Type keyword(s) to search

BBQ Brawl - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Not having Symon back was surprising.  The show was originally built around the two of them and their friendly rivalry.  Maybe it was a scheduling conflict.  

Anne and Jet will be fine on this, but not the first chefs I think of when you say barbecue. 

On the judging side, I wish they had replaced Brooke. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I wish it would have been Eddie and Jet if Michael couldn't do it.  I don't care for Anne when she is a competitor too.  I know she is the head of her team/mentor but she will have to compete in some of these cook offs. I find her obnoxious when she is a competitor.

• Love 6

This show has gotten very Food Network incestuous.  Carson was on a season of Worst Cooks with Anne, who also did several seasons of that with Bobby.  And Jet and Brooke have faced off on ToC.  I think Anne and Brooke are the only ones that haven't crossed paths on FN. 

I'm sad not to have Michael back. I love him on everything. Anne Burrell is the opposite, for me. Too competetive and a general PITA. I agree that I will miss Eddie, though I do like Jet.

On 4/27/2022 at 2:18 PM, MyMaui said:

I wish it would have been Eddie and Jet if Michael couldn't do it.  I don't care for Anne when she is a competitor too.  I know she is the head of her team/mentor but she will have to compete in some of these cook offs. I find her obnoxious when she is a competitor.

I also agree that Anne gets very obnoxious.

• Love 4

Eddie, Jet, Michael are always favorites of mine.  I enjoy Carson’s commentary so it’s good to see he’s back.  I’m ambivalent on Brooke — she doesn’t bother me but she’s not a fave.  Anne can be obnoxious so we shall see.  I’m glad the show is back — it’s a fun competition.  Very surprised Michael isn’t back — Bobby and he are like best friends / brothers.   

6 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

Eddie, Jet, Michael are always favorites of mine.  I enjoy Carson’s commentary so it’s good to see he’s back.  I’m ambivalent on Brooke — she doesn’t bother me but she’s not a fave.  Anne can be obnoxious so we shall see.  I’m glad the show is back — it’s a fun competition.  Very surprised Michael isn’t back — Bobby and he are like best friends / brothers.   

I'm guessing Michael isn't back because he's been opening restaurants and also doing his own show.  Maybe a timing conflict.  I'm not a huge Bobby fan, but love Michael.

• Love 2
54 minutes ago, schnauzergirl said:

I'm not a huge Bobby fan, but love Michael.

Ditto here.  I’m not even slightly a Bobby fan, but the show is fun so I tolerate him <barely> — love the BBQ concept. 

• Love 1

What happened to Season 1 and Season 2 comments?  Is it just me who can't find them?  Reason I'm asking is that I missed Season 1 when originally aired, but watched it yesterday and am interested in reading what was said about it.  Thanks!

(edited)

This was fun mostly, except the way Anne chose to play.  Anne is wound up big-time for this — she needs to chill.  Her ugliness to the guy on her team was out of balance — seemed very personal.  The other judges and team captains noticed her bossy intensity and mentioned it several times to which she rolled her eyes or grimaced.  She’s not a great fit for the vibe of this show.  

I’ve seen Tina compete before and she’s super talented.  Will be nice to watch her on BBQ Brawl.

Carson is quippier than ever — he adds a lot to the atmosphere.  Talented group of chefs.  

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 4

Seriously Anne, take a valium or something.   WTF is wrong with her?   I know she's competitive but she had toned it down some the past few years.   But this was probably the nastiest I've ever seen her.  I don't thing she was this bad in her first go around with Robert Irvine.  You know her original team was thrilled when they lost and were traded to Jet.     

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Maverick said:

Seriously Anne, take a valium or something.   WTF is wrong with her?   I know she's competitive but she had toned it down some the past few years.   But this was probably the nastiest I've ever seen her.  I don't thing she was this bad in her first go around with Robert Irvine.  You know her original team was thrilled when they lost and were traded to Jet.     

For me, she came close to ruining this episode altogether.  It was bizarre and ugly to watch.  I sincerely hope that the producers tell her to read the room and treat her team better.  

• Love 3
(edited)

I remember Tina (pearls lady) from her winning turn on the Netflix barbecue show, which I loved and wish would come back. She is very, very good at this and should definitely be a top contender. 

Anne Burrell ….dang. She’s really not rolling with the friendly-trash-talk vibe of this show, is she? I don’t think that guy on her team took anything off her station, I think he was just asking???? Hopefully she was just nervous and will calm down. 

Edited by BryroseA
  • Love 3

This is the Anne I dispise when it comes to these kinds of shows.  She is rude, obnoxious, and just a bad sport.  I can't believe they couldn't find someone else to take that spot.  You're the team leader Anne, when your team asks you a question of where to find something don't bitch at them.  Her team got lucky they lost.  I feel sorry for the team Jet had.

I liked the previous seasons when it was fun back and forth smack talk.  Two team captains have it too bad she didn't.  The one bright spot that had anything to do with her was Carson making the comments about her.  

