Type keyword(s) to search

Season Seven: Live in Girlfriends, Long Lost Cousins, and Dark Doppelgangers

Which episode? "Rosetta" or "Legacy"?

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I seem to recall at the end of the first Swann episode, after Clark left, Swann sent a message to someone that implied to me that he wasn't as straightforward as he had appeared to Clark. I don't remember the actual content of the message, but I got the impression he was communicating with Lionel. Like I said, I cold be remembering wrong, but I've had the impression that Swann had a connection to Lionel since that first episode. ::shrugs::

Nope. There was never any question about the show ending. The ratings, if it was on ABC, CBS or NBC, it would have been cancelled; but I recall from the TWoP days, that this show was the highest rated show on the CW.

Wasn't the show shipped off to the Friday night kiss of death at one point? I seem to recall there was some discussion in another thread about how it was in danger of being cancelled at one point, they moved it to Fridays to quietly die, but the show actually rallied instead. This happens to a lot of genre shows, so I could be mixing up my shows.

Edited by DittyDotDot

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I seem to recall at the end of the first Swann episode, after Clark left, Swann sent a message to someone that implied to me that he wasn't as straightforward as he had appeared to Clark. I don't remember the actual content of the message, but I got the impression he was communicating with Lionel. Like I said, I cold be remembering wrong, but I've had the impression that Swann had a connection to Lionel since that first episode. ::shrugs::

Wasn't the show shipped off to the Friday night kiss of death at one point? I seem to recall there was some discussion in another thread about how it was in danger of being cancelled at one point, they moved it to Fridays to quietly die, but the show actually rallied instead. This happens to a lot of genre shows, so I could be mixing up my shows.

Crap! Now I'm gonna have to rewatch it again to make sure -truth is I'm often distracted by Tom's gorgeousness. But I want to say no.

I can't recall. I only remember the show airing on Wednesdays forever and then it went to Thursdays? But i'magonnahafta look that up.

ETA: Okay, we were both right regarding airings; The first season, it was on Tuesdays. Seasons 2-6, Wednesday nights, Seasons 7-8, Thursdays. And I ranted about how season 8 was going to be a HUGE FAIL, and I was right, because it was during season 9 that it moved to Fridays. Guess the CW just decided to give it one more, because there is NOTHING about Season 9 that is GOOD.

ETA 2: Regarding the end of "Rosetta" which was Swann's first episode, after he tells Clark he's (Swann) is only after the truth in response to Clark's "why me?" (being sent to Earth), we get a close up of Reeve's face, then Clark's, and then the scene changes to the farm where Clark, with Jonathan by his side, opens the ship to see the message. So there was nothing of Swann sending a message to anyone.

However, in "Legacy" Swann's second and last episode, after Clark left him, we do see him look at his computer, but it was only to show us that he has the key to the cave. And this was after Swann spoke with Lionel, because he knew if he didn't, then Lionel would keep digging. Like I said, there was nothing to indicate or imply that Swann and Lionel knew each other.

So I maintain my stance it was all a retcon when the Veritas arc aired, the show trying to tell me that Swann would even be willing to associate with the likes of Lionel Luthor as he was back then, or the Teagues.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule

ETA: Okay, we were both right regarding airings; The first season, it was on Tuesdays. Seasons 2-6, Wednesday nights, Seasons 7-8, Thursdays. And I ranted about how season 8 was going to be a HUGE FAIL, and I was right, because it was during season 9 that it moved to Fridays. Guess the CW just decided to give it one more, because there is NOTHING about Season 9 that is GOOD.

Ah, I thought there had been some discussion about this, but couldn't remember the details. Thanks for the research! I'm guessing they gave it another season because they probably had the actors on contract or something like that. Might as well eek another year out of the show then, right? 

ETA 2: Regarding the end of "Rosetta" which was Swann's first episode, after he tells Clark he's (Swann) is only after the truth in response to Clark's "why me?" (being sent to Earth), we get a close up of Reeve's face, then Clark's, and then the scene changes to the farm where Clark, with Jonathan by his side, opens the ship to see the message. So there was nothing of Swann sending a message to anyone.

However, in "Legacy" Swann's second and last episode, after Clark left him, we do see him look at his computer, but it was only to show us that he has the key to the cave. And this was after Swann spoke with Lionel, because he knew if he didn't, then Lionel would keep digging. Like I said, there was nothing to indicate or imply that Swann and Lionel knew each other.

So I maintain my stance it was all a retcon when the Veritas arc aired, the show trying to tell me that Swann would even be willing to associate with the likes of Lionel Luthor as he was back then, or the Teagues.

