Type keyword(s) to search

S5.E22: The Proof Is in the Pudding

• Start Topic

When a young boy comes into the hospital with a rare disease which leaves his bones incredibly fragile, Cade's father, Ian, scrubs in to assist in the surgery, leaving Cade all on her own in her recovery. With his clinical trial officially being declared a success, Devon has some huge decisions to make about the future of his career. Meanwhile, Billie struggles with some new feelings.

Airdate: 05/10/2022

Kit: “Chastian doesn’t have a pediatric surgeon.”

My first though: “They don’t!?”

My second thought: “Of COURSE they don’t! Every doctor in the building does whatever surgeries they feel like regardless of training or speciality! Why would they need one!?” 🙄 

• LOL 16
  • Love 3

What did I just watch?

Billie has been so clearly pining for Conrad that AJ knows? Because I have barely seen anything. Their interaction has been minimal.

Cade has an entirely new personality just because her dad showed up? Maybe pain meds make her vulnerable but she’s been cold and guarded all season and this was a major reboot. Also her dad is clearing a piece of shit but Conrad inserting himself in the middle demonstrates a lack of professionalism and a lack of respect. It’s at the very least a yellow flag.

I have no patience for whatever drama is happening now with Devon and Leela. He should go for professional reasons. It’s a huge leap for his career. 

I do care about Bell’s story. But not enough to make up for all the rest of the nonsense. 

• Like 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, vibeology said:

Billie has been so clearly pining for Conrad that AJ knows? Because I have barely seen anything. Their interaction has been minimal.

I'll be fair. I thought they were building something between Billie and Conrad. I don't think its been as bluntly pushy as Conrad/Cade but yeah, this didn't surprise. 

Cade has an entirely new personality just because her dad showed up? Maybe pain meds make her vulnerable but she’s been cold and guarded all season and this was a major reboot. Also her dad is clearing a piece of shit but Conrad inserting himself in the middle demonstrates a lack of professionalism and a lack of respect. It’s at the very least a yellow flag.

I'll allow pain med excuses for some of this but.... She's apparently hiding her dad's drug problem after this endless plot around drugs and the mafia? Also wasn't she in witness protection? So she was using her real name all this time?

How is it in any way appropriate for Conrad to be treating Cade for anything at this point? Shouldn't her doctor be someone other than her kind of boyfriend?

I have no patience for whatever drama is happening now with Devon and Leela. He should go for professional reasons. It’s a huge leap for his career. 

And yet we all know he won't (barring a casting decision). I am tired of Leela bitching Devon out over the kid thing. He's not *forcing* her to bear his child. If he wants children, he has every right to have children. She has every right to not have a child. But.... this is a mutual problem and not all "Devon is a selfish asshole". Its a deal breaker for him and he's correct that he's always been open about wanting a family. Leela needs to grow up. And its a big hospital, they work in different departments they shouldn't have to see each other every day.

2 hours ago, vibeology said:

I do care about Bell’s story. But not enough to make up for all the rest of the nonsense. 

See, I just can't with Bell any more. He's a terrible patient killing surgeon, no he's brilliant and just has a hand thing that went away. He's an asshole, now he's a kindly granddad. He's sleazy as fuck and hiring prostitutes, now he's a crusader against incompetant doctors. He's well, he's got MS, he's got MS but never has flair ups, he's got MS and has been struck blind. He'll be pregnant with Devon's child next. 

• LOL 11
  • Love 2

"She wants to keep control."  AJ and Billie demonstrating that they have no idea about parenting a fragile child.

So they are giving Devon, 3 years out of residency and just starting a research career, control of a whole department? I hope that the more qualified people there have someplace good to go to when they quit over this.

What if it were Leela who was infertile? Would Devon still break up with her? Just wondering.

40 minutes ago, EllaWycliffe said:

And its a big hospital, they work in different departments they shouldn't have to see each other every day.

I don't care about either Devon or Leela in this but I thought that she was right that he had made the decision to move to the other hospital and was using her position to justify it.

I feel sorry for Bell and Kit. Finding love when you're older is a too rare thing.

28 minutes ago, EllaWycliffe said:

Also wasn't she in witness protection? So she was using her real name all this time?

