Type keyword(s) to search

Angelyne - General Discussion

• Start Topic

FQ0FDF0XwAMKrK7?format=jpg&name=large

Angelyne is a Limited TV Series with all 8 episodes being released on May 19 on Peacock.     
FRHzJWEXwAI0Ddn?format=jpg&name=large

Angelyne is about fame, identity, survival, billboards, Corvettes, lingerie, men, women, women teasing men, men obsessed with women, West Hollywood, crystals, UFOs, and most importantly of all, the self-proclaimed Rorschach test in pink, glow-in-the-dark queen of the universe, Angelyne. Angelyne is LA’s original billboard icon from the 80’s, Angelyne, who infiltrated pop culture and rose to fame in the 1980s when a series of billboards began to appear around LA featuring her signature curvy figure.

The Angelyne TV Series "is an homage to the real Angelyne, who became a cultural icon in Los Angeles,” says showrunner Allison Miller. “This isn’t the true story of Angelyne. It’s not a straightforward biopic. It’s a story inspired by everything Angelyne represents and so it’s a magical story, a hopeful story, a story about becoming the person you were meant to be and believing in your own inner strength to manifest your dreams. It’s a story about Los Angeles and everything the city means to people who move here and to people who dream about moving here.”

Emmy Rossum as Angelyne

Martin Freeman as Maurice Wallach

Hamish Linklater as Rick Kraus 

Charlie Rowe as Freddy Messina

Alex Karpovsky as Jeff Glasner

Michael Angarano as Danny

Lukas Gage as Max Allen

Tonatiuh as Andre Casiano

Molly Ephraim 

Philip Ettinger 

David Krumholtz 

The "real-life" Angelyne became a Los Angeles staple in the 1980s, after she put up billboards around the city as a way to advertise herself and is an Executive Producer of this TV Series.
zumaglobal327406_-_embed_2017.jpg?w=928

Whether she was stopping traffic with her billboards in 1982 or simply speeding around town in her Corvette and has owned more than 10, all in hot pink.
angelyne-4.jpg?auto=webp

rexfeatures_4397260a_-_embed_2017.jpg?w=

03924_-_embed_2017.jpg?w=928

She soon helped pioneer the idea of being famous just for being famous. Before long she became a neon pink icon in her own right, releasing music, appearing in films, running for mayor of Hollywood in 2002, and running for governor of California in 2003. More information can be found in the August 6, 2015 issue of The Hollywood Reporter in an article entitled "L.A. Billboard Diva Angelyne Bemoans Kardashian, Hilton and “Boring, Gauche” Celeb Culture" and in the August 2, 2017 issue of The Hollywood Reporter in an article entitled "The Mystery of L.A. Billboard Diva Angelyne’s Real Identity Is Finally Solved", which was the inspiration for the TV Series.

• Love 1

Angelyne    May 19            Peacock 

Episodes 1-5     Titles and Descriptions

Spoiler

S01.E01: Dream Machine

Deep dives, punk shows, blood pacts, Corvettes, betrayals, smashed guitars, transformations; Angelyne swallows a band and a man, whole.
Emmy Rossum as Angelyne
Antijuan Tobias as Bud Griffin
Philip Ettinger as Cory
Charlie Rowe as Freddy Messina
NUP_190286_01512R2.JPG?q=50&fit=crop&w=9

S01.E02: Gods and Fairies

Billboards, power plays, casting couches, jealous rivalries, fireworks, wild rides; Angelyne finds her vehicle to fame.
Molly Ephraim as Wendy Wallach
Tonatiuh as Andre Casiano
Martin Freeman as Harold Wallach
NUP_190285_01661CR3.jpg

S01.E03: Glow in the Dark Queen of the Universe

Murals, hot seats, centerfolds, movie roles, fresh eyes -- huge, gigantic fame; exposure leaves Angelyne exposed.
Alex Karpovsky as Jeff Glasner
Hamish Linklater as Rick Krauss
Toby Huss as Hugh Hefner
Angelyne-1.jpg

S01.E04: The Tease

Car crashes, trust pacts, empty threats, private detectives, lawsuits; Angelyne agrees to make a documentary about her life.
Lukas Gage as Max Allen

281356636_295248592808141_2961793021644839895_n.thumb.jpg.5206486027854c0b561e55838e6ff5c2.jpg

S01.E05: Pink Clouds

Series Finale

Lounge acts, funerals, lost years, pink escapes; the truth about the world's need for the truth about Angelyne.
400?language=eng&territory=US&version=20

281150740_308270254828982_2089953817238465808_n.thumb.jpg.4d3e3c8dfb3f4794ff0d4aeaa0bbb8fb.jpg

I liked it overall.  I wasn't crazy about the fantasy sequences, particularly in the last episode.  I get what they were going for but I still didn't like it.   I watched the real Angeline's appearance on the Wally George show.  The real thing is even more over the top.  Between this version of her and what I have read about her in real life I imagine she must be a lot to deal with. I understand she is still out there hustling. Still just as pushy.  It's all rather amazing that she has built an entire lifetime upon her "fame".  It must be exhausting.

• Love 1

Is Emmy Rossum also playing the older Angelyne, or is that a different actress? There doesn't seem to be another actress listed on the show's IMDB page, but to me, older Angelyne looks like a completely different person.

On 5/23/2022 at 3:54 PM, chocolatine said:

Is Emmy Rossum also playing the older Angelyne, or is that a different actress? There doesn't seem to be another actress listed on the show's IMDB page, but to me, older Angelyne looks like a completely different person.

Pretty sure it is Emmy Rossum with some padding and make-up to account for something like a fifty year difference in age and appearance.  

• Love 1