Ah,I see I was probably mixing up my Swann episodes. Anyway, the second one is the one that gave me the impression there was something between Lionel and Swann or at least that Swann wasn't as straightforward as he had appeared to Clark. Maybe it was just something I read into it though? Either way, that's why Swann being involved with the "astronomers" club didn't really pulse me. It was the Queens being involved that puzzled me way more. 

Again, thanks for the research. I don't have access to the episodes anymore since I've been watching them on disks from Netflix.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 1

No worries! I mean, just ask BkWurm! That having to watch Clark Tom is such an ordeal for me!

But as to Swann, he struck me as someone who would protect Clark's secret and help him figure out who he was.  He even said to Clark that if Clark really thought that he, Swann wasn't looking out for his best interests, or something like that, then he would shut everything down or something.  And was upfront with Clark about why he spoke with Lionel.  And after Christopher Reeve passed away, the show brought in Margot Kidder, to play Swann's assistant, who helped Martha get Clark "back" in Season 4 and got that stone from the accountant in jail-the same stone that was used in "Transference."  And later the same stone was sent to Clark. But then the show murdered her. It was either Jason or Genevieve that killed her or had her killed.  And of course, based on the interviews and such, I don't think the knowledge about Clark was something he would share with anyone. So, for me, it was total RETCON CITY.  But that's just me.

• Love 2

I have a question: How are Chloe and Lois related? I mean, Lois' mother is the sister of Chloe's mother?

You know, I can't recall if it has been established exactly how Chloe and Lois are cousins. I got a bit of a kick out of how Lois just showed up acting as though her and Chloe were like sisters and all, but Chloe hadn't uttered her name but once before that. That's something that always amuses me on TV. ;)

But as to Swann, he struck me as someone who would protect Clark's secret and help him figure out who he was.  He even said to Clark that if Clark really thought that he, Swann wasn't looking out for his best interests, or something like that, then he would shut everything down or something.  And was upfront with Clark about why he spoke with Lionel.  

Well, I just took it as there was a lot more that Swann knew and wasn't sharing it with Clark. Whether it was for his own interest or out of a desire to protect Clark, I couldn't say. It just left me with the impression there was more to be learned about Swann, is all. And, his assistant came off as really shady to me--more so than Swann. 

Anyway, this discussion got me thinking about whether the show maybe originally intended Swann to be what Lionel became in S6 and S7, but Christopher Reeves's death--and Margo Kidder not willing to return to the show--perhaps forced them to take a different road? It just seems like who Lionel became was more who I thought Swann was to begin with--an ally with secrets of his own and not always sure exactly where his interests lies. 

I have a question: How are Chloe and Lois related? I mean, Lois' mother is the sister of Chloe's mother?

I don't think it has every been stated.  We know for certain that Gabe Sullivan and General Lane aren't brothers. Otherwise, no one ever talks about Chloe and Lois's mom at the same time.  When Chloe was in hiding between season 3-4, the General helped hide her and went and visited her weekly, so that could imply a blood relationship, ie that Moira could have been his sister, but he never talks about it (or Chloe for that matter ever again)  Lois's mom died when Lois was a preteen and all we ever saw of her was a video tape message and she doesn't talk about her sister or her niece.

There are some that like the idea that Chloe would be a Lane via her mother's maiden name but I don't think the name is that important.  My personal head cannon is that Moira and Ellen (I think that's the right name) were sisters. 

There was talk of a missing scene from Progeny that would have had a flashback of Moira and Chloe on their way to/from visiting grandparents in Grandville (town next to Smallville) on the day of the meteor shower (thus explaining how both had abilities).  But neither Chloe nor Lois ever mention grandparents so I assumed that all sets were gone by the time they were in high school. 

Whew, made it to the end of the season. It still feels like this is an ending, to me. I know it's not, but the way they revisited old stuff--the castle being moved from Scotland; the caves; Swann and Co.; etc.--coupled with Lex and Clark having that final confrontation really feels like they were building this season to be the last. I was on IMDb looking up an actor I recognized in Apocalypse and noticed Michael Rossenbaum isn't listed in anymore episodes after Arctic until S10--then read the thread--so, now I'm wondering if his exit was planned? It could explain why this season felt like it was an ending, but if it wasn't... ?

I felt like these last episodes were rushed and underdeveloped with lots of lazy tropes and all--Sleeper should've been named "Smallville does Mr. & Mrs. Smith"; Apocalypse was basically "It's a Wonderful Life" without a Clarence; and Quest was a poorly developed "DaVinci Code"). I'm sure that's due to them cranking out scripts before the writer's strike, but it's a shame; some of those episodes could've been stellar with just a bit more work on those scripts. 

