Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E05: Black and Blue

• Start Topic

On 5/9/2022 at 7:06 PM, SailorGirl said:

How the hell did Lalo have any idea about the Germans and the superlab??? 

On 5/9/2022 at 7:26 PM, Constantinople said:

Lalo knows that Werner was building something for Gus because Werner told Lalo when they spoke over the phone in the S4 finale. Gus confirmed this in the S5 premiere but claimed it had something to do with chicken. I forget what the explanation Gus gave for getting rid of Werner. Lalo was suspicious of Gus' story, but could not prove anything at the time ("there's proving and then there's knowing")

How Lalo tracked down Margarethe, I don't know. They've mentioned before there are about 3 billion Werner Zieglers in Germany.

So would that be the evidence, that Lalo finds proof that Gus is building a lab?

And the evidence is what, the little ruler or instrument in the Lucite?

That would get the cartel to approve them killing Gus?

Such a long way to get to that.  Seems like it would be easier for him to get some men and have surveillance.

How do they excavate all that space and not have to pull out the dirt and dispose of it somewhere?  Plus it's immaculate down there.

I guess Kim smoking and drinking more and more is suppose to show her spiral.  She's also sleeping poorly too.

Yet she looks great in that tight tank top and shorts.  They may not show it but she must be working with a trainer.  I know the actress probably is but Kim Wexler must be, right?

• Love 2
(edited)
21 minutes ago, aghst said:

So would that be the evidence, that Lalo finds proof that Gus is building a lab?

Such a long way to get to that.  Seems like it would be easier for him to get some men and have surveillance.

How do they excavate all that space and not have to pull out the dirt and dispose of it somewhere?  Plus it's immaculate down there.

I guess Kim smoking and drinking more and more is suppose to show her spiral.  She's also sleeping poorly too.

Yet she looks great in that tight tank top and shorts.  They may not show it but she must be working with a trainer.  I know the actress probably is but Kim Wexler must be, right?

I’m just loving seeing how Kim comes off….back during that time, I was also an attorney, about her age, about her size, same height, and highly driven, though not bat ship crazy like her!  Lol

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2
19 minutes ago, aghst said:

Lalo was told by Gus that the gigantic underground space he showed him was a cooler for his chicken. I would imagine that the equipment and machinery for cooking and storing meth and the ingredients for production would be very different than for keeping chicken cold. Maybe Lalo is looking for other guys/companies  who worked on or supplied equipment for the project to get proof?

Actually all Lalo would need to go to Hector or Bolsa is proof that the space is not being built for the chicken business to arouse suspicion and investigation into Gus’ activities.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, Adiba said:

Lalo was told by Gus that the gigantic underground space he showed him was a cooler for his chicken. I would imagine that the equipment and machinery for cooking and storing meth and the ingredients for production would be very different than for keeping chicken cold. Maybe Lalo is looking for other guys/companies  who worked on or supplied equipment for the project to get proof?

Actually all Lalo would need to go to Hector or Bolsa is proof that the space is not being built for the chicken business to arouse suspicion and investigation into Gus’ activities.

Chicken cooler beneath an industrial laundromat?  

• LOL 1
1 minute ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Chicken cooler beneath an industrial laundromat?  

Well, that’s the explanation they gave in the show— it was in season 5, episode 1, “Magic Man.”

• Useful 1

They only show one Los Pollos Hermanos on BB and BCS don't they?

I know it's suppose to be a regional chain.

But most fast food restaurants have industrial refrigerators and freezers I believe, since most of the food that gets to them is frozen.

So the cover story isn't even that plausible.

• Love 1

I was under the impression the construction site Gus showed Lalo was at an alternate, above-ground location.  

My guess is the label on the bottom of the memento says it was made at Madrigal labs.  I anticipate a meeting between Lalo and Lydia. 

When I was a kid I was in a YMCA program called Indian Guides, and my tribal name was Little Bear.  The program name has since been changed to Adventure Guides.   

41 minutes ago, aghst said:

The slide rule memento was something that caught Lalo's eye. In the bar, Margarethe mentioned that Werner called the guys who worked for him "seine jungs," or "my boys." The slide rule memento was engraved with "In Liebe … Deine Jungs," which means "In love... your boys." We'll just have to accept that Lalo remembered her saying "jungs," then he sees that. So this memento isn't evidence of the lab; it's just a clue that will lead Lalo to Werner's workers, from whom he'll likely get the location of the lab.

