Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E06: The Wire

• Start Topic

Ugh.  I feel like they're playing caricatures  of the cast now.  Too manic, too wacky, too argumentative.  This is not the way I wanted to remember the show I have absolutely loved.  😔

• Love 6

I hate when characters that have otherwise been shown to be intelligent, act stupid for the purpose of serving a storyline.  Not sure how I feel about Grace's hair.  It almost has a purple-ish tint to it. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, txhorns79 said:

I hate when characters that have otherwise been shown to be intelligent, act stupid for the purpose of serving a storyline.  Not sure how I feel about Grace's hair.  It almost has a purple-ish tint to it. 

Agree, it sure looks too dark to be Fonda’s natural color, too dark. I thought the white roots we saw in the first episode were probably Jane’s natural hair and color. I doubt that she would still be salt and pepper at this point. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I continue to resent the hell out of Mallory having a job for which she is in no way qualified and is in fact bad at, so Brianna telling her Grace gave her the company because she knew she'd be better at running it than Mallory was a great moment.  But I don't know where the writers are going with this, because I think they think Mallory deserves some big triumph even though they've shot her a dozen positions forward overnight and she hasn't risen to the ridiculous occasion.

That awful woman they sold the company to had me yelling at the TV when she told Mallory bananas can't run a company.  Yeah, no fucking shit, that's why it was insane to offer her the job.  I know I have to let this go for my own sanity, but it's just so ludicrous!  She put an intern - who only had that position because her mother owned and her sister ran the company - in charge, one who only knows how to manage the 87 children she churned out so manages her employees that same way.  Of course Brianna is still acting like she's in charge, and being treated by everyone else like she's still in charge, because she's the one in the room actually capable of doing that job.

Also, the whole point of the job is that it's in San Francisco; it's why Brianna had to turn it down, because Barry didn't want to move.  So why is Mallory always here?

Grrr.

Once again I care nothing about Sol and Robert's story.

But I loved Nick's "What does a guy have to do to make a dramatic exit around here?" when his parole officer told him he couldn't just haul off to prison, there's paperwork to be done.  I like that Grace couldn't let him betray his friend, and Nick couldn't let her have to keep living with him.  But it's time for him to go, so I hope they don't drag this out any longer!

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 6
On 4/30/2022 at 11:26 AM, retired watcher said:

From the lack of responses I feel I'm not alone in saying I'm having a very hard time watching these episodes. I will persevere to finish up watching a show I've loved.

I'm not sure if we can read too much into the lack of responses right now.  The season just dropped a couple of days ago, and there were at least two other "big" shows I watch that dropped new seasons on or about the same day.  If I have time to binge anything, it may be something like "Ozark" where it'll be harder to avoid spoilers.  As for this show, I'll probably work in an episode every now and then.

• Love 3

I'm thinking at least most of S07E05 was filmed before a long break and this was the first episode filmed afterwards, because Jane Fonda looks visibly different and I don't mean just her hair. There's something about her face too, like maybe she had a little more work done. As for the hair, that's still a wig I think. I've seen her on talk shows with her natural hair. It's pure white and thinner than than.

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
  • Love 4
47 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I'm thinking at least most of S07E05 was filmed before a long break and this was the first episode filmed afterwards, because Jane Fonda looks visibly different and I don't mean just her hair. There's something about her face too, like maybe she had a little more work done. As for the hair, that's still a wig I think. I've seen her on talk shows with her natural hair. It's pure white and thinner than than.

Yep, I had the same thoughts too.  It was always obvious to me that she was wearing a wig so I had no doubt that this was one too.  Her hair was always exactly the same down to the placement of every hair.  I also thought Nick looked visibly different.  The others didn't strike me as being that different but I might not have looked that closely at them.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

There's something about her face too, like maybe she had a little more work done.

Not that she couldn't change her mind, as she's very open about her struggle with self acceptance, but she said in 2020 she was not having any more plastic surgery.  I saw her in an interview a while ago with a big bandage on her lip, as she'd had to have something removed, so that may have affected how her mouth looks now?  And/or she just got another year older?

Getting back to the show, I'm glad art is reflecting life in Grace realizing she's not her best self when she's partnered with a man, and deciding enough is enough; from that same interview with Jane:

She says that despite her own career success, she kept marrying men to give her an identity: new-wave cinema star with Vadim, social-justice warrior with Hayden, one half of a power couple with mogul Turner. Each time a relationship ended, she says, “I thought, ‘Well, that will be the end for me because no one’s going to want to be with me or talk to me if I’m not with him.’” The disease to please, she says, left her empty. Her singleness now is very much a conscious choice: She is dedicating this chapter of her life to herself. She repeats what has become her favourite interview zinger: “I’ve closed up shop down there.”

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1

Peter's boyfriend is so gorgeous. He is endlessly fascinating to watch. Great casting choice.

Also the "he could be with anyone, why would he be with you" line was delivered very well and I loved the reactions to it.

• Love 3

Was the Sky Masterson reference (in the conversation between Robert and Sol) a little nod to Peter Gallagher's most famous Broadway role? 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
(edited)
18 hours ago, J-Man said:

Was the Sky Masterson reference (in the conversation between Robert and Sol) a little nod to Peter Gallagher's most famous Broadway role? 

Good catch. Here's Peter Gallagher singing "Luck Be A Lady Tonight" in 1992 when he played Sky Masterson in Guys and Dolls

--which made me wonder if the casting of Sachin Bhatt as Stevie was inspired by the younger Peter Gallagher.

Edited by shapeshifter
my link didn't take
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

This show has gotten too slapstick for me but I will finish it. I don’t like Grace’s hair it doesn’t suit her in style. I’ve always hated Brianna and I certainly don’t think her making fun of Mallory at a meeting with employees is any sign that she is a genius CEO. The men are just boring, they never had an arc for them like Grace and Frankie.

• Love 2
On 5/4/2022 at 1:19 PM, Madding crowd said:

This show has gotten too slapstick for me but I will finish it. I don’t like Grace’s hair it doesn’t suit her in style. I’ve always hated Brianna and I certainly don’t think her making fun of Mallory at a meeting with employees is any sign that she is a genius CEO. The men are just boring, they never had an arc for them like Grace and Frankie.

I used to love Brianna and now I can't stand her. She treats everyone terribly now, especially Barry. Even though Mallory isn't qualified I want her to succeed at this job just to annoy Brianna.

• Like 2