Anyhoo, too bad Chloe and Jimmy's relationship didn't have more of the one they developed in Sleeper all along, I might have found it far more engaging that way. And, even though I never hated Lana, I can't say I missed her or her and Clark's on-again/off-again. Feels like this one was a pretty final goodbye...I certainly hope so. Time for Clark to let go of his high school infatuation on her and move on, IMO.

Fortunately for all our sanity, Brainiac is also back and in hindsight he had a very good idea: just make it like none of this ever happened.

Too late.

Heh! You know, I'm actually constantly wondering how much of a brainiac Brainiac really is? Why does he need to co-opt some human's help to get the missile codes when he's a computer and could just interface with the system? And, why would he need Kara to go back in time to kill Clark? Seems like he'd be more successful if he didn't bring along someone who wanted to stop him.  Yeah, I know, where would be the story in that.;)

As for this season? Kara did NOTHING for me. I will admit, I couldn't understand why Chloe freaked out over her, well, meteor power, this season also showed me how strong the friendship between Clark and Chloe was, and it just went all to smithereens the following season, which I won't even get into, it's so rage inducing.

Kara didn't do anything for me either. But, I understood Chloe's trepidation about her meteor freakness. All the meteor freaks they've met have usually gone murderistically-whacko from the experience. I understood why she might not want to be one of those people. I'm a bit sad to hear she no longer has an ability in subsequent seasons, though. I was really hoping she would become one of Oliver's superhero posse now that they brought on someone else to be Lois. 

And to continue, do NOT get me started on the bullshit fuckery of a retcon of how Lois is suddenly this great writer/journalist, so much better than Chloe in this season. I"m not going to go over the whole Grant/Julian clusterfuck.

Oh, good Lord, when in the alternate universe it was mentioned Lois had a Pulitzer...well, the combination of groan and sigh emanating from me can not really be effectively conveyed online. Let's just say it was not a pleasant sound. I know it was an alternate reality, but still. I won't say it's exactly a retcon, but it was bullshit, IMO. I could've bought Lois being interested in the crazy stories and her curiosity dragging her into the world of journalism--which is what I kinda thought they were doing with her at the Inquisitor--but a seasoned journalist...not so much. Whatever. And, I'm someone who Lois, as a character, has grown on.

Edited by DittyDotDot

I was on IMDb looking up an actor I recognized in Apocalypse and noticed Michael Rossenbaum isn't listed in anymore episodes after Arctic until S10--then read the thread--so, now I'm wondering if his exit was planned? It could explain why this season felt like it was an ending, but if it wasn't... ?

<snip>

Oh, good Lord, when in the alternate universe it was mentioned Lois had a Pulitzer...well, the combination of groan and sigh emanating from me can not really be effectively conveyed online. Let's just say it was not a pleasant sound. I know it was an alternate reality, but still. I won't say it's exactly a retcon, but it was bullshit, IMO. I could've bought Lois being interested in the crazy stories and her curiosity dragging her into the world of journalism--which is what I kinda thought they were doing with her at the Inquisitor--but a seasoned journalist...not so much. Whatever. And, I'm someone who Lois, as a character, has grown on.

Yes, it was known that this was Rosenbaum's last season. If I recall, going back years, actors got a typical seven years contract or something, so it wasn't unknown that Rosenbaum wouldn't be back; and he return in S10 for the series finale, as he should have. But I wasn't happy with what ultimately happened and leave it at that so I don't spoil you.

As for Lois, it was a retcon and I'm not talking about the alternate universe where she's a pulitzer prize winning journalist, but in this show's present, where she's suddenly this hard hitting awesome journalist. Which, in one word, okay, two, utter BULLSHIT.

ETA: corrected to add NOT referring to the alternate universe Lois when calling retcon.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
As for Lois, it was a retcon and I'm talking about the alternate universe where she's a pulitzer prize winning journalist, but in this show's present, where she's suddenly this hard hitting awesome journalist. Which, in one word, okay, two, utter BULLSHIT

Looking back, I long for season seven journalist Lois.  At least her sudden promotion makes sense when you know that Lex made sure to fire all the good, old school reporters..  Seemed to me that he planned to use Lois as a mouthpiece.  As for her getting the job at the DP in the first place I will never not think it was done to  mess with Chloe's head.  (Praising her, giving her perks) as well as because she seemed to know something about space ships.  Grant Gabriel was doing Lex's bidding, that was clear to me.  And given that despite the perks and chances they gave to Lois, the fact that nothing she ever did as a journalist was celebrated or praised (except for the article that they were never going to publish) made her presence at the Planet tolerable.   