Lalo was watching the lab location in a previous season, so he didn't seem to get anything out of it except when Mike and other guys rushed around (when Werner went missing).

As far as the dirt goes, I can't quite remember, but I thought there had been talk (probably from Werner) as to how to get rid of it all.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, PeterPirate said:

I was under the impression the construction site Gus showed Lalo was at an alternate, above-ground location.

Yeah, it was a fake construction site at the chicken farm. He definitely didn't show Lalo his underground laboratory he was building in secret to throw him off the trail of the underground laboratory he was building in secret.

• Useful 3
  • Love 4

My guess is the label on the bottom of the memento says it was made at Madrigal labs.  I anticipate a meeting between Lalo and Lydia. 

It said something like Voerhling?

When I was a kid I was in a YMCA program called Indian Guides, and my tribal name was Little Bear.  The program name has since been changed to Adventure Guides.

My mom worked at the local Y when I was in high school/college. Their Indian Guide "tribe" was Happy Turtle Nation. I got one of the T-shirts 'cause I liked the name. No surprise the "Indian Guide" name has changed.

• Love 2

My guess is the label on the bottom of the memento says it was made at Madrigal labs. 

My assumption is that Werner's guys had that memento made as a personal gift. I don't see why they'd go to a big corporation to have this made. We haven't been shown that there's any connection betw Werner and Madrigal, have we?

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, carrps said:

My mom worked at the local Y when I was in high school/college. Their Indian Guide "tribe" was Happy Turtle Nation. I got one of the T-shirts 'cause I liked the name. No surprise the "Indian Guide" name has changed.

There was also “Indian Princesses” for girls and their dads. No idea if they’re still around.

• Love 2
(edited)
14 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

It depends on when Lalo is (likely) killed.  If he's killed relatively quickly, it might end up working like a swap out where Kim assumes the tail is one of Mike's guys (if she's even followed.) If he continues to live, then I would assume the PI will get exposed.

I could be entirely wrong, of course.

If something does happen, it will depend on if and how quickly Lalo is killed. However, Mike’s operatives will know within hours that someone else is following Jimmy. They’ll have to decide what to do about it.

There are many ways their finding out could come to haunt Howard. Someone could get killed. If the PI has shady drug connections, Howard could be framed. Gus and his organization could decide to threaten or use Howard in some way - giving him a glimpse of the criminal underworld that he’s completely unprepared for. I’m   leaning towards someone getting killed. 

Edited by Dessert
Added content.
  • Love 1

I wonder what proof Lalo feels he needs to convince the cartel that Gus has been up to something with his construction project.

In this episode Margarethe told Lalo that Werner didn't tell her what he was building and that "It was very secretive". Margarethe also said that Werner died in a cave-in and that he saved his men.

In the S5 premiere, Gus told Lalo and Don Bolsa that Werner was working for Gus on a legitimate construction project, that Werner found out about the drug business, stole "2 keys of product" and was then tracked down by Gus's men. Left unstated but understood by all 3 of them was that Gus's men then killed Werner.

Lalo asked Gus what Werner was building. Gus took Don Bolsa and Lalo of a tour of what looked like the indoors of an above ground warehouse that when finished would be "the most advanced in-line chilling system in the Southwest". All the men in hard hats were "Ziegler's men, working from his plans" (it would be risky if these were Werner's men, but they weren't sent home until later in the episode).

I'm not an architectural engineer, but it's hard too see how Werner could have died in a cave-in at the chilling system. But the cartel would expect Gus to have a cover story for Warner's death, so it's not suspicious that Margarethe's story of how Werner died is incorrect.

But why would Werner be "very secretive" about building the largest chilling system in the Southwest?

And what proof does Lalo need to provide? Is it sufficient for Lalo just to repeat what he said people in Germany told him?

Would Gus consider taking out Werner's men before Lalo finds them? That doesn't seem like something Mike would be onboard with. And wouldn't that look odd if they were killed while Lalo was looking for them?

• Love 1

Didn't the cartel at some point know about the lab?

And they didn't immediately go to Defcon One and have Gus killed?

In fact they wanted to make WW and/or Jesse go down and run their lab, because the WW product sold like crazy?

So Lalo's search for the lab or to confirm that Gus is building one doesn't seem like it should be that big of a deal?

4 hours ago, PeterPirate said:

I didn’t catch that it was an alternate location, the episode was so dimly lit—but that makes sense.

