Type keyword(s) to search

Toonami: Anime for Insomniacs

• Start Topic

Reminder: Mob Psycho 100 debuts tonight at 11:30; FLCL: Alternative moves to 2 a.m. And I think One-Punch Man moves from there to 2:30.

ETA: Not bad. Mob kinda looks related to Saitama, though it might just be the vacant face. Nice concept with him being the apprentice of a total fraud . . . a relationship that gets flipped in One-Punch Man, with Saitama not feeling like being a mentor to Genos.

Edited by Lantern7

Didn't realize something new had started, I'll have to catch up On Demand. There's only two more episodes of AoT before it goes on hiatus until April so they need to get another show to fill in, although they'll probably run it one more time in the current time slot. Sword Art Online: Alicization has started airing in Japan so maybe that.

4 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Didn't realize something new had started, I'll have to catch up On Demand. There's only two more episodes of AoT before it goes on hiatus until April so they need to get another show to fill in, although they'll probably run it one more time in the current time slot. Sword Art Online: Alicization has started airing in Japan so maybe that.

I think that is where the boxing anime gets plugged in.

Cute moment . .  Mob’s boss waves his cell phone at the ghost, and Saitama’s face is on it.

Mob Psycho 100 didn't impress me. I have difficulty with shows where everyone is a complete idiot. C'mon, give me someone who's on the ball! Maybe it will get better.

Most annoying opening theme music so far this year.

It was nice to see a grown up version of the butt-chin kid from One Punch Man.

Mob is getting seriously ripped off by his boss. His pay of 300 yen is only worth about $3.

On 10/30/2018 at 2:13 AM, Sandman87 said:

Most annoying opening theme music so far this year.

Aw, I like the credits and song. Like "The Hero!" it basically builds to an orgasm. English lyrics and countdown don't hurt, either. Here are the credits with subtitles.

I'm sure you'll come around, @Sandman87. And if you don't, there are only twelve episodes to air. Like I said, the second season with debut in Japan soon, with the first episode premiering at Anime NYC.

I looked up the narrator . . . I would have bet money that VA played that role in Space Dandy. Nope . . . but he did play Don Konogi in Bleach, and that guy might as well be related to Reigen.

Edited by Lantern7

While I'm thinking of prospective anime . . . how about Cells at Work!? I read five volumes of the manga. It's about the working of a human body, featuring a Red Blood Cell (a plucky new delivery girl carrying oxygen) and White Blood Cell (a white-clad killer of viruses and other sorts of nasties). I think the concept is basically Osmosis Jones, only Japanese. Platelets are represented by really cute little girls. The whole thing's cute and occasionally thought-provoking.

Edited by Lantern7

. . . .and Toonami is shuffling the lineup. Again. Basically, it will kick off at 11 p.m. instead of 9 starting in January.

48356783_2053278174963019_24268507320711

Get someone you love hooked on Iron-Blooded Orphans, then watch them slowly succumb to the despair!!

Well that sucks.  With the current schedule I was watching until 11pm (with Boruto) and dvr'ing the rest.  For the new schedule I'm probably going to have to DVR all my shows.  It's funny because I was saying that having Shippuden on before Boruto was a bad idea.  It's also funny that again Dragon Ball Z (Kai) will be ending before I get to watch the whole thing again (this time before we even get to Frieza).  On the plus side it looks like Funimation will be streaming Kai sometime soon so I'll have to pick back up with that.

Is Megalobox forum-worthy? 🤔

No. After just 2 episodes the whole thing seems to be old and stale; the animation style, the storyline, even the voice acting. This is a show that skips right past metaphors in the opening and shows the main character, who is constantly being referred to as a stray dog, as an actual stray dog.

Also, Joe Boxer? Really?

Megalobox:

How many boxing-related stories have there been now where a boxer is in trouble because he refuses to throw any more fights? Daredevil, Pulp Fiction, Snatch, The Set Up, C.S.I., etc. A million?

The exoskeletons on the boxers appear to add nothing to the story so far. It would go exactly the same if they were just regular un-enhanced boxers. One would hope that it becomes important at some point.

