Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E21: Risk

• Start Topic

When one of the doctors is shot outside the hospital, the ER is put into lockdown and the team races to save one of their own. Elsewhere, Devon and The Raptor work with a patient who learns he is unable to receive a lung transplant, due to his vaccination status. Meanwhile, Devon and Leela try to juggle the new dynamics of their relationship and Cade's father arrives at Chastain.

Airdate: 05/03/2022

(edited)

It makes me nervous to see Bell and Voss saying how happy they are together. On tv that usually means one of them is going to die.

Andrew McCarthy, huh? This could be very interesting.

Edited by NeenerNeener
  • Love 9

When they showed Cade's face after hearing her father was coming, I thought they were going to reveal he was one of the people in the mob trying to kill her. I guess he's just another obnoxious doctor with a big ego?

I liked the handling of the fake anti-vax podcaster. And I thought the wife divorcing him and running off to get every shot immediately was amusing, although a bit unrealistic. Don't most vaccinations happen when we're kids? Aside from Covid, how many could she have avoided getting because of him? She should have been going out to get her poor kids their shots.

I will admit I didn't feel much about Cade. She hasn't been around long enough to be emotional about her potential death. I didn't even really care about how Conrad felt about her either.

• Love 6

Unlike Conrad and it appears the rest of the staff, I had no problem with Cade leaving, In fact I was cheering as she left. With all the pushing of a Conrad/Cade romance the show was doing this episode, I was sure that she was gone. But then Andrew McCarthy showed up and I'm afraid that they're both here to stay.

Medical questions: Why didn't Cade write in her Chastain personnel file about her very rare blood? I'm pretty sure that all the medical organizations I've worked for had me fill out medical information, certainly an emergency contact which in her case would be her FBI handler. How come he didn't know about her blood and where they could get more in an emergency? That's just stupid since it was so important.

The podcaster was a jerk but there wasn't cause for hand-wringing -- the rules for organ transplant are clear. I'm not surprised his wife wanted vengeance because he put their kids at risk.

2 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Don't most vaccinations happen when we're kids? Aside from Covid, how many could she have avoided getting because of him? She should have been going out to get her poor kids their shots.

Yeah, she should have had most of her shots except for Covid and maybe some boosters. It's her kids that are suffering.

• Love 4
(edited)
8 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Aside from Covid, how many could she have avoided getting because of him? She should have been going out to get her poor kids their shots.

Let's see...shots for this year's flu, shingles, pneumonia and tetanus are 4 of them. Although I've heard the shingles shots really knock you on your butt so I don't think any doctor would recommend having them at the same time as your first COVID shot.

Edited by NeenerNeener
12 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

When they showed Cade's face after hearing her father was coming, I thought they were going to reveal he was one of the people in the mob trying to kill her. I guess he's just another obnoxious doctor with a big ego?

I liked the handling of the fake anti-vax podcaster. And I thought the wife divorcing him and running off to get every shot immediately was amusing, although a bit unrealistic. Don't most vaccinations happen when we're kids? Aside from Covid, how many could she have avoided getting because of him? She should have been going out to get her poor kids their shots.

I will admit I didn't feel much about Cade. She hasn't been around long enough to be emotional about her potential death. I didn't even really care about how Conrad felt about her either.

Cade's dad - I mean, haven't we been down this road too many times before with obnoxious, arrogant, self-important, narcissistic doctors.  This is tired (and he's on some type of drug (per the previews); we've seen that before on this show and other medical shows.  I swear, the writers are all exchanging ideas (or stealing storylines they think they fans have forgotten)

THIS ^^   all so true--especially about Dr. Eyebrows (Cade).  She talked about why she didn't want to forge relationships, get close to anyone and yet they all bonded like she'd been there since S1😂.  I feel/see zero chemistry between Conrad & Cade.  I wish the writers wouldn't force these type of relationships.

• Love 8
12 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I was cheering when Cade left the hospital. Then, I was hoping she would die. I never warmed up to the character and she doesn't bring anything to the show except extraneous drama (mob, drug ring, etc.) I don't know if the actor is doing all that she can with the role, but to me it's a very "wooden" performance. 

• Love 11
5 hours ago, NeenerNeener said:

Let's see...shots for this year's flu, shingles, pneumonia and tetanus are 4 of them. Although I've heard the shingles shots really knock you on your butt so I don't think any doctor would recommend having them at the same time as your first COVID shot.