• Love 1
(edited)

Eladio and Bolsa definitely don't know about Gus buulding a lab; the purpose of the lab is for Gus to no longer be dependent on Eladio for product. Lalo suspects something is up, and is probably smart enough to surmise it has something to do with obtaining product from a source independent from Eladio. Lalo would also like to obtain product without Eladio's involvement, which is why he isn't going back to Eladio and Bolsa with his heightened suspicions; he intends to get fully informed about the full scale of what Gus is planning, and take it for himself. Gus knows this, and, I suspect, intends to to use Lalo's desire to take over as a means to get Lalo into the lab construction site, with Lalo thinking Gus is unarmed, and under Lalo's control, or at least not dangerous.

This is where the hidden revolver comes in, in a callback to The Godfather, when Michael Corleone recovers a hidden revolver in the bathroom of a restaurant and shoots two enemies dead.

Edited by Bannon
  • Love 4
36 minutes ago, aghst said:

Didn't the cartel at some point know about the lab?

And they didn't immediately go to Defcon One and have Gus killed?

In fact they wanted to make WW and/or Jesse go down and run their lab, because the WW product sold like crazy?

So Lalo's search for the lab or to confirm that Gus is building one doesn't seem like it should be that big of a deal?

They wanted Jesse to make meth for them in Mexico at one point. That may have been the same episode as the infamous pool massacre, I’m not sure.

• Love 1
(edited)
17 minutes ago, Bannon said:

Lalo suspects something is up, and is probably smart enough to surmise it has something to do with obtaining product from a source independent from Eladio. Lalo would also like to obtain product without Eladio's involvement, which is why he isn't going back to Eladio and Bolsa with his heightened suspicions; he intends to get fully informed about the full scale of what Gus is planning, and take it for himself. Gus knows this, and, I suspect, intends to to use Lalo's desire to take over as a means to get Lalo into the lab construction site, with Lalo thinking Gus is unarmed, and under Lalo's control, or at least not dangerous.

I do try to pay attention when I watch, but, man, I missed where the bolded part was dramatized in the show. Do you happen to remember where this was? No problem if you don't recall (I couldn't perform that kind of recall myself.) This show really makes me hate that I miss so much, and I appreciate the more careful viewers who fill in my blanks, lol...

Edited by Penman61
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Bannon said:

Lalo would also like to obtain product without Eladio's involvement, which is why he isn't going back to Eladio and Bolsa with his heightened suspicions; he intends to get fully informed about the full scale of what Gus is planning, and take it for himself. Gus knows this, and, I suspect, intends to to use Lalo's desire to take over as a means to get Lalo into the lab construction site, with Lalo thinking Gus is unarmed, and under Lalo's control, or at least not dangerous.

I don't buy into this at all...Lalo IS a Salamanca and is loyal not looking go on his own. No way

Edited by SimplexFish
5 minutes ago, SimplexFish said:

I don't buy into this at all...Lalo IS a Salamanca and is loyal not looking go on his own. No way

Don Eladio is not a Salamanca. Hector, in particular, hates Don Eladio.

53 minutes ago, Penman61 said:

I do try to pay attention when I watch, but, man, I missed where the bolded part was dramatized in the show. Do you happen to remember where this was? No problem if you don't recall (I couldn't perform that kind of recall myself.) This show really makes me hate that I miss so much, and I appreciate the more careful viewers who fill in my blanks, lol...

Hector, before his heart attack, was shown to be extremely resentful of being under the thumb of Don Eladio. The way for the Salamancas to no longer be under the thumb of Eladio is to no longer need Eladio for product.

• Love 3
(edited)
4 hours ago, peeayebee said:

My assumption is that Werner's guys had that memento made as a personal gift. I don't see why they'd go to a big corporation to have this made. We haven't been shown that there's any connection betw Werner and Madrigal, have we?

Well, I am speculating about the link between Werner and Madrigal, but I think it makes sense.  Werner was from Germany.  Someone there had to recommend Werner to Gus as someone who could be relied upon to complete a construction project in secret.  The person making the recommendation had to be aware of Gus' illicit business activities.  I don't see how it could be anyone other than Lydia and/or Herr Schuler.    

5 hours ago, carrps said:

I took another look and I think it's "Voelker's".  I do wonder how one of the boys got ahold of Werner's slide rule. 

Edited by PeterPirate
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, PeterPirate said:

Well, I am speculating about the link between Werner and Madrigal, but I think it makes sense.  Werner was from Germany.  Someone there had to recommend Werner to Gus as someone who could be relied upon to complete a construction project in secret.  The person making the recommendation had to be aware of Gus' illicit business activities.  I don't see how it could be anyone other than Lydia and/or Herr Schuler.    