• Love 6

I was surprised to see Anne as a judge here because she's also a Worst Cooks judge and that current series is still going.  Couldn't they find anybody else?  I would have loved Eddie Jackson from Season #2 to be back.  Anne seemed OK until the actual competition began and then BOOM!  Some skillful editing was done to make it sound as if her team enjoyed working with Anne.  

• Love 5
On 5/11/2022 at 7:30 AM, schnauzergirl said:

I was surprised to see Anne as a judge here because she's also a Worst Cooks judge and that current series is still going.  Couldn't they find anybody else?  I would have loved Eddie Jackson from Season #2 to be back.  Anne seemed OK until the actual competition began and then BOOM!  Some skillful editing was done to make it sound as if her team enjoyed working with Anne.  

Anne's not a judge, she's a team captain. There are three people judging her team's food. 

She also can't control what shows of hers air when. I figure, hey, it's better to deal with her now for two months if it means we're free of her for the other ten months of the year. 

6 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Anne's not a judge, she's a team captain. There are three people judging her team's food. 

She also can't control what shows of hers air when. I figure, hey, it's better to deal with her now for two months if it means we're free of her for the other ten months of the year. 

Of course, you're right about Anne's status.  Senior moment on my part.  I realize FN makes the decisions -- I'm just questioning them.  Good point about two months.

(edited)
On 5/10/2022 at 10:21 AM, MerBearHou said:

For me, she came close to ruining this episode altogether.  It was bizarre and ugly to watch.  I sincerely hope that the producers tell her to read the room and treat her team better.  

Maybe someone did talk to her, because the first thing out of her mouth for the main team challenge was "Tell me what you guys are cooking." 

Edited by LexieLily
  • Love 1
(edited)

Anne was 1000x better tonight and I actually enjoyed her interactions with her team.  They were led well and seemed so cohesive.

Bobby, on the other hand, seemed disengaged and grumpy the whole episode.  I noticed it well before the James accident.  He wasn’t connected to his team at all tonight.  

Poor James — a pure accident with the grill was such a shame; yes, he should have asked Bobby what to do about serving the meat.  I could see James’ logic if he thought the meat never touched the ground, but clearly the charcoal and maybe some of the gravel popped onto the meat.  As Bobby said later, James panicked — I was sorry for James, but he did have to go.

Jet is just a wonderful leader.  His team isn’t perfect, but they’re tight and communicated well / cheered each other on.  

A much more enjoyable episode than the first when Anne was a pain to watch.

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 6
(edited)

Hard to argue with the winning team this week.  I was so happy for Rashad because that was a risky decision, but an important one, for him to watch over the barrel fires and keep the heat where it needed to be instead of cooking.  He even adjusted well as the fire burned down which benefited his team’s later cooks.

Hard to lose Michelle — she is one of my favorites (and a talented hometown cook here).  Pretty crappy that Winnie took up so much cook space with her quiche that Michelle had to pivot from her bread pudding prep late in the game and there wasn’t enough time for her grains to cook.  Loved her temperament.  Winnie got very lucky tonight.  

What’s going on with pissy, surly Bobby again this week?  That’s the Bobby Flay I don’t care for.  

Comparing Jet’s encouraging, kind words to Michelle when she had to leave vs. Bobby’s snarly, dismissive, barely looking at James “you cooked good while you were here” when James departed showed the vast difference in Bobby and Jet.  I hope in the coming weeks Bobby seems to be enjoying himself more, but we shall see…

This show would be far less enjoyable without Carson.  I do like Rodney and Brooke as well too, but Carson’s spark and wit at just the right time adds so much.

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 5

I think Winnie should have been sent home.  Uncooked bacon in her quiche is a worse offense than Michelle's uncooked grains.  Especially tough because at this pont I was rooting for either Michelle or Rashad to win.

Anne has really pulled herself together after that disastrous first show.  She and her team are a great combination.  Bobby seems to want to be anywhere else.  Jet, of course, is Jet -- enough said.

• Love 6

I always want Jet to win stuff but, honestly, the judges made the right decision.  Both of the other teams made better food.  I would have eliminated the chef with under-cooked bacon though.  Anne's team is doing really well.  I like the guy who was managing the barrels.

• Love 2

Anne still treats her team members like they are on Worst Cooks and not BBQ Brawl. Having her as a teacher would stress me out so much more than whatever the challenge-of-the-week is.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, HyeChaps said:

Oh, wow, was Bobby pissed off. 
Hey, moron, let the burger expert take charge!

I didn't blame him.  That guy made one bad decision after another and deserved to be eliminated.  

I'll be surprised if Winnie lasts much longer.  She's seemed weak from the start and has been saved by someone else or another team doing worse.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I'm getting tired of Tina's negativity. She's incredibly talented, she just needs to do her thing and be quiet about what others are doing. Sunny's arm muscles are impressive. Wonder if the guys on Anne's team overshadowed her since I didn't expect her to be such a powerhouse. Anne does need to light a fire under her team since their time management skills aren't good. Bobby should be more aware of what's happening on his team.

