Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E14: The Night Before the Wedding

• Start Topic

19 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Kevin/Sophie met because of Kate, didn't they? Little Sophie was Little Kate's friend.

I seem to remember it was at a party. Sophie was Kate's guest but became better friends with Kevin. I think they were around ten in that episode.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, OhSarah69 said:

Question - when Little Kevin wrote Sophie’s name on that Valentine card, did he never give it to her?  If he did give it to her, presumably she would have kept it, for awhile at least (not 35 years!), so how would Kevin have it?  Or did he write it but not give it to her, explaining why he would still have it in his possession?  The mind boggles.

I had the same question. Was he too nervous to give it to her then? Did she keep it and years later give it back?  It would make sense if he got nervous, never talked to her, and then met her through Kate I guess. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
7 minutes ago, BoogieBurns said:

I thought the bully at the pool was Sofie, purposely spelled different. She signed her lil name. I figured there were 2 Sophie/Sofies in their class 

It said will you be my valentine, yes/no

Once he got her answer on the card, he took it back because she answered the question. That was my assumption

Oh, so there were two Sophies when realistically (for their age group) there likely wouldn't even be one? Or anyone in their class named Ella (one of the names Kevin wrote on the Valentine)? I know, I know, I have a problem, but details like that drive me crazy.

But yay for next week's long-awaited Miguel episode.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I had the same question. Was he too nervous to give it to her then? Did she keep it and years later give it back?  It would make sense if he got nervous, never talked to her, and then met her through Kate I guess. 

I guess Kevin had the forethought as a first grader (or whatever grade it was) that he might come off too creepy & aggressive to give the new girl a Valentine card. Doubtful but I’ll go with it for storyline purposes. LOL!!!!

• LOL 4
48 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Also, real nice upstaging your sister at her own wedding reception, you ass!

That wasn't Kevin's fault. He and Sophie were sitting alone off to the side in the room.  Blame the rest of the Pearsons for making it a big deal. 

• Love 19
16 minutes ago, Evie said:

Yeah, I guess I'm dead inside because that did nothing for me. The Valentine he apparently carried around for 40 years was just too much. All the talk about Kevin finally having grown up didn't really work for me when we saw him with his revolving door of women in the Katoby episode and he immediately tried to get with Cassidy after Sophie rejected him. Seemed like the same old Kevin to me. Sophie and Kevin don't even know each other so how does she know he's finally the man she's been waiting for.

This episode just made me feel sorry for Sophie's now ex husband and how convenient that they divorced between the engagement party and wedding. He never had a chance if she's secretly been waiting for Kevin to grow up all this time.

Kevin didn't know Sophie was divorced (not that she gave any sort of good reason why she and her ex-husband divorced) and Sophie asked Kevin how his kids were the way you do when you meet someone you haven't seen in years. If at this point in time Madison/Kevin ironed out a joint custody arrangement Kevin has the kids at least a weekend or two a month, if not every other week. How can Sophie handle Kevin's children when she barely knows the adult, non-addict version of Kevin?

Kevin married Sophie once and dated her again when they were adults, and since then he dated Olivia, Sloane, Zoe, had children with and was engaged to Madison, and then proceeded to date a string of random women before bringing that vapid blonde woman to Nicky/Frannie's second birthday and then the State Farm woman to the engagement party. Kind of hard to believe that it's "always been Sophie" for Kevin. 

Edited by LexieLily
  • Love 13
3 minutes ago, brokenwing29 said:

Oh, so there were two Sophies when realistically (for their age group) there likely wouldn't even be one? Or anyone in their class named Ella (one of the names Kevin wrote on the Valentine)? I know, I know, I have a problem, but details like that drive me crazy.

Three Jennifers, a couple Michelles and Melissas, and at least one Erin...

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
11 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

Randall's Buffalo Bills story that had no point beyond "life is crazy, but your relationship isn't" is some of the worst writing I've ever seen on this show.

I think someone high up on the writing staff must have heard about those shirts years ago, and gotten a laugh from it, and decided, "This HAS to go in the show somewhere! Who cares if it makes any sense?"

Thank you.  Had no idea where he was going.  It made no sense.  I’ve heard about those shirts going to less fortunate but I don’t think it’s crazy.  That makes sense.

leave it to Randall to try to make everything profound.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I feel like this is the kind of episode you get when a show has too large an episode order and not enough story to fill it.  While I'm glad they have finally resolved Kevin's love life, it also was a storyline that could have been resolved in about ten minutes.