I took another look and I think it's "Voelker's".  I do wonder how one of the boys got ahold of Werner's slide rule. 

My guess is that the label on the bottom is the company that makes mementos such as the slide rule in the lucite. I think Lalo visits that company next, to find out who ordered it, and thus gets a lead on Ziegler's New Mexico subordinates.

• Love 4

Lalo's scenes make sense to me. If you know a guy's name, his unusual occupation and the date and location of his death, it can't be that difficult to track him down. Lalo has had this on the back burner since Werner died. He didn't start to track her down in the last few days. He had people watching her for at least a little while and he knew she went to a bar down the street regularly. 

Walk in the bar and talk to a slightly drunk widow. Mention you come from the town where her husband was killed. She brings up her husband. He doesn't have to ask her about him. He acts interested. She keeps talking. She's a little drunk and here's a nice handsome guy whose willing to listen. In her mind, I'm sure she's thinking that he's listening to her because he's hoping to get lucky. He wants to keep her talking and she's happy to talk about her dead husband.  

The plan was to find out anything he could from her. When he didn't get much, he waited until she left then carefully went into her apartment without breaking in. His plan was to look around for some clues to find his workers who were with Werner in New Mexico. She clearly doesn't know anything. He didn't wear gloves because no one would know he was ever there. No one would look for him. When she came back, he knew that he'd left too much evidence. People saw him talking to her at the bar and his fingerprints are all over the place. Once they figure out who he is it isn't going to be just the local cops looking for him but the federal cops of both Germany and the U.S. Killing her or the dog was a bad idea. Plus, she didn't see him weak. If someone askes her about him, he was a handsome charming man. He tends to kill people who see him when he's weak. The problem is if she see's him, he has to kill her. All's she saw was an open window. Even if she calls the police, what's she going to say? There's nothing missing. 

• Love 5
49 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

I find it hard to believe that Lalo had associates in Germany who had been watching her for weeks/months before he went to Germany. But maybe I’m underestimating him.

I don't think he's had people watching her for months. He figured out who she was shortly after her husband died and they gave a report on him and her. A lot of people follow the same routine. Everyone thinks he's dead so he's gone away to figure out how to take down Gus. 

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, scenario said:

I don't think he's had people watching her for months. He figured out who she was shortly after her husband died and they gave a report on him and her. A lot of people follow the same routine. Everyone thinks he's dead so he's gone away to figure out how to take down Gus. 

Who are “they?”

• Love 1

In the previous episode it was revealed that two weeks had gone by since the failed attack on Lalo.  I think that was enough time for Lalo to figure out which Werner Ziegler was dead and get to Germany.   

Another good review video.  She makes one point about Howard's speech to the Sandpiper residents that is so good that I took the time to type it out:  

I couldn't help but think that this was also the showrunners speaking directly to us.  The finish line is near.  Be patient.  There will be a huge payout if we are.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, PeterPirate said:

I can see Schuler recommending Werner to Gus, but I still think Werner's "boys" just went to a trophy shop -- Voelker's -- to have this made. The label even has a picture of a trophy, which to me indicates that it's not from Madrigal. Yes, Madrigal is involved in lots of different things, but I don't see why they'd have a little trophy shop. 

I do wonder how one of the boys got ahold of Werner's slide rule.

Is it actually Werner's slide rule? I imagine that they bought one -- It doesn't look used.

BTW, how long ago did Mike kill Werner?

• Love 4
6 hours ago, PeterPirate said:

Another good review video.  She makes one point about Howard's speech to the Sandpiper residents that is so good that I took the time to type it out:  

I couldn't help but think that this was also the showrunners speaking directly to us.  The finish line is near.  Be patient.  There will be a huge payout if we are.  

Interesting, but I'm not sure we're supposed to trust Howard 100%, even though the clients seem to by the end of his spiel. 

I guess I'm saying I trust the showrunners way more than I trust Howard, lol.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I can see Schuler recommending Werner to Gus, but I still think Werner's "boys" just went to a trophy shop -- Voelker's -- to have this made. The label even has a picture of a trophy, which to me indicates that it's not from Madrigal. Yes, Madrigal is involved in lots of different things, but I don't see why they'd have a little trophy shop. 

Is it actually Werner's slide rule? I imagine that they bought one -- It doesn't look used.

