Type keyword(s) to search

BBQ Brawl - General Discussion

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Maya said:

I think Don will go next and there will be one from each team in the finale (shocker). I think Tina/Bobby will win. 

Agreed.  Don’t count her out (even if she is quirky) — Tina has won so, so many bbq competitions.  

That was a surprise. I thought for sure Rashad's not quite melted cheese would send him home. Tina didn't do any proteins, wonder if that hurt her? Bobby not getting that crown roast cooked through didn't help. Is Winnie getting the winner's edit?

25 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

That was a surprise. I thought for sure Rashad's not quite melted cheese would send him home. Tina didn't do any proteins, wonder if that hurt her? Bobby not getting that crown roast cooked through didn't help. Is Winnie getting the winner's edit?

If Bobby commandeered the protein that's not entirely Tina's fault but at the same time, this was the week to get into the finale. Contestants should be cooking the main protein/BBQed item, not the mentor. (At this point I don't think Bobby/Anne/Jet should be cooking at all, but that's just me. JMO.)

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, LexieLily said:

If Bobby commandeered the protein that's not entirely Tina's fault but at the same time, this was the week to get into the finale. Contestants should be cooking the main protein/BBQed item, not the mentor. (At this point I don't think Bobby/Anne/Jet should be cooking at all, but that's just me. JMO.)

I completely agree with this.   The rule should be that the contestant is cooking the main protein and the mentor is  like a minimal sous chef.  Again, Winnie got a lot of help — I don’t want her to win the whole thing.  Really rooting for Rashad to win.  I can’t disagree with the lack of Insta-beauty of Tina and Bobby’s charred looking lamb and a big hunk of lamb is not to everyone’s taste.  Winnie’s artfully displayed platter was more eye-appealing.  Sad to say bye to Tina — not sad to say bye to Bobby.  

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Like 1

All I can say is YES!!   While I'm definitely Team Rashad, Winnie seems to pull things together at the last minute just when you think she's done for.  I thought Don would be gone by now.  The thing is, I like all three and, honestly, have never done a BBQ in my life so any of their skills is miles above mine.  

• Like 2

To me Bobby was checked out all season long.  What he should have done was steal Rashad from Anne.  I don't think Tina was strong enough this season to win.  If he wanted to win he would have taken someone.  So, for me, I think this was his out and he was fine with it. 

On a side note I think Anne is the worst competitor there is.  She was incredibly obnoxious when they were safe.  As much as I want Rashad to win, I want her to lose more.  That is bad on me for saying that but I think she is awful.  I hope she isn't back next season.  

• Like 1
  • Love 5
On 6/22/2022 at 12:38 PM, MyMaui said:

On a side note I think Anne is the worst competitor there is.  She was incredibly obnoxious when they were safe.  As much as I want Rashad to win, I want her to lose more.  That is bad on me for saying that but I think she is awful.  I hope she isn't back next season.  

MyMaui, I agree. I understand that many chefs can be egotistical and super-competitive, but I'd much rather see Anne, Bobby and Jet willing to engage in a friendly competition -- the key word here being friendly. Have fun, be supportive of your cheftestant, razz your co-stars (I think fans like and expect that stuff), but why be mean/ pouty/ truly un-gracious? I watch these shows for fun and to learn something new about methods or flavors, maybe a hot trend. There's enough cruelty in the real world, Food Network and other Discovery channels are an escape from all of that.

In that vein, I think Jet understands the balance between competition and fun, as did Michael Symon and Eddie Jackson in past seasons of Brawl. team. He wants to win, but he's kind and having fun, which certainly plays better to me, as a viewer, than Anne's queen bee/ I MUST win attitude and demeanor.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
On 6/26/2022 at 6:22 AM, binky101 said:

MyMaui, I agree. I understand that many chefs can be egotistical and super-competitive, but I'd much rather see Anne, Bobby and Jet willing to engage in a friendly competition -- the key word here being friendly. Have fun, be supportive of your cheftestant, razz your co-stars (I think fans like and expect that stuff), but why be mean/ pouty/ truly un-gracious? I watch these shows for fun and to learn something new about methods or flavors, maybe a hot trend. There's enough cruelty in the real world, Food Network and other Discovery channels are an escape from all of that.

In that vein, I think Jet understands the balance between competition and fun, as did Michael Symon and Eddie Jackson in past seasons of Brawl. team. He wants to win, but he's kind and having fun, which certainly plays better to me, as a viewer, than Anne's queen bee/ I MUST win attitude and demeanor.

