Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E20: Nightwatch

• Start Topic

Lucy is getting on my last nerve. She is acting like Whistler killed her puppy or something.

They are dragging this out so long I am thinking it might irreparably damage Lucy's character for me. Shame, because I adore Whistler and just want her to be happy.

• Love 7

Lucy is beyond annoying.  At this point I’d be fine with Whistler moving on, but then we would just get more sad Lucy hijackings.  Kai and Johnson - that was really well done, and I did like that everyone else got back to what they were doing except Jane.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Crs97 said:

Lucy is beyond annoying.  At this point I’d be fine with Whistler moving on, but then we would just get more sad Lucy hijackings.  Kai and Johnson - that was really well done, and I did like that everyone else got back to what they were doing except Jane.

If I was Kai I would be very annoyed at being the duty officer two nights in a row.

I get that the show is NCIS and they identified a sailor before an AUSA. But still you think with one of their own dead that local FBI office would have been jumping to even faster than Agent Holman alerted his crew. I wonder if it was just being cheap on extras or COVID protocols are still affecting productions.

• Love 2

I'm starting to have some sympathy for Whistler.  OK, I always had some sympathy for Whistler, since she never really got the opportunity to explain things to Lucy, but I was also irritated with Whistler for being so very aggressive in her professional life yet so very passive in her personal life.  She let Lucy control and direct their relationship, and apparently also let her former girlfriend control and direct that relationship.  I think Whistler truly thought she was broken up with the former girlfriend, and sealed the deal by moving away to ghost her as well.  And when the former girlfriend showed up, Whistler didn't have the guts to throw her out and just let her continue to hang out because Whistler didn't want to have that confrontation.  But Lucy is acting so butt hurt and childish over the whole thing, which was hugely obvious in the ambulance scene when she swiftly turns from berating Whistler to defending her when the FBI boss starts scolding his agent just as Lucy had been scolding her. 

I really like how at the beginning of the season, Whistler was shown to us as this one-dimensional rigid Fed who was kind of the enemy, but an enemy you used on occasion because they help you get the job done, but as time goes on we're starting to see how Whistler is a really complex character.  I was thrilled when we saw her make those mistakes last night, and then wasn't all kick-ass martial arts expert in the fight scene--she got her ass beat.  She tried, but was ordinary-good, not super-ninja good like Ziva David or Steve McGarrett, and she lost.  That was actually refreshing to see!  Not every TV character is a Mary Sue best-of-the-best at everything they do.

Poor Tennant.  She paid all that money for those fancy bath bombs, and never gets to use them.  I presume she can still drink the wine later, but you can't re-use a bath bomb.  That's a lot of money literally down the drain!

• Love 5

I agree with the above comments that Lucy is really annoying.  I really thought that seeing Whistler almost killed would have made Lucy wake up and forgive her.  But noooooooo.  Whistler has apologised (many many times) and Lucy still holds everything against her.  Whistler is way too good for Lucy, she should have no issues moving on and finding someone else, other than they are both on a TV show so they are supposed to end up together.

Why didn't Lucy just shoot the woman in the leg as she was running away on the beach.  Or at least fire a shot in the sand to get her to stop running and surrender.  Instead, Lucy almost died.

At the end, with the bookend scenes of seeing each member of the team in their personal lives, I was hoping that Kai was calling the Fish and Wildlife woman.  But nope, he called his friend the security guard to chat.

5 hours ago, Raja said:

I get that the show is NCIS and they identified a sailor before an AUSA. But still you think with one of their own dead that local FBI office would have been jumping to even faster than Agent Holman alerted his crew. I wonder if it was just being cheap on extras or COVID protocols are still affecting productions.

I agree, the Navy guy wasn't even involved other than he was a hostage.  Once they determined that, they should have turned the case over to the FBI.  But of course then we would have no episode.  And they had the fakeout with having Whistler seeing him standing over the body, making us think he killed him when really he was probably seeing if there was anything he could do for him.

(edited)

I kinda lost the plot with the bad guy, what was his plan - pretend to be a whistleblower and then when everybody around him got killed he'd chicken out and the Feds would go after his brother? 

I loved Kai and Johnson - and how subtle they kept the reveal that Johnson's wife had passed. And I had to laugh at the beginning when we saw Tenant's bathrobe slide to the ground and then the phone rang. In the next scene she answers the phone and the robe is already back on. Because a pro like Tennant is still a lady first who will never answer the phone not properly dressed. (I also suspect that Tennant is the tidy type who would put her bathrobe on a coat hanger by the door, but the gods of sexy tropes must be pacified.)