21 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Also, Joe Boxer? Really?

That'd work pretty well as a stand name on Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

Having read this forum I was prepared to dislike Megalobox, but I actually didn’t.  It was animated like back when I started watching AS (how old is this show?)and was kinda predictable, but I think they sold it well.  

For Meglo Box, they apparently animated the show like normal but then lowered the resolution to make it look like a Cowboy Bebop era show.  I haven't gotten around to watching it yet but I had generally heard good things about the show.

Also, Dragon Ball Z Kai is still going to air Saturday nights.  It's just on at 8pm now (continuing from where it left off pre-Xmas with Goku vs Vegita) during the CN-AS transition.  They're also showing a repeat of the last episode of Super at 8:30.

Fellow “other X shows” afficianados - any idea how to follow threads like “Boruto”, where it’s Forum is archived but the thread did not become its own topic?  I don’t have a bell icon to follow Boruto.  

This is of theoretical value for now - still trying to decide if I want to start Boruto before Naruto ends.  

My post back on October 29:

There's only two more episodes of AoT before it goes on hiatus until April so they need to get another show to fill in, although they'll probably run it one more time in the current time slot. Sword Art Online: Alicization has started airing in Japan so maybe that.

:)

• Love 2

Apparently, there was a glitch during the SAO episode on Saturday. Here's what I got from Toonami:

Corrected episode this week, back-to-back episodes on March 30, filling in the hole left by Meglo Box. Still wondering what the permanent replacement will be.

• Love 1

What is this? Is it good?

ETA: Here's the plot from Wikipedia. The first word coming to my mind: "Damn."
Spoiler

Set in year 2045, Emma is an 11-year-old orphan living in Grace Field House, a small orphanage housing her and her 37 siblings. Life had never been better; with food that tasted gourmet, plush beds, snow-white uniforms, and the love of their "Mother" (the caretaker) Isabella, as well the litany of daily exams that Emma always aced with her two best friends Ray and Norman. The orphans are basically allowed to do whatever they want, except venture out of the compounds or the gate that connects the house to the outside world.

On a fateful night, an orphan named Conny is sent away to be adopted, but Emma and Norman follow her after noticing that she had left her stuffed rabbit toy, Bernie, back at the house. Sneaking out, they find Conny dead and the truth of the existence of this supposed orphanage to be a farm where human children are raised as food for demonic creatures. Worse still, Isabella is in allegiance with the demons, ripping away at everything the two ever thought they knew. Determined to break out of Grace Field House, Norman and Emma partner up with Ray to peel away at the façade of the farm and find a way to escape with all their other siblings.

Edited by Lantern7

New schedule starting on April 13:

To say that Jojo's Bizarre Adventure getting put back to 3 a.m. ticks me off is an understatement. I mean, there's far greater things to be passionate about either way, but I like the smaller things. Watching JBA at 1:30 was fun.

I still hold out hope for One Piece. Someone commenting on Facebook said that it wasn't that popular on Toonami, and that the ending is years off. It's still great, though.

Also thinking if Toonami runs out of My Hero Academia, Assassination Classroom would replace it.

Assassination Classroom would be great.  Also Mob Psycho 100's second season just finished up so hopefully we'll get the dub sooner rather than later.  Maybe make it a One block with it and OPM.  

Toonami got negativity about the lineup, so they reordered the shows. For the record, all I did was bitch in a thread the one time. Not like I was typing "OH MY GOD SON OF A BITCH ZA WARDO!!!!!!!!" over and over. Honest. 😇

I understand any butthurt for fans of Boruto and Hunter x Hunter. I mean, I'm happy I can follow SNL with the insane shit going down in Morioh, but I also feel bad.

Awesome.  I heard decent things about this season so I look forward to checking it out.  I think I'm dropping Promised Neverland though.  It's not bad but not really for me.

5 hours ago, Urahara said:

I really miss One Piece.

Ditto. I mean, I know it can be streamed, and you can get the DVDs. I used to do that, borrowing those from the library. I went from the start of Impel Down to halfway through Marineford. But I need the structure, and I never have time to watch stuff on DVD.