The writing for this story is so sloppy. She was hiding from the mafia but using her real name the whole time. She felt that she couldn't open up because she wasn't going to stay but now that they've caught a small part of the mafia drug ring, she's suddenly all in for relationships with people at the hospital.

He's a bad father because even though he got on a plane right away to save her, he brought her the pudding that he himself likes (note that he didn't eat it) rather than remembering that she's allergic to it.

So Caid had to raise herself and make her own meals because her father was always at work? Setting aside Wife #2, I'm pretty sure that Daddy had help in the house to cook and clean and look after an underage Caid because laws. Also he likes nice things and while he may eat out, I can't see him cleaning his own bathroom. I'm not believing the story as she tells it.

Sullivan Sr. isn't the only narcissistic father there is. Caid's had lots of years to learn to deal with it. If he isn't coming to help you want, call an orderly or a nurse to go with you.

Conrad getting all protective of Poor Caid and stepping in between her and her father was all kinds of inappropriate.

I'm worried that the show wants to keep Andrew McCarthy and so we'll be stuck with Caid. Worse, Caid in a relationship with Conrad.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, statsgirl said:

What if it were Leela who was infertile? Would Devon still break up with her? Just wondering.

I think he would be more understanding of than a lot of "Um... yeah... later in my career" early on followed up with "Well, actually I may never want kids and my body my choice". If Leela was the one infertile, she would have told Devon a lot sooner that she wasn't going to have kids with him. The problem isn't really Leela's choice to not have children, its that Leela made that choice but never really said to Devon "lets be clear, I don't want children with you or anyone" and instead was all "maybe later when x, y and z is past...."

6 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

"She wants to keep control."  AJ and Billie demonstrating that they have no idea about parenting a fragile child.

Thats fair but at the same time, the mom DID want to maintain control. They were looking at it from a more purely medical view and for a change, did actually leave it in the mother's hands until it became too medically necessary. 

11 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

The writing for this story is so sloppy. She was hiding from the mafia but using her real name the whole time. She felt that she couldn't open up because she wasn't going to stay but now that they've caught a small part of the mafia drug ring, she's suddenly all in for relationships with people at the hospital.

Yeah, and wasn't there some suspicious "Why are her records so weirdly blank with her seeming to appear out of no where?" meanderings when Conrad was looking into her that strongly suggested she was in witness protection.

13 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

So Caid had to raise herself and make her own meals because her father was always at work? Setting aside Wife #2, I'm pretty sure that Daddy had help in the house to cook and clean and look after an underage Caid because laws. Also he likes nice things and while he may eat out, I can't see him cleaning his own bathroom. I'm not believing the story as she tells it.

I will allow that no matter how nice the housekeeper is, its not really the same as having a parent. And laws only come into play if the family is reported. I can see a loveless or lonely childhood with parents constantly absent and a housekeeper not especially caring what you did to be a little bit scarring. True - I doubt Cade went to school with no breakfast and dirty clothes and returned home to a cold empty dirty kitchen with no food - but I do think this is a valid resentment. 

Plus, it was strongly implied he has a problem with prescription drugs that she is used to covering.

18 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

He's a bad father because even though he got on a plane right away to save her, he brought her the pudding that he himself likes (note that he didn't eat it) rather than remembering that she's allergic to it.

He's a self involved ass. But not a total dick - no one made him fly out, you're totally right. 

19 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

If he isn't coming to help you want, call an orderly or a nurse to go with you.

But then you can't dramatically injure yourself and have your faux boyfriend get shitty over your dad being an asshole. 

I do not like the Cade-Conrad stuff at all, especially after how great he was with Nic. 
Bell and Kit continue to be the best thing about this show so one of them will likely die on their wedding day.

I have seen Billie give Conrad those “looks” so don’t think her feelings came out of nowhere, and she definitely has more chemistry with him than Cade.

• Love 7

As others have said, I see no chemistry between Conrad and Cade.  What I see is him treating her like she's his younger sister, and I wonder if Billie misread the scene with him and Gigi and Cade.  I hope that's the case because I'd like for him and Billie get together.  I'm surprised I'm even writing this because at first, I couldn't stand her.