Bobby generally seems to get that, too. He can be kind of grumpy (maybe more this season than others), but a lot of the time he has that same wink in his eye as the others do, and many times he's outright laughing and smiling as the others are taking shots at him. His grumpiness has sort of become his brand as he's gotten older, and he plays into it.

On 6/26/2022 at 3:22 AM, binky101 said:

I don't usually mind Bobby Flay but I'm disliking him in this show -- petty and pouty when his team doesn't do well, and downright rude when one of his team obviously needs guidance.

I've never made pizza (never mind on a grill) but why did everyone make them all so thick?  No wonder they didn't cook through and burnt.

Carson's best line this episode - "Queer Eye for the Funghi."

• Love 3
(edited)
45 minutes ago, Leeds said:

I don't usually mind Bobby Flay but I'm disliking him in this show -- petty and pouty when his team doesn't do well, and downright rude when one of his team obviously needs guidance

That’s how I’m feeling this season.  It’s not his trademark sometimes good-natured, sometimes cranky, borderline “I’m too cool” vibe this year — he seems genuinely pissed off when someone doesn’t do well or do things how he would’ve.  With Anne’s hot-and-cold behavior, it’s been a very different and less enjoyable season than when Eddie Jackson and Michael Symon were team captains.  I have enjoyed all of the cheftestants, plus Rodney, Brooke and Carson though, so it’s not been a waste of time.  Hoping for a Rashad win tonight.

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 5

Well, I am just delighted with the winner -- thrilled for Rashad.  I'm hoping this is the beginning of many great things for him.  It was a fun finale and really stretched the chefs.  I so enjoyed seeing Rashad and Don's friendship and believe they'll stay close pals long after the show.  I didn't love seeing Bobby swagger in as the guest judge -- ugh, his ego just seems massive to me and I find him so off-putting.  He also has one of the worst RBF which doesn't help with his grumpy persona.  

• Love 1

I didn't make it to the end, so I'm happy to hear that Rashad won.  Bobby was obviously unhappy from the beginning and I would be spectaulating if I tried to identify why.  I hope that they look at this season and why Bobby was so cranky/distanced and if they can't make the appropriate changes, they scrap plans for future episode. Of course it all comes down to ratings and money, and Bobby Flay has lots of pull.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, tvchick said:

I didn't make it to the end, so I'm happy to hear that Rashad won.  Bobby was obviously unhappy from the beginning and I would be spectaulating if I tried to identify why.  I hope that they look at this season and why Bobby was so cranky/distanced and if they can't make the appropriate changes, they scrap plans for future episode. Of course it all comes down to ratings and money, and Bobby Flay has lots of pull.

I wasn't paying as close attention to this season as the last (I was really missing Erica 🥰) so I didn't really notice Bobby's bad mood, but I'll take others' word for it.

I wonder where the filming of this season fits in chronologically with when Bobby was negotiating his contract with Food Network? For awhile there they were not able to come to terms and were going to part ways, but then they reached an agreement. Perhaps that was going on, or at least still fresh in his mind, at the time of this filming, and he couldn't quite get in the spirit.

Anne and Bobby have worked together many times before with no discernable issues, and Jet seems too nice to cause any conflict, so I doubt it was a personality issue with the other two chefs.

Speaking of being too nice to cause conflict, the producer-prompted trash talk from this final three was pretty lame 😆 They were all too nice to pull it off. That's a mark in their favor, but it was a bit cringe-y to watch, poor things.

I am very glad Rashad won. Was Carson saying Rashad's name correctly? It sounded funny to me.

Did Winnie even touch her pig? She made the rubs, the injections, and the sauces but Jet seemed to be the one taking care of it. Glad Bobby was able to find something nice to say about each contestant. 

4 hours ago, tvchick said:

Bobby's production company produces the show, so if the show is back, he will be a part of it. 

I finally had time to watch the finale and I'm just thrilled for Rashad.  I've been pulling for him all along.  I liked Don a lot too but he was weaker throughout the competition.  Both of those guys were originally chosen by Jet so he picked winners.  I don't remember who picked Winnie at the beginning.  

