Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E11: Truth And Consequences

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, Noneofyourbusiness said:

We see Lana emerge from the portal after Jon-El calls for her.

Which could just be a check in. Yes, Blana here, now.

It seems like the portal takes time to traverse, It is possible that most of the 33 days Clark was away was spent in the portal. It seemed to take Bizarro forever to get here.

4 hours ago, Avabelle said:

I can buy Lana and Clark as old friends but best friends? I really feel the show is stretch ing it a bit.

They grew up together and even dated when both were in high school. That's a far higher level than just hang-out buddies.

5 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

They grew up together and even dated when both were in high school. That's a far higher level than just hang-out buddies.

Agreed hence I didn’t say hang out buddies. I buy the them as hold friends with history but the way everyone was going on as though it was such a no brainier he’d tell her as she’s his best friend I thought was a stretch.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Avabelle said:

Agreed hence I didn’t say hang out buddies. I buy the them as hold friends with history but the way everyone was going on as though it was such a no brainier he’d tell her as she’s his best friend I thought was a stretch.

Good point. I mean, he didn't even tell Lois until things really started getting serious between them (and it took them both 14 years to tell their own children, and they both admit that waiting that long to tell them was a mistake). I'm still waiting for the history lesson about how and when Sam found out!

• Love 1
On 5/4/2022 at 10:05 AM, Chicago Redshirt said:

In terms of the contest for "the most galactically stupid woman who ever lived" (tm Tempus from the Lois & Clark series), I think Lana should still at least a runner-up. I think S&L established that Clark didn't wear glasses as a teenager. Knowing Clark as a teenager and being in love with him and his best friend, she should have been like "Hey, weird that you look exactly like that Superman guy. And you're tall like him too." She had the interaction with him last season and this one as well. Clark doesn't use a separate Superman voice and so she had an opportunity to recognize him from that. Or to piece it together from Superman stuff suddenly coming to Smallville around the same  time Clark moved back. And then there's the Clark's been mysteriously absent for the same 30 days that Superman's been gone.

ALL OF THIS!! Also, Clark did not wear glasses as a teenager in the Smallville series (IIRC). Of course, different actors were playing Clark and Lana as teenagers, but that should not matter in terms of how well the characters know each other.

On 5/11/2022 at 4:29 AM, Avabelle said:

When he left town he what, trained in the arctic. Then he was kind of a loner with a secret identity. How many close friends has Clark had?

2 hours ago, Affogato said:

When he left town he what, trained in the arctic. Then he was kind of a loner with a secret identity. How many close friends has Clark had?

I guess Pete Ross doesn't exist in this universe?

19 hours ago, Trini said:

I guess Pete Ross doesn't exist in this universe?

I don't think we've heard about him, which would indicate that they probably weren't still in contact, which would mean that, while they may have been close once, now they are not that close.

On 5/4/2022 at 11:34 AM, Diapason Untuned said:

I'll have to strongly disagree with this. Jonathan lying about the incident with Candice did harm his family, particularly their reputation in town and caused not insignificant problems for the, not to mention the football team for example.

Jonathan and Clark's lies both hurt their family, the only difference is who the lie ended up protecting in turn.

How did it hurt the football team? The whole XK thing was exposed because the original quarterback (who looked more like a left guard and didn't throw the ball very well, but was starting because... he could bench 300lbs?🙄) got sick, he was using before Jon even knew about it, that revelation would have what got the games won forfeited and season cancelled, not the fact that Jon was covering for Candace. I'm kinda perplexed as to why he didn't reveal where he was getting it himself, I don't know why he would have proteced Candace, they really should have offered an explanation for that. 

A lot of hate for Canace on this forum, and her being a "drug dealer". But it sound like her family was pretty desperate, and once she was in her supplier wasn't about letting her out.

I'm not sure it's even established that XK is a controlled substance. If it is, John Henry and Nat were doing some serious law breaking when they went to go grab some of their own. You can hem and haw over "but they are using if for good purposes", but to a kid who is forced to worry about her family losing their home or putting food on the table, those might be pretty good purposes on their mind.

For that matter, is it even on a banned substance list of PED's for sports organizations? Because trying to retroactively penalize a player or team for using something that wasn't actually explicitly banned for them to be using is not going go fly if that player or team has any desire of challenging decision.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, moonshine71 said:

How did it hurt the football team? The whole XK thing was exposed because the original quarterback (who looked more like a left guard and didn't throw the ball very well, but was starting because... he could bench 300lbs?🙄) got sick, he was using before Jon even knew about it, that revelation would have what got the games won forfeited and season cancelled, not the fact that Jon was covering for Candace. I'm kinda perplexed as to why he didn't reveal where he was getting it himself, I don't know why he would have proteced Candace, they really should have offered an explanation for that. 

A lot of hate for Canace on this forum, and her being a "drug dealer". But it sound like her family was pretty desperate, and once she was in her supplier wasn't about letting her out.

I'm not sure it's even established that XK is a controlled substance. If it is, John Henry and Nat were doing some serious law breaking when they went to go grab some of their own. You can hem and haw over "but they are using if for good purposes", but to a kid who is forced to worry about her family losing their home or putting food on the table, those might be pretty good purposes on their mind.

For that matter, is it even on a banned substance list of PED's for sports organizations? Because trying to retroactively penalize a player or team for using something that wasn't actually explicitly banned for them to be using is not going go fly if that player or team has any desire of challenging decision.

From what I understand, the ex-starting QB got sick but it was not until Jonathan claimed to be dealing XK that the football team was forced to forfeit its wins. Now maybe one can say that it was inevitable that the football team would have gotten caught up with this, but it seems clear that Jonathan's situation was the tipping point.

