Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08 The West

• Start Topic

The Abbott family faces a grand reckoning over the course of a single day as the showdown between Royal and Autumn culminates, unearthing a shattering revelation.

Original airdate 5/6/2022

How did Autumn/Amy survive being run over by a herd of buffalo? I feel silly that I missed the clues that Autumn was grown-up Amy before. If she can buy the ranch after the bail forfeit then I guess it stays in the family after all. Take that, Tillersons!

Will Patton always plays a villain, so the Tillersons will always be villains to me.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, NeenerNeener said:

I feel silly that I missed the clues that Autumn was grown-up Amy before. If she can buy the ranch after the bail forfeit then I guess it stays in the family after all. 

Back To The Future rules do not apply here either... She interacted with her younger self.

If she let Perry / Daddy show up in court, the Abbots keep the ranch... so WTF???

How can Sherriff Joy watch a 1886 buffalo hunt happen in 2021 when the hole is gone?

Why did the hole need Luke to re-open the portal? Where did Perry end up?

• Love 5
5 hours ago, paigow said:

Back To The Future rules do not apply here either... She interacted with her younger self.

If she let Perry / Daddy show up in court, the Abbots keep the ranch... so WTF???

How can Sherriff Joy watch a 1886 buffalo hunt happen in 2021 when the hole is gone?

All good questions that we won't have answers to for at least another year. Bummer.

(edited)
10 hours ago, paigow said:

Sheriff Joy went to that one guy's house (the mastadon guy) and followed a black crack in the ground to the buffalo grounds.  So the hole isn't the only portal.  He really wanted to lure her there for that, and he looks like an older Perry.  Maybe?

Also, if she let Daddy go to court, he'd go to jail.  I'm not saying this really all makes sense though.  Her character's actions don't make any sense to me, but I guess whatever is going on with her mother is the key to that.  That was the best twist, that Rebecca wasn't dead or disappeared, and that's where Amy went.

Edited by peach
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
13 hours ago, NeenerNeener said:

How did Autumn/Amy survive being run over by a herd of buffalo? I feel silly that I missed the clues that Autumn was grown-up Amy before. If she can buy the ranch after the bail forfeit then I guess it stays in the family after all. Take that, Tillersons!

Will Patton always plays a villain, so the Tillersons will always be villains to me.

Do you think Luke was killed by the buffalo or that he survived like Autumn?  If he died, that's pretty much the end of the Tillersons.

I don’t know what to say about this. I assume Rebecca told Amy stuff about the family. Still, mental illness aside, she is nuts. Is the dark mineral and oily Bison juice a metaphor for oil?

shrug. 

• Love 1

I’m not sure if I like  this enough to go another season.  The reasoning and behaviors just don’t make sense to me.  Well, at least they tried something different.  Lol

• Love 6

I don't typically watch this type of show and I feel like I wasted my time watching this one. Maybe others felt there was enough explanation and pay off but I don't .  All I got was there was time travel involved and little else.  I wish someone who is better at interpreting this kind of show would explain it.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
(edited)

That episode really did turn the weirdness dial up to 11.

Joy really is way back in time -- I wonder how she will find her way back ... to the future. 
But now the mastodon sightings on Frank's property don't seem all that weird.

Did Wayne experience anything after Billy put that soil from inside the rock on his lips and forehead ?

I'm even more curious to see what Billy saw -- too bad Billy appears to be dead.  Though we might get a flashback next season.

I'm also curious if Luke is dead -- after having all those buffalo gallop up out of the hole past him. 
Because that hole he dug was not that large. And that was a LOT of buffalo.

One question -- did all the buffalo line up one after the other in their time ?  And how did they know to all line up to go through the crack/hole/whatever ? Or was someone herding them into the crack/hole/whatever ?  If so, how did they know WHEN to herd them into the crack/hole/whatever ?

They wasted too much time on the rodeo stuff.  They could have used that time to reveal more about the hole and the timey-whimey stuff.  Like why the mountain disappeared ever so briefly.  Or how the buffalo with the arrows comes/goes through time as it pleases ? Or why time seems to move differently around the hole ?

Where does Autumn/Amy's money come from ?  Sounds like it's a trust fund of some sort. 
What year did she come back from -- and when did she arrive ?

