Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E17: Hero Complex

jewel21
  • Start Topic

I agree it was shady by Taylor since she already had his personnel photo, and she stated he had multiple suspicious incidents prior. That's what Buck was angry about. I wouldn't have cared if she had just run the story without saying that. 

• Love 2

Was it ever discovered what gave Jonah the heads-up that Hen suspicious of him? They didn't even talk until he called her. And unless I missed something, the only people she brought this too were Chim, Buck, Taylor, Bobby and Athena. Taylor didn't run the story until after Jonah was arrested. Unless, maybe, her sources leaked?

I also wonder wasn't there a more subtle way to to close the net on Jonah that putting him on modified duty? Of course, he's going know something is up at that point, and is more likely to lash out.

Yes, this is TV, but as soon as Karen told Hen that Jonah was going after Chim, she should have called Athena to meet her at Chim's apartment, so she could have had some cop back-up. What is Hen going to do going there alone, unarmed? That was going to be an easy ambush.

As others have said, I do think it was a shady move that Taylor ran the story, explicitly after promising Buck she wouldn't. And she was the one that said, "No more secrets." I only hope this doesn't break them up, because if it does, I worry the writers are going to push Buck and Lucy hard, to the detriment of the show. 

• Love 1

Hen and Chimney checked with some people Jonah had worked with, who all said he was good if a little odd.  Jonah tells Hen, "I hear you've been talking to some people about me."  so some of those people were friendly enough with him to give him a heads up that someone was asking questions about him.   

It was HR putting him on limited duty, not Bobby.  All they had were accusations and they have a process and rules to follow.  He was removed with contact from civilians which was appropriate given the accusations.

I don't know why Taylor was expected to sit on the story after he was caught...especially given the crimes he had just committed.  Taylor helped them out sat on the story.  Generally if a reporter does that, there's a quid pro quo that they get to be the one to break the story.   There's no way that was going to be kept quiet so why shouldn't she be the first one to report on it.  

I lean on the this episode was boring side.   Between the previews and the opening flashback, there was no tension, no surprise, no twist.  This show has truly turned into a soap opera complete with seemingly normal person that turns out to be some psycho loon.  I like a good night time soap...but this isn't good as a soap 

• Love 2
On 5/10/2022 at 2:43 AM, UnknownK said:

Characters don't live in a vacuum, showing their home life and what makes them tick makes them feel more human. A rescue show that devotes 100% of the airtime to rescues will get very old quickly because they will run out of ideas, you have 40+ minutes an episode to fill.

This episode ended like a bad comic book story. I am sure these wasn't enough evidence to convict the new guy of doing what was suspected and possibly only getting him fired or just transferred. Nurses who kill multiple patients in real life pretty much have to get caught in the act to get busted. I mean was that guy going to kill them both, dispose of the bodies, and then just go to work on his next shift like nothing happened?

On 5/10/2022 at 10:41 AM, EllaWycliffe said:

I have to admit, this is the part that I was like "hmmmm" on. If something was found in Claudette's blood, no matter how suspicious it might look, all Jonah - who is just an EMT/paramedic - has to say is a contrite "I'm sorry, I made a mistake". He *might* get fired. More likely reprimanded. Since he's not in Bobby's station anymore anyway, not likely to be transfered unless his new station has an issue. 

But calling Hen in a threatening way ups the ante a lot even without the resulting kidnapping. Hen had opportunity to call her wife and relay the threat complete with "go to Bobby's place" so when Hen theoretically turns up missing both Karen and Bobby are going to mention to the police the whole Jonah issue. Considering how broken into Chim's place looked, I am sure there was plenty of evidence left behind.

Forget all the deaths if they end up not being able to prove them. He kidnapped two people, assaulted one, drugged both, and confessed to the EMS abuse. The confession to Hen is evidence too, but the setup in that house with toxicology from Hen and Chin plus their testimony should put him away a long time just for this part.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Ailianna said:

Forget all the deaths if they end up not being able to prove them. He kidnapped two people, assaulted one, drugged both, and confessed to the EMS abuse. The confession to Hen is evidence too, but the setup in that house with toxicology from Hen and Chin plus their testimony should put him away a long time just for this part.

