Type keyword(s) to search

[BUG, FIXED] Question about expanded thread descriptions on mobile devices

SoMuchTV

(edited)

Since the big updates a couple days ago, I’m now seeing the first several lines of each thread post when I open a forum, on iPhone (multiple browsers) and Fire tablet (Silk browser).

I’m having trouble pasting examples, but basically instead of just showing a list of threads like before, each thread shows a big chunk of the first post’s text. So on the small screen, only one or two threads show up before I need to scroll.

Oddly (to me), on a desktop pc where there is a lot more screen real estate, this isn’t happening. 

So, is this still a work in progress?  If so I’ll just hang on and see where things land. Or is there some setting or preference that controls it? I might not mind it on a pc (where it isn’t currently happening) but I’d like to be able to opt out on mobile (where it is happening).

Edited by SoMuchTV
Edited to remove screen shots because they don’t make sense to illustrate the question

Better? Though I suspect we'll get reports asking where the previews went. It's an optional enhanced view that is not available under the existing theme. Will probably be accounted for formally with the new look.

52 minutes ago, AllAstronauts said:

Better? Though I suspect we'll get reports asking where the previews went. It's an optional enhanced view that is not available under the existing theme. Will probably be accounted for formally with the new look.

Oh I see they’re gone now. I was sort of confused that they would be showing up on smaller devices but not larger ones. I’m fine with how it’s working now but it would be amazing if that were user-configurable. 

But (coincidentally????) I now see I’m no longer having the issue we’ve been talking about in a different thread- I can now open the forums that were hanging up on me. I’ll keep an eye on it and post in that other thread if it looks like it’s working consistently now. 

pinging @shapeshifter (who was having similar issues) to see if they’re seeing the same thing now. 

On 5/6/2022 at 7:29 PM, SoMuchTV said:

But (coincidentally????) I now see I’m no longer having the issue we’ve been talking about in a different thread- I can now open the forums that were hanging up on me. I’ll keep an eye on it and post in that other thread if it looks like it’s working consistently now. 

pinging @shapeshifter (who was having similar issues) to see if they’re seeing the same thing now. 

Yes,
HOWEVER,
new, possibly related-to-fix problem because now both on phone and laptop text that should be expanded in quotes is not
[On my iPhone (iOS 15.4.1, both Safari and Chrome)
and
on Windows 11 in both Edge and Chrome]
When I click on a thread with new posts, all is good.
But when I click on a thread I've already read since the most recent post by someone, 
any quotes in the posts are not displaying the text of the quotes, regardless of whether of the arrow is clicked.

Screenshots
(from phone, but same issue appears on laptop
and note: this is not page specific; it's whether the page has been viewed by the user before or since new posts have been made by other users)

Page (https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/129397-s03e16-shift-less/?do=findComment&comment=7441894)
with NO NEW POSTS since last visited by user:

image.png.0b26aec0a7cdfc402e913c0b3b095f60.png

[different] Page (https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/26391-s01e04-the-funeral/?do=findComment&comment=5847955)
WITH NEW POSTS since last visited by user
and
as it should always function/look,
with readable quoted text:

image.png.803af082a118ae556041385d831ca6bc.png