WAAAAY too much tongue while Billy/Autumn were kissing in the bank.  Plus, now that we know that Autumn is older Amy her making out with Billy Tillerson is a little disturbing -- since the Tillerson's are the Abbot's enemy.  And why is she so intent on trying to kill Royal ?

And I'm really not sure what the crockpot is supposed to symbolize -- other than everything in the Abbot's lives boiling over. 
Why does the crockpot look like it is going to boil over when the dial is set to the low setting ?

I guess Cecilia was digging her hole to bury the bears (mama bear and baby bear) in the wrong spot or didn't dig deep enough -- since she didn't hit the timey whimey black juice level.

If Royal really did go to the future in his trip into the hole and back (and not, say, go to a parallel universe or something else), I guess that means that Luke survives (because Luke shot Royal).  And Wayne Tillerson survives (because he was standing up on his own two feet).   And Joy Hawk comes back from whatever time she went to.  Both Rhett and Perry were in the future as well.  Did Perry just stay in the future after jumping in the hole ? Plus Autumn and her cult were in the future -- but was that the same Autumn/Amy that is currently in Amy's bed (having just been run over by a herd of buffalo).  Or was it future Autumn/Amy before she time-traveled into the past.  So many unanswered questions.

Though the reveal that Autumn is the older version of Amy does put the conversations that Autumn/Amy had with Royal, with Perry and with younger Amy in previous episodes in a different perspective.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Why does the crockpot look like it is going to boil over when the dial is set to the low setting ?

The crockpot is sitting on one of those black crystals, it's been boiling since 1886.

• LOL 8
  • Love 2
(edited)
23 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Where does Autumn/Amy's money come from ?  Sounds like it's a trust fund of some sort. 
What year did she come back from -- and when did she arrive ?

I’m wondering… did Rebecca take Amy elsewhere or elsewhen? Either she took her elsewhere to hide out and adult Amy/Autumn traveled back from 15-20 years in the future, or she took her 15-20 years into the past and she just grew up.

Why did she have such a grudge against Royal? Why the heck was she trying to kill him?

This was a really disappointing season finale. We got the reveals that Royal came from the past and Autumn is Amy, but we didn’t really get answers, especially about what was going on when Royal had briefly popped into the future. Now I’m also wondering—there appeared to be oil wells in that future scene, but what came up when Luke was digging only initially appeared to be oil. So is Autumn’s cult planning to somehow open more of the holes and use them for some nefarious purpose, and if so, what? World domination? Big bucks by conducting time travel tours or pillaging resources from the distant past?

ETA: And why does Rebecca need to hide?

Edited by CarpeFelis
  • Love 7

Annoyed by the finale. Getting shades of Lost with the bait & switch emotional plot points & roads leading to nowhere.  I liked Royal being a man out of time.  Liked OG Amy’s mom reappearing. Liked the bull-riding guy..But the hole closing, the random Buffalo stampedes, Weird Face-Sucking Future Amy & OMG the cowboy singer—-pushing it.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
(edited)
On 5/7/2022 at 7:41 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:

And I'm really not sure what the crockpot is supposed to symbolize -- other than everything in the Abbot's lives boiling over. 

It time-traveled to the Pearson's house to act as a pivotal plot point in the late '90s.

Edited by Scout Finch
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2

I thought it was stupid for Cecilia to start digging all those holes to bury bears on her property when everybody already thinks they are a family of murders. What your son, his wife and his daughter just disappeared? Interesting?

The town was surprising empty that Royal and Autumn can have a shootout right in the middle of Main Street and nobody would notice.

• Love 5

They must be counting on getting renewed, because otherwise why hire Matt Lauria to play a corpse with one line?

What did the honking big sign say?

Royal's hole was a future time hole, and the one Luke dug is a past time hole?

Why was everyone, Abbots + Autumn, always yelling?

• Love 1

Well I don't know how I missed it but I didn't even get that Autumn was Amy until I came here. How was that revealed? All is know is this episode spent WAY too much time on the stupid bull riding contest and wasted more time with boring conversations like Billy telling Luke how he named all the owls. This show is just trying too hard to be Twin Peaks or something.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Well I don't know how I missed it but I didn't even get that Autumn was Amy until I came here. How was that revealed?

Royal saw the scar on her forehead from where she was cut by the broken glass during the brothers’ fight.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I’m not down for season two. Very little of this made sense to me. And my ears started bleeding every time cowboy broke into song and WTH with the buffalo and killer bear? And I didn’t really like any of the other characters, except maybe little Amy. 