I'm sick and tired of Leela and I hope Devon takes the job, although he probably won't.

• Love 5
(edited)

I really hope Devon stays because he is the main reason am still watching this show. Leela can go, she is an a**hole. She nearly killed a patient and it’s now forgotten, no consequences whatsoever.

So now Mr. Congeniality with pills problem will be working at Chastain too? Shocking! 🙄

I don’t really care about Conrad’s love interest. Cade, Billie, Marion, it doesn’t matter. I just don’t want to see him as a sad widower anymore. Dude, move on!

Conrad shouldn’t put himself in between Cade and her dad. You can be a good listener without taking side. Hey Conrad, that selfish narc can be your future father in law, just saying!

Is Bruce Greenwood leaving The Resident because of his new gig with Netflix (The Fall of The House of Usher)?

In this episode, we can clearly see that Jessica Lucas is heavily pregnant.

ConCade’s most lovey-dovey moment so far…

Cade to Conrad: “Your hands. Gentle. You can always tell how much a doctor cares by their touch.”

Me: 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
  • Love 3

I hope that Cade is not sticking around, which means of course she will be.  And now she has no more mafia drama, but instead she has daddy drama.  I enjoy Andrew McCarthy, so I have some mixed emotions about him showing up.  He seems like he will basically be Bell season 1, version 2.0.  We shall see.

I would SO MUCH RATHER Conrad be with Billie than with Cade.  Cade is a chemistry black hole.  To be honest, though, I would rather Conrad find somebody unrelated to Chastain (or only related barely like a sibling/daughter/cousin of an employee).  Maybe Jessica has another sister.

• Love 4

I’m also a bit surprised that AJ caught on that Billie was talking about Conrad. We the audience have seen hints in some of the things she’s said to Conrad and the way she looks at him when he isn’t aware of it. But the show has never shown us AJ being around to take note of these things.

I kind of wish Dr. Sullivan would stick around but only because he’s Andrew McCarthy. (Why is it whenever he’s in a TV series they have him playing an egotistical SOB? His character in Royal Pains was just like Sullivan.) I suspect his back pain is going to turn out to be something serious enough to kill him, though. Pain wrapping around the left side to his back? I’m not a doctor but I think some sort of tumor on his left kidney or in his colon on that side could cause that kind of pain. If he seriously thinks it’s just muscle strain and not something more serious after collapsing like he did at the end of the episode, he’s in major denial.

Conrad was probably out of line with that lecture to Sullivan, but he deserved every word of it.

Count me in on Team Billie. I can’t stand Cade. I thought it was hilarious her father said she’d once starred in a school play because she has all the emotional range of a pet rock. And don’t get me started on the eyebrows. I really can’t see her as stepmom material.

That controlling mom made me see red. Let the kid have some say over his own body, FFS, and allow him to grow up. Referring to a teenager as “my little boy” was nauseating. You just know someday this woman will be someone’s nightmare MIL. But that’s my own dirty lens. My own mother was super controlling, just in a different way. If you’ve ever seen the Black Mirror episode “Arkangel” where an overprotective mom has a surveillance device implanted in her daughter that lets her see/hear on a tablet whatever her daughter sees and hears… that episode gave me serious chills because if such a thing had been available my mom would have forced it on me. If it could have monitored my every thought she’d have gone for that too. Am I sad she is no longer with us? No I am not.

• Love 6
(edited)

So, most hospitals have a device that allows you to call for assistance to the bathroom or to get help.  Why didn’t the doctor use it?  Then it’s inferred it’s her dad’s fault for not being by her side every second….lol.  That’s ridiculous.  She was unnecessarily careless, imo.  And, how do they know there was no brain damage if they didn’t do a scan?  She hit her head hard enough to break stitches.  

Cade is resentful her dad wasn’t reliable or close growing up.  Now that he wants to be close, she’s  furious.  Ok.  She is acting weird.  Maybe it is PTSD.  Plus, she doesn’t work at that hospital anymore, so does why does she care if he works there?

I didn’t see the concerned mother as overly cautious or controlling.  The son is 14, not 17 and one-half.   An experienced surgeon was needed for that procedure.  Her instincts were right.  Luckily, an experienced one was there to assist.  