I hope they have Eddie Jackson back next season.  It seems like he's under-utilized on FN but maybe that's his decision as he has a business to run in Texas.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, mlp said:

I finally had time to watch the finale and I'm just thrilled for Rashad.  I've been pulling for him all along.  I liked Don a lot too but he was weaker throughout the competition.  Both of those guys were originally chosen by Jet so he picked winners.  I don't remember who picked Winnie at the beginning.  

I hope they have Eddie Jackson back next season.  It seems like he's under-utilized on FN but maybe that's his decision as he has a business to run in Texas.

Anne picked Winnie. She and Jet swapped teams in the second (?) episode. Bobby retained his team members.

I'm probably the only person who likes Anne.

Yes she's a nutter but I find her very authentic in her craziness. She's like the ultimate Tiger mum. She simply cannot help herself. I much prefer this to disinterest. I usually like Bobby but I found him very disinterested this season.

I also like Brooke as a judge. She's very serious but she doesn't say things for sound bites. She's just really serious about food and cooking. I like that.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
(edited)
4 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

I'm probably the only person who likes Anne.

Yes she's a nutter but I find her very authentic in her craziness. She's like the ultimate Tiger mum. She simply cannot help herself. I much prefer this to disinterest. I usually like Bobby but I found him very disinterested this season.

I also like Brooke as a judge. She's very serious but she doesn't say things for sound bites. She's just really serious about food and cooking. I like that.

I actually like Anne too and totally agree with your point about preferring her over-interest to someone cranky and uninterested.  The only times I don't like watching Anne are when she veers into mean.  She seemed to love the team she ended up with after the switch-arounds and was such a huge support to them.  

Jet is still my favorite.  But I don't like how much Jet seemed to be in the forefront of Winnie's cooking.  He saved her many, many times -- because of this, I feel others should have been in the finale over Winnie.  Bobby was the opposite -- he let people fail because he knew the contest was ultimately about the chef and their abilities and time management.

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 3
(edited)

I like Anne 90% of the time; the other 10% is unpleasant.  She really let her team shine.  Agree with the comment about Jet saving Winnie more than once. In fact, I don't think any of the mentors should have major responsibility for the protein.  I stopped caring about Bobby a long time ago because he's so predictable -- alternating pouty with pleasant.  You just know with Bobby that's going to happen.  As much as I like Anne and Jet, I would also like to see Michael Symon and Eddie Jackson re-appear, not necessarily together.  The judges work well.  I'm not a fan of Brooke, but Carson and Rodney cancel her out for me.   And, oh yes, I'm thrilled that Rashad won.

Edited by schnauzergirl
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, HyeChaps said:

Since it doesn't look like Next Food Network Star is coming back any time soon,  I would like to see Rashad turn up on some other programs.

You read my mind.  When Rashad won, I literally said “a star is born”; that is, IF he wants that.  He is everything — very talented, so personable, warm, connects well with others, attractive.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Watching the Michael Symon BBQ USA show right now and one of the featured teams is the family of Sunny who we saw on BBQ Brawl.  Her husband and kids are all competing with her.  Fun to see her again — we’ll see how they do…

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
6 minutes ago, schnauzergirl said:

New BBQ Brawl season begins July 10 with Bobby, Anne Burell, and Sunny Anderson.

Well, that is a major shame.  I cannot stomach loud Sunny.  Anne is barely better.  Yikes.  Sad to say, but this season will be a pass for me.

• Like 7
2 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

For me, too. I turn off Beat Bobby Flay when she shows up unexpectedly.

I do too.  I also don't watch The Kitchen because Sunny is so loud and obnoxious.  On the Easter baking show she does, she's just fine.  If she acted like that all the time, I could tolerate her.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, mlp said:

I do too.  I also don't watch The Kitchen because Sunny is so loud and obnoxious.  On the Easter baking show she does, she's just fine.  If she acted like that all the time, I could tolerate her.

Maybe she'll be more toned down in this since she's a mentor. 

Ah hell, what am I smoking? 🤪

• LOL 2

I'm not a great fan of Sunny, but she was a judge when Chopped did it's military theme and came across as thoughtful and helpful.  I like BBQ Brawl so will watch.  Now if Bobby Flay would leave, that would make me happy.

• Like 2

I used to think Sunny was a yelling banshee but she's fantastic on the Easter show and was a very thoughtful judge on military chopped. Depends on which Sunny appears here. 

Haha I love Anne. Anne absolutely devotes herself to her team. She is way too much but I like the sincerity. 