Definitely. But if this was more of a Law & Order type show, I bet they'd have some fans of Jonah's life-long heroics defending him online and raising funds for a fancy attorney to defend him with a fancy defense strategy. 

• Useful 1
On 5/15/2022 at 2:19 AM, Maverick said:

don't know why Taylor was expected to sit on the story after he was caught...especially given the crimes he had just committed.  Taylor helped them out sat on the story.  Generally if a reporter does that, there's a quid pro quo that they get to be the one to break the story.   There's no way that was going to be kept quiet so why shouldn't she be the first one to report on it.  

That was weird to me. A paramedic doing what he did is an important story to report. And is not like Taylor called out Bobby as his supervisor. And she only reported it after he was taken into custody. And if she didn't report it, it was a big enough story that some other news outlet would.

On 5/15/2022 at 1:50 AM, WinJet0819 said:

Yes, this is TV, but as soon as Karen told Hen that Jonah was going after Chim, she should have called Athena to meet her at Chim's apartment, so she could have had some cop back-up. What is Hen going to do going there alone, unarmed? That was going to be an easy ambush.

That was really stupid. Like one of your best friends is a cop. Why would you not call her once you realized that Chim was the target?

• Love 6
(edited)
On 5/10/2022 at 12:39 PM, tennisgurl said:

That ended up going where I thought it would. This was a decently suspenseful episode and I especially liked the flashback to kid Jonah going from having violet fantasies to saving a guy leading him to soaking up the adulation of being a hero, I think that set up his serial killer MO very well. I admit I find this whole thing annoying though, Hen had no reasons to dislike this guy at first beyond him not being Chim (and she was apparently like that with every partner) but instead of learning a lesson about not being so petty, she is retroactively justified because he was a serial killer all along. I call these kinds of plots "luckily" twists.s and get the same gist. 

I thought of it as a short-hand "Jonah begins."

As for Hen taking an instant dislike to this guy - sometimes you get an impression that others do not. I got the same type of vibe from a candidate for a youth pastor. Everyone on the committee absolutely loved him, but I said in no uncertain terms that if he was hired, my kids would never be alone with this guy. I had nothing concrete to offer about why I objected to him so much. They offered him the job, then rescinded after the background check. I don't know what they found, but I do know my intuition was dead on. It made me trust my gut. So maybe whoever wrote this plot has had a similar experience.

On 5/11/2022 at 9:43 AM, Gramto6 said:

I just had a thought. Was Jonah ever at Bobby's home?  Maybe the house he is talking about is the station house?

I am pretty certain he was talking about the station house, because he would be feeling guilt that this guy killed (presumably) under Bobby's watch.

On 5/11/2022 at 11:59 AM, possibilities said:

I 100% thought Bobby was talking about the Station House. 

Whether or not Jonah shows up again, this is the kind of thing that would generate feelings of guilt in Bobby. He hired him, he welcomed him. 

But I would think that Bobby is not the one who would be responsible for vetting him. Any background checking would have been done when he was first hired, not when he was transferred from house to house within the same city, wouldn't it?

I agree. And think you're right that Bobby wouldn't have been responsible for vetting him.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 3
On 5/10/2022 at 10:01 PM, Demian said:

It's a Ryan Murphy show -- they're all hot.  They're the most ridiculously hot first responders I've ever seen in my life.

Ryan Murphy has had the best eye for man candy. I generally couldn't stand his Hollywood fairytale series but damn David Corenswet really, really, really did it for me. I like to imagine we'll see the actor who plays Jonah show up somewhere else in the Ryan Murphy verse because he's too freaking cute to waste as a one time baddie we never see again.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

I generally couldn't stand his Hollywood fairytale series but damn David Corenswet really, really, really did it for me.

David Corenswet?  Oh, yes, indeedy.  But Jake Picking?  Oh, my holy God, Ryan Murphy, get this guy a regular TV gig RIGHT NOW.

On 5/11/2022 at 10:28 AM, ribboninthesky1 said:

Certainly can't speak to the norm, but I lived in Tampa, FL once upon a time and can confirm there are indeed real life 1st responder teams who are all very hot.  

A friend of mine used to live in Lowell, MA and swore all the police in that department were hot tamales and someone in the hiring department must've been been gay.

• Love 1