happened to your main character. I guess better late than never? It even felt a bit meta when Betty was saying how they "didn't call it that back then" like the show feels like it needs to apologize for how they tried to frame statutory rape as being sexy. I thought that Archie's magic flashbacks were probably the most interesting, tying into how he hasn't played music in years despite how much he used to love it, probably because its some new issues for him. Everyone else just got their old issues in a new font. 

Veronica's completely nonplused "well good going Reggie, thanks to those poisoned spiders you sent me Heraldo's dead! Happy now?" was hilarious, and I actually think it was on purpose this time. Of course Veronica gets a power and its the ability to poison people by kissing, because why not. 

This is so on brand for Kevin, his nice normal ex shows up looking to get back together, and instead he decides to make out with a literal demon and join his library destroying secret police. How Kevin is still even alive at this point with the amount of bad guys and death cults he's joined with now is beyond me. 

You know Cheryl read Flowers in the Attic a lot growing up, I'm sure she found it very relatable.  

• Love 3
On 5/12/2022 at 3:30 PM, tennisgurl said:

It even felt a bit meta when Betty was saying how they "didn't call it that back then" like the show feels like it needs to apologize for how they tried to frame statutory rape as being sexy.

I laughed at that, because people certainly did call it grooming back then, which was... 2017. Riverdale has always seemed to exist in a weird time warp, though, so maybe it doesn't apply. 

I also thought it was funny that they had Kevin identifying with Piggy from The Lord of the Flies--not because Piggy was the rational character who doesn't join the crowd, but because he was once overweight. Kevin, of course, loves to join any angry crowd or cult, so it's just a physical thing, ha. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Percival visiting everyone with his goon squad to demand overdue books was comical even for this show.

So Betty the FBI agent doesn't have enough law enforcement muscle to stand up to the local police force?

Veronica: "Heraldo, let's get this relationship started!"

Veronica the next day: "Heraldo who?"

Kevin is the most intentionally stupid character on this show.  Next to Alice anyway.

Mrs. Gundy: "Sorry, you're just too old for me now, Archie."

So let me get this straight.  Homeless guy knows a payphone number (glad to know they still have payphones in Riverdale) 3,000 miles away in Venice Beach, California, and calls it and immediately gets hold of the other homeless guy who had Jughead's book?  I can't even get people to pick up on my cellphone calls!

I'm starting to realize that my favorite character on this show is the mortician.  He delivers his diagnoses with such panache. "His death…sealed with a kiss!"  I want to party with this guy.

Edited by Dobian
  • LOL 3
10 hours ago, Noneofyourbusiness said:

Samesies.

I just hope that we eventually get to meet Dr. Curdle Sr. I am not sure if I want him to be the exact same as Dr. Curdle Jr., or if I want him to be a fun-loving extrovert kind of like Woody in Psych if anybody is familiar with that show.

• Love 1
On 5/16/2022 at 5:08 PM, ruby24 said:

It's funny that the town coroner seems to act as everyone's personal physician. He is the coroner, isn't he?

Riverdale is an abando ned, burned out husk. How many professionals are left?