• Love 13
31 minutes ago, OhSarah69 said:

Question - when Little Kevin wrote Sophie’s name on that Valentine card, did he never give it to her?  If he did give it to her, presumably she would have kept it, for awhile at least (not 35 years!), so how would Kevin have it?  Or did he write it but not give it to her, explaining why he would still have it in his possession?  The mind boggles.

I think she had given it back to him with the “yes” circled indicating she would be his valentine. I don’t save episodes (one viewing is more than enough these days😊), maybe someonelse could confirm  

• Love 9
32 minutes ago, OhSarah69 said:

27 minutes ago, BoogieBurns said:

It said will you be my valentine, yes/no

Once he got her answer on the card, he took it back because she answered the question. That was my assumption

Yes, she must have circled "yes" and given it back to him.

I was very impressed that little Kevin spelled "Sophie" properly.  Lots of adults can't.

25 minutes ago, CleoCaesar said:

A good point from a Redditor:

Sophie: Can we love each other for the people we are now and not the people we were decades ago?

Kevin: Sure! Here’s a Valentines card I saved from when we were 5 years old!

That's why Kevin kept saying "in lieu of".  He knew it was a symbol of their past, but Sophie insisted he say what he was planning to say.  And then she loved it.

• Love 7
27 minutes ago, CleoCaesar said:

A good point from a Redditor:

That’s why Kevin kept saying “in lieu of” because he knew he was going to say something that directly contradicted Sophie’s point. But, I guess the valentine was so sentimental that she forgave him. I think the valentine is what someone else said that Kevin out “Will you be my valentine Y or N” and Sophie must’ve circled and gave it back. She had to have received it at some point to understand the sentimentality of Kevin keeping it, as unlikely as that is. I do have a couple momentous tucked in my HS yearbook from my first love, so it’s not unlikely to keep something. I just don’t buy that he’d keep it in his wallet the whole time. 

ETA: Jinx with @ItCouldBeWorse! Lol

In response to those who are saying that Kevin is the same old Kevin because he propositioned Cassidy right after Sophie rejected him, that was half-hearted at best. To me, it was obvious he didn’t mean it. He was feeling sorry for himself and was wallowing a bit. He knew Cassidy would say no. 

I didn’t remember the little girl in the pool’s name who bullied Kate. I actually forgot about that scene until mentioned here. But,IMO, SoPHie was ALWAYS going to be end-game for Kevin. There’s no way Kevin’s Sophie is the same Sofie at the pool. I just don’t believe they would have this supposed great-love be a bully to Kate. It was stupid of them to have her name be Sofie when it literally could be anything else, but I just can’t buy that it was meant to be THE Sophie. 

• Love 11
38 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

Randall's Buffalo Bills story that had no point beyond "life is crazy, but your relationship isn't" is some of the worst writing I've ever seen on this show.

I think someone high up on the writing staff must have heard about those shirts years ago, and gotten a laugh from it, and decided, "This HAS to go in the show somewhere! Who cares if it makes any sense?"

I interpreted Randall's Buffalo Bills analogy as " Who cares what the whole world thinks- they're often wrong and don't know the details"  Randall may be assuming that people will question or side eye Kevin for getting back with Sophie AGAIN.  But only Kevin and Sophie opinion counts-no one else.  Just like billions of people in non NFL watching countries don't know Buffalo is 0-4 in Super Bowls.  But their opinion and 'evidence' of Super Bowl championship shirts are immaterial 

• Useful 1
  • Love 12

Party of one, I enjoyed it!

I love love stories. And I love happy endings. 

Beth, Edie, Phillip, and Sophie. Solid Pearson significant other/in-law group. 

Edited by funnygirl
  • Love 16

Thinking Kevin would show the V-day card to Sophie much later, dating, married, dropping by after that.

Remember when the Big 3 had a birthday party and each one wanted their own? Randall had no friends, not even Kate that were around her...they, and Kevin and Sophie, were eating popcorn and watching the Princess Bride.

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, brokenwing29 said:

I seem to remember it was at a party. Sophie was Kate's guest but became better friends with Kevin. I think they were around ten in that episode.