That would be overkill. Certainly she would be getting a Covid shot. Where I live, the shingles vaccine is recommended for people 60+. The pneumonia vaccine is also for the immunocompromised and older adults. Tetanus is a possibility out of vengeance because I've only heard of someone getting it after being scratched or going to work with animals. 

Isn't it too late in the year for the flu vaccine to matter? They should be looking to Australia to see what's on deck for next year.

The multiple vaccinations felt like show overkill.

• Love 1

Where i live PCPs want you to have tetanus shots whether you need them or not every 10 years or so. I know people in their 40s and 50s who've been advised to have pneumonia and shingles shots, and as for the flu...who knows what time of year that was on that show.

I'm surprised my PCP hasn't recommended a measles shot yet.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, NeenerNeener said:

That's something I can get behind. It's recommended her for people 25 - 50 if they didn't get 2 doses already.

• Useful 1
(edited)

Of course Cade has to be the girl with the rare, golden blood type - RH null. 🙄🙄🙄

Apparently, the main purpose of Cade getting shot is just to fuel Conrad’s storyline of him still protecting his heart, and/or still in love with the ghost. The romantic interest between Conrad and Cade isn’t believable, zero chemistry, no obvious flirtation.

What an entrance by Dr. Ian Sullivan.💥

Leela trying to talk to Conrad about her breakup as if it’s a big deal while Cade is bleeding out, so immature. 🤦🏻‍♀️

The story of Joe Rogan wannabe is insufferable, propaganda? 👎🏻

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
  • Love 4
11 minutes ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Leela trying to talk to Conrad about her breakup as if it’s a big deal while Cade is bleeding out, so immature. 🤦🏻‍♀️

^^^ I forgot about that! I said out loud "Shut up, you selfish twit."

• LOL 3
  • Love 8
5 hours ago, NeenerNeener said:

Where i live PCPs want you to have tetanus shots whether you need them or not every 10 years or so. I know people in their 40s and 50s who've been advised to have pneumonia and shingles shots, and as for the flu...who knows what time of year that was on that show.

The CDC recommends the shingles vaccine for people over 50 and pneumonia for people 65 or over. So I am surprised doctors would recommend them for people who are younger, unless there are other factors. Technically tetanus is recommended every 10 years, but I've never had a doctor ask about them except after some kind of cut/injury. 

The whole thing was overkill, I thought the earlier scene of her flipping out on the husband was funnier and drove the point home better.

• Love 4

So I really would prefer the romance between Billie and Conrad if we are to see one. Cade is completely wooden, lifeless performance, no sparks, nothing. I knew she wasn’t leaving/dead because of her dad showing up. Who knows what route they will take with him? Obnoxious like cancer doctor in season 1? Or like Bell in season 1? Or like AJ in season one? All have been mellowed. Maybe he will chill out also, depending on how long he stays. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

I also see more spark between Billie and Conrad, even though I don’t want the writers to go there.  Leela was being ridiculous talking about her breakup to Conrad when Cade was bleeding out. No one cares, you fool.

Dishonest podcaster seems to be realistic nowadays. He still cares about how he looks on social media and acts like a bully. I am wondering about all the vaccines the wife got, unless her mom was also an antivaxxer and never got her MMR or pneumococcal when she was younger. Then I’m thinking flu and Tdap? I’m glad that Austin called out the podcaster. It’s hard to argue with these fools that I don’t even bother, especially when they try to go antivax on me as if that nonsense works on a doctor. Pick another idiot to brainwash.

Yay Andrew McCarthy! Now I want to go watch Pretty in Pink.

• Love 6

I’m a shallow child of the 80’s and I squeed when Andrew McCarthy appeared on my screen. A show with Bruce Greenwood AND Andrew McCarthy is must see tv for me, no matter how bad the storylines! 

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

Love Andrew McCarthy, but I doubt his character will be around too long given the look on Cade’s face when she was told he was on the way. I’m guessing they’re at least somewhat estranged, especially since he gave off huge narcissist vibes. I laughed at his “I’m here to save my daughter” line since it appears the extra blood was no longer needed.

