Type keyword(s) to search

The Knockout, Last Chance Kitchen with a new name

So Brooke beat Marcel. Now she just has to beat everyone else who comes along. I found it annoying having to watch Last Chance Kitchen after every Top Chef episode, I can't believe I have to watch The Knockout now. :-(

• Love 3

So Brooke beat Marcel. Now she just has to beat everyone else who comes along. I found it annoying having to watch Last Chance Kitchen after every Top Chef episode, I can't believe I have to watch The Knockout now. :-(

Link.  I can't find it.  I did not know one thing about there being a Knockout.  Thanks GaT!

Edited by Lablover27
  • Love 1

All that said, I have to give it to Marcel for telling Wolfgang that his highly improbable fusion food was "Calfornia ramen" (maybe something they serve at dormitory Oscar parties?)

• Love 1

Beyond the general obnoxiousness of aftershow shows where it's harder to skip commercials, this was confusing as hell.  Both contestants and the Pug were talking about how winning this would guarantee them "a spot in the finals".  Then it sounded like the winner was guaranteed not a spot in the TCD finals, but the TCDKnockout finals.  Then at the end Pug was saying congrats to Brooke and now you have to compete again next week.  What "finals" are next week?

That's what I thought at first, that they would have this knockout deal every two weeks with the losers of the last two weeks with a KOfinal at the end. But then Pug said Brooke would be back next week, so I don't see where they were "guaranteed" anything.  Brooke could conceivably run the table in Knockout if it's going to be a continuing deal, so then where does the Knockout final come into it?  Either I'm not smart enough for TV, or this setup is just as the thread title says and the scripting was way off. 

That's so odd. There was no mention of it last week on Bravo's site. At all. Just to vote for either Marcel or Richard to win $5000 for their charity.

They didn't have one last week because there was only one eliminated chef. This is the first one.

Anyone else have playback problems? I don't have the world's greatest connection, but youtube gives me no trouble It seemed to me that Bravo's player needs to be more aggressive about buffering.

Anyway, with no animus toward Marcel, he's had plenty of screen time, and I was happy to see someone else stick around for a while longer.

Edited by Latverian Diplomat

Poor Marcel.  If he had his own show, I'd watch it.  I enjoy his commentary and his cooking style.

Brooke can suck it.  I hope she goes down in flames next round.

Did I miss something?  Is Brooke guilty of more than simply being a boring person?

• Love 2

Marcel had a show on SyFy, mostly his molecular gastronomy stuff. It bombed. Probably because it was on SyFy, who goes there to watch a cooking show?

The problem with Marcel's program on Syfy (other than, you're right, being on Syfy) is that it was more about plating than it was about food. I just bingewatched The Mind of a Chef, and they spent what would have been a segment if it were a show with commercials watching Wylie Dufresne make his version of eggs benedict with spreadable poached egg tubes and deep fried hollandaise cubes. I would watch the hell out of that show. 

Marcel making a food volcano or talking to his team about his impulse control issues? Not so much.

• Love 4

I'm very confused, Brooke lost to Mike, but she's coming back too? I don't get it, she lost, why is she also coming back to compete again? It sounded like she comes back at the end, are any other chefs also coming back? What's the point of this competition if they all come back?

• Love 2

Maybe they're bringing back any chef who beat another chef? Marcel didn't win, so he doesn't get brought back, but Brooke won so she does, & Mike won, so he does too?

Any chef who wins their Knockout is automatically in the final. If Mike beats all the other chefs that come into the Knockout round, then only Brooke and Mike will be in the final. If another chef beats Mike then that chef will join Brooke and Mike in the final, so there will be any number of chefs in the Knockout final. The winner of the Knockout final will then rejoin the main competition.

Any chef who wins their Knockout is automatically in the final. If Mike beats all the other chefs that come into the Knockout round, then only Brooke and Mike will be in the final. If another chef beats Mike then that chef will join Brooke and Mike in the final, so there will be any number of chefs in the Knockout final. The winner of the Knockout final will then rejoin the main competition.

In other words, they have to win one, and only one, round in order to be in the Knockout finale.

• Love 1

In other words, they have to win one, and only one, round in order to be in the Knockout finale.

So there could potentially be nine chefs in the KO finale.  The set is built for two kitchen stations.  They're going to round-robin them through or something for the finale of the KO finale?  It doesn't make any sense. 

So there could potentially be nine chefs in the KO finale.  The set is built for two kitchen stations.  They're going to round-robin them through or something for the finale of the KO finale?  It doesn't make any sense. 

I'm going by what @Rambler described. I have no idea what they're thinking, or if they're thinking.

• Love 2

I'm going by what @Rambler described. I have no idea what they're thinking, or if they're thinking.

I believe it’s a matter of fairness. It would hardly be fair for Brooke to have to cook her way through eight rounds in order to reach the finals while whoever lost the last episode in the main show would only have to win one in order to get back in the competition.