I don’t have much sympathy for a doctor who ignores their own pain and health issues.  It impacts patients lives.  It’s probably not a pulled muscle.  He’s a little annoying, but I still like  Cade’s dad more than her.  

Leela….omg.  There’s no rule that you have to work with your partner or stay at the same place of employment forever.  What is it about her that Devon  likes so much?  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 4

Leela is being ridiculous - she knew that Devon definitely wanted to have children and she is pissy that when she told him that she didn't, he left her? She should've expected that!

Also, Devon being given control of an entire department? uhhhhhh - maybe if it were a group in a lab, or some kind of seniorish role in the department... but yeah. It's not like he developed a medicine. I used to see a doctor who started in experimental theraputics in the mid 90s, developed a drug in the mid 2000s, and was running an experimental therapeutics lab at a top hospital by 2008 or thereabouts. So it is sorta possible, but that isn't a direct copy.

• Love 3
On 5/11/2022 at 12:17 PM, EllaWycliffe said:

See, I just can't with Bell any more. He's a terrible patient killing surgeon, no he's brilliant and just has a hand thing that went away. He's an asshole, now he's a kindly granddad. He's sleazy as fuck and hiring prostitutes, now he's a crusader against incompetant doctors. He's well, he's got MS, he's got MS but never has flair ups, he's got MS and has been struck blind. He'll be pregnant with Devon's child next. 

I feel you. On the other hand, he is Bruce Greenwood, which is the one of only a couple of good things in this show.

On 5/11/2022 at 1:01 PM, statsgirl said:

Parenting any child, really. Parents get scared and I would be worse than that mother, knowing that in real life medical error is at a staggering high level. It is about control but it is not unwarranted control. It is based on a fear that turned put to actually prove likely. The kid did fall off the bike, something he knew he shouldn't do. Just calling it controlling is arrogant. But I guess nuance does not fit in the allotted time of the episode, we ned to have Mr. Waffles kissing boo boos - that's essential 🙄

Devon, IT IS her body. Whatever you think she should have done, it is her choice and if you resent the how and when she told you that, you are just being a hurt patriarchal ass  because she is not "considering your feelings". Boo hoo. Just go away. Then let Leela go away after you, take her sister and AJ. Then Conrad can miss them and go too. 

So tired of the usual trop of grown ass adults having mommy/daddy unresolved issues and unable to have an adult conversation about them, the only thing left is resentment and pout faces. Please.

I stormed out of an office and yelled at a "ultra credentialed best int he area" doctor for much less than the way Conrad talked to the Cade's father. I also reported a whole surgical team for the way they treated a friend. That is ridiculous. Doctors entitled to give relationship advice and chastise what they see as wrong. I would have reported him to the patient relations at the hospital immediately. And to the board. Hospitals with these cases really fear such actions, they don't want to risk losing funds and would discipline him, even if it was just a slap in the wrist. But for manly men like Conrad, that would be brutal. In the cases I mentioned, the hospital did call me and we had a long back and forth until they changed the policy to make it clear they would fulfill their obligations. 

• Love 1

I’ve kinda liked Andrew McCarthey over the years.  He’s also appeared in series Good Girls, as well as directing a few episodes of The Blacklist.  Interesting, The Blacklist has had other tv doctors in their cast, including Alan Alda (Mash) and Ryan Eggold (New Amsterdam). 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’ve kinda liked Andrew McCarthey over the years.  He’s also appeared in series Good Girls, as well as directing a few episodes of The Blacklist.  Interesting, The Blacklist has had other tv doctors in their cast, including Alan Alda (Mash) and Ryan Eggold (New Amsterdam). 

I posted somewhere but I just think he is a terrible actor. Thought that in St Elmo's Fire, then in a couple of movies I don't remember the names, still think he is just bad at acting. I watched some of Good Girls but do't remember him 

• Love 1
(edited)

Am I supposed to root for Conrad and Caid, or loathe them because the show is setting up Conrad/Billie? Conrad yelling at Sullivan senior when he doesn't really know the situation is really bad.