Also: RUN SKYLAR, RUN!!! 

Seriously how much more do they want to destroy Lucy's character? When she apologized to Whistler for being so hard on her before I had naively assumed it was an apology for all her unprofessional tantrums since their break-up. But nope it was just for her freak-out by the ambulance (which was actually understandable) and then it was immediately followed by another tantrum. How old is this woman supposed to be? With her level of emotional maturity she should not be allowed to carry a gun.

More also: RUN WHISTLER, RUN!!!

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 3

I agree with all the comments about Lucy’s emotional maturity. She’s so desperate, it’s embarrassing. While she adopts the “hurt puppy” affect with Whistler, and can’t speak intelligibly around her, she gazes, enthralled, at the latest date. Lots of interesting, people out there, Lucy, make friends first instead of falling head over heels in love every instant. I feel sorry for these love interests, because Lucy doesn’t really seem to have any personal interests outside of work. 

• Love 1

I haven't watched every episode, but in the earlier ones, I thought that Lucy was some hyperactive kid/relative, rather than an agent.

Lucy is being ridiculous.  Yes, Whistler ghosted her ex rather than break up properly.  Or maybe the ex was told and didn’t listen.   Whistler didn’t invite the ex - the ex flew to Hawaii uninvited and without warning.  

Either way- what more proof does Lucy need to know that Whistler wanted a future with her? She turned down a promotion that would put her back in the same area as her ex in order to stay in Hawaii.  With Lucy.  The only person currently hurting Lucy is Lucy. 

• Love 2

I admit I don’t remember much about the early episodes, but weren’t Lucy and Whistler off and on?  Wasn’t it Lucy who was reluctant to commit and go public?  I thought she was the one insisting on casual, or am I misremembering?  Because it seems to me that Lucy’s choices helped make that messy relationship.  

• Love 1

No, Whistler was the one that wanted to keep things quiet.  Lucy was pushing her to openly date but Whistler that being involved in a workplace romance would be detrimental to her professional image.   Lucy took her to dinner at that pop up restaurant where no one would know them, but by the end of the episode Whistler decided to loosen up some.  

• Useful 1
10 hours ago, Maverick said:

No, Whistler was the one that wanted to keep things quiet.  Lucy was pushing her to openly date but Whistler that being involved in a workplace romance would be detrimental to her professional image.  

And boy was she right! The scene where Lucy went from apology to ragey tantrum in seconds actually gave me vibes of witnessing emotional abuse - especially in the way Whistler reacted. That was certainly not the intention but here we are.

I have a different reading of Lucy than most in this thread.  She feels like someone who has suffered some sort of personal trauma and wanted the relationship with Whistler as something to help her move past it. 

21 minutes ago, RobertDeSneero said:

I have a different reading of Lucy than most in this thread.  She feels like someone who has suffered some sort of personal trauma and wanted the relationship with Whistler as something to help her move past it. 

The two don't have to be mutually exclusive. Either way she behaves like someone in need of therapy but I don't think that's the intention of the writers room.

On 5/8/2022 at 5:25 PM, RobertDeSneero said:

On 5/8/2022 at 5:48 PM, MissLucas said:

The two don't have to be mutually exclusive. Either way she behaves like someone in need of therapy but I don't think that's the intention of the writers room.

Lucy acts like she's 16 and just burst on the dating scene and is hypersensitive to every little change and bump in a relationship.  Moreover, she and Whistler were hardly a long-term couple and then Lucy discovered that Kate was cheating on her.  They had been on maybe two or three dates.  Unless they had committed to dating exclusively, which I don't think they had, I still don't understand how or why Lucy had become so possessive about a woman that she sort of worked with and had only been on three dates with.

Hey Lucy... maybe start off with trying to be friends with someone and getting to know them before practically planning a wedding and getting all jelly because your 5-10 years older girlfriend has had more life experience than you.

• Love 2

Lucy is totally immature.  I rewatched Spies and Lucy shoots dirty looks at Whistler throughout the meeting and snaps "shoes off!" at her like she some dopey kid.    

The thing is, when Lucy is not agonizing over romantic issues, she actually comes across as being intelligent and good at her job. Not to mention actually being a good person with a sense of humour, someone you would enjoy having around.  And then she's with Whistler, and all that goes away.

I did like Kai's little side story, his friendship with that night watch guy.  When he started talking about how he sometimes tries to get him off the phone to make him stop talking, and then saw the urn of his wife with the pictures all around it, he got a look of "boy, do I feel like an asshole right now".