But season 8?  Oh my giddy aunt.  I just can't.  Have no words. 

Anyhoo, too bad Chloe and Jimmy's relationship didn't have more of the one they developed in Sleeper all along,

Sleeper is high on my hate list.  OOC behavior with the weird spy vs spy thing and then Chloe just so beaten down and weary that she turns to Jimmy even though CLEARLY she was not feeling him earlier on. 

Chimmy is high on my hate list. 

• Love 1

I LOATHE Sleeper. The asshats really expected me to buy Jimmy as some James Bond? The same idiot who thought the Kryptonian language was Egyptian? And tried to blackmail Lex? The one who was idiot enough to go to Lex to ask for help to release Chloe?!

I just hate Jimmy from this show.

• Love 1

Looking back, I long for season seven journalist Lois.  At least her sudden promotion makes sense when you know that Lex made sure to fire all the good, old school reporters..  Seemed to me that he planned to use Lois as a mouthpiece.  As for her getting the job at the DP in the first place I will never not think it was done to  mess with Chloe's head.  (Praising her, giving her perks) as well as because she seemed to know something about space ships.  Grant Gabriel was doing Lex's bidding, that was clear to me.  And given that despite the perks and chances they gave to Lois, the fact that nothing she ever did as a journalist was celebrated or praised (except for the article that they were never going to publish) made her presence at the Planet tolerable.   

But season 8?  Oh my giddy aunt.  I just can't.  Have no words. 

Sleeper is high on my hate list.  OOC behavior with the weird spy vs spy thing and then Chloe just so beaten down and weary that she turns to Jimmy even though CLEARLY she was not feeling him earlier on. 

Chimmy is high on my hate list. 

Well, her status as a professional journalist was too rushed for me, I didn't like that she became more important than Chloe (and Grant was responsible for that) but at least it made sense. She had the curiosity the Planet needed. But then, in S8 she was like the perfect reporter, too rushed as I've said

• Love 1

Well, her status as a professional journalist was too rushed for me, I didn't like that she became more important than Chloe (and Grant was responsible for that) but at least it made sense. She had the curiosity the Planet needed. But then, in S8 she was like the perfect reporter, too rushed as I've said

Oh I don't disagree, just that at the time I found things that allowed me to put up with it.  Season eight starts like she's some superstar but then they reverted to her normal characterization in Stiletto and yet we were still supposed to see her as prize worthy.   Yeah, I don't think so. 

• Love 2

seventies, the tradition has been that his father has died but Martha lives on as his little white haired mother that he sends part of his salary to as Clark Kent.  In the nineties, Lois & Clark broke the mold altogether and kept both his parents healthy and alive during the whole series

I think Martha was only alive in the TV and movie versions. Having both his parents being alive was actually from the comic books due to Superman being rebooted in 1986/87; L&C didn't introduce the idea of both parents being alive, it just followed the comic books.

And this show always had a cliffhanger; except in Season two, three, four, and six, leading up to this season

So...they only had cliffhangers in seasons 1 and 5? I'd consider most of the others cliffhangers, with season 4's cliffhanger(s) being my favorite.

Hi, I'm new here and have loved Smallville for better or for worse. I'm currently doing a rewatch of it all and have just finished Season Seven. Having never followed any forums or anything beforehand I thought I would give it a try to see what people thought.

One of the things in this thread that stood out to me (I'm not really sure why, it is quite a minor thing) was that it was never stated why Brainiac got ill after trying to infect Chloe (or whatever it was he was trying to do). Anyway, I thought it might be because she was a meteor freak and so had kryptonite inside her body. 

It was said several times that Brainiac was created by kryptonians and we have seen that he isn't affected by kryptonite externally. However, as I'm blasting through the seasons at the moment, when Clark put the green kryptonite in his spaceship, it blew up. I figured that something similar must have happened to Brainiac.

Hope that makes sense.

• Love 1

I really feel like Smallville dropped a lot of plot lines.  You mention one of the big ones.  That "What are You?" was clearly supposed to lead to something but didn't. 

It was said several times that Brainiac was created by kryptonians and we have seen that he isn't affected by kryptonite externally. However, as I'm blasting through the seasons at the moment, when Clark put the green kryptonite in his spaceship, it blew up. I figured that something similar must have happened to Brainiac.

Didnt' it turn out that Clark didn't actually destroy Brainiac's spaceship?  I mean, Brainiac WAS the spaceship, lol.  It's been a while since I watched. 