• Love 3

I believe it’s a matter of fairness. It would hardly be fair for Brooke to have to cook her way through eight rounds in order to reach the finals while whoever lost the last episode in the main show would only have to win one in order to get back in the competition.

And yet, that's exactly how last chance kitchen and Star Salvation at Food Network Star worked.

It would have more sense to have a loser's bracket - have Marcel cook against Brooke, and Mike against whoever lost next week, and then the winners of those, etc. That would be fair and far less confusing.  And they could have brackets on the website!

And yet, that's exactly how last chance kitchen and Star Salvation at Food Network Star worked.

But there is a difference, on both LCK and SS the eliminated contestants have been doing challenges consistensntly before they are eliminated which is not the same with Duels where eliminated chefs only do one challenge.

• Love 2

Then maybe what they need to do is to completely mimic the NCAA format. We start with the Sweet 16 and go from there.

Then again, I think of Sweet 16, and I think of a dessert course (said the woman who misses Sweet Genius).

• Love 1

So Mike won again. I thought Stefan's food looked really delicious, now I want filet with bearnaise sauce. I still don't understand why Brooke is still there though.

I didn't care for Brooke during her season.  I didn't actively dislike her though. I do now.  Mike, of course, was always a toad but, watching him with Antonia, I thought he might have finally grown up.  Wrong.  The two of them kidding around while Stefan was cooking reminded me of third graders who think they're just so smart and funny when they gang up on another student.  I have no more respect for either of them. 

Poor poor Marcel....I swear he can never actually win anything.  If you look up "always a bridesmaid, never a bride" it should have a picture of Marcel.  

I don't understand how they are having a final with SO many contestants.  Makes no sense.  

And Boo to Stefan losing.  I love Stefan and wanted to see his snarky face in the finals....mainly just to annoy CJ.  

In what world does Mike beat David Burke?  It might be time for Wolfgang Puck to retire from judging.

That kind of sniffed like prearrangement to me. I thought it was improbable that Mike talking headed that whole speech about how much stuff was on David Burkes' plates right before Puck made his whole speech about how much stuff was on David Burkes' plates. And it made me wonder if maybe the chefs who are already well-known and and successful and have better things to do (unlike, apparently, Mike and Brooke) weren't willing to spend weeks taking on all comers in a back room, probably for free...

• Love 2

Ok, wait. If you win a Knockout round you can compete to get back in and sit with Brooke and Wolfie? Then why did only Tiffani go sit with them at the end? Does this mean Mike will be sitting there next week when Tiffani battles whoever? (Btw, Tiffani, I've never rooted for you before, but happy Puck chose you.)

Edited by buttersister
  • Love 1

Ok, wait. If you win a Knockout round you can compete to get back in and sit with Brooke and Wolfie? Then why did only Tiffani go sit with them at the end? Does this mean Mike will be sitting there next week when Tiffani battles whoever? (Btw, Tiffani, I've never rooted for you before, but happy Puck chose you.)

I am completely confused about how this works. I got the impression that now Brooke, Mike & Tiffani will all be battling to get back in. I don't understand why there's a contest with the loser if everyone is going to compete to get back in anyway. Nothing about this makes sense to me.

The process of elimination is still going to result in only one chef from the Knockout group making it to the finals--the difference between this and Last Chance Kitchen is that you don't have to sweep the table to do it. 

If you win even just one Knockout (i.e., Brooke and now Mike) you get to stay--hang out and watch and drink wine with The Dirty Mr. Puck until the end. At the end, anyone who has won a Knockout (so far Brooke, Mike, and now Tiffani) gets to compete in a final competition for the last slot in the finale. If you do not ever win a Knockout (so far just Marcel and David, I think?) you are completely done.

They've done a pretty crappy job of explaining it on the show, but I'm 98.3% sure this is how it works.

Edited by hendersonrocks
  • Love 3

hendersonrocks, you explained it exactly how I understand it to work, so I'm gonna say you're right. Stefan also got knocked out by Mike I.

I was glad Tiffani won. First, I can't stand Mike, so someone needed to knock some of that smugness out of him, and second just because I've grown to like Tiffani over the years and think she could get back into the finals.

Edited by Nutjob

Why, then do they call in the knockout if you aren't necessarily out when you lose? It's just silly!

But I've never been a fan of the last chance kitchen/ you can come back idea. Especially if you go out early (like in regular top chef) and then get to compete in the final round without having to go through the more difficult challenges that the rest of the group faced. It's unfair and annoying to me.

Which is probably why I don't have enough interest to watch these extras!

Why, then do they call in the knockout if you aren't necessarily out when you lose? It's just silly!

Because Last Chance Kitchen was already taken.

hendersonrocks, thanks for the explanation, I can understand it now. I think it's stupid, but I can understand it.

• Love 1