I’m not buying any romance between Conrad and Cade. No chemistry, and she’s so lacking in warmth I can’t see her having chemistry with anyone but a department store mannequin. And she doesn’t seem like she’d make a good stepmom. She’s no Nic. I’d rather see Conrad with Billie or some new character we haven’t seen yet. Billie definitely seems interested, just from some of the conversations they’ve had.

• Love 7

What a snore. Cade is new and her entire hook was being mysterious which means I have zero emotional investment in her. 

When Devon and Leela were talking suddenly about how they needed to figure out how to work together in a professional manner right after a totally professional exposition dump, I just laughed. She's a surgeon (what specialty? who knows since that plot was dropped even though she nearly killed someone just last week) and he wants to do research. It's a big hospital. Do they even need to interact much? 

• Love 7
On 5/4/2022 at 1:45 PM, SnazzyDaisy said:

Apparently, the main purpose of Cade getting shot is just to fuel Conrad’s storyline of him still protecting his heart, and/or still in love with the ghost. The romantic interest between Conrad and Cade isn’t believable, zero chemistry, no obvious flirtation.

Honestly, the whole "there might be brain damage, THIS CANT BE LIKE NIK, everyone rally around Conrad to reassure him that he won't lose another woman to TRAUMATIC BRAIN DEATH because NIK DIED THAT WAY AND NOW CADE MIGHT OMG POOR CONRAD!!!" was just ridiculous and painful to watch. We're four years out in the story from Nik's death, at some point maybe Conrad should see a therapist. Particularly since yeah, Cade had zero chemistry and they appeared to be more friends than anything. 

22 hours ago, vibeology said:

When Devon and Leela were talking suddenly about how they needed to figure out how to work together in a professional manner right after a totally professional exposition dump, I just laughed. She's a surgeon (what specialty? who knows since that plot was dropped even though she nearly killed someone just last week) and he wants to do research. It's a big hospital. Do they even need to interact much? 

Yeah, this isn't that hard except you know, they're in the "CONRAD MAN PAIN" squad so they will be included in all of Conrad's cases.

1 hour ago, EllaWycliffe said:

Honestly, the whole "there might be brain damage, THIS CANT BE LIKE NIK, everyone rally around Conrad to reassure him that he won't lose another woman to TRAUMATIC BRAIN DEATH because NIK DIED THAT WAY AND NOW CADE MIGHT OMG POOR CONRAD!!!" was just ridiculous and painful to watch. We're four years out in the story from Nik's death, at some point maybe Conrad should see a therapist. Particularly since yeah, Cade had zero chemistry and they appeared to be more friends than anything. 

It seems like Conrad has a type - girls with daddy issues. 🙄

• Love 2

Bah, I was hoping that Cade would die.  I find the character about as interesting as dull dishwasher.  

Given that it's Andrew McCartney, I do not think he will be on the show more than 12 episodes (there is another season of the show coming up, right?).  But looking forward to seeing what havoc he will wreck on the show.

• Love 1
On 5/4/2022 at 6:25 AM, NeenerNeener said:

Although I've heard the shingles shots really knock you on your butt so I don't think any doctor would recommend having them at the same time as your first COVID shot.

Can confirm. It wiped me out and I was pretty useless the next day. I was like that with my Covid booster too

On 5/4/2022 at 11:33 AM, statsgirl said:

Where I live, the shingles vaccine is recommended for people 60+

I guess that should be 50, if you had chicken pox. I had the vaccine because I had chicken pox and my brother got shingles shortly after he turned 50, so I freaked out. It is awful and scary, he could have lost his eyesight and was in extreme pain for days, double vision for weeks. It is also a two-dose vaccine. I still need another one, ugh!

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, circumvent said:

I guess that should be 50, if you had chicken pox. I had the vaccine because I had chicken pox and my brother got shingles shortly after he turned 50, so I freaked out. It is awful and scary, he could have lost his eyesight and was in extreme pain for days, double vision for weeks. It is also a two-dose vaccine. I still need another one, ugh!

I had chicken pox as a kid, got shingles on my eyelid and it was painful as hell.  Thankfully, my vision wasn't affected.  I make sure I get my shots now.  And yeah, they do knock you on your butt for a day or so.  

• Love 2

Okay, so I watched it on hulu and at 37:50 or so, you can read the treatment plan on the screen. It actually says what they were talking about!