16 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

I really feel like Smallville dropped a lot of plot lines.  You mention one of the big ones.  That "What are You?" was clearly supposed to lead to something but didn't. 

Didnt' it turn out that Clark didn't actually destroy Brainiac's spaceship?  I mean, Brainiac WAS the spaceship, lol.  It's been a while since I watched. 

I wasn't referring to Braniac's spaceship.

I think we have seen three spaceships on the programme - the pod Clark came in, Braniac's spaceship and Kara's.

At the end of Season Two Clark destroyed his own spaceship with green kryptonite. I just figured that because the spaceship was made by Kryptonians and was destroyed by kryptonite, other machines like Braniac would be affected in a similar way.

I like to think the dropped plotlines aren't exactly dropped but more to do with the audience working it out for themselves :P .

At the end of Season Two Clark destroyed his own spaceship with green kryptonite. I just figured that because the spaceship was made by Kryptonians and was destroyed by kryptonite, other machines like Braniac would be affected in a similar way.

I think that's logical within what we'd seen in Smallville continuity before Brainiac  but I first Lex and then later Chloe tried to use pure kryptonite against him and he was unaffected.  So at least that particular Kryptonian built machine was immune.  

They probably could have spun that because the kryptonite in Chloe was combined with her human biology that somehow altered Brainiac's vulnerability, but I think instead what we saw was that while the kryptonite that infected Chloe could not hurt Brainiac, the changes that her meteor infection made on Chloe - the changes that gave her powers to heal - those changes were what could hurt Brainiac, not the kryptonite itself. 

I just wish they had done more at that point.  Her meteor infection felt like it was built up to be something bigger than it turned out to be.  She had that moment earlier where she asked why was she given such a powerful gift?  It felt like an unanswered narrative question, and Brainica asking "What are you?" did the same IMO. 

That said, it was probably for the best that they dropped the green tears of suck altogether.  Maybe there was some untapped potential for really good storylines but they came with a huge potential for effing things up far, far worse than they did. 

• Love 1
On 07/09/2016 at 1:18 AM, BkWurm1 said:

I think that's logical within what we'd seen in Smallville continuity before Brainiac  but I first Lex and then later Chloe tried to use pure kryptonite against him and he was unaffected.  So at least that particular Kryptonian built machine was immune.  

They probably could have spun that because the kryptonite in Chloe was combined with her human biology that somehow altered Brainiac's vulnerability, but I think instead what we saw was that while the kryptonite that infected Chloe could not hurt Brainiac, the changes that her meteor infection made on Chloe - the changes that gave her powers to heal - those changes were what could hurt Brainiac, not the kryptonite itself. 

I just wish they had done more at that point.  Her meteor infection felt like it was built up to be something bigger than it turned out to be.  She had that moment earlier where she asked why was she given such a powerful gift?  It felt like an unanswered narrative question, and Brainica asking "What are you?" did the same IMO. 

That said, it was probably for the best that they dropped the green tears of suck altogether.  Maybe there was some untapped potential for really good storylines but they came with a huge potential for effing things up far, far worse than they did. 

I guess it isn't a matter of being in proximity to the kryptonite but more to do with it being injected inside of you? The spaceship only blew up once Clark put the green octagon thing onto it. It could work in a similar way to Braniac.

Well, based on how much I fast forwarded just the first two episodes of this season, I don't think I'll have much to say in this go around. Except how much Kara Sucks. That I have to suffer another season of the Pink Pestilence, and that Lex has lost all of his layers that made him an interesting character. Hell, I think that was gone last season! He's full on EVUHL!Lex! Even his animated counterpart, with him being eeeeeevil, still had layers. So sad, really.

And of course, there's Julian. And how Chloe is thrown under the bus, and LOIS is hired and gets out from the basement of The Daily Planet, due to her sleeping her way to the top. Sorry, no one will convince me that's not how she tromped over Chloe and got/kept her job, because she SUCKED as a reporter and didn't have anything near the qualifications, talent and skills that Chloe did.

• Love 2

So I took a break so I could watch The Flash seasons I ordered and to make sure the discs weren't damaged. They weren't.

Ahem. So far, the one thing I can say is that Lana stopped talking in that whispery, gravelly/trying to sound sexy or more sophisticated voice she was using when she was with Lex last season. She's actually talking in a normal voice, and also, not the squeaky little girl voice from earlier seasons.

Laura V's Kara continues to SUCK.