• Love 2

Coming here to say that Tina can leave any time.  I wasn't sorry she got negative feed-back on her dish.  Winnie is out of her depth and has that deer-in-the-headlights look.  Right now I'd be happy with either Sunny or Rashad winning it all.

• Love 2

I'm honestly having a hard time with this season.  It's just not like the previous two.  I like Jet and think he is great.  Still not a fan of Anne's.  Bobby picked a crappy team to me.  Both people he lost would make me mad because they were for silly mistakes.  Tina just needs to shut up.  You had the best dish on your team because the other guy was a moron who decided to focus on a burger.  She was that way last week. I wouldn't be shocked if she goes in a couple weeks too.

• Love 1

I'm having a hard time enjoying this season also.  Bobby has been in a foul mood since the beginning; Anne has been overly involved without being helpful; and the contestants are struggling too much. 

I'd be okay with Tina getting eliminated but would that allow Bobby to poach Sunny or Rashad, one of whom is the likely winner, at the last minute?  

• Love 4
(edited)

The “poaching” is so strange. What’s the point of coaching a great team if someone is just going to take your best person when their crappy team is whittled down to one person? 

Edited by Maya
  • Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, Maya said:

The “poaching” is so strange. What’s the point of coaching a great team if someone is just going to take your best person when their crappy team is whittled down to one person? 

I'm not sure how it's supposed to work at this point in the competition, either, because each team only has two people. So every week the losing judge can steal a team member from another team? Anne and Bobby's egos wouldn't allow it but Anne in particular is so competitive that doesn't it incentivize losing?

Edited by LexieLily
  • Love 1

So at this point, Bobby will poach Sunny, leaving Jet with Winnie who is likely to go next week or the following.  He'll be out of the competition then, I guess.  I have a feeling that this will all work out ok for Mr. Flay.

5 minutes ago, tvchick said:

So at this point, Bobby will poach Sunny, leaving Jet with Winnie who is likely to go next week or the following.  He'll be out of the competition then, I guess.  I have a feeling that this will all work out ok for Mr. Flay.

Bobby may poach Rashad or even Don, both of whom have proven to be solid. 

34 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Either of which might be happy to get out from Anne's micromanaging eye. Sunny didn't look broken up at all for being 'stolen' from Anne's team.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I would love Bobby to poach Rashad.  Then, I am hoping, it would be a Rashad, Don, and Sonny final 3.  I think they are the strongest ones.  I don't think Bobby will not use his grab another team member this time like he did last season.  Tina isn't as strong, my opinion.

(edited)
4 minutes ago, MyMaui said:

I would love Bobby to poach Rashad.  Then, I am hoping, it would be a Rashad, Don, and Sonny final 3.  I think they are the strongest ones.  I don't think Bobby will not use his grab another team member this time like he did last season.  Tina isn't as strong, my opinion.

Those three are Jet's original team, aren't they?

Edited by LexieLily

Seriously Tina, just because he didn't steal anyone, I don't think Bobby needs your help. Knew he was getting the advantage. I wish the team brawl sent the captains far away. Let's see what the contestants can do on their own. If the judges are going to judge the unusual cue, shouldn't they have had it before? Just because they don't like it, doesn't mean it's not cooked properly.  At least they made the final decision based on the sides.

• Love 1

Agreed, @Grizzly, and I'll raise you one that at this point the team captains shouldn't be cooking anymore, period, and not in the individual pre-cook when the winning team gets an advantage for the main cook. TBH the best part of the episodes is hearing the judges shading Anne for how she acts with her team. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

I think Rashad and Tina are the strongest cooks left.  As much as I like Jet, I don't think he can win with Winnie who hasn't been really strong all along.  I don't care for Tina and I do like Rashad so I hope he wins.  I like the other guy on Anne's team too (can't think of his name right now) but I don't think he has the chops to win.

• Like 2

I can't believe that Winnie outlasted Sunny.  Sunny really did not know what to do with the offal proteins -- so sorry they did her in.  You could tell that Rashad loved the interaction with Rodney Scott -- I mean, who wouldn't.  I've seen Tina cook in competitions before so her personality is already known to me -- I like her alot and wow, she knows bbq meats.  She's a funny person and is super comfortable with almost anything thrown her way.  Winnie, on the other hand, often needs guidance from others like Jet or Sunny so she doesn't screw up or mismanage her time even worse than she already does.  Don is so sweet (and I root for my hometown guy) but he seems a little out of his depth.  I hope Rashad wins out of these folks left.

• Like 3

So sorry to see Sunny go.  I'lm surprised Winnie has made it this far.  I doubt if Don can pull off a win, which leaves Rashad and Tina.  Both have had some issues, but -- and I know this is unfair in a skills competition -- I just like Rashad more than I like Tina.  She may be one of those people who "grow" on you, but that hasn't happened for me.  I see Rashad's potential for appearing on other FN shows, Tina not so much.  

• Love 2