The show made clear why Jonathan didn't reveal Candice as the source. He loves her/has feelings for her, and he thought that because the administration would hammer her because of her background whereas because he's a good kid with a loving family who's never been in trouble, they'd let him off with a slap on the wrist. 

Presumably, if Jon had said "Oh these are Candice's drugs," the football team still has to forfeit. 

Yes, it seems strange that there would be XK-sniffing dogs or that XK would somehow be illegal/against high school football rules. But we just have to handwave that part.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

From what I understand, the ex-starting QB got sick but it was not until Jonathan claimed to be dealing XK that the football team was forced to forfeit its wins. Now maybe one can say that it was inevitable that the football team would have gotten caught up with this, but it seems clear that Jonathan's situation was the tipping point.

The show made clear why Jonathan didn't reveal Candice as the source. He loves her/has feelings for her, and he thought that because the administration would hammer her because of her background whereas because he's a good kid with a loving family who's never been in trouble, they'd let him off with a slap on the wrist. 

Presumably, if Jon had said "Oh these are Candice's drugs," the football team still has to forfeit. 

Yes, it seems strange that there would be XK-sniffing dogs or that XK would somehow be illegal/against high school football rules. But we just have to handwave that part.

I was referring as to why the former starting quarterback didn't finger Candace as his source. Clearly he had revealed that he had been using it, thus the search of the school w/ the... XK sniffing dogs. And I'm not sure how Jon dealing it would be a tipping point, the participation of an ineligible player(one using PED's) would be the rationale for forfeiting games. As soon as the original starter's use is discovered, those games are essentially forfeit, it's just a matter of doing the paperwork and making it official. I don't know if Jon had even played in a game up until the point he took over the starting job. I don't see how if would be any different if the quarterback had just been getting his XK directly from Candace's supplier.

3 hours ago, moonshine71 said:

I was referring as to why the former starting quarterback didn't finger Candace as his source. Clearly he had revealed that he had been using it, thus the search of the school w/ the... XK sniffing dogs. And I'm not sure how Jon dealing it would be a tipping point, the participation of an ineligible player(one using PED's) would be the rationale for forfeiting games. As soon as the original starter's use is discovered, those games are essentially forfeit, it's just a matter of doing the paperwork and making it official. I don't know if Jon had even played in a game up until the point he took over the starting job. I don't see how if would be any different if the quarterback had just been getting his XK directly from Candace's supplier.

I don't know if it follows that the former QB revealed that he was using XK. Presumably, Candice's customer base includes more than Jonathan and ex-QB1. Evidence of XK use from any of those other customers could have surfaced and triggered an investigation. The XK operation is also by definition bigger than just Candice, so some thread from that could have gotten the attention of the authorities as well. 

I think it's a reasonable assumption that if the starting QB went from riding the bench for most of the season to a stellar performance in one game and then was found in possession of amounts of a performance enhancing drug intended for distribution that an athletic organization would probably nuke that team's whole season. The reasonable inference at that point is that in addition to Jonathan using himself, he probably had some number of clients on the football team. 

If we are operating on the assumption that it was known to the authorities that exQB1 was using XK (which I don't believe is the case), then it is even more telling that no action was taken against the Crows and no investigation was done as to XK use until Jonathan publicly claimed that the XK he possessed in amounts intended for distribution were in fact his. 

Had it just been the case that either Jonathan or exQB1 had been an isolated user, it would have made sense to ban him, forfeit any games in which either played and moved on. Because Jonathan created the implication that he was not the sole player on the football team using, that gave a strong incentive to the league to not just forfeit the past games but also make the school forfeit the rest of the season. 

OK, Jonathan was kinda bratty about why he kept the drugs secret… but he did have a point about secrets. Rightly or wrongly, he seemed to genuinely believe Candice's (and her family's) lives were in danger if it was revealed she was trading - which is exactly what Clark has argued about protecting his identity (or had argued, prior to the Lana reveal, anyway).

That was smart from Alt!Jonathan (threatening Lana to get Clark to get caught in the Kryptonite explosion) – evil, but smart.

Good on Natalie, taking down Lana. A real chip off the old (Steel!) block.

Was not expecting the reveal at the end. On Smallville, if you learned Clark's secret, it was your death warrant, but Lana has too much plot Armour to die (I guess she could get mind wiped, like Lois in Superman II). I briefly wondered if we were going to get the “hilarious” misunderstanding where she thinks Clark is about to declare he loves her but gets called away before he can set her straight (he did start off as if he was going to say something like that).

So – did Jordan’s training with his Granpa amount to “Take a pounding for five minutes, then strike back”? You’d think he’d learn more tactics like “Dodge” and “Block”. Though I suppose if he knew he could outlast his "brother", it was valid (if painful) tactic.

On 5/4/2022 at 3:10 AM, bettername2come said:

But what the fuck trying to give it to Sarah when her mother is in mortal peril and you're keeping that part secret from her too?! Your timing is terrible. What are you thinking?

Even for teens, the “You were talking to my girlfriend!” should not trump “There's a psycho after my girlfriend's mum”!

On 5/5/2022 at 9:58 PM, thuganomics85 said:

I'm curious to see what's in store for him (especially since it sounds like he's been sent to the same sight that is housing OG Tal-Rho.)

And we know how reliable prisons are at holding Supervillains…

On 5/27/2022 at 5:27 PM, Chicago Redshirt said:

I don't know if it follows that the former QB revealed that he was using XK. Presumably, Candice's customer base includes more than Jonathan and ex-QB1. Evidence of XK use from any of those other customers could have surfaced and triggered an investigation

I don't know how it works in US schools, but it seems X-K is a newly discovered element. Maybe it wasn't a controlled substance until after the original QB was busted over it? Presumably it takes some time to add new substances to the banned list.