I've been meaning to say this in previous seasons, but I really, really, really hate that Martian Manhunter worked "for" or "with" Jor-El; that he automatically assumes that Kara was evuhl like her father; that Clark was expected to abide by and listen to a FUCKING AI of his birth father, who continued to act like he was the flesh and blood one, with the original Jor-El's emotions and thoughts. UGH. OR, that the original Jor-El chose the Kents for his son, yet, once activated, the stupid ass AI kept expecting him to break ties with them, and leave them, and all that other nonsense. As if his real self, hadn't gone and done his own walkabout on Earth.  And that he loved Lana's cheatin' great aunt, which makes me think if Lara was sloppy seconds! Lana's entire maternal family, along with herself, RUINS EVERYTHING.

And now I'm wondering why Dean Cain's Knox wasn't allowed to have been named Vandal Savage. Because we all know that's exactly who he was!

And I was getting some X-Men vibes in "The Cure," what with Chloe wanting to get rid of her powers. I remember wishing and hoping when needy, clingy Jimmy/Henry broke up with her at the end, it would have been for good. No such luck. I'm never allowed to have nice things.

Well, onto the rest...blergh.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1

I'm not going to rehash the rest of the series, but just pick and choose what jumped out at me...again in the episodes I didn't practically fastforward 90% of as I zipped through last night and this morning:

Like, it should have been a RED GIANT FLAG in "Gemini" that Clark wasn't Clark, but Bizarro, or rather "the Phantom" as this show called him, when he told Lana that actually, he does think it's a good idea to keep watching Lex and to do whatever, blah, blah, because, I fast forwarded that nonsense. But noooo. She thinks, oh, great! Clark finally sees the light and I can show him the scientist who was infected by brainiac, instead of taking her to the hospital to find out what was wrong and to monitor her. For what purpose?

And I love that little showdown with Chloe and Lana, not only in "Wrath", but in "Persona", when in the former, she says she won't let Lana pull Clark down with her, no matter what, and in the latter, telling her that she's been part of Clark's inner circle for awhile and Lana better just STEP OFF, and take of the blinkers if she thinks there's nothing wrong with Clark. And this may be mean and petty of me, but I laughed when the real Clark showed up and told her that it wasn't him, and she's all like, but...but...it was! Remember! Chloe said something was wrong! So think! Think! Yeah, now that she realizes that she'd been shacking and fucking Fake!Clark, she believes what Chloe was saying? She really was delusional. I mean, I could see the "crazy" that they were trying to make her...at the end of "Wrath", I think, when Lionel confronted her at the end? And she was all like she hopes he doesn't try and convince Clark with these "lies" about her.

The best scene was when Clark showed up to see Chloe, and she's backing away from him, and kudos to Tom, because it was all in his eyes, the way he said, "Chloe!" and her remark about both him and his doppelganger having the same "baby blues." And when he stepped into the sunlight and his face didn't crack, and that HUG! Oh my tweenie little heart!

And in light of the successive DC shows since this one ended, I know what I'm about to say is sacrilegious, but I so much prefer and enjoy Alaina Huffman's Black Canary over the ones on Arrow. No offense to Caity Lotz. Alaina just rocked those fishnet stockings, and she looked so kewl and sexy and I actually didn't mind not hearing the screech of the Canary "Cry" and just "seeing" it, with the special effects the show utilized.

And finally. We see Ollie again! And the idiot writers continue to tell me that Lana is who Clark loves, but then we get the dialogue of Clark noticing that Chloe got hurt, and that she's been moonlighting for Oliver, and when Clark confronts Oliver, there was more emotion, more passion for Chloe and her safety in Clark's voice and body language, than for the supposed love of his life in that scene.

That said, the hug that Clark and Lois had at the end of "Siren" and also at the end of "Veritas" is just so awkward. 

And then there's "Hero" and the return of Pete. Why? Why did they bring him back? Just to be an ass? He's supposed to be Clark's childhood friend, and even when he was a regular on the show, and after he learned Clark's secret, he was always blaming Clark for that burden. Always being an ass, and just would end up having his back at the end. Yeah, yeah, it's the Kryptonite making him blame Clark for everything. That shit got old real fast back in Season three. Clark should have taken him to the Fortress and had Jor-El remove Pete knowing, since it was all Clark's FAULT Pete "had" to leave Smallville, and it was Clark's fault that Pete didn't bother to keep in touch or return Clark's phone calls.

And again with Jimmy/Henry's fucking insecurity and jealousy over whoever Chloe may have liked back when they didn't even fucking know each other or who may have been in love with Chloe. I have to force myself not to fast forward his scenes when Chloe's there, but I do end up doing that, because I'm so sick and tired of him and his whining. This is the jerk that after sleeping with Chloe once (and taking her virginity), he never called or got in touch with her again.  Yeah, yeah, PLOT when he was introduced in season six.