• Love 5
21 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

Super annoying! I fast-forwarded through any scene where he was singing.

I actually thought the singing scenes were more tolerable than the rest!  Lol

16 minutes ago, Accidental Martyr said:

Does Autumn know she’s Amy?

Just guessing, but I would say "Yes". I think Amy's mother, Rebecca, owns that mining company that Royal is so afraid of and is bankrolling Autumn's takeover of the Abbot Ranch.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I was so glad when Royal killed Billy the Singing Cowboy! He was so annoying. How can Amy and Autumn have met in the same timeline if they are the same person? Wouldn’t someone explode?
The bison repopulation program was awesome. 😆

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
On 5/10/2022 at 8:14 PM, LittleIggy said:

I was so glad when Royal killed Billy the Singing Cowboy! He was so annoying. How can Amy and Autumn have met in the same timeline if they are the same person? Wouldn’t someone explode?
The bison repopulation program was awesome. 😆

The idea that you couldn’t meet your past (or future) self without imploding was only in Timecop.

• Useful 1

I am so glad I fast forwarded thru the last 3 episodes.   I came here to see if I missed anything and didn't!   I would have rather seen more of the talking bear and wandering bison.   I didn't care for any character and the actors sure were wasted.

I am not fond of shows like this one.  White Lotus was just as bad.  Hope that this isn't a new trend.  :)

There should be a Warning at the beginning of all of these go no where things. 

WARNING: YOU WILL WASTE MANY HOURS STARING AT THIS NO SENSE OF A SHOW.

• Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3
On 5/12/2022 at 4:50 PM, Pine said:

I am not fond of shows like this one.  White Lotus was just as bad.  Hope that this isn't a new trend.  :)

Shows featuring super annoying young women? At least we didn't have to watch someone taking a dump!

• LOL 2
(edited)

This actually was similar to Dark, but the characters were less interesting. I FF’d through 80% of it, just wanted to learn about the hole. All the characters can fight or whatever, don’t care about that part.

Edited by Ottis
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

This series was a big disappointment to me, however I’m watching a new mini series on Prime called Night Sky, that has a similar theme. It’s much better and I really like it. Awesome cast too.  There’s a thread on this site for it, but not many seem to be watching.  

• Love 1
On 5/8/2022 at 7:02 PM, CarpeFelis said:

Why did she have such a grudge against Royal? Why the heck was she trying to kill him?

This is bugging me, although my husband speculates it's something to do with Rebecca. But what's REALLY bugging me is, why did she not recognize her younger self when she met her? IIRC, they both saw the symbol on the rock, and Amy said it looks like my family's symbol (or whatever) and Autumn said, "you're an Abbott?" like she was surprised.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 5/22/2022 at 5:45 PM, Jordan61 said:

ut what's REALLY bugging me is, why did she not recognize her younger self when she met her? IIRC, they both saw the symbol on the rock, and Amy said it looks like my family's symbol (or whatever) and Autumn said, "you're an Abbott?" like she was surprised.

I'm not sure Autumn knows she is Amy. If she knew Perry was her Dad, some of her interactions with him are kind of creepy.

• Love 1

Just as confused as the rest of you. This show is enjoyable only if I remind myself that everyone is completely insane and irrational. Then it’s pretty funny. Especially the tongue-snaking, spit-exchanging so-called kisses of Autumn and Billy.

except I want to rescue Amy. Her complete neglect by the entire family is heartbreaking. Her mom should have come back sooner to rescue her.

• LOL 1
On 5/7/2022 at 10:41 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:

WAAAAY too much tongue while Billy/Autumn were kissing in the bank.

Anyone else think Billy maybe never kissed a girl before? 

• LOL 1
On 6/21/2022 at 11:02 AM, kwnyc said:

Anyone else think Billy maybe never kissed a girl before? 

Oh my god it was like dumb and dumber kissing.

Why does Amy/Autumn want to kill her grandpa?

How was Amy/Autumn's head not crushed like a melon from the bison stampede?

Why was Amy/Autumn limping one minute and not the next?

I like Sci Fi shows and thought this would be interesting but it wasn't. I ended up hate watching especially when the singing started. I will not be watching another season of this.

• LOL 1