They were all in school together. I think they were at an age when girls invited other girls to their party and boys invited other boys. But Kevin had a Princess Bride party to impress Sophie, so he knew her before that.

Although 6-year-old Kevin seemed to be giving every girl in his class the same valentine, so maybe Sophie was just the only one that responded positively?

11 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

I kept looking at my watch. Much of this episode was boring. 

That speech Randall gave to Kevin was rambling and nonsensical for the situation. Did the second string in the writers' room win a bet and they got to write the Randall/Kevin scene?

So, Sophie stops Kevin from speaking and gives him the Pearsonesque speech about how she needs him to love her for the woman she is now. Kevin searches his wallet and pulls out a ~35 year old valentine, cementing the idea that he's been in love with his idea of her from the past for decades and THAT'S when Sophie decides he's grown into the man she wants. 

Seriously, what are they smoking in that writers' room?

Sophie's speech is a nice idea, but she and Kevin haven't spoken in years. How can they even know what the other person is like today, let alone know if they love each other? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 12

I'm just glad it is over and there will be no more "Who does Kevin end up with" drama

Kevin and Sophie made the most sense even if they rarely had chemistry.

All the flashbacks lead to this even if it really does not make any sense.

I was hoping that they would show Kevin as happily single but singlehood is an abomination on this show.

• Love 11

Congratulations to all the long-time Kophie fans! For so long, I've been Anti-Kophie, but Alexandra Breckenridge is such a good actress, and she and Justin Hartley had great chemistry, so now I'm sold.

I like how, even though the trailers made it seem like Kevin had three options, in the show proper Sophie was the only option. I especially like that Cassidy states that, even though they were both in better places, they're not each other's person. (Leaving the door open for my crack ship, Future!Matty/Annie)

I do wonder if they will make Kevin and Sophie have a baby. It's possible, but with Sophie more than likely trying in her late 40s, it would be much more difficult. Unless they adopt, although I believe that most places don't let you adopt unless you or your partner are 45 or younger. Naturally, of course, you can have a loving and meaningful relationship without children, like Rebecca and Miguel.

Speaking of Miguel, I know that next episode is going to break my heart, and I' looking forward to every single second.

• Love 11
13 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

Sophie's speech is a nice idea, but she and Kevin haven't spoken in years. How can they even know what the other person is like today, let alone know if they love each other? 

I said the same thing! And Kevin's wedding ring in the flash-forward to the cabin/Rebecca's deathbed implies that he is married to who we now know is Sophie but realistically they would probably break up within a year or two after Kate/Phillip's wedding. She's still hung up on who he was back then and how he treated her, and they don't know anything about these new adult versions of each other. What do the Adult Kevin and Adult Sophie have in common other than the memories of their past romance(s)?

I think of the three main options over the course of the series - Sophie, Cassidy, Madison - Madison was the best choice of romantic partner for Kevin. They were written together versus written in the stars. [/Miguel.]

Edited by LexieLily
  • Love 9

I'm glad it wasn't the wedding singer, we knew it would be Sophie. So I'm ok, I did like the scene of them at the wedding. I still think Madison was better choice though for adult Kevin.

• Love 9

I thought Justin Hartley really sold this. He was so good and I loved watching him. 

Sophie has weird teeth. 

The Kate/Philip scenes made me cringe. Kates “aww” when Philip said something about Pearson trivia was so lame. 

• Love 10

I don't understand the Madison would have been best for Kevin with comments on here.

Perhaps she loved him...perhaps not and hoped he did -  however, he did not love her and she understood that and moved on.

Edited by maggiemae
  • Love 14
On 4/25/2022 at 8:42 PM, chitowngirl said:

The night before Kate's wedding, Kevin's love life takes an unexpected turn.

In other words, what most of us were expecting.

2 hours ago, brokenwing29 said:

We saw how Kevin and Sophie met and that wasn't it (plus, they were a few years older). I didn't feel it was earned (as someone else commented) with this rewrite. And they can't love who each other are "now" because they have no idea who that is - they just pulled Sophie out of thin air after umpteen episodes. She and Kevin didn't even keep in touch enough to know that she was divorced. 

Agree. The producers were so invested in making it a "gotcha" that 2024 Kevin and Sophie don't really know each other. It's a happy ending for 6 year old Kevin who apparently has been carrying around a valentine he made for Sophie 40 years ago but in an episode that is supposed to show how much Kevin has grown, it reinforced his childhood feelings, not his adulthood. The myth of the perfection of Jack and Rebecca's soulmate marriage lives on.