And I see what the show was trying to do in "Apocalypse" with Lois.  In the alt universe, they toned down the uber obnoxiousness of the character. She was like a totally different character than the one we've known and seen for the past three seasons.  And I remember how excited we all were during the initial run of this episode=because we saw Clark with the glasses! Pushing them up like Clark is known to do, back in 2008 over on TWoP.

And as I rewatched the last few episodes of this stupid Veritas/Traveler storyline, I get pissed off all over again. As if Clark were some pet animal that these rich idiots thought they could control, perverting the Superman mythology. I can't put into words the rage over how Jor-El would even create something that could kill his only son; it was stupid. Because it wasn't as if Krypton survived. He knew he was going to die, and he sent his son so he'd be safe and...and...ugh. I'm struggling to put into words the utter and sheer stupidity of it all. The zealot that is Edward Teague...I mean, him getting down on all fours and looking at Clark as if he's seen GOD. And then turning on him when Clark doesn't agree with him. The actual hero in all this was Chloe, saving Clark.

I mean, Clark kept saying Lana, Lana, Lana, but again, his actions, body language, words? told me, at any rate, he cared more for Chloe, than Lana, and him trying to hold onto that relationship was just desperation and hope that all his fantasies of being with Herself would somehow, live up to them.

That ending in "Arctic" was an insult. For Michael Rosenbaum to leave in such a pathetic manner.

Oh! The one other good thing about this season, was that Allison's hair was back to the awesome style.

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I mean, Clark kept saying Lana, Lana, Lana, but again, his actions, body language, words? told me, at any rate, he cared more for Chloe, than Lana, and him trying to hold onto that relationship was just desperation and hope that all his fantasies of being with Herself would somehow, live up to them.

Yeah, that is what I tool away from season seven. All year long they were setting up comparisons between Chloe and Lana with Chloe coming out on top over and over.  

18 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

That ending in "Arctic" was an insult. For Michael Rosenbaum to leave in such a pathetic manner.

I don't know that I agree. I found it really very moving and liked that Lex was doing this in his opinion to save the world and that you could really see the remnants of their close bond.  I hated what they did with Lex in season 8 but Lex trading in his life to save the world, seemed fitting.  

3 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Yeah, that is what I took away from season seven. All year long they were setting up comparisons between Chloe and Lana with Chloe coming out on top over and over.  

I know, right? And just as another aside, and it may just be me, but it seems to me, that Tom just elevates his acting when he's around Allison, Michael, Annette, Jonathan, because when there's grief, I can buy and accept it as real. Clark's finally breaking down and accepting Jonathan's death in "Nemesis" is a prime example; but when it comes to expressing grief for Alicia's death and even when Lana leaves him? I can see he's working really hard to try and feel those emotions, if that makes sense.

7 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

I don't know that I agree. I found it really very moving and liked that Lex was doing this in his opinion to save the world and that you could really see the remnants of their close bond.  I hated what they did with Lex in season 8 but Lex trading in his life to save the world, seemed fitting.  

I see what you're saying, but based on as a whole, and especially just this season, totally stripping Lex of all his layers and just making him so insecure, crazy, obsessed, sociopathic, and then in the finale, holding Clark and telling him he loved him like a brother, so he's decided he's going to "die" with Clark? I don't know, I guess I wanted him to go out like a rock star, or with some semblence of the Lex I loved, so I would feel...something. I have since reconciled myself and have been happy that

at least we got him back for the series finale, even though I think it should have been for more than just those few minutes!!!!

• Love 1

I don't why I never mentioned this before during my rewatches, or why it just popped into my head, but just what as the point of Lana going ALL THE WAAAAAAY into town, to get coffee and drive ALL THE WAAAAAAY back to the farm, when said coffee would have become ice cold by then? There was a perfectly good coffee machine at the farm. Now I can't recall exactly if this was when Bizzaro was in Clark's place or not. And since she picked up said coffee and drank it (COLD!), in front me, no time for Clark to heat it up with his super breath, it's just irking me now!

And I'm bored.

I assume it's about the specialty lattes and that she started drinking it right away on the trip back so only the last sips would be cold, lol.  

They stay hot a lot longer than you might expect though.   And you can order them SUPER hot if you have a longer wait time before drinking.  Like dangerous hot.  

But I loved it when she would drive from Metropolis to Smallville to spend two minutes talking to Clark and then during back to Metropolis.  So maybe she just missed pointless drives?