Her father seems rather full of himself.

When Cade drove off in her car with the FBI guy following her, I expected a bomb to go off, instead we got gunshots. I'm disappointed since gunshots means that she'll probably stick around; the character is quite wooden and there's absolutely no chemistry with Conrad; hopefully, Andrew McCarthey will make things better, though I'm not holding my breath.

Billy is definitely interested in Conrad; I hope they don't go there.

Leela talking to Conrad about her breakup whilst Cade was bleeding - how self-involved can you be?

• Love 2

With the danger Cade was in, I would think a low key, out the basement door and in a laundry truck might have been a more prudent exit.  What they did was like dangling  a carrot for the mafia.  So, the hit on her was anticipated and this was the best they could do.  Lol

• Applause 1
  • Love 4

I just got to watch the episode last night and I will dissent here on one thing - Andrew McCarthy.

What is the reason for the Andrew McCarthy excitement? I am just curious. I don't have any particular feelings towards him, I can only remember him as brooding Kevin in St Elmo's Fire, but I always thought he was just a terrible actor. Still think he is a terrible actor. 

The time jump after Nic death seem to have affected Devon's personality. The character became so unlikable to me, so entitled and "stiff". Not unlike other character, annoying to the bones, but the others didn't change so much. Maybe it is the acting, the actor/directors wanted to show him more mature as a board certified doctor and the actor cannot really act, so he changes the character completely. Maybe it is just me

The Conrad/Cade Mafia storyline continues to be a drain. I think pairing Conrad with someone was inevitable but I wish the show had had the sense to make it seem a bit more natural rather than just introducing Case as the female Conrad. They’re too alike, there’s no chemistry between them and any scene they’re in is boring as eff as it’s just the adventures of Gary and Mary Stu. 

On 5/5/2022 at 6:32 AM, twoods said:

Leela was being ridiculous talking about her breakup to Conrad when Cade was bleeding out. No one cares, you fool

It was but Conrad (and everyone else) making Cades shooting all.about.Conrad was also ridiculous. They’re not even dating. They’ve shared a mild flirtation at best.

The show is such a shadow of its season one and two self.

Edited by Avabelle
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
On 5/8/2022 at 11:39 AM, christie said:

When Cade drove off in her car with the FBI guy following her, I expected a bomb to go off, instead we got gunshots. I'm disappointed since gunshots means that she'll probably stick around; the character is quite wooden and there's absolutely no chemistry with Conrad; hopefully, Andrew McCarthey will make things better, though I'm not holding my breath.

Billy is definitely interested in Conrad; I hope they don't go there.

Leela talking to Conrad about her breakup whilst Cade was bleeding - how self-involved can you be?

My question is why the hell are they having her leave, out in the open, driving her own car, after the mob identified her talking to the FBI? She's allowed to come back to her public workplace and clear her locker out with nobody watching. And then she drives her own car with the FBI trailing. Seriously? Her cover was blown. She should be nowhere near the hospital or any public place. She should have been taken into protective custody immediately.

And of course, once she does get shot, Super Conrad shows up, and it's all about him. Running at full speed to get to her. Needing to make sure they try everything. Even telling surgeons what surgery they should do to save her. Ugh. Trying to push their story is getting so painfully obvious. This is not the Conrad we saw when this show first started. He was much more zen  And all the doctors are required to be able to save Cade. Forget everyone else. All hands on deck would be for a mass casualty event. Not one person who happens to be a doctor there. I hate to say it, but for the first time, this show is starting to look like Grey's Anatomy. 

Totally agree about Leela. She says she came in as soon as she heard about Cade, but then has discuss her break-up. 

Also, what the hell is Kit thinking holding a press conference and actually saying that the doctor who was shot is still alive? Hello, that's all the mob needs to hear to go back and finish the job. They already killed the pharmacist by infiltrating the hospital after she didn't die the first time.

On 5/14/2022 at 9:14 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

With the danger Cade was in, I would think a low key, out the basement door and in a laundry truck might have been a more prudent exit.  What they did was like dangling  a carrot for the mafia.  So, the hit on her was anticipated and this was the best they could do.  Lol

Exactly!!! Her cover was blown. Why was she even allowed to come back to the hospital?

Edited by WinJet0819
  • Love 2