On 5/14/2022 at 9:57 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

So, most hospitals have a device that allows you to call for assistance to the bathroom or to get help.  Why didn’t the doctor use it?  Then it’s inferred it’s her dad’s fault for not being by her side every second….lol.  That’s ridiculous.  She was unnecessarily careless, imo.  And, how do they know there was no brain damage if they didn’t do a scan?  She hit her head hard enough to break stitches. 

For someone who is supposed to have spent years being careful, it was very careless of her.

On 5/15/2022 at 10:46 AM, circumvent said:

Parenting any child, really. Parents get scared and I would be worse than that mother, knowing that in real life medical error is at a staggering high level. It is about control but it is not unwarranted control. It is based on a fear that turned put to actually prove likely. The kid did fall off the bike, something he knew he shouldn't do. Just calling it controlling is arrogant.

She said that he was first diagnosed when he was 3 months old and she was changing his onesie and broke his collarbone.I can't imagine living with that amount of fear all those years, that one false move could really hurt him.  Plus 14 year old boys are not generally known for their good sense and caution.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 3
On 5/15/2022 at 11:12 AM, circumvent said:

I posted somewhere but I just think he is a terrible actor. Thought that in St Elmo's Fire, then in a couple of movies I don't remember the names, still think he is just bad at acting. I watched some of Good Girls but do't remember him 

He was the hit man the girls hired to take out Rio.

• Love 2

If the plan was to make us root for Billie/Conrad bu introducing a thoroughly incompatible love interest who we’d all hate then bravo… well done writers! 

I don’t totally mind Cade on her own - I just can’t stand her with Conrad. They’re far too alike.

• LOL 1

Also Leela is a POS - why do only her feelings matter when it comes to kids? Also making Devon feel bad for getting the job opportunity of a lifetime? Get a grip. I feel if this was a roles reversal situation we’d be seriously calling Devon out.

• Love 1

This episode just could not end fast enough. Again, it felt like I was watching an episode of Grey's Anatomy. Of course, Conrad is Kade's doctor. Bell and Kit have now moved on to dragging their POAs into the workplace in front of staff.

Devon gets a chance to move on, and they're all trying to guilt him into staying. Kit saying "We'll match any offer." And when he says it's not all financial, it now goes to "We rooting for you and Leela." Are you serious? A CEO saying that. 

And then of course Conrad saying "Don't break up the team." And Leela, who is broken up with Devon, is waiting in his office when he gets back to guilt him some more. Here's a newsflash Leela: Just because someone started their career in one hospital and it made them, doesn't mean they need to stay at that hospital forever. Doctors move on for better career opportunities. There's probably not one hospital where a physician or surgeon has not relocated from their first hospital where they started as an intern and did their residency. And Devon shouldn't be thinking of passing on a big career choice simply because he's hoping there's something left of a relationship. 

I haven't watched the finale yet or the start of this season, but I already know, in this forced drama universe, that he's going to stay. Probably after he sees how bad Bell is with his blindness.

On 5/14/2022 at 8:57 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

Cade is resentful her dad wasn’t reliable or close growing up.  Now that he wants to be close, she’s  furious.  Ok.  She is acting weird.  Maybe it is PTSD.  Plus, she doesn’t work at that hospital anymore, so does why does she care if he works there?

I didn’t see the concerned mother as overly cautious or controlling.  The son is 14, not 17 and one-half.   An experienced surgeon was needed for that procedure.  Her instincts were right.  Luckily, an experienced one was there to assist.  

I don’t have much sympathy for a doctor who ignores their own pain and health issues.  It impacts patients lives.  It’s probably not a pulled muscle.  He’s a little annoying, but I still like  Cade’s dad more than her.  

Leela….omg.  There’s no rule that you have to work with your partner or stay at the same place of employment forever.  What is it about her that Devon  likes so much?  

EXACTLY!!!! Really, all the guilt tripping from her, from Conrad and even Kit, who says "We're rooting for you and Leela." 🤮 That just should not come into play when making a career move.

Edited by WinJet0819
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

Leela has a right to not want kids… but Devon has a right to want them.  This isn’t a ‘what do we want for dinner’ compromise.    Either one or the other has to change their mind to stay together.  Neither should be looked at badly for their choice.  The only things done wrong were 1) not discussing  it much earlier and 3) Leela not being honest about her choice when they did discuss it. 

• Like 1