• Like 4

For some reason, I'm thinking the outdoorsy venue and the imprecise nature of grilling will have Sunny turned up to Chaos 11.

i agree that she was very dignified on the Military Chopped episodes, so we know she can do it, but I'm not counting on that kind of self-discipline in a show named Brawl.

If I can handle Sunny, I'm looking forward to watching Anne.  She won't want to match Sunny's volume--how's she going to manifest her leadership?

(I admire Anne.  I think she must've had a tough time getting to where she is.)

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Anne didn't come off the best last season.  She micromanaged and kinda talked down to her team.  They're skilled chefs but she seemed to be in Worst Cooks teacher mode.   No one came right out and said anything but you could tell it created some tension in her team.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
10 hours ago, Maverick said:

Anne didn't come off the best last season.  She micromanaged and kinda talked down to her team.  They're skilled chefs but she seemed to be in Worst Cooks teacher mode.   No one came right out and said anything but you could tell it created some tension in her team.

She sure did.  Anne came across SO badly and even the judges were commenting quietly off to the side about how tense Anne was.  She calmed down a little as the season went on but it wasn't a great vibe from her.  

I'm concerned that on BBQ Brawl, Sunny will be the loud-obnoxious Sunny version because she always is that way around Bobby.  It's weird -- on The Kitchen and on BBF, Sunny's loudness seems to be such an attempt to get attention, like "look at me, look at me".  I enjoy her very much when she's just at a normal level like the Easter show and the Military Chopped show.  

On 5/31/2023 at 6:41 PM, schnauzergirl said:

New BBQ Brawl season begins July 10 with Bobby, Anne Burell, and Sunny Anderson.

That's unfortunate. I like this competition, but I'm working my way through Outchef'd S1, and Anne just isn't fun or that personable.  She's obviously a talented chef, and she takes her profession seriously, which is commendable.  However, being on television just doesn't seem to be her thing.  I wonder why she continues to do it?  She comes across like it's physically painful for her to be on camera.

Sunny's OK on SBC: Easter because she always seems like she's on a sugar high.  That fits with Easter being about sweets.  However, I wonder how she'll be here.

• Like 1
On 7/7/2023 at 8:43 AM, MerBearHou said:

I'm concerned that on BBQ Brawl, Sunny will be the loud-obnoxious Sunny version because she always is that way around Bobby. 

obviously, this show needs the combo of Sunny AND Brian Malarkey to really drive people away.

and FYI Sunny, I live like 30 minutes from Half Moon Bay, NO ONE calls it "PCH" up here in Northern California. It's simply "Highway 1." That's for Southern California types only.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, eelpout said:

obviously, this show needs the combo of Sunny AND Brian Malarkey to really drive people away.

and FYI Sunny, I live like 30 minutes from Half Moon Bay, NO ONE calls it "PCH" up here in Northern California. It's simply "Highway 1." That's for Southern California types only.

There are no No Cal peeps on the show, so I don't expect them to know what we call Highway 1 here. 

• Like 3

I have never seen anyone put a whole beet on a grill before. That thing had to have been hard as a rock.

Also - Seems kind of unfair that a guy who was a judge on Beat Bobby Flay is competing. 

So far I like almost everyone.  I don't care for Brooke but I recognize that she's a great chef and knowledgeable and she does seem OK on this show.  Sunny has been fine too.  I used to like her years ago before she got so loud and obnoxious and she seemed more like that old self.  I wonder if TPTB told her to tone it down.

I wonder how Ippy has suddenly resurfaced.  I just saw him on Alex vs. America a few weeks ago and didn't even recognize him.  I liked him when he was on FNS years ago but I think he's probably too laid back to hold his own with all the stronger personalities on this show.

I don't think the blonde woman who wants to cook healthy stuff will last long.

21 hours ago, mlp said:

[...]

I don't think the blonde woman who wants to cook healthy stuff will last long.

"I don't really see anyone doing a lot of healthy barbeque."  Ha.  My eyes rolled back so far, they fell behind the couch.  Nice knowing you, Redshirt.

• LOL 6

Not too sure about Sunny on this show.  Did she go up to Bobby and take his trophy away because he won with her original group?  I thought that was weird and came across mean spirited.  Maybe its just me.

Blonde chick was never going to make it on this show.  Why come on a BBQ show if you don't really do BBQ?  Or does she?  It's almost as bad coming on the show as strictly a Vegan.  The Healthy BBQ was classic and a great exit comment.  Bub Bye.

• Like 3