3 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

I assume it's about the specialty lattes and that she started drinking it right away on the trip back so only the last sips would be cold, lol.  

They stay hot a lot longer than you might expect though.   And you can order them SUPER hot if you have a longer wait time before drinking.  Like dangerous hot.  

But I loved it when she would drive from Metropolis to Smallville to spend two minutes talking to Clark and then during back to Metropolis.  So maybe she just missed pointless drives?

Ah, so she would give the cold lattes to Clark! Oh, wait. He'd probably superheat them. I always got the impression that downtown Smallville was at least 30-45 minutes away. And her cup was always in the cardboard thingamajig, and not in her hand. Yeah, yeah, I'm being nitpicky.

Yeah, I get them super hot because within a half hour, they get cold and taste nasty!

Yeah, I guess she did, heh.

(edited)

Oh, I've always assumed Downtown Smallville was like ten minutes away.  On those country roads you get to go top speeds.  I'm out in the country and the local small town is like five minutes away, fifteen if I want to go to the bigger one next door with the good fast foot options, lol.  Half hour to the one with the mall.  An hour if I want to hit the major downtown of the state.  But I suppose things could be different in Kansas.  A lot more open space between everything.

Edited by BkWurm1
1 hour ago, BkWurm1 said:

Oh, I've always assumed Downtown Smallville was like ten minutes away.  On those country roads you get to go top speeds.  I'm out in the country and the local small town is like five minutes away, fifteen if I want to go to the bigger one next door with the good fast foot options, lol.  Half hour to the one with the mall.  An hour if I want to hit the major downtown of the state.  But I suppose things could be different in Kansas.  A lot more open space between everything.

Well I always assumed downtown was close to school and he had to take a bus to get there!  And then there was that looong aerial view where all you saw were rows and rows of cornfields!?????

Now. Someone explain to me just how Lana became this perfect happy homemaker, who knew how to make the PERFECT blueberry pancakes! When she even failed at making basic coffee! All she did was strut around at the Talon...during middle and high school, she wuz Miss Popularity and involved in being a cheerleader-or Pom Pom girl, failed utterly at the coffee shop and got canned, then off to Paris and Martha took over; then got involved with and lived with Lex, where she had cooks to do the cooking!

WELL????????

Edited by GHScorpiosRule

Lana did seem really bored part of the time with Lex.  Maybe she took cooking lessons?  

Sadly I think the show just assumed she was that perfect that anything she tried to do she would just do perfectly.  As long as plot demanded it, lol.  

• Love 1

Just finished Season Seven in my binge rewatch and my biggest note from the season?  STOP TRYING TO MAKE JIMMY HAPPEN!!  I really dislike his character and the 2 episodes where he was the defacto lead were probably 2 of the worst episodes this show has ever done.  Yuck.

Needed more humor and more Oliver Queen as a whole.

I actually really liked Apocalypse a lot.  

Were they hoping Michael Rosenbaum would be coming back as Lex when they wrote and filmed the season finale?

Edited by Unclejosh
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, Unclejosh said:

Were they hoping Michael Rosenbaum would be coming back as Lex when they wrote and filmed the season finale?

No. His seven year contract was up and he didn’t renew. At least, that’s what I recall. The show suffered without him.

yeah I knew he didn't renew but the way the finale and even Season 8 began it seems like they hoped he would come back.  The cliffhanger and lack of resolution just seems weird rewatching now.

His podcast with Tom made it clear he was done with being on the show by that point.  Too bad because the show definitely missed him.

I noticed that Allison was noticeably thinner as the seasons went on and at the time I thought it was just due to the Hollywood pressure but given what we know now I wonder if the cult was starting to have an effect on her at this point.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Unclejosh said:

yeah I knew he didn't renew but the way the finale and even Season 8 began it seems like they hoped he would come back.  The cliffhanger and lack of resolution just seems weird rewatching now.

You have to think about who was running the show. Well, who was finishing their run, and it’s clear they didn't have any more fucks to give.

His podcast with Tom made it clear he was done with being on the show by that point.  Too bad because the show definitely missed him.

It, and I definitely did!

I noticed that Allison was noticeably thinner as the seasons went on and at the time I thought it was just due to the Hollywood pressure but given what we know now I wonder if the cult was starting to have an effect on her at this point.

Me too. It's just such a tragedy, all the way around, because Season Seven cemented what a great friendship Clark and Chloe had. Even though he was all "Lana!Lana!Lana!" It was Chloe he was being a friend to; Chloe who he thought about; Chloe who was there for him; 

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1