Type keyword(s) to search

S29: Emma Slater

• Start Topic

Just finished a special Holland America cruise. Emma, Kym, Tristan, Sabrina, and Carson were on board.

Have to say I was much more impressed with Emma than I've ever been on the show. She's an excellent, dynamic dancer when she has a partner that can show her off. And getting to watch her do complete dances is a bonus! She said in the Q&A that she started off wanting to be an actress, and I think you can see her sense of drama in her dancing.

Another one who impressed me is James Taileva. He was the dance captain for the cruises, and part of the troupe. Anya Garnis too, for you SYTYCD fans. James has enough energy to light up the whole auditorium. And the wing span of two men! Really enjoyed watching him dance. He's unusual in looks and personality, but he might be fun on the show.

Just finished a special Holland America cruise. Emma, Kym, Tristan, Sabrina, and Carson were on board.

Have to say I was much more impressed with Emma than I've ever been on the show. She's an excellent, dynamic dancer when she has a partner that can show her off. And getting to watch her do complete dances is a bonus! She said in the Q&A that she started off wanting to be an actress, and I think you can see her sense of drama in her dancing.

Another one who impressed me is James Taileva. He was the dance captain for the cruises, and part of the troupe. Anya Garnis too, for you SYTYCD fans. James has enough energy to light up the whole auditorium. And the wing span of two men! Really enjoyed watching him dance. He's unusual in looks and personality, but he might be fun on the show.

Good to hear about Emma. She hasn't had much of a chance to show off her skills with her celeb partners on DWTS.

Although you've spelled the last name differently, I think the James you are referring to is Jaymz Tuaileva. He was on Season 2 of SYTYCD (booted after Top 14) and auditioned as a Jazz dancer.  He's from Orem, Utah.  The same place as Allison Holker, who was on the same season as he was.  Jaymz (don't know if he's kept that spelling or not) also appeared (uncredited most of the time) with the Troupe on DWTS and in various Macy's Stars of Dance routines. A funny story about him is that for (one of) his dance for your life dances he did a Paso.  Nigel Lythgoe questioned him about it and he replied that he woke up that morning and "just felt like a Paso...".  

Jaymz had been on DWTS for at least a couple of seasons (probably more) so consistently that I added him to the Troupe thread over at TWOP.  

Back in Season 2 of SYTYCD I was not aware of the amount of cross training many of the dancers had, so I assumed Jaymz was delusional when he chose to do a paso (which Nigel reinforced with his remarks) but now I'm thinking that - especially for the Utah trained dancers - he, and probably Allison, took ballroom dancing as well as a lot of other styles when growing up.  He certainly was getting work as a Ballroom dancer within 4 years (?) of his SYTYCD Jazz debut on TV. 

And returning to Emma.  I finally caught up with last season and heard her say something about her "former" boyfriend being able to do a great Wookie impression. Does that mean she and Sasha have broken up?

Edited by Anothermi

No, I hope not! They did an interview together in June. Emma's been traveling, but pretty sure she had a boyfriend or two before Sasha.

Yes, that's the "James" I was referring to. And I remember that solo on SYTYCD!

Emma and Sasha apparently did break up.  She posted this on Twitter on September 12

"Sash, we created many many beautiful memories, all of them I'm grateful for. I'll cherish the journey we traveled together and will always have deep respect for you. Even though life has now taken us in separate directions, and we will no longer head for the same future we once visioned, I'm so grateful I've had this time with you. I believe my life was enriched through knowing you so well. I only wish you the absolute best you can ever wish another person."

I think she's fun to watch in the rehearsal packages as well as on the dance floor. I loved her explaining Brit slang (whatever word she used to describe his muscular upper body) to Alek.

And she's made Hayes kinda interesting too, which I would not have expected at the beginning of the season (though my opinion could have been tainted by my teen son's dismissal of Hayes as a d-bag).

I'm just glad she has a better partner than Michael Waltrip, who was painful to watch.

Odds on Emma getting a old no hoper for the rest of her DWTS career just shot up! Seriously though, it'll be worth it for that mirrorball she now has. Congratulations to a great pro and person.

One of the posters wrote that Sasha and Emma were given gifts this season for announcing their engagement on the show.  Maybe so but I'm glad she finally got someone she could win with.  It just looked like TPTB were trying so hard to make Sharna happen that they had forgotten about Emma.  She and Rashad worked well together from day 1.  She really knew how to choreograph for him to put him in the best light.

He wasn't my favorite but Congrats!!

(edited)

My main hope for Emma is she no longer has to fight for a pro spot season to season.  It was only a few seasons ago she was left off the roster entirely and then when she did come back she was competing with Jenna for pro spots.  I hope this season has raised her value in the eyes of TPTB.  I don't need her to have the best of the best every season as I don't expect that for any pro, but there is no reason she shouldn't get viable partners the way Sharna or Peta or Lindsay do most seasons.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 6

Emma has been blonde for every prior season (as long as I have seen her) so I actually had difficulty recognizing that new brunette until she was the last pro standing and process of elimination made it obvious.  Does anyone know if she is naturally blonde or has she gone back to her natural dark hair at this time?

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, sd dude said:

Emma has been blonde for every prior season (as long as I have seen her) so I actually had difficulty recognizing that new brunette until she was the last pro standing and process of elimination made it obvious.  Does anyone know if she is naturally blonde or has she gone back to her natural dark hair at this time?

I always thought the blonde looked fake on her. She has dark features. She looks really good and natural as a brunette.

• Love 1

Yep, I know her only as a blonde and I like her that way very much.  I'm not saying the dark hair looks bad, just that I need a couple weeks to get used to it.  She'd probably look great bald. (note to Emma. . .no need to prove it. . .)

• Love 1