Yeah.  I thought there was no way Werner would bring a slide rule all the way to the US--everyone uses calculators.  I figured it was some sort of keepsake he kept on his desk back in Germany.  

I've since heard in another review that Werner's slide rule could be seen in his introduction to the show.  I went through Episode 4-5, and it is sitting on a table around the 43-minute mark.  

Live and learn, eh.  Serves me right for injecting my own convoluted logic instead of taking what was given.  

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, PeterPirate said:

I've since heard in another review that Werner's slide rule could be seen in his introduction to the show.  I went through Episode 4-5, and it is sitting on a table around the 43-minute mark.  

I wish I had a super duper memory so all these cool details would be right there in my brain. 

I'll probably go watch that scene you mentioned, but I'm also going to rewatch S5 E7 since Courtney mentioned it in her last review. 

• Love 3
(edited)
6 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I wish I had a super duper memory so all these cool details would be right there in my brain. 

I'll probably go watch that scene you mentioned, but I'm also going to rewatch S5 E7 since Courtney mentioned it in her last review. 

I found a nice article that really refreshed my memory….I’m not sure where to post it….hmmmm…..I’ll post it here. Hopefully it’s ok.  I don’t think any spoilers. Just recap.

Let me know big not ok, 

https://breakingbad.fandom.com/wiki/Werner_Ziegler

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 5/9/2022 at 10:43 PM, One Imaginary Girl said:

I wonder if in fact the woman who knows about Valentina Tereshkova is smart enough to catch on to a stranger who shows a lot of interest in her late husband.

Wouldn’t Valentina Tereshkova be the first female cosmonaut to go into space? 🤔 

The guy that plays Lazlo is hawt! 😏 

What was that German song played at the beginning?

• Love 1

Back in S4 when Werner and crew visited the strip club, Werner unwisely started talking about his work to a stranger. When the stranger correctly answered one of Werner's questions, Werner said, "Now you use your thinking head, not your drinking head!" (ironic, considering).

To me, the slide rule symbolizes that statement. That Werner is the kind of guy who will think through a problem, or at least an engineering problem, and not depend solely on what someone else or something else tells him (which isn't to say Werner is some kind of Luddite). In that way, he's a little bit like Lalo who, rather than just take whatever is said at face value, will pop-up from his chair and jovially exclaim, "Show me!".

So unless it becomes important to later developments, I don't have any particular interest in whether the slide rule in the momento from " his boys" was Werner's actual slide rule or a stand in.

• Love 2

Does anyone have thoughts about the title of this episode? Because if you translate BLACK AND BLU E into Spanish you get NEGRO Y AZUL, which it-can't-be-coincidentally is the title of Season 2, episode 7 of BREAKING BAD.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
59 minutes ago, wendyg said:

Does anyone have thoughts about the title of this episode? Because if you translate BLACK AND BLU E into Spanish you get NEGRO Y AZUL, which it-can't-be-coincidentally is the title of Season 2, episode 7 of BREAKING BAD.

The boxing match...bruises are "Black and Blue". Thats how I saw it.

Edited by SimplexFish
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, wendyg said:

I thought of that, but I'm not satisfied with it.

There's also Kim's encouraging Jimmy to lean in to his bruising from the boxing match by branding himself "Saul Goodman--I fight for YOU!" [airpunch]. I believe that ended up being a tagline Saul used in a commercial? Basically, to me the title is about the prices you pay for being in the fight, and Jimmy and Kim are just starting to realize what those might be (Jimmy's reputation at the court, Kim's soul, etc.)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, wendyg said:

Hmm, I'm not sure, but good catch. 

I had to remind myself what Negro & Azul was about. It starts with a Narcocorrido song "Negro & Azul," about Heisenberg (black hat) selling meth (blue). I can't figure out a connection betw that BB ep and this BCS ep. 

The ep after Negro & Azul is the one where Saul Goodman makes his debut.

BTW, I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but so far each title of this season is of a pairing: Wine and Roses, Carrot and Stick, Rock and Hard Place, Hit and Run, Black and Blue. Maybe this kind of goes with the pairing of Kim and Jimmy. Or Jimmy and Saul. OR Kim and... Giselle?

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
15 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

BTW, I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but so far each title of this season is of a pairing: Wine and Roses, Carrot and Stick, Rock and Hard Place, Hit and Run, Black and Blue. Maybe this kind of goes with the pairing of Kim and Jimmy. Or Jimmy and Saul. OR Kim and... Giselle?

Good catch! Wonder whats next?

• Love 1