• LOL 1
  • Love 17

Although I could see it coming last week, particularly with the references to The Princess Bride, their special movie, I enjoyed it-I guess I am just a sucker for a happy ending!

I don’t know why I felt the need to look it up, but when I saw The characters talking, I found out that Mandy Moore is actually one year younger than Alexandra Breckenridge!

• Useful 4
  • Love 3
40 minutes ago, qtpye said:

I was hoping that they would show Kevin as happily single but singlehood is an abomination on this show.

All the kids want a great marriage like their parents (at least from their childhood point of view.)  It's ingrained in them.

Rebecca knowing and recognizing Sophie will make it easier for Kevin than a relationship with anyone else.  Rebecca is not going to remember who Phillip is, for instance, and Sophie won't resent the time that Kevin will spend with Rebecca.

Should we predict that married-to-Kevin Sophie goes from traveling nurse to (at least part-time) in-home caretaker for Rebecca near the end?  I don't like the idea of Kevin living on the East Coast while his kids are in California, though, so I hope Madison and Elijah choose to move East, also.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

Agree. The producers were so invested in making it a "gotcha" that 2024 Kevin and Sophie don't really know each other. It's a happy ending for 6 year old Kevin who apparently has been carrying around a valentine he made for Sophie 40 years ago but in an episode that is supposed to show how much Kevin has grown, it reinforced his childhood feelings, not his adulthood. The myth of the perfection of Jack and Rebecca's soulmate marriage lives on.

I didn't ever watch How I Met Your Mother so I can't speak to the storylines but I remember how their finale got SO MUCH CRITICISM for how their resolution undid everything they'd built in eight seasons in order to make an ending fit that didn't fit anymore. Kevin/Sophie being endgame reminds me a little bit of that. 

Edited by LexieLily
  • Love 10

Surprise, surprise. It was Sophie all along. 

This really didn’t need to be drawn out in one episode. I wonder if we would’ve had all of this back and forth with Kevin if the actress who plays Sophie hadn’t booked Virgin River. 

Anyway, I’m glad it wasn’t the wedding singer and I’m glad Cassidy won’t be subjected to Pearson speeches for the rest of her life. Onward. 

• Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4

Everyone cheering at the end made me laugh so hard. I don't think that was what the writers wanted, though...

2 hours ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

I want Cassidy's pajamas.

I admit that I'm not the biggest sportsball fan but Randall's Buffalo Bill's Super Bowl Champion sweatshirts metaphor totally lost me.

Yeah, I didn't fully get it either - I know that they send the clothing of the losers to other countries, since they don't just destroy it I guess - so because of that, people who get those clothes think the Bills won a lot so they have a totally different view than the Americans?

• Love 3

Dry cleaning owner is trying to close but is nice enough to accommodate them. Me: "Geez, stop talking and pay attention to picking something out ASAP! You can talk about what's going on in your lives and Kevin's kids later." Then, instead of pulling the car over to the side of the road for their long walk, he leaves it just sitting in the middle of the road. Pearson!

For some reason, I've never liked Sophie and really hoped things would eventually work out with Madison instead of having her end up with her schlubby husband. Cassidy was my second choice, even more so after the glances and moment they seemed to have at the cabin that night before she took off in the car, and then the tenderness and emotion he had for her later in the hospital. Damn it!

Edited by Scout Finch
  • Love 18

Where was Cassidy when she asked Kevin to come help her with something? In a hotel by herself? I was thinking she was with the rest of the fam and was surprised that no one else could help her unzip her dress. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

All the kids want a great marriage like their parents (at least from their childhood point of view.)  It's ingrained in them.

Rebecca knowing and recognizing Sophie will make it easier for Kevin than a relationship with anyone else.  Rebecca is not going to remember who Phillip is, for instance, and Sophie won't resent the time that Kevin will spend with Rebecca.

Should we predict that married-to-Kevin Sophie goes from traveling nurse to (at least part-time) in-home caretaker for Rebecca near the end?  I don't like the idea of Kevin living on the East Coast while his kids are in California, though, so I hope Madison and Elijah choose to move East, also.

There is nothing wrong with wanting a great marriage but the idolizing of Jack as perfect has really warped Kevin and Kate's idea of what a real relationship is like. They want a fantasy and in reality, would probably be divorced from their second marriages soon because no one can live up to this ideal. Randall got very lucky in finding Beth who knows how to deal with his foolishness.

However, in this show, they will all live happily ever after and that is fine. I am okay with a sappy happy ending for this show.

• Love 15

Amazing how Sophie happened to find a dress on the unclaimed rack at the dry cleaner's that not only fit her perfectly but also had a color that flatters her skin tone. 🙄

And even though her luggage had been lost (what kind of person checks luggage for a three-day trip?) and she said she only had a pair of extra undies on her, a second bra in her size magically materialized for her the next day after she left the one she'd been wearing in Kevin's room, because she was definitely not braless at the wedding.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 9
  • Love 13

Ok I know it may be stupid but I’m so happy Sophie and Kevin are together.

Randall’s speech to Kevin was cute.

Yes Sophie gave the speech. I am stupidly happy about Kevin and Sophie! Yay!

I wasn’t sure after all the stuff they’ve had them go thru putting Kevin and Sophie back together was gonna work out but I think it was done really well.

Nicky made me laugh. I always like his interactions with Kevin and Cassidy.

Altho I lose my debit card like every other month how does Kevin still have that Valentine’s Day card. I’ll allow it lol cause it was cute lol.

Edited by Marley
  • LOL 3
  • Love 7

Well that happened.

5 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Honestly, I’m just happy that we don’t have to watch another Pearson get together with some rando we know nothing about as their endgame. I’ve been been unsure about Sophie/Kevin, but I’m alright with this. They really do have great chemistry. More importantly, Miguel episode coming up!

This is where I'm at.  I was genuinely stressed out when Kevin was talking to the wedding singer.  I was thinking "Shit, no.  I do not need another cop-out Pearson relationship in an episode now with 1/3* the investment." And honestly, if they'd spent an entire episode on Sophie without having them resolve their shit one way or another it would be ludicrous. So I shouldn't have even flinched. By the time Kevin and Soph were exchanging glances through the night it was a fait accompli. 

But ugh... I'm still largely indifferent to Kevin and Sophie after 6 bleeding seasons. And the valentine in the wallet was almost worse than Fought-with-my-blind-and-barren-wife-over-how-trying-to-have-kids-ruined-us-then-she-DIED.  I mean, yes it is canon that Kevin was an emotional fuckwit and utterly clueless about love.  But, my guy... No.  If you're carrying around the valentine you made for your childhood sweetheart ex-wife, other people shouldn't have to tell you that you aren't invested in other relationships.  

Side note: Did they change how Sophie and Kevin started?  It was strongly implied in the 10 birthday episode that Kate and Sophie were established as BFFs and Kevin's crush was news when he started monopolizing her.

Whatever, at least we're finally getting our Miguel episode.... AFTER 5 3/4 SEASONS!

*Yes I'm aware that 1/3 of 0 is undefined. Don't math at me when I'm on a roll!

Edited by RachelKM
Typos
  • LOL 8
  • Love 7

One word … !!!YES!!! Although I thought Kevin and Sophie should have gotten together at her mother’s funeral.  

I don’t see Kate and that scrawny Englishman working out, although he’s such a spineless milquetoast that he may just put up with all her bullshit.  I don’t understand that relationship AT ALL!  Toby did all he could to keep their marriage together, including giving up his dream job in San Francisco.  All she ever did was berate him for everything once he moved back to L.A.  Kate is just a bitch and I no longer have any good feelings for this character.  I wonder why the writers saw the need to destroy her in this manner.   Did the actress piss them off?

Looking forward to seeing Miguel’s story next week.  I hope we get to see Big Jack again.  I also hope they close the series by showing Little Jack’s story about his rise to fame as an entertainer.  

Does Deja end up with her Harvard boyfriend?  Does Randall become a senator?  There is a lot to cover in only a few episodes.  This easily could have gone another season ... 🙃🤔

• Love 9
10 minutes ago, ChattyCathyLA said:

Does Deja end up with her Harvard boyfriend?  Does Randall become a senator?  There is a lot to cover in only a few episodes.  This easily could have gone another season ... 🙃🤔

Randall is already a Senator at the